PDA

View Full Version : Hallett Cat

funkcity
01-22-2002, 09:12 PM
I don't hear anything about the Hallett 27 Cat.
There was a lot of hoopla when they released it but now I just don't hear a lot about it.
F&PB mag had some handling reservations about it and I just wonder....Does this original bottom design work or does the copy-cat (pun intended) philosophy used by lots of cat manufacturers, just plain work better?
funkcity.............Out
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused31.gif

Craig
01-23-2002, 04:33 AM
Saw the first one out of the mold at some tests in Parker last year. Love the looks of it until you get to the back. If it had a normal engine hatch/stern configuration on it, I'd really consider one when I go to a bigger cat, someday http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif As for peformance,haven't heard of or seen one at the lake?????
Craig

burtandnancy
01-23-2002, 09:22 AM
I've driven one of them with an HP 500 and it performed very well. Didn't have the "lean out" in the turns. Very little nose rise on start up. Also saw another one last week at Lake Mead (at speed for photo shots) and it really looked good at speed. The few I've seen looked real nice in very conservative color.

deserteagle
01-23-2002, 09:31 AM
Hallet needs to stick to building v bottoms. I don't think high speed cats is the market hallet is really catering to anyway. They built their reputation on heavy, sturdy, high quality, custom boats. There old school design characteristics just don't work on an air-entrapment hull. Besides they seem more interested now in building this massive go-fast luxury yacht thing there building which will probably end up costing about 750,000. If you want a cat, stick to the guys that know whats up. Eliminator,DCB, or even a Howard 26

rivercrazy
01-23-2002, 09:38 AM
Hallett is a long-time and consistently great boat manufacturer. I really doubt they would put out a product that doesn't live up to their very high standards or risk their reputation.

deserteagle
01-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Im not suggesting that Hallet is not a great boat manufacturer. Its just my opinion that Baron really isn't all that interested in building high performance air-entrapment hulls. It takes a lot of time, money, experience, a tweek here and there to really dial in a new boat like that. I think the reason there isn't much pub about their cat is because there really isn't that much to say about it. Now if I was in the market to buy a big, safe, quality cruiser I would put Hallet at the top of the list. Maybe when Im 40 with a wife and Kids I'll sell my Daytona and buy one.

funkcity
01-23-2002, 03:24 PM
Deserteagle
I just got my new Feb Hot Boat mag yesterday and on the front cover is their (Hallett's)crawl-through 25 footer and it is gorgeous.
I agree with you 100% this is what they do best.
Built on their original 24 foot Bud Bailey bottom design, (a proven great platform)they merely added an integral swim platform and their classic 27 footer's deck style... And I am sure this will be a huge winner for them.
Great HB review for a great boat.
The cat thing just does not seem to be a good fit for them.
They are not a bunch of high-speed tweakers.
They just know how to build and sell lots of high quality boats recession in or out.
Funkcity..............Out http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

rivercrazy
01-23-2002, 03:27 PM
What is your definition of a lot of boats?

deserteagle
01-23-2002, 03:58 PM
funkcity, My subscription to HB ran out so I have to wait until it hits the stands. That is a nice boat, I saw one over new years in Havasu. Anyone who's been around boats must appreciate the workmanship of a Hallet.

25 Eagle
01-23-2002, 11:38 PM
It's a tow along for the 52'