PDA

View Full Version : get a whirl a way

olbiezer
06-24-2006, 02:22 PM
some of u know this story but will tell it here......few weeeks ago i was over in texas with beaverfab testing some props and plate angles......start a run and get to about 5600 rpm and silence.......the engine just stopped from 5600 to zero in less then a second.........whirl a way did its thing and someone towed me in (thanks god...wind was 20 mph going the wrong way lol)......anyway......when jj put that prop release in last winter i thought i would never need that darn thing.......few hours after we trailered the boat i relized that i should have gotten wet.....but nope. safe and sound without a scratch......thanks for the prop release advise a while ago guys.......oh ya the boat got sold without motor going to elisnor to get another boat monday.....if u see a red f150 with mississippi plates on i 10 give me a shout....... :)
btw i am not preaching here just telling ya what happened to me.......

wsuwrhr
06-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Since I run a Dodge, that is the first thing I asked Menkins do to the box when I bought my Hondo.
Brian

CircleJerk
06-26-2006, 07:19 AM
Lou just got me an Algon for my Shark. You're the best!! And yes, we wouldnt race without a shaft release of some kind.........just plain good advise to never run without one!

Unchained
06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
What's the rule on the whirlaway when using a auto trans ?
Will the trans coast some if the engine stops?
Without the whirlaway will my tunnel hull keep the boat going straight?
Mark

schiada96
06-26-2006, 08:03 AM
Mark
yes

Kim Hanson
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Mark
The tranny does the same thing as a whirlaway.........( . )( . )......... :cool:

Marty Gras
06-26-2006, 08:08 PM
Yes it does, about two seconds too late!!!

Warp Factor
06-29-2006, 02:31 AM
Mark
I've been told that the trans will freewheel, but don't actually know. You might ask a transmission builder.
If you put in a Whirlaway, you'll lose reverse.
Before I had a Whirlaway, the engine quit once, and the boat slowed fast enough to slide my wife under the dash! But it didn't hook or do anything strange, kept going straight.
Our hulls aren't exactly the same though.

HM
06-29-2006, 09:43 AM
Mark
NO!
Since most of the trans in boats don't have a torque converter, or the torque converter is welded up, the trans will not "coast".
I speak from experience. I had my little blown mouse motor seize at 7500 RPM and I was doing close to 90 MPH. My boat nearly flipped onto the left side, the steering wheel kept me in the boat and then the force of the prop in the water forced the engine to spin but a roller lifter was jammen in the cam so it spun all the keys in the motor. Even though the engine spun, it was not spinning fast and I had no idea what the boat was going to do as it was like Mr. Toads wild ride as I decellerated. The boat was all over the f'n place and acted like it wanted to flip over to the left side, but not as badly as when the motor initially seized.
Even if you have an unlocked torque coverter, it will only let the propellar spin at maybe a 1000 RPM max.
I had a 2 speed powerglide.

olbiezer
06-29-2006, 03:22 PM
well when my motor froze up (barrings and 4 rods) from 5600 or so to zero the prop release did its thing........i didnt really anything notice anything bad at all just a boat slowing down normally like i let off the gas.......didnt even think of why i wasent wet untill a hour or two later ........

HM
06-29-2006, 04:35 PM
If you put in a Whirlaway, you'll lose reverse.
Reverse still works, just don't go for the dock at 5 mph and expect to slam it into reverse and stop. You learn to finese it in reverse.

Warp Factor
06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Reverse still works, just don't go for the dock at 5 mph and expect to slam it into reverse and stop. You learn to finese it in reverse.
How does reverse work? It will just ratchet the Whirlaway. Maybe with really small gears and a super low idle speed one could get something out of it, but you'd only be able to put about 5 ft/lbs to the propshaft.

EXTREMEBOATS
06-30-2006, 05:24 PM
:argue: YEA RIGHT..... I dont care how slow you go, IT AINT WORKIN!!!!
Mike :cry:

SUI-CY-COLE
06-30-2006, 05:32 PM
a tranny has a sprag in use in the forward gear...as it is not as goodor loose as a whirlaway, it will free wheel...... :) ...........but what good is a v-drive if you can dock it correctly???lol...there meant to go straight.....and a lot faster than a jet :p

GofastRacer
06-30-2006, 07:26 PM
A tranny will release when the motor dies since it quits pumping oil and pressure goes away "BUT" it is not instant and it takes a second or two for the pressure to go away, and that's all it takes for everything to go fubar so you need a whirlaway!.. As far as reverse goes, you can put a little bit stiffer spring in the whirlaway and it will work on an idle, who comes to the dock at 50mph anyways!...

SUI-CY-COLE
06-30-2006, 07:35 PM
A tranny will release when the motor dies since it quits pumping oil and pressure goes away "BUT" it is not instant and it takes a second or two for the pressure to go away, and that's all it takes for everything to go fubar so you need a whirlaway!.. As far as reverse goes, you can put a little bit stiffer spring in the whirlaway and it will work on an idle, who comes to the dock at 50mph anyways!...
i agree..thats what i meant to say...they dont freewheel that well.... :)

GofastRacer
06-30-2006, 07:53 PM
Well yeah they will, but not until "all" pressure is gone!.. Also you can figure the tranny is toast by the time you come to a stop, LOL...

EXTREMEBOATS
06-30-2006, 08:23 PM
I've have a Glide in one of my Deaver, And it shut down on me at 110mph... The boat set down soft but nothing like my Hemi Deaver with a Whirl away. Hydros dont get as squirley when shit goes south... well most dont... From my own seat time in flats, you really need one. And I dont think you want to test the tranny thing. :cry: Be safe and boat more!!!
Mike

EXTREMEBOATS
06-30-2006, 08:25 PM
:rolleyes: One more thing....
MAN POST MORE!!!! Your avitar is the best... Is ther a movie version???? SWEET.....
Mike :220v: