PDA

View Full Version : 327 Jet boat?

zmoz
06-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking about buying a 16' jet boat with a 327 SBC. The owner says it's around 275hp, but regardless of what it is now I'd probably build it to around 300-350hp. I've been looking for a 18' ish boat with a big block, but I really like this boat. How would the performance of this boat compare to an 18' big block? Obviously there's less torque and similar HP...but it's also lighter and 2' shorter. Do you think the 327 would be noticeably better in gas over a big block?

IMPATIENT 1
06-23-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm thinking about buying a 16' jet boat with a 327 SBC. The owner says it's around 275hp, but regardless of what it is now I'd probably build it to around 300-350hp. I've been looking for a 18' ish boat with a big block, but I really like this boat. How would the performance of this boat compare to an 18' big block? Obviously there's less torque and similar HP...but it's also lighter and 2' shorter. Do you think the 327 would be noticeably better in gas over a big block?
IT'LL BE A DOG WITH THE 327 EVEN THOUGH ITS SHORT.IT TAKES AT LEAST 400-450HP JUST SO SEE UPPER 60'S IN MOST LAKE JETS.BUT ON THE OTHER HAND, IT WILL GET DECENT GPH BUT WILL HAVE TO RUN HARDER TO KEEP UP WITH THE BIG BOYS.BUILD A MEAN LITTLE 400HP 350 WITH GOOD BOTTOM END AND SPRAY ALITTLE NO2 INTO IT, IT'LL KEEP UP.IT WOULD STILL GET ALOT MORE TIME ON THE WATER THAN A BIG BLOCK WITH SAME SIZE TANK.

Squirtcha?
06-23-2006, 04:46 PM
If you ever want to find anything on here the search function actually works real well.
Here is a nice list of posts over the years regarding small blocks in jetboats.
Just as you might expect..........some pro and some con.
Surprisingly enough.........I think there are more pro than con.
small blocks (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/search.php?searchid=1047589)

AZKC
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Knucklehead has a small block in a jet that pulled over 70 mph gps'd. And its not all that as far as High HP stuff :skull:

zmoz
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
IT'LL BE A DOG WITH THE 327 EVEN THOUGH ITS SHORT.
Why is that? It I bump it up to 300hp, shouldn't it be about the same as a stock big block? The owner says it goes "just shy of 60mph" now, which is probably mid 50s in reality. If I add a diverter it should be an honest 60mph boat, shouldn't it?
I'm also thinking about maybe a 100-150hp nitrous shot. If I could do 60 without nitrous and 65-70 with it I'd be happy with that.
If you ever want to find anything on here the search function actually works real well.[/URL]
I searched, but a 327 is not a 350. ;) There is very little to find here about 327s...

IMPATIENT 1
06-23-2006, 05:09 PM
Why is that? It I bump it up to 300hp, shouldn't it be about the same as a stock big block? The owner says it goes "just shy of 60mph" now, which is probably mid 50s in reality. If I add a diverter it should be an honest 60mph boat, shouldn't it?
I'm also thinking about maybe a 100-150hp nitrous shot. If I could do 60 without nitrous and 65-70 with it I'd be happy with that.
I searched, but a 327 is not a 350. ;) There is very little to find here about 327s...
THINK OF HORSEPOWER AS HOW FAST A MOTOR WILL GET TO THE POINT OF MOST POWER, TORQUE IS HOW MUCH POWER IT CAN PRODUCE TO TURN SOMETHING.BIG BLOCKS HAVE TORQUE!
BUT LIKE AZKC WROTE , THERE ARE BOATS RUNNING GOOD ON A SMALL BLOCK BUT I DOUBT THE DUDE WITH THE 70MPH HAS ONLY 300HP.GOTTA BE MORE THAN THAT TO GO 70.MY UNCLE HAS A CP TUNNEL(400LB HULL)THAT RUNS IN THE LOW 80'S WITH ABOUT 400HP AND A 100 SHOT,DOMINATOR PUMP ,C IMPELLOR.LITTLE BASTARD FLIES!!

