PDA

View Full Version : SKOM Motor Build

Some Kind Of Monster
06-24-2006, 01:43 PM
The new motor is going together nicely. I thought I would post some of the parts/process here for reference. Feel free to make any comments.
454 4 bolt main block .30 over bore, honed, decked, line checked, hot tanked, cleaned, deburred, and ready to go! I have brass freeze plugs put in, but I am thinking of changing to something removble so I can clean the block out occasionally. Is there such a thing? Oil plugs have also been installed.
Crank is turned, deburred, balanced, cleaned and installed. I'm showing .003 clearance on the mains when torqued to 110. All the mains are dead on. Crank travel is around .007 and it spins real smooth.
Cam is a Crower (not my original choice, but we'll see what it does) 290HDP. It features Advertised intake duration 290deg lift .524, exhaust 302deg lift .536 (Duration @ .050 = Intale 232deg, exh 242deg.... Lobe lift Intake .308, Exh .315). Lobe seperation 108deg.
The cam is installed and feels real nice.
Pistons are SRP Forged 212135 open chamber domed. Comp ratio should be just below 11:1 with these. These have been deburred, cleaned, checked for clearance (.0050 - .0055), Rings have been checked, filed, and gapped at .018 and .022, and installed.
Rods are machined and ready to go. I torqued the new rod bolts down and used to rod cap seperator to pull the caps back off. The tool had a hell of a time getting those suckers off. They are very tight. How much effort should it take to get them off?
All my machine work is done. I only have assembly to go. I will post my progress and what machine work was done as I go. This will serve as an idiot check so I am sure I get everyhting done right too!
*update
The Edelbrock Performer 2-0 intake has new stainless plugs installed. The surface that the carb rests on was slightly askew so I took it for a pass on the mill and fixed it right up. I previously gasket matched and cleaned up the casting flashes inside the intake so it is ready to roll.
I did a full port job on the heads. I opened the intakes up to match the felpro gaskets, and cleaned up the internal intake casting flashes (or seams) that were really nasty. I was really able to open these suckers up a lot, and clean up a lot of slop in there. I smoothed everything up, and left it a little rough as recommended for better fuel atomization. I also ported and polished the entire exhaust portions to prevent carbonization. I got it real smooth and nice. Next I polished the combustion chamber to prevent carbon, and detonation. I also cleaned up the water ports to prevent clogs etc and promote better travel of water through the heads. Overall this all took me about 12 hours to complete all the tasks. I don't have access to a flow bench, but I am satisfied with the results. These heads are dead flat, and have a 3 angle valve job. Time to assemble!
The block now has the arms and pistons installed. All clearances were checked, and double checked and all check out good. The new timing set went on, and was calibrated to TDC and is now dead on. I also installed the windage tray that is included with my Dooley marine oil pan. Everything was torqued, and retorqued.
I have a brand new 750 carb (thanks 460 ways) ready to sit on top of it all. I also have an 850 to play with and see what kind of results I get.
I have this ongoing debate with my machinist as to qhich oil pump to use. I insist that I need a hi volume and he insists I should use the standard. I know not to use a hi vol on an Olds, but shouldn't I ALWAYS use this on my Chevy?
Heads pre polishing
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061127.jpg
Heads Post Porting
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061128.jpg
Valves
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061130.jpg
My Goodies
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061130a.jpg
Assembled
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061419.jpg
Ready to go!
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061420.jpg
Head numbers
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/16830924061501.jpg

SmokinLowriderSS
06-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Getting my rods back apart after having a local racing machinist put my new ARP bolts in over a year ago was a real mother. Those wave-locs were TIGHT!

junkyardhunter
06-24-2006, 05:21 PM
what heads are you going to run,sound like your almost ready run

Some Kind Of Monster
09-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Update added to the first post!
Yea yeah, I'm coming along slow, but the motor is a real piece of art IMO :)

shaun
09-18-2006, 01:11 AM
My book talks alittle about the oil pumps, basically saying the stock pump is all you'll ever need as long as you blue print it even for most hi pref applications. I have no real world experience with this but i bought a hi volume pump and plan on using it.
Where's the pics!! :p

cfm
09-18-2006, 06:16 AM
OOps - sorry - responded to wrong thread.

