PDA

View Full Version : Unsticking bolts

spectratoad
06-23-2006, 05:38 PM
:mad: I am trying to replace the front wheel hub assembly on my 2000 GMC. There are three bolts from the backside that hold it in place. They are not budging whatsoever. I have tried hitting with hammer to break it loose, penetrating oil.
Anyone have any break the bolt loose magic tricks they want to kick down????? HELP!!!!!! :mad:

Trailer Park Casanova
06-23-2006, 07:38 PM
One time I had the same project I found ya don't have to heat them very much to get results.
Also and most of all,, they may be reverse threaded. Find out first!!!
They don't need to glowing or scalding hot,, just hot and it worked for me.
That was on my 99 Suburban.
I'm sure someone will chime it with an excellent solution,, if not, post again in the Sandbar, or over in the Sand Forums.
Hope I helped some.

Sleek-Jet
06-24-2006, 06:15 AM
Cheater pipe.... I've found the jack handle off a floor jack will slide over most breaker bars, an extra 3 feet of leverage always helps :D .... Don't know if you'll have enough room to do that though.
Ditto on the reverse threads... might try going the other way and see if you make any progress.

sintax
06-24-2006, 01:08 PM
my stages of bolt removal...
1. muscle
2. impact
3. pb blaster
4. heat
5. die grinder

tahitijet
06-24-2006, 06:00 PM
those bolts are normal direction. NOrmally they will break loose with a 1/2" breaker bar and a small pipe (15mm socket 6 point socket, they will strip easy.). if that doesn't work get them heated up a little and the factory lock tite will loosen

H20 Party Starter
06-25-2006, 10:13 AM
reverse cut steele drill bit and an EZ-Out :)

Boy Named Sue
06-25-2006, 10:51 AM
I don't know why it works but it does. Try to TIGHTEN them. If they move going on they will come off. It sounds crazy but it works.