Cheap Thrills
06-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Loose the all caps dude....
Small blocks are the only way to go. Weight is important.... specifically where you have that weight. 400+hp is easy to get with a small block and will take a few hundred #'s off the ass of the boat
As for 400-450 hp to see upper 70's........BS
I totally agree. (On all comments)
I'm running a 350 in a 16' jet. With gas prices the way they are, you couldn't run me down the road far enough to give me a big block.
I can run all weekend on a tank of fuel. By no means is it the fastest thing on the water but thats not what I intended it to be. reliable? yes. Fun ? yes.
Able to throw a cool roost ? yes. Use less fuel than a big block ? You bet.
C.T. :wink:

IMPATIENT 1
06-23-2006, 06:03 PM
Loose the all caps dude....
Small blocks are the only way to go. Weight is important.... specifically where you have that weight. 400+hp is easy to get with a small block and will take a few hundred #'s off the ass of the boat
As for 400-450 hp to see upper 70's........BS
YOU KNOW OF ALOT OF BOATS RUNNIN 70 ON 300HP SBC? AND WE'RE NOT TALKING ALUMINUM RIVER RACERS HERE, A REAL FIBERGLASS 16FT BOAT.I AGREED THAT A WELL BUILT SBC IS MEAN IN A LITE BOAT, BUT 300HP SBC AIN'T SHIAT WHEN THE HULL WEIGHS IN MORE THAN THE MILL.HE ASKED HOW FAST IT WOULD BE WITHOUT SAYIN WHAT HULL TYPE, I ASSUMED A 16FT. FIBERGLASS V-HULL BOAT.

atxwrangler
06-23-2006, 06:19 PM
I Have A Friend With A Stock O'reilly 350 In A Beachcomber That Will Run 65 All Day Long,it's Been In There Three Years,and He Hammers It Hard Regularly.man,i Wish I Had That Luck!

SmokinLowriderSS
06-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I thinmk it'd be just fine. I'd build more HP into it (don't skimp on the bottom end), you'll probably wind up running a smaller impeller than a similar big block, but maybe not. The impeller power requirements are in HP. not torque, though they are both closely related 350 HP from either is 350 HP, again, a jet pump is clueless as to what it is bolted to.
My Taylor, in her prime on smooth glass (1979), was radared by dad at 72mph with the stock 454 and only 75HP N2O. The engine was likely only putting out 280 HP on her best day without the gas, 350 or so with it. Roger Taylor hand-laid a heavy hull. My 18.5'er is estimated at 800 lb in just 'glass. She has never seen 400 HP, till this year. We were making 64 on beat-to-hell glass last summer and no nitrous (350 HP).
IMO, a diverter is worth 5 to 8 mph, more with more HP, get one, you'll never regret it. You need a ride plate too if you don't have, otherwise you'll enjoy porposing till ya hurl at top speed. The ride plate gives the hull a surface to lean back on when trimmed up.

zmoz
06-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Here is the boat in question:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/zmoz/IMG_0035Small.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/zmoz/IMG_0037Small.jpg
Do you think 275hp would get that boat up to the claimed "just shy of 60"? How much would you pay for a boat like that?
Thanks guys

atxwrangler
06-23-2006, 08:48 PM
have you rode in it ? i would, before you buy it.it looks like a bow steering hull!

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2006, 12:39 AM
have you rode in it ? i would, before you buy it.it looks like a bow steering hull!
I was thinking the same thing from the pretty steep entry angle of the bow.

Sleek-Jet
06-24-2006, 05:22 AM
I've got my old Sleekcraft down here now, and it's going to get a 383 this winter. I bet it runs better after I'm done with it than when it had the 455 in it. I'll take the reduced weight and same power output anyday of the week. :idea:
Besides, the beer can boat crowd run alot of small blocks... and I always trust a crazy backwoods canuck.... :D :D :D

Floored
06-24-2006, 05:47 AM
I recently bought a 16 ft jet with an L20B datsun 4 cyl and a hamilton jet in it and although it aint a rocket its fun to play in and runs almost 45 on the river. At 16 ft its a bouncy little bugger but still a blast. 12 gallon tank lasts forever too.