Nucking futs
09-18-2006, 06:26 AM
What size combustion chabers and with what heads? Im running the same pistons just .060 over with 119 cc com. chamber and im at 9.96 with a zero deck. I assume you have angle milled heads????
Build looks good,but you might want to start with the 850 and work up from there. I tried a 850 and it killed the performance and the twin 650's went back on with a 400rpm gain.Im running pro top line heads. mine made 627 H.P. at 5800

Some Kind Of Monster
09-27-2006, 11:18 PM
Finally fixed the lack of pictures! Those are 119 cc chambers as well. I figured I would be going up to a dual quad setup in the near future, but hopefully the 850 will hold me for awhile. Getting close!

Some Kind Of Monster
10-02-2006, 02:14 PM
Got the hull cleaned up and ready to go again. It's been sitting awhile so it still needs a little work, but not much.
I put the heads on last weekend and checked for valve clearance and piston to head clearance. Looks real good. Also checked that the rollers on the rockers are contacting the valves in the proper location. Looks dead on. Also checked the oil pan for clearance which also looks good. My Dooly pan came with a goofy oil pickup with a screen that doesn't look as good as a stock pickup to me. Does anyone know about these? I'll try to get a pic here soon.
Hey 396: I think I got my axle to work. I rewelded the axle and turned it down so it looks like it is going to work ok. Those morons at the autozone on Country Club looked into space when I told them what bearing I wanted so I went to your guy on Broadway and they pulled the right one for me. Looks real nice.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-02-2006, 04:59 PM
Looking good billy. I have a friend that might need some computer work. Ill letcha know;)
Roll up to bartlett this weekend, you can ride in my rig;)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Looking good billy. I have a friend that might need some computer work. Ill letcha know;)
Roll up to bartlett this weekend, you can ride in my rig;)
Looks like I will be there either Friday/Saturday or just all day Saturday. I'll be the guy with the remote control boat wishing that my full size was done. I'll definitely take you up on the ride. Can't wait to see your ride on the water. I haen't been in a jet boat in a really really long time!
Let me know about the work. If it's your friend, I'll get him fixed right up!

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Can't wait to see your ride on the water. I haen't been in a jet boat in a really really long time!
Let me know about the work. If it's your friend, I'll get him fixed right up!
Me too, I havent been out in over 8 weeks!!! :eek: Im going with the motto that if it blows up, build it BIGGER:D

67weimann
10-03-2006, 07:16 PM
Motor is looking good. I'm jealous :yuk:
Im going with the motto that if it blows up, build it BIGGER:D
:crossx: That's what I always tell myself :crossx:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-03-2006, 09:00 PM
:crossx: That's what I always tell myself :crossx:
Thats the only way to roll. Its the end of the season so we have time;)

Some Kind Of Monster
10-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Thanks! This motor is literally years in the making. I'm so sick and tired of waiting to get it done. I wish it would be ready for this weekend. Oh well, better done right than half assed.

460 jus getn it
10-04-2006, 07:26 AM
Me too, I havent been out in over 8 weeks!!! :eek: Im going with the motto that if it blows up, build it BIGGER:D
You and me both. Billy good to see things are going good. Hope to see you on the water soon.

Some Kind Of Monster
10-04-2006, 02:51 PM
You and me both. Billy good to see things are going good. Hope to see you on the water soon.
Thanks Ty,
I'll be out there Saturday!
See ya then!

Duane HTP
10-04-2006, 04:34 PM
DO NOT USE A HIGH VOLUME PUMP!
Use a standard pump and put the high pressure blue spring in it.

Some Kind Of Monster
10-04-2006, 05:31 PM
DO NOT USE A HIGH VOLUME PUMP!
Use a standard pump and put the high pressure blue spring in it.
Duane,
Can you explain please? One person says use ONLY the HV and the next says NEVER use it. Plus I've never heard of a high pressure blue spring. What do I need to do and why Duane?

67weimann
10-04-2006, 07:30 PM
I've heard alot about not using the high volume. Makes sense to me since think about how we all try to restrict the oil from starving the bottom end at high rpm, therefore IMO a high volume is only gonna starve it more.

Some Kind Of Monster
10-05-2006, 12:13 AM
I've heard alot about not using the high volume. Makes sense to me since think about how we all try to restrict the oil from starving the bottom end at high rpm, therefore IMO a high volume is only gonna starve it more.
I thought that was only a problem with the 455 Olds? I didn't think I would have a problem since I have a huge Dooley pan?

