PDA

View Full Version : Sad day

phebus
01-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Well, after 24 years in the fire service, today was my last day. I was retired out, with my bad back. Four surgeries later, the last being a three level fusion, left me unfit to perform my duties.
You can't imagine how hard it was going to headquarters, and turning in my gear, and handing over my badge.
I was very lucky to have my passion as my profession, and that is what made it so tough, I wasn't ready to go.
Life goes on, and I will get over this speed bump of life, but for now, it's a tough road.
Can't feel sorry for myself though, at least I got to live a dream.................

shadow
01-05-2006, 10:46 PM
Congrats on your 24 years,I'm sure in that time you've helped alot of
people in time of need.
Now do some boating and enjoy yourself.

C-2
01-05-2006, 10:51 PM
On the flipside, congrats on your retirement! Thanks for your service. :)

little rowe boat
01-05-2006, 10:52 PM
Im sorry you had to go before you were ready. I know what the job does to the body, so maybe it is for the best for you and your family. Time to move onto your next passion whatever it may be.
Best of luck
Jeff.
IAFF local 1067

Riverkid
01-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but why would they not let retirees keep their badges???

dicudmore
01-05-2006, 10:56 PM
congrats on your retirement Rick :cool:
Now, how is the back doing and when will we see you at the river??

hoolign
01-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Sorry for the dumb question, but why would they not let retirees keep their badges???
Go back there and get your badge!..they can't fire you :D
Kudo's on how much good you have done! Time to become a consultant! ( it pays better for less work :D)

phebus
01-05-2006, 10:58 PM
Actually, it will be presented back to me on a plaque at a retirement tribute that is held twice a year for those that have retired.

Daytona100
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
Wow doing what you love for 24 years that would be considered the Dream run. Now its time to have the same run with your family and friends. Well good luck and do lots of boating. Wish I was retired!! :)

phebus
01-05-2006, 11:00 PM
congrats on your retirement Rick :cool:
Now, how is the back doing and when will we see you at the river??
I'm moving to Havasu full time in June when my daughter graduates from high school, so you will see me there all the time.
I will be known as Shadow's neighbor. :D

Jyruiz
01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Congrats and thanks for your service.

dicudmore
01-05-2006, 11:02 PM
I'm moving to Havasu full time in June when my daughter graduates from high school, so you will see me there all the time.
I will be known as Shadow's neighbor. :D
very cool, congrats...thats not too far from "my" havasu house...I think you know where that one is :wink:

phebus
01-05-2006, 11:12 PM
Congrats and thanks for your service.
No, I thank the public for letting me serve them. It fullfilled a "need" in my life, and I enjoyed every minute of it.
For those that haven't had the luck to really enjoy your job, it is something I thank God for every day, and I'm sure there is a reason for the new path I'm on.

phebus
01-05-2006, 11:14 PM
By the way, I'm drinking to celebrate my luck in life, and don't think I will sleep a wink tonight. Too much going through my head.

Riverkid
01-05-2006, 11:17 PM
After 24 years, they ought to give you the plaque and the BC's new Suburban... My buddy's dad just retired out of Santa Ana. He's a mess...
We race with a couple FF's. Thanks for all you guys do. :)

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Good luck Rick,
be glad you made it out....

TCHB
01-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Congradulations on your new adventure. By the way you and your utility trailer will be back in the same town. If you ever need it give me a call.

kingLHC
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
It's always tough, but don't let it get you down. My dad retired after 35 years at Ventura county and he missed it too. You did good. Now it's time for something else. Take some time, play a little (or a lot) and it'll come to you...
Ever consider running for Mayor of Havasu???

01-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Lots of firemen in the family. Thanks for all that you do!
Happy retirement!

phebus
01-05-2006, 11:28 PM
Ever consider running for Mayor of Havasu???
I hate politics, but it would be nice to live there a few years, and be able to represent the local population, as well as the out of town crowd.
It seems like there is a lot of myopia out there, and there is no vision for the future, only selfish interests.

IN2-IN2MX
01-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Sorry to hear this (that you're taking it hard) but thank you very much for your 24 years of service. That is awesome!

Kilrtoy
01-05-2006, 11:40 PM
I hate politics, but it would be nice to live there a few years, and be able to represent the local population, as well as the out of town crowd.
It seems like there is a lot of myopia out there, and there is no vision for the future, only selfish interests.
You hit the nail on the head,NO VISION of tommorrow let alone the future

clownpuncher
01-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Congrats on your retirement brother. I know first hand how tough it is to leave when you may not think it's the right time.
You're leaving a great agency that I'm sure has treated you well in your years as a public servant. Count your blessings bro, that don't happen to a lot of people.
You're young enough and relativley healthy enough to enjoy an "early" retirement so take advantage.
Gimme a visit some time and we can share some war stories over a few beers. I'm more than positive that we have mutual friends in the fire service.
Roland
Local 3601 (PSFD) 21 years

blackcloud75
01-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Congrats Phebus,
I am sure you know you are not the only one to shed emotion of your depart.....
Your brothers' at the stations will toss your name across the dinner table like your still there for years to come...
to this day I get just as choked up when we retire someone, it's just as emotional for the crews as it is for the Retiree.
Good Luck,
Cory
Local 3226 (WCFD)

JetBoatRich
01-06-2006, 04:57 AM
That is awesome 24 years of service to your dream :cool: Congratulations
Good Luck on your future with a lot of life in front of you :cool:

SDLifesaver
01-06-2006, 05:42 AM
Congrats on your being able to retire and enjoy what you have worked so hard for your 24 years. I look forward to seeing you and Linda this summer and many summers to come. With that being said, get on the city council and stop all this non sense of no mooring in the channel and selling the English Village and so on. See you in a few months when we get our new boat and start going to the lake again. Nick Johnson SMFD Local 1434

Flashover
01-06-2006, 05:54 AM
Congradulations, Enjoy your retirement it sounds like you have really earned it. Be proud of your accomplishments in the fire service and think back at all of the fun you had and all of the people that have bennafitted from your many years of service. Its your time now, Live it up, You deserve it... :crossx:

OutCole'd
01-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Rick, Congrats on the early retirment and thank you for your 24 years of service. Getting to live a dream is great, and 24 years is a miracle. Now just think, you can annoy the family 24/7 with no interuptions from now on.
Best of luck to you & see you this Summer.
Take care,
Bill

spectratoad
01-06-2006, 06:15 AM
Thanks for your service to the public. Hard to enjoy a job for that long and a dream when you do. This door may close but others will open.
I know how you feel. I was medically retired from the military November of 04. I lived and breathed my job and loved every minute of it. THey said I was too beat up to continue to do what I needed to do. Fought it for a year but they finally said I had to go. Since I retired though I have thoroughly enjoyed being "Mr. Mom". :) :)

LHC Kirby
01-06-2006, 09:19 AM
You will be talked about at the coffee table -That I am sure of....
Randy said he saw you at HQ, and now we look forward to seeing you at the river! When the Tribute comes around, be sure to come, they put on a good event, tell Linda to start looking for pictures. They put a slide show together for each person and it is pretty cool to see the difference from the "early years" to 24 years later.
Congrats on retirement, not the greatest way to go, but there are worse ways.

Ultracrazy
01-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Good luck Rick,
be glad you made it out....
Yep.........amen

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
01-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Phebus-
Cheers to you and a job well done. Congratulations.

redi4fun
01-06-2006, 10:01 AM
Rick,
Congrats on doing a dangerous job for 24 yrs and living to tell about it.
Wishing you a new beginning that finds you in good health. :)

BarryMac
01-06-2006, 10:12 AM
Congrats phebus, you've lived the dreams of many, have fun in your retirement. What's on the plate next? Marshall at the local Golf Course maybe??? :D

Totally IncapASSitated
01-06-2006, 10:21 AM
Sorry to hear about that Rick...always tougher when it is not a choice :(
Thanks for the 24 years of service and enjoy retirement!!!
You might be needing that foosball table back to occupy some of your time ;)

Sane Asylum
01-06-2006, 11:52 AM
Rick........Lots 'o' postiives as I see it.........Early retirement, back's fixed (ok...kindof), kick ass boat and lots of time....
Thanks for the service......

Ducatista
01-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Sad day indeed, but sounds like your going to be alright...enjoy! :cool:

bunny 166
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
Good luck to you and Linda with the move...Enjoy your retirement and more time on the lake...See you on the water! :)
My folks wish you the best, too.... ;)

Holland
01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Wow Congrats Rick...
Now enjoy life! How many rooms at the pad in Havi... he he he he he :crossx:
Just kiddin... But enjoy the changes that you are in for.
Bob

Biglue
01-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Sorry to hear that you feel your retirement has been fast forwarded but on the flip side of that coin I'd like to congradulate you on 24 years of service. We the public are greatful for folks like you. Thank you.
Louie.

phebus
01-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Wow Congrats Rick...
Now enjoy life! How many rooms at the pad in Havi... he he he he he :crossx:
Just kiddin... But enjoy the changes that you are in for.
Bob
That's the good news. The new house has a Casita, with is seperated from the house. It has it's own shower, bath, refrigerator, and microwave.
Friends are always welcome, and would be free to come or go without any inconvenience to us.

Throttle
01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Retirement means nothin, you will always be there with us... its just another thing to do in life... can't wait to see ya on the water enjoyin yourself! LHC Kirby already said it... "we will be talkin bout you at the table" lol :rollside:

Floored
01-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Rick, I'm sorry it finally came to this but you had a good run and your still alive and young enough to have some more fun. Best of luck.

Holland
01-06-2006, 03:38 PM
That's the good news. The new house has a Casita, with is seperated from the house. It has it's own shower, bath, refrigerator, and microwave.
Friends are always welcome, and would be free to come or go without any inconvenience to us.
You are too kind.... as usual.... :D

riverroyal
01-06-2006, 05:01 PM
By the way, I'm drinking to celebrate my luck in life, and don't think I will sleep a wink tonight. Too much going through my head.
get a retirement reach around from mrs pheb.......dont be lifting anything when you move to havasu,theres a few beers we need to lift this summer

Havasu Hangin'
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
Good luck on the retirement. As a famous philosopher once said, "It's a dirty job but someone's gotta do it."
The new house has a Casita, with is seperated from the house. It has it's own shower, bath, refrigerator, and microwave.
What's the address and how often do you look in there?

JB in so cal
01-06-2006, 05:30 PM
get a retirement reach around from mrs pheb.......dont be lifting anything when you move to havasu,theres a few beers we need to lift this summer
...must you type EVERYTHING you think? :rolleyes: