PDA

View Full Version : What do I do about my gauge's

beerjet
06-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Just bought all new pro comp marine gauges and one of the old ones was a amp gauge and the new one is a voltmeter . I have an idea as to what I need to do but I dont want to experiment with a brand new gauge.
-beerjet-

slowasscp
06-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Well all you need to do is hook it up as it shows in the directions. You could hook it up off of the key switch thats if you have one. Just run it off the ACC. side of the key switch.

Rexone
06-24-2006, 10:56 PM
Beerjet, hook the hot to + on the gauge and ground to neg on the gauge.
Ammeter is different, you run the hot through it (in series). Not the same as voltmeter.

beerjet
06-25-2006, 08:11 AM
Beerjet,
Ammeter is different, you run the hot through it (in series). Not the same as voltmeter.
This is the problem , The wiring is set-up for ampmeter and not for voltmeter .
I unfortunatly bought a voltmeter and would rather run it.
-beerjet-

roostwear
06-25-2006, 08:33 AM
To use the voltmeter in place of the ammeter (good move btw), you will be connecting the two ends going thru the ammeter to complete the circuit. I prefer to solder and use shrink tube to make a connection that that amount of current will pass thru safely. Then to hook up the voltmeter, you can run a wire (prob 16ga) from the switched side of the ign sw to the + side of the gauge, and a wire from the - side to a good ground.

Cheap Thrills
06-25-2006, 08:34 AM
If the amp meter is a pass through type (most are) you will have to tie both of those wires together for the charging current to get to the battery.
Or leave those disconnected and run a new charge wire from the Alt. to the battery. the volt meter connects to the positive (key on) posistion of the ignition switch to + terminal of the meter. and a ground wire to the - terminal on the meter to any good ground you can find either under the dash or back to the battery.
Good Luck.
C.T. :wink:

Rexone
06-25-2006, 11:36 AM
Beerjet you may find this page on the Auto Meter website helpful. It shows the wiring of both ammeter and voltmeter.
http://www.autometer.com/download_instruction/1079A.pdf
Auto Meter has a whole list of instruction pages on their site in pdf format.

78Southwind
06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
Beerjet
I ended up installing a voltmeter a couple years ago too. I ended up discounecting the amp wires and just using a jumper from the alt. to the bat. at the terminal block. That way you donĀ“t have to run the power all the way to the dash and back to the bat.

beerjet
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks alot guys !
Got her did !
-beerjet-

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-25-2006, 08:56 PM
I run all my volt meters off the ignition wire. All it is doing is reading the voltage in the battery;)