460 jus getn it
10-05-2006, 07:30 AM
I have had a HV pump on my ford for 2 years now and havent had one problem. 85 cold at idle, 60 hot wot........Duane can you explain?

Some Kind Of Monster
10-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Bump! Still lookin for answers!
Got the rest of the parts in to finish this job. Just trying to make sure I got the right stuff! After last weekend I am dieing to get on the water.

Some Kind Of Monster
10-16-2006, 10:29 PM
The heads are assembled. Those double valve springs put out some serious pressure. Getting ready to throw the rest together, but still wondering what pump to put in? Also how does the oil dipstick mount on a Dooley 10qt pan? Do I use o rings? Also the pump pickup that came with the Dooley pan looked really cheap so I ordered another one.

HotRod Sprint
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
The heads are assembled. Those double valve springs put out some serious pressure. Getting ready to throw the rest together, but still wondering what pump to put in? Also how does the oil dipstick mount on a Dooley 10qt pan? Do I use o rings? Also the pump pickup that came with the Dooley pan looked really cheap so I ordered another one.
Hey Billy, my Mercruiser 454 has a high volume pump. I'm not sure if the 10 quart-ers have a dip stick hole, I haven't looked at my new Milodon 10 quart yet to see but will be putting it on tomorrow. Just call Timm and ask him about the oil pump.
Rod

Some Kind Of Monster
11-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Alright, the windage tray, oil pump, and pickup are mounted along with the oil pan. I also got the balancer on there.. Looking to paint and throw the rest together in the coming weeks! The races last weekend have me psyched!

HotRod Sprint
11-20-2006, 04:16 PM
Hey Billy, you coming out to Bartlett on Friday? I'll let you bumm a ride if you do.
Rod

Some Kind Of Monster
11-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Friday huh? I may have to work.. I'll shoot you a PM if I'm going to make it. I should probably be finishing this project up if I'm not working! Thanks Rod, I'll letcha know.

Some Kind Of Monster
11-26-2006, 11:31 PM
Heads are on :crossx:
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20407&stc=1

Some Kind Of Monster
12-04-2006, 07:52 PM
The intake was slightly askew so I took it for a pass to clean it up..

Some Kind Of Monster
01-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Boat is DONE... Just waiting on a distributor.. Anyone have a good HEI or MSD? Pics soon!

jungledave
01-06-2007, 11:42 AM
Doorman has made an expandable copper freeze prug for years. It has a acorn nut in the center that expands the plug. They just tap in and then you just tighten the nut. They can be removed just by tapping in and removing similar to a regular freeze plug except they come out easier after you loosen the nut. They work and look much better than the rubber expandables. You can order them at any NAPA store or at some of the chain stores if you can get them to actually look in a parts catalog.

Bigern
01-07-2007, 04:49 PM
pics?

OverKill
01-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Billy how those seats coming along?? When you gel coating?? Anyways I ask Phil Bergeron how he mounted my Dip stick. He says it's just JB weld. Hope that helps.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-07-2007, 05:48 PM
Anyways I ask Phil Bergeron how he mounted my Dip stick. He says it's just JB weld. Hope that helps.
Did you use any duct tape too:idea:
Jb weld dont belong on any boat.....

Some Kind Of Monster
01-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Billy how those seats coming along?? When you gel coating?? Anyways I ask Phil Bergeron how he mounted my Dip stick. He says it's just JB weld. Hope that helps.
Those seats are WAY better than what I had in there before. Thank you so much! It will take some modifying to make them work with my buckets, but they are much nicer than I expected. I didn't think they would fit, but they are just perfect! I ended up leaving the bilge for now because my compressor took a crap. I'm going to pull the motor after break in and coat it then. I got the motor broken in today. Hitting the lake tomorrow!

OverKill
01-07-2007, 07:02 PM
Did you use any duct tape too:idea:
Jb weld dont belong on any boat.....
Ya Mike I am just that stupid.. Perhaps you would like to enlighten this Kid as to how to do things your way. :D

Some Kind Of Monster
01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Pics!
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21486&d=1168225327
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21487&d=1168225356
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21488&d=1168225393

Some Kind Of Monster
01-07-2007, 07:07 PM
Ya Mike I am just that stupid.. Perhaps you would like to enlighten this Kid as to how to do things your way. :D
Actually I put an o-ring in there and bolted it in place. Worked pretty good :D

HotRod Sprint
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey, lookin good Billy, glad to hear you have it running again.
Rod

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-07-2007, 08:56 PM
not taking shots at ya. Just curious to find out why he told you that? FYI, my milodon oil pan has a short dipstick that has a washer and uses a bolthead to lock it in place;)
Wow, you are quick to defend things about your guru:idea: I bet you that he will tell you that your jetboat will never run over 70:eek: like he did me. Kinda funny how I beat that number by 15mph;) But then again I dont know anything about jetboats:p
Like everything else, you'll probablly go back and tell him what I said:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-07-2007, 08:56 PM
Actually I put an o-ring in there and bolted it in place. Worked pretty good :D
Did you get your oil pressure figured out????????

OverKill
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Looking good brother. I should have mine back with the new seat in next week. Lets do a lake run or something.

OverKill
01-07-2007, 09:04 PM
not taking shots at ya. Just curious to find out why he told you that? FYI, my milodon oil pan has a short dipstick that has a washer and uses a bolthead to lock it in place;)
Wow, you are quick to defend things about your guru:idea: I bet you that he will tell you that your jetboat will never run over 70:eek: like he did me. Kinda funny how I beat that number by 15mph;) But then again I dont know anything about jetboats:p
Like everything else, you'll probablly go back and tell him what I
said:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
No Mike he never did tell me my boat wouldnt run over 70, and no I don't think your taking shots at me. where did that come from. When I see you at the lake I will show you. It does in fact look like JB weld to me. In fact Dan said the same thing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-07-2007, 11:29 PM
No Mike he never did tell me my boat wouldnt run over 70, and no I don't think your taking shots at me. where did that come from. When I see you at the lake I will show you. It does in fact look like JB weld to me. In fact Dan said the same thing.
Its all good bro;) I jusr figured that they used a oring of some sort.

Pink Shocker
01-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Nice big block! Are your seats removable? Is it faster than 396's kachina?

Some Kind Of Monster
01-11-2007, 09:37 PM
At the lake...
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21821&d=1168580209

Some Kind Of Monster
01-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Praying it all works...
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21822&d=1168580401
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21823&d=1168580412

OverKill
01-11-2007, 09:58 PM
NIce Pics Billy. So how did she run?? how did the motor break in?? Let us know. My seats are on delay however when I get her all together I will flag you down for a lake run.:)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Nice big block! Are your seats removable? Is it faster than 396's kachina?
Hey hey hey!!! You better stop lil mama. Ill tell my friend billy on you:D It sure is faster than my Kachina. Hell even paddling is faster than my Kachina:D Kinda hard to drive without a pump sweetcheeks:D :p
Glad to hear that you guys are up and running;) Let me know if you guys need anything;)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
01-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Praying it all works...
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21822&d=1168580401
http://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21823&d=1168580412
I was wondering how you knew I was at the gym last night:D I totally forgot that Mike Darner worksout there;) You have a great guy on your side billy;) He is one of the coolest guy in the east valley;)

Some Kind Of Monster
01-12-2007, 09:21 PM
NIce Pics Billy. So how did she run?? how did the motor break in?? Let us know. My seats are on delay however when I get her all together I will flag you down for a lake run.:)
Well, it is running real well so far. It still has some breaking in to do, but I will take care of that this weekend. I will be at Bartlett all weekend until Monday. If anyone is out there, stop by the flats and say hi!

Vin-Dog
01-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Yo Billy,
Glad to see ur on the water! Spring and summer's right around the corner.
Still have to drop in motor on mine and a few minor things and she'll be ready.
Talk to you soon and good luck with your new build.;)

Some Kind Of Monster
01-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Yo Billy,
Glad to see ur on the water! Spring and summer's right around the corner.
Still have to drop in motor on mine and a few minor things and she'll be ready.
Talk to you soon and good luck with your new build.;)
Thanks Vince,
I took it to bartlett today and the water was so low that it looked more like a river. The loading dock was actually completely dry. We were finding things right and left that people must have lost off of boats. One guy found a gold ring. Anyone lose a gold ring at Bartlett? I'm hitting Saguaro tomorrow. Anyone down?

OverKill
01-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Billy I would love to go however I still dont have my girl back yet. Are you off every Monday?? My wife and I have Monday and Tuesday off, so any time you want to meet up let me know.;)