PDA

View Full Version : 125+ open bow?

havasu boat builder
02-14-2002, 07:42 PM
it's in the works..........scarry thought, huh? It's coming..........will post when it becomes reality(soon)

Skaterfast
02-15-2002, 08:27 AM
Havasu Boat Builder.Who do you work for?E-Ticket Boats?

RiverDave
02-15-2002, 09:08 AM
That's a good question.
RD

carreraboat
02-16-2002, 06:40 AM
there is already a 125+ open bow it is a carrera 257 check 1 or 2 issues ago in hot boat that is one hightech machine i think he and svo 540 are 2 ofthe nicest cats in that size i think that would be an outstanding story to see them both run each other. they are both 2 bitchin rides

boatnam2
02-16-2002, 03:01 PM
do you want to know the difference between a open bow and closed bow cat at 125 nothing.every one is riding in the back.so there is no difference.who cares if it got the frigging front cut out so people can ride around while your going slow.i thought the way a cat works is by getting up on top of the water intraping air and making it really fast.so hows does that work with a boat load of people in the front.i never forget the fisrt time i seen one 4 years ago.i was having my motor built by blosdale in havasu for my 26ft cat.and the guy next door was cutting the front out of a 28ft daytona for a open bow.i asked the guy what's up with that and he gives me the funniest look and says i dont know i never been payed 5000.00 dollars before to ruin a boat.

playdeep
02-16-2002, 04:17 PM
boatnam2,great post,I cant seem to figure out where this guy (havasu boat builder) is coming from he opens up several topics in other forums that dont make a lot of sense.I am not trying to slam the guy but he comes across as an infomercial.

havasu boat builder
02-17-2002, 09:02 AM
just giving a little info on the haps in havasu.............if you like, i'll stop

Thunderbutt
02-17-2002, 09:27 AM
havasu boat builder. I have a V-Drive boat and when I'm at speed and have to let of off the gas or bury the plate for any reason everyone slides foward. What will the people sitting in an open bow do when you're going 125 and have to stop or turn to avoid something. Not good

Craig
02-17-2002, 09:27 AM
"Infomercial" or not, I appreciate the updates. It's not like it's major league spam pushing 40 mph bowriders. I say more info!!!
Craig

DMB
02-17-2002, 11:02 AM
Havasu boat builder, stick around were just giving you some crap,feathers get a little ruffled when sombody comes on this strong in the first couple of days of posting.
Things get a little heated sometimes not to worry brother,thick skin.
This guy probably posses some helpfull info.

havasu boat builder
02-17-2002, 01:40 PM
no worries............what is your ride?

playdeep
02-17-2002, 02:57 PM
hbb,sorry my bad,I can see from your posts that you are sincere,I read your comments regarding gel coat,bleed through etc.that kinda stuff is interesting to say the least,any insights regarding upkeep,uv damage would be appreciated

havasu boat builder
02-17-2002, 03:10 PM
all I do with my boat is make sure you get your passengers to help you wipe down everytime you pull your boat out and keep a good coat of wax on it.............i know that isn't much info, but it works for me(also garage kept)

RiverDave
02-18-2002, 09:09 AM
When your going that fast the aerodynamics of the boat play a big factor in how well the boat performs.. I.E. In some 21' daycruisers they are perfectly fine at 100, but in the same boat with an open bow it wants to swap ends on ya..
Anyone notice if that has a large effect on cats or not??
RD
[This message has been edited by RiverDave (edited February 18, 2002).]

Brad Zastrow
02-18-2002, 10:51 AM
My question is why? Why would anyone want a deck boat (cat)that goes 125? Sort of like stuffing a hemi into mini-van. Dumb....

DMB
02-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Cats do not like weight up front when running high speeds,their desined to fly with as little wet suface as possible,down force is just as critical as lift up front for the obvious reasons.
They say the cut out due to wind draft along with the added weight(Interior)takes 3-4 MPH off of top end.
I have a 25 Daytona with an open bow,when I run high speeds I simply don't let anyone sit up front not that anyone would want to. Although I have run up to about 90 with people sitting in front its a little harder to trim but thats about it.
Most the time were just cruising up and down the river anyway and the kids love it up front.

bigq
02-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Brad Zastrow:
My question is why? Why would anyone want a deck boat (cat)that goes 125? Sort of like stuffing a hemi into mini-van. Dumb....
This is why. Say your 40 or so, two or three kids maybe, the wife (or for some not). You need the room for the family, the friends so the deck boat it is. The problem is dad still wants to do a 100MPH when he is alone or has a buddy on board. Along comes Conquest, Placecraft, Eliminator with the answer, the 100MPH deck boat. The best of both worlds, right?

DMB
02-18-2002, 11:39 AM
Exactly Bigq ,Brad you would not be the first to call it stupid but the space is already so limited, with the cut out I can haul up to 5 kids and 6 adults easy,Im a family man who love kids and speed so It works out perfect for me.

boatnam2
02-18-2002, 06:46 PM
im 40 with a few kids and i can really appreciate a open bow cat but when someone says something like its something new or different or something special.i have to say again whats the difference between a open bow and closed bow cat when your going 125+ nothing.

Brad Zastrow
02-19-2002, 07:50 AM
I guess this is why the minvan/deckboat was invented. Personally I like sportscars and bad cats.

RiverDave
02-19-2002, 08:47 AM
Yeah, I guess you could compare a Cat/Deckboat to a minivan, but y'all have to admit a Conquest with a blower motor is bad ass.. LOL http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif It looks better then most close bows.
RD

sofa king smooth
02-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Brad i own a conquest "minivan" with a blower motor and and changing it over to a 1000hp+ quad rotor.I have ridden in lots of cats and my mini van turns and handles just as well, if not better than the cats its size.So I guess you would be pretty offended if a mini van ran over your bad kitty i mean cat.

RiverDave
02-19-2002, 09:42 AM
If I had the money I'd have a Conquest as well. In my little worthless humble like opinion they are BAR NONE the best thing going for Havasu/River use..
RD

HUFFPOWER
02-19-2002, 10:07 PM
so was this open bow an htm ? was it at havasu this last weekend ?

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2002, 08:27 AM
Okay, all this open bow stuff creates a question here. Why buy a sport cat and have the deck cut out? Why not buy a deck boat instead? The deckboat has more room than an open bow sport cat with the same bottom design for speed. I am with you Zastrow and boatnam2, I think the open bow sport cat is hideous!
Just an opinion! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif

bigq
02-20-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by HavasuDreamin':
Okay, all this open bow stuff creates a question here. Why buy a sport cat and have the deck cut out? Why not buy a deck boat instead? The deckboat has more room than an open bow sport cat with the same bottom design for speed. I am with you Zastrow and boatnam2, I think the open bow sport cat is hideous!
Just an opinion! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
Hideous is a strong word, you have never seen an open bow cat that you might of thought looked ok. I would also prefer a closed bow, but it comes down to the kids again, they love to ride up front. I like the open/cuddy better so you get a full dash and a place for the kids to get out of the sun. It could also look better if the interior did not protrude out and over the deck, kinda like Nordic does.

spectras only
02-20-2002, 10:23 AM
Just an interesting story; last year on Okanagan Lake [B.C Canada] a 21 Supra tournament skiboat sank with people sitting in the bow.Witnesses said it happened when the operator put the boat in reverse and the stern rose up burrying the nose too deep http://free.***boat.net/ubb/eek.gif .Long live the closed deck for me http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2002, 10:46 AM
BigQ: I am with Spectra's only. I am not an open bow type of guy. I have one child now and most likely another on the way in the next few years, but there are other ways to go aside from what I consider ugly boats (Open Bows). If space is mandatory, go with a deck boat. I can see that, plus they run because they have a tunnel bottom design. Hey . . . got a big family need room! Okay, that is the boat then, but I would never cut up a beautiful cat and put seats up front. As I said before and it is just my opinion, they are hideous!
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool07.gif
[This message has been edited by HavasuDreamin' (edited February 20, 2002).]

Brad Zastrow
02-20-2002, 10:50 AM
OK guys, I don't admit this to many people but I do own a Rinker 24' deck boat. It has a v6 that run 32mph!!! When I want to cocktail-cruise it fills the need. However my 2000hp 35' Motion will never, ever be passed by a open bow boat. Quad-rotors, quintupulet rotors won't stop me from snickering at the open bow wanna-be's.

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2002, 10:55 AM
Hey Brad . . . what ever happend to the beautiful 22' twister you use to own with the twin Merc's?
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool03.gif

kab
02-20-2002, 12:29 PM
Havasudreamin- I'll take my DCB open bow over whatever you have and definetly over that liberator 24. What makes you think open bows are wanna-be's?

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2002, 12:42 PM
Easy KAB:
First I never said the open bow's were wanna-be's and second, I would hope you would take you open bow over anything that I might have or else you shouldn't have bought it! My own personal opinion is that I don't care for their looks and I wouldn't cut one up. That's all, nothing more, nothing less.
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/cool/cool03.gif

kab
02-20-2002, 12:49 PM
Hideous.

HavasuDreamin'
02-20-2002, 01:02 PM
This is America right, and everyone has an opinion. That is what the forums are here for!
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy44.gif

kab
02-20-2002, 01:27 PM
This is America and you do have a right to your opinion. How fun to come in here and bag on someone else's stuff. Why dont we all do that. That would be pretty constructive wouldn't it?

Brad Zastrow
02-20-2002, 01:29 PM
That 22' Rapid Craft was a very scary boat. Really fast. Total weight was 2000 lbs full of gas. Next boat was (still have it)is a stunning 30' Motion with triple 280's. New toy is a 35' Motion with twin big bad 572ci blower motors and #6's. Wife thinks I have lost my mind. Maybe....

RiverDave
02-20-2002, 01:50 PM
Kab, I think I wouldn't mind having an open bow Mach 26 either.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif Make no mistake Open or closed bow DCB's are the shiznit to have! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
RD

kab
02-20-2002, 01:56 PM
Thanks Riverdave. I hear you met John D. in Parker last weekend. Anything good for sale in the keys?? Need some inside info.

spectras only
02-20-2002, 02:04 PM
Brad ,your wife and mine think the same.I'm down to two motorcycles from four, two boats from three and two cars from three.What's wrong with having toys http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif ? I'm about 55 now and still can't figure out why women complain about us having too many toys. Maybe not enough time for them ,hehe.

boatnam2
02-20-2002, 02:28 PM
heres a little info for you there are two lots for sale in the keys one that has a dock already.its up for sale for 170k add another 160k for a nice house and you will have something really sweet.oh the other lot is only 140k.

kab
02-20-2002, 03:03 PM
Boatnam2-is that the lot in the back row? We just sold our house in the keys in November, way too big-7 bedroom 4 bath. Would really love the last lot with river front, but it is actually two lots and the guys wants big bucks. Need something for this summer.

sofa king smooth
02-20-2002, 03:05 PM
Brad I guess you won't be offended because by conquest even with a quad won't be passing your motion.However, I still disagree with you on deck boats.However if you have one make it scream.

RiverDave
02-20-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by kab:
Thanks Riverdave. I hear you met John D. in Parker last weekend. Anything good for sale in the keys?? Need some inside info.
I just might have a little "inside info" for ya.. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Right across the street from my house, a guy and a chick were getting a divorce and the guy flipped out and tried to torch the place.. Well the house is in her name, but the insurance is in his/her name.. And as you know your insurance will not cover the damage if you set fire to your own house.. I believe she is selling it, and it should be a good value! Drop me an e-mail if you want more details..
RD

DMB
02-20-2002, 05:33 PM
HD, Opinions vary, I did not want a deck boat.
You fill so strongly about open bow cats that you term them hidious? OK, personally I think your just stiring up shit, whatever. I"ll tell ya, this is the funniest thread I read in a long time, Thank you.
Brad I wouldn't be so sure about that.

HavasuDreamin'
02-21-2002, 06:16 AM
DMB, KAB . . . .
I was not attacking anyone personally, nor was I trying to stir up sh**! That is not who I am! I am sorry if I offended anyone as I probably used too strong of terminology and will keep that in mind going forward. I did not mean to ruffle anyone's feathers.
Now back to hot boats which is what we are all here to talk about!
http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy01.gif

boatnam2
02-21-2002, 07:26 AM
kab come on up to the river annex,its a big step down for you but they have a nice beach and i can always help ya with putting that big cat in the water.what is the name on your boat?

kab
02-21-2002, 12:41 PM
Boatnam2-Where is river annex? My new boat has no name yet. I dont know if I'll name her.