Jeanyus
06-24-2006, 06:07 AM
I've got my old Sleekcraft down here now, and it's going to get a 383 this winter. I bet it runs better after I'm done with it than when it had the 455 in it. I'll take the reduced weight and same power output anyday of the week. :idea:
Besides, the beer can boat crowd run alot of small blocks... and I always trust a crazy backwoods canuck.... :D :D :D
But why did he have to call my motor a PIG BLOCK :cry:
That boat looks like it would be a lot of fun, and it looks like it is in good shape. Not too sure about the color purple (rainbow coalition). But if you like it, do it.
The 327 should save on gas. That boat might be hard to get it to go 70 with a small block, or a big block, Looks heavy to me.
As long as your running CHEVY power you can't go wrong.(that ought to get the Ford guys riled up)

Jeanyus
06-24-2006, 06:08 AM
I recently bought a 16 ft jet with an L20B datsun 4 cyl and a hamilton jet in it and although it aint a rocket its fun to play in and runs almost 45 on the river. At 16 ft its a bouncy little bugger but still a blast. 12 gallon tank lasts forever too.
I'm sorry. :) :)

old rigger
06-24-2006, 06:43 AM
hey zmoz,
your boat is either an old Tahiti (can't see the emblems) or one of it's dozens and dozens of copies. At any rate, that hull was the first v-bottom jet ever made and that first Tahiti jet out a the mold ran 68 mph and change back in the 60's with Roger Weiman doing the driving for Dick Schusters brain child. And it, more than any other hull, changed the face of the so cal boating scene. Lot's of guys got into the booming late 60's boat biz by splashing that boat. You couldn't throw a stick in the water back in the day and not bounce it off the deck of a Tahiti or a clone of one.
You'll be lovin' life running a nicly built SBC and with a little pump work tossed in for good measure, and a bottom that doesn't have too much hook in her, you'll see 65 to 70 all day long. Even a little hook's ok, but you'll need and enjoy a Place Diverter too.
Any thing faster than mid 70's, and they do have a nasty habit of bow steering when you get off the gas, and have been know to throw more than one early jet racer through the side of the hull. So 70 is a nice happy number for that bottom. :)
Anyone that tries to steer you away from a SBC, to do what you said you wanted that boat to do, has got their head firmly up their ass.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/zmoz/IMG_0035Small.jpg
Do you think 275hp would get that boat up to the claimed "just shy of 60"? How much would you pay for a boat like that?
Thanks guys

Aluminum Squirt
06-24-2006, 08:42 AM
SBC is fine. I'll be running mid-upper 70's with ZZ4 power. Now yes my set up is a little different being that its an aluminum boat, but with a full rollcage and 50 gallons of gas, you could hardly call the thing light weight. My old motor, currently blown up, GPS'd at 72MPH up river. It was lucky to be 320HP, probably more like 300HP. A new ZZ4 will be 355HP and with a little set up work, I'm confident I will be running upper 70's. That being said, a ZZ4 is a pretty mild set-up and I only run one because that's what the rules say I have to run. 400HP out of a SBC is real easy (and cheap) and should have you running your speed goal while providing good GPH and being very reliable. SBC's can be built very cheap, so cheap that it won't be very reliable. Make sure to spend a little extra on good parts (steel crank, good rods, good pistons, free flowing heads, etc.) I highly recommend a old school book call "How to Hot Rod your SBC". Its not boat specific, but there are many HP tricks in there that will help you in building in a few extra HP, making it more reliable, and being able to use quite a few factory parts. Its a little dated so you won't find a lot of the very common parts that are available today such as roller cams, aluminum heads that were all out race stuff in the 60's/70's, but its all very good info. Also, not enough can be said about set up. All the HP in the world is useless w/o a good straight bottom, a ride plate, a carefully matched impellar, and a place divereter. SBC's are cool and cheap, especially in small boats. Run it, but do it right. That's my $.02-Aluminum Squirt

Aluminum Squirt
06-24-2006, 08:49 AM
Sorry, I forgot a few things. Get as many cubic inches as you can for the money. The 327 isn't a bad motor but it has a pretty short stroke and was therefore set up for a little higher RPM's. That's not necasarily bad but it might need a little smaller impellar that will effect your out of the hole quickness. If you can upgrade to a 350 you will have a little more torque/HP down low. A 383 or 400 would be even better. I think its hard to find large jounal 327's too but I may be mistaking that info for the 302? (any smart guys remember this info?) Anyway, bigger is better so figure out your budget and build the biggest SBC with the best parts you can afford. Aluminum heads are nice too because it adds to your weight advantage over the typical BBC. You can go crazy on a SBC and spend $20k, so don't go crazy, because at that point you could probably build a less expensive BBC with the same HP at a lower RPM. Ok, sorry, I'm rambling now-Aluminum Squirt

Floored
06-24-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm sorry. :) :)
I still have my Biesemeyer jet and I traded a Yamaha 750 that I got off e-bay for $57.00 straight across for it. I'm not sorry at all. That purple boat looks nice, go for it. I spend most of my time at about 30 mph anyways, just cruisin.

AZKC
06-24-2006, 09:47 AM
I thought you were giving it to me :)

Jet Hydro
06-24-2006, 11:14 AM
We just built one with a 350 chevy and it`s going 70+
Look under I LOVE TO CUT UP BOATS (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117242)

zmoz
06-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! :) I'm not crazy about the purple either, but everything looks to be in really good condition. 70 is plenty fast for me, even that will probably be rare. It's just nice to be able to blow away the doofus with an ugly and slow $20,000 ski boat. :D
Do you guys think $3k is a good deal for this boat?

old rigger
06-24-2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! :) I'm not crazy about the purple either, but everything looks to be in really good condition. 70 is plenty fast for me, even that will probably be rare. It's just nice to be able to blow away the doofus with an ugly and slow $20,000 ski boat. :D
Do you guys think $3k is a good deal for this boat?
Hell, I thought the boat was blue, but I'm color blind.
What make is it?

zmoz
06-24-2006, 08:30 PM
What make is it?
I don't know yet. All I've got are the pics and a few minor details so far.

Cheap Thrills
06-25-2006, 03:13 AM
Thanks guys
I have the same boat ! http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1127profile.JPG
Without a diverter it will ride wet with no roost.http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127IMAG0020.JPG
with a Jetovator diverter and no windshield :p http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1127C_T_1.jpg
I picked up about 10Mph just by getting it to air out. Its amazing how much drag there is when the bow is plowing through the water.
I'm running a 350 +.040 flat top pistons, Errison hyd.cam .510L 290*D 110 Lobe. 1:6 rockers. Chevy X heads. dual plane intake with a Holley 750 Dp. 4150 carb.
spinning an A-cut aluminum berk impeller.@4,500Rpm and getting approx 60Mph.out of the pig. Not GPS but the two speedos I've had on it are telling me basicly the same thing +/ - 3 or 4 Mph
It's a heavy ass hull for the size but great for skiing. I have a B cut impeller that may get it more into the power band of the cam that I may try on it it maybe it will be faster maybe not. All in all I'm happy with what it is for now. Reliable turnkey fun.
Good luck with your decision.

quiet riot
06-25-2006, 03:26 AM
zmoz, just remember that a fair amount of the boating around here is on bigger or crowded water (u still in aloha?) My 17 & 1/2 foot jet can feel real small real quick on the columbia/williamette or in the local lakes with a lot of boat traffic. A boat like that would be fun on the williamette out of newberg or in less crowded places and calm weather.
I'd be inclined to look for 18-20 ft if ya can find a good deal and it will open up a lot of boating around here. On the other hand that's prolly a good deal if ya can test drive and check out the motor/boat/trailer to make sure its all in descent working order.
jd

SmokinLowriderSS
06-25-2006, 04:33 AM
Cheap, I think you will find a few more ponies if ya cut the impeller to a B. Tinkering with it on DD has your HP curve peaking at about 5,000. Real flat torque and HP curves, looks like a quite nice build. DD comes up pretty close to an A Berk's demand of 288HP to spin 4500RPM. (I came up with 279, and is probably pretty good without exact flow info on your heads). DD peaks it out at 335@5500 and 339@6-large, the life of a mouse motor. :)

shirkey4750
06-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Go to the East coast posts and talk to MikeT, his small block runs in the 80's on radar with a shot of Nitrous.

Cheap Thrills
06-25-2006, 06:07 AM
Cheap, I think you will find a few more ponies if ya cut the impeller to a B. Tinkering with it on DD has your HP curve peaking at about 5,000. Real flat torque and HP curves, looks like a quite nice build. DD comes up pretty close to an A Berk's demand of 288HP to spin 4500RPM. (I came up with 279, and is probably pretty good without exact flow info on your heads). DD peaks it out at 335@5500 and 339@6-large, the life of a mouse motor. :)
Thanks SS. This engine has been a good one it's seen the death of two cars and one pickup. originally built for a 68 Chev short bed stepside truck to haul my cabin cruiser with. But then bought a 87 TA. that needed an engine so it went in that. bad idea though I couldnt keep it cool . next was a 79 L-82 Corvette that suffered a fire when the fuel line decided to turn loose.
The L-82 engine is still in the truck but with 305 H.O. heads on it. It's a tourquey bastard with the 4:11 12 bolt rears. :)
My berk pump origanaly had the "B" imp. in it (still have it ) but I got the "A" thinking it would be better to keep the rpm down on an engine thats already seen many years of abuse under my foot. of course I did freshen it up when I put it in the boat with new rings & bearings. I may try the "B" one of these days if I keep the same engine in it.
For some reason I start gritting my teeth and my ass puckers when I hear my engine twisting anything over 5,500 Rpm.
I guess the "A" keeps rods in the block and my sanity in check.
I have 8* of wedges to try out too this year if I ever make it to the water.
anyhoo sorry for the hijack back to Zmoz's topic :rollside:

miketsouth
06-25-2006, 09:30 AM
2001 Ray Carson Cheyenne clone
355ci
9.35 compression
Speed Pro (almost flattop) Hypereutectic pistons
.072quench
cheep vortec aluminum heads, 1.60 2.02 64cc 170ccrunners (before port matching)
roller rockers/stud girdle
cheep vortec single plane manifold
BG 650cfm mech carb
1" 4hole spacer
Stellings Headers, preheat plumbed
Ultradyne Custom Cam
hydraulic flat
.498/.500 lift at the valve
323/239 @.050
110c/l
36deg total (89octane compatable, no shot)
32deg total@100shot (93octane)
AT stainless B
Racing droop
standard nozzle
27psi intake pressure @ 70mph
5050rpm
5500rpm@100shot
73.5 1/4 radar no gas
83 1/4 radar 100shot
Lake Anna 2006, at Kojac's. Thanks Dale. It really completed an already fantastac weekend.
I've run a couple of bottles thru it and no problems so far, if plug readings can be relied upon.
It averages 4mpg with intermittant 20second WOT runs at the Pax.
kojakgottheshit (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rodajet/radar1.wmv)

zmoz
06-25-2006, 01:09 PM
A boat like that would be fun on the williamette out of newberg or in less crowded places and calm weather.
I'm only about 5 miles from the ramp in Newberg so that's probably where I'll end up most the time. :) Right now I have a 16' Carlson with a vaguely similar hull and it isn't too bad in the chop, but you're right, I wouldn't take it to the columbia. It will be a short while before I can look at this boat, so I'll still be looking for 18's with big blocks in the mean time. :rollside:

zmoz
07-10-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, I finally got some more info about this boat. The hull is actually a 17' 1969 Sidewinder and the guy selling it is the original owner. Anybody have anything bad to say about that hull?