PDA

View Full Version : Any Yamaha Fans Out There???

BUCK_IT
06-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Just bought/stole an 89 200HP Yamaha that just had a crate power head installed. Has less than 50 hours on it. Also it just had a brand new lower unit put on. It has less than 2 hours on it. Over $7000.00 invested. I bought the thing for $1500.00 bucks and no it's not stolen. The thing looks brand new! The man just decided that he had bad luck with it and was ready to sell it cheep. I guess he has more money than brains. Anyway, I'm gonna put it on a 1972 16' Starbuck. Been told the Starbuck is a near copy of the Sidewinder boat. Need some tech tips. Don't intend to tear the motor apart but would like to get all I can out of it. Any little tricks or tweaking I can do to optimize output. Also need a prop recomendation. I have a Turbo Performance SS 4-blade 13 3/4 X 26 to go on it now. Is that gonna work for me? How about air intake and exaust. Carb jetting? Head work? I'll be damned if I'm gonna feel threatened by some punk ass kid on a frickin jet ski when I get this boat on the water!!! What ya got for me???

W.O.T
06-25-2006, 12:28 AM
sounds like a good deal i would work on getting it on the boat first and seeing how that works out before talking about hopups. get a good setup jackplate etc. im not to familiar with hopups for a yamaha o/b. if it were mine i would see what i could get for it and sell it and get a 2.5 merc. yamahas are kinda popular with the bass boys. but first se how it works on that 16 footer and work from there before doing any mods

You Te
06-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Good luck.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-25-2006, 03:15 AM
It's a good motor.
Yamalube for their 2 stroke watercraft is awsum.
Unlike Mercury 2 stroke oil, Yamalube 2 stroke is
Odorless, smokeless, doesn't foul your plugs, fast igniting ect.
Yamalube 2 stroke oil has a few versions for injection models ect.

Towndrunk
06-25-2006, 05:13 AM
Yamahas are very reliable motors. Thats why I have one on my hunting boat. Unfortunately they aren't fast motors. Do like wot said and get a merc from the get go. You got a good deal for a fishing motor but without putting a fortune in it and sacrificing reliability a fishing motor is all you have. I know this is not what you wanted to here but you did ask.
TD