Brad Zastrow
02-22-2002, 10:57 AM
I will sell my boat the day a bow rider passes me. It is going take about 155mph. The original post was about a 125mph bowrider. I believe bow riders are great for some people that need the room and want a go fast boat as well. But, 125mph?? That is nuts. Aerodynamics have to be a big factor at that speed. Sporty minvans (bowriders) are great but like I said a hot rod minvan is silly. Just my opinion...

kab2
02-22-2002, 11:20 AM
Brad- You keep referring to open bow boats as minivans- Do you consider suburbans minivans? They both hold alot of people. I have seen alot of bad-ass suburbans and bad-ass open-bow boats. Not everyone wants the hassle two 1000 hp motors bring not to mention the cost of a 35' boat.

DMB
02-22-2002, 11:51 AM
You might catch me, but I bet I pass your ass.
155 MPH! HMMMM! on The Queen Mary.

boatnam2
02-22-2002, 12:22 PM
kab its about 1/8 mile past roadrunner.its on the side of the street but has its own beach and cabana's,docks ect;etc.the ramp and beach are gatedand are sraight across the road from the complex .our realtor kim was at the desert bar last saturday and a lot of are new neighbors were there partying so she called me to tell how cool everyone was.

kab
02-25-2002, 07:39 AM
Thats a nice place. You must wake up to the morning speed passes all the time.

Brad Zastrow
02-25-2002, 09:26 AM
I use my Excursion to tow my boat. 300hp v10. I do not view that rig as bad-ass even if I put a blower and and cool wheels on it. It is a nice tow rig that is all. I would never try to keep up with Corvettes with it. An 125 mph open bow is still the point here. Nothing wrong with open bow boats, minivans or Suburbans. All are people movers and some are sporty. But true high performance they are not. Don't try to make a Corvette out of a Suburban or even compare them.

RiverDave
02-26-2002, 03:46 PM
Yeah, but what happens when that "guy" blows past someone in there sports car in a BMW X5?
It's an SUV, that out performs most entry level sports cars.
RD

Brad Zastrow
03-04-2002, 09:01 AM
X5??? A sports car? 4800 lbs, $58,000 and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. Even entry level $15,000 cars are that fast. All it is a plush, fast SUV. Sort of like a bow rider with a blower. They are nice but not high performance.

DMB
03-04-2002, 11:48 AM
Hey Brad, Opinions vary dude get over yourself, just because you think one way does not make it the gospel.
I cant believe your still on this subject.

RiverDave
03-04-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Brad Zastrow:
X5??? A sports car? 4800 lbs, $58,000 and 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. Even entry level $15,000 cars are that fast. All it is a plush, fast SUV. Sort of like a bow rider with a blower. They are nice but not high performance.
I noticed you failed to mention handling and braking.. To things that are commonly evaluated in sports cars.. 0-60 really is not the only ingrediant and isn't life or death on a roadcourse..
X5 comes factory with 14 inch brake rotors.. Brembo's at that.. That's as big as most "entry level" sports cars wheels..
RD

Brad Zastrow
03-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Correct, I am going to drop this. My thoughts about high performance are more Viper cars and Supercats than SUV's and bowriders. Sorry, did not mean to offend.

Brad Zastrow
03-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Correct, I am going to drop this. My thoughts about high performance are more Viper cars and Supercats than SUV's and bowriders. Sorry, did not mean to offend.

RiverDave
03-06-2002, 12:21 PM
Brad, I'd like you to know that to an extent I agree with you. I was just trying to prove the point that there are some that definately fall in a "grey area." It's all just opinions, and we know about them... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
I still like the conquest though... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
RD

hulshot
03-08-2002, 07:47 PM
has anyone read about the X-5 with the M motor in it that makes over 700hp? talk about haulin the family around. I dont know how many sport cars can haul 4 people and do over 180mph. talk about grocery getter.

RUN2RIVER
03-14-2002, 04:42 PM
In response to various comments about open bow boats doing 125+. I have an open bow cat that has a blown 572 in it that is more than safe at 118. I am sure that if I put some more boost into the blower I could run 125+ no problem (boat is on pump gas). The beauty is that I never really go that fast, but if I get a fur up my @$$ I can do it. Around Havasu it is awesome because you can get friends and family all on one boat and cruise at 80. I have never had any problems with going fast in the open bow. Just common sense says when you run big numbers make sure you are safe (helmet, vest). We don't need any more people dying because of speed! Thanks-RUN2RIVER