PDA

View Full Version : Another prop question

buzzaro
06-22-2006, 05:51 PM
Ok first the boat: 23' Cobra Razor, 454 mag, 24p 4-blade,
At WOT not sure of the speed but is at 5k +- rpm
With just my wife and I in the boat it gets up on plane just fine but with 5 people and all the gear it takes a bit to get up on plane, so I was wondering what prop I should go to if Im gonna have a full boat and want to pull skiers/boarders/tubes or whatever. Would a 22p work? Should I try something lower even? Im not sure how much you will notice the 2p difference, if it would be large or just barely noticeable. Any suggestions?

Havasu47
06-22-2006, 06:02 PM
A 22 will help, a 20 might not have enough pitch to get a 23' boat pulling out a skiier. What ever you end up with yo will have to monitor the top end rpm's.

buzzaro
06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
A 22 will help, a 20 might not have enough pitch to get a 23' boat pulling out a skiier. What ever you end up with yo will have to monitor the top end rpm's.
What do you mean by not enough pitch? What happens when you drop the pitch too low for any particular boat?

bordsmnj
06-23-2006, 08:00 PM
picture a dragtser trying to get off the line with some silly little wheels on the back. BIG burnout no going anywhere. same thing with too small of a prop. it just "blows out". the motor over powers it and it just spins and slips and cavatates through the water. gotta have enought bite(pitch) to hook up. :cool:

AirtimeLavey
06-24-2006, 03:13 PM
I have Lavey 24 NuEra, 502 mag. Had same issue. Dropped to 22 prop, and can pull skiers up no prob. I'm 6'3, about 210, and most of my buddies are close or smaller. Obviously, gave up some top end, but can't have it all... :cool:
Some shops will let you rent them, or test them before you buy.

BajaMike
06-24-2006, 03:20 PM
Ok first the boat: 23' Cobra Razor, 454 mag, 24p 4-blade,
At WOT not sure of the speed but is at 5k +- rpm
With just my wife and I in the boat it gets up on plane just fine but with 5 people and all the gear it takes a bit to get up on plane, so I was wondering what prop I should go to if Im gonna have a full boat and want to pull skiers/boarders/tubes or whatever. Would a 22p work? Should I try something lower even? Im not sure how much you will notice the 2p difference, if it would be large or just barely noticeable. Any suggestions?
I would suggest you get an inexpensive, 20", 3 blade aluminum prop for skiing and heavy load days. Aluminum flexs a bit, so you get a better hole shot, and they are less then $100.00
As someone said, it might be easy to over-rev the engine, so make sure you never go over 4900 rpms.
:idea:

buzzaro
06-25-2006, 05:25 AM
I have Lavey 24 NuEra, 502 mag. Had same issue. Dropped to 22 prop, and can pull skiers up no prob. I'm 6'3, about 210, and most of my buddies are close or smaller. Obviously, gave up some top end, but can't have it all... :cool:
Some shops will let you rent them, or test them before you buy.
Cool thanks, ill definatly have to check w/ the shops around here. Ive also heard that mercury might have a program to test props?