PDA

View Full Version : Custom Steering Arm Extension

probablecause
06-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Where can I get a longer than normal steering arm extension for this setup? It is about 12" long
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1838extendedpump.jpg

garret
06-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Call Tom Papp Racing at 951-734-4606 He will get you the piece that you need

james
06-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Where can I get a longer than normal steering arm extension for this setup? It is about 12" long
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1838extendedpump.jpg
Call Phil Bergeron in Mesa Arizona 480-834-1531. Also feel Hi Tech Performance can give you a better setup instead of a droop and extention. It looks like your bending the water to many times.

olbiezer
06-23-2006, 04:07 AM
why the extention on the jet drive? i cant see where that is doing any good also.......u can make a extention for the steering arm with a pice of pipe its about all the experts do.....

FLEA DIDDY
06-23-2006, 07:09 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/521/1838extendedpump.jpgMaybe a stupid question but why is the wedge that way? My wedges turn the nozzle/diverter up not down. :rollside:

Taylorman
06-23-2006, 07:10 AM
Maybe a stupid question but why is the wedge that way? My wedges turn the nozzle/diverter up not down. :rollside:
Depends on the boat. Some need wedge up, some down. Its all about fine tuning.

FLEA DIDDY
06-23-2006, 07:14 AM
Depends on the boat. Some need wedge up, some down. Its all about fine tuning.cool, I have never seen anybodys put in like that.

FASTRAT
06-23-2006, 10:04 AM
why the extention on the jet drive? i cant see where that is doing any good
i agree...very good ???...with what i have read & seen on boats on these forums...i have never seen both the ext & droop!...i dont have a clue why u would want to bend the water 2 different ways?
fastrat

Some Kind Of Monster
06-23-2006, 10:12 AM
i agree...very good ???...with what i have read & seen on boats on these forums...i have never seen both the ext & droop!...i dont have a clue why u would want to bend the water 2 different ways?
fastrat
If it's never been done before then I want to know how it runs. It doesn't make sense to me either, but rig something up so we can see some results!

SHIFTY
06-23-2006, 10:13 AM
IF THE BOWL EXTENSION IS STRAIGHT, WHERE IS THE WATER BENDING THE 2nd TIME?

probablecause
06-23-2006, 11:23 AM
TAYLORMAN: Right on the money. Mine had to be wedged down. Unless I wanted a 100 foot vertical roost. PS. I like you signature picture. Still got it I see. A+
SOME KIND OF MONSTER: Exactly! I am going to give this a shot and see how it works. The way I calculated it, it is like having a setback pump now and a droop.
SHIFTY: Common sense prevails again. You are right. Only one bend of the water.
FLEA DIDDY: Thanks. I was thinking the same thing. The only thing missing is a flagman because it is so long. Plus, it pissed my wife off a little bit.
As for the elongated studs, if I keep the setup, they are going to be cut down. I left them long because I was not sure how many wedges I would need. 1989 Carrera Elite, 20.5' Open bow, Lew Larson (South Gate, CA) 468 BBC, 10-1, pushing about 500 HP. My wifes nightmare.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1838larson.jpg

superdave013
06-23-2006, 11:42 AM
SOME KIND OF MONSTER: Exactly! I am going to give this a shot and see how it works. The way I calculated it, it is like having a setback pump now and a droop.
I thought they set back the pumps to get the intake farther back. But what the heck, I'd try it to. No question the engine will make power. Lew builds some stout stuff.

probablecause
06-23-2006, 12:26 PM
SuperDave: I will bring the boat by your shop within the month so we can measure for the diverter lines and thru-hull fittings.

superdave013
06-23-2006, 12:35 PM
sounds good, I have every thing in stock now. All polished stainless.

Rampager
06-23-2006, 02:20 PM
The whitewater boats all run steel nozzels that tend to be very long, much like what you see in this pic. It actually does not seem odd to me at all. I would assume it will hurt your holeshot but the diverter may help there. The theory from what I unserstand is it gives the boat more bow lift by thrusting from further aft, sorta like using a longer wrench on a bolt. More bow leverage if you will. Certainly won't hurt to try it
Ive always been under the impression a setback pump is to get the intake as close to where the boat rides and "pivots"so as to enable the hull to completely break free without starving the pump and minimize any variences in angle of attack. I think thats very different from the angle of the nozzle and how far away from the transom it is. Most recreational boats seem to have nozzles that are a) far too short and b) far too restrictive and inefficient
Cheers

Flip
06-23-2006, 08:45 PM
Maybe a stupid question but why is the wedge that way? My wedges turn the nozzle/diverter up not down. :rollside:
I think the droops have 4 degrees up built into the pin angle. Some boats don't need it so you wedge it back down.

tahitijet
06-24-2006, 12:01 PM
I think the droops have 4 degrees up built into the pin angle. Some boats don't need it so you wedge it back down.8* I think.. I'm now at 4* down wedge on my boat and the more down i go the better it gets. I'm about to add another * to try tomorrow. Its my understanding that your pump is in at 4* down with a droop your pin moves to 4* up (8* change) so with 4* down wedge your pin ends up even with the keel.

inwo
06-24-2006, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't do it. Extend steering!
I've seen worse. Long pivot bolts!
But this is steerng. Show some respect. :)
Run the cable thru the steering tube hole. Then support the outer steering cable with a bracket at one of the nozzle/bowl junctions.