PDA

View Full Version : Best way to BBQ a steak.

GRUNION
06-25-2006, 06:15 PM
OK lets here it I am hit or miss when I grill. What do you guys have for tips.

jbone
06-25-2006, 06:41 PM
First, start with a good steak. Filet, ribeye, porterhouse, t-bone. The marbleing (fat) in the steak is what gives the flavor.
Apply favorite seasoning, and let sit out until it reaches room temp. I just use Montreal Steak seasoning.
Preheat bbq as hot as you can get it. 600 deg or so.
Place steaks on grill and close top. I do the presentation side down first. Make sure you don't get flare up. Allow steak to cook for 3 mins then rotate (not flip) 90 deg. This gives the crosshatch burn lines.
After 2 more mins, flip steak. Cook another 3-5 mins until done.
Remove steak and let sit a couple mins. Then serve and enjoy.
I do my steaks med-rare. About 9-10 mins total on a steak about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
The worst thing you can do is overcook.
J

moneypit
06-25-2006, 06:44 PM
On my DCS. :rolleyes:

Trailer Park Casanova
06-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Here, we always pan fry fillet migion in a pan with butter, and kosher rock salt.
COStCO steaks are best.
Another favorite is gourmet cut New Yorks to 2"+ thick.
Marinate overnite in home made Teriacki, and grill on high heat.
(soy sauce, brown sugar, green onion chopped, ginger, pepper)
OR:
Roll trip tip in mustard, then coat with kosher rock salt (margarita glass salt) then grill on medium to low.

Boatcop
06-25-2006, 07:02 PM
Grill?
Real men just rip into it raw.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-25-2006, 07:03 PM
COSCO steaks are best.
As in Costco? If so, their steaks suck ass! :yuk: I've had real good luck with the Ranchers Reserve from Vons. Especially the Tops and the London Broils.....

RitcheyRch
06-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Ribeyes always been my favorite and have good luck with Ralphs.

H20 Toie
06-25-2006, 07:14 PM
Check with big lue man he is a great cook

Never Satisfied
06-25-2006, 07:15 PM
Take your time!

beyondhelpin
06-25-2006, 07:16 PM
First start out with ribeye about 1 1/4" thick. Nice marbling but with as little large areas of fat as possible.
Let steak sit at room temperature soaking in pickle juice for 4 hours. Pickle juice has vinegar in it which help with an accelerated aging. YOU DONT TASTE THE PICKLE JUICE! Rub Lawry's Seasoning on steak up to 1 hour before grilling. Dont be afraid of the seasoning (do not lightly sprinkle, this is not pixiy dust).
Preheat grill to approx. 400 degrees. Open beverage of choice! Apply beef to grill! Keep a eye on the steak. Roll up edge of steak. If it looks like you like you steak to look, flip steak! Repeat last step. Do not over cook!!!! Remove!
Someone in the house should have baked potatoe, salad and mushrooms ready!
Now eat like a rock star!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

jbone
06-25-2006, 07:22 PM
You aren't Dan Quayle are you??
I'll have to try the pickle juice. That sounds interesting.
J

RitcheyRch
06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
All this steak talk is getting me hungry. I like Pickapeppa sauce on my steaks.

Havasu_Dreamin
06-25-2006, 07:35 PM
I usually take some A1 sauce and garlic salt and let a steak marinade all day in the fridge. I also used ACateredLifes BBQ sauce recipe and let a steak marinade all day, damn that was some good schtuff! Going to have to make up another batch of it.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-25-2006, 07:41 PM
I usually take some A1 sauce and garlic salt and let a steak marinade all day in the fridge. I also used ACateredLifes BBQ sauce recipe and let a steak marinade all day, damn that was some good schtuff! Going to have to make up another batch of it.
Yep, that's another simple but really good one too.
The kids love it that way.

a catered life
06-25-2006, 07:42 PM
this is right up my alley
first off every member that approved the ribeye as one of the best steaks are rght on target :p ribeye have a good amount of fat throughout the steak to make it flavorful and juicy....if your watching you fat/calories intake you can go with a filet which is much more lean but it wont be as good as a ribeye..t bones and strips just plain suck :yuk: stick with tri tips or ribeyes
second depending on how much time you have try this marinade it never let me down and its great
all you need is a little lawrys seasoning salt and a beer and some monterry steak seasoning
1. open any beer and pour about half over meat making sure its really wet
2. next on a plate lightly season salt both sides of the steaks
3. next incrust both sides of the steak with the monterry seasoning making sure to impact the seasonings on the steak
4 let the steak sit in the frig for 2-4 hours not turning the steaks
5. perheat grill to a medium to hot temp and carefully place steak on grill trying not to loose much of the incrusted seasoning
6. turn the steaks over once and and move to a non direct heat area of grill
grill for about 15-20 minutes depending on how thick the meat is
7. serve with twice baked potatoes and if you like grilled asapargus or steamed broccoli
8. let me know what time is dinner and i got the koolaid :p

slowinhavasu
06-25-2006, 07:42 PM
You have no idea what's coming your way, I did the steak tonight, all the normal stuff slow cooked at high temp...freekin perfect......
It was the side dishes that i can't spell that were over the top...your a lucky fu**ER.........Hope you two have a good week.....

a catered life
06-25-2006, 07:46 PM
glad you enjoyed the recipe....that stuff is flexible to use on anything :p
also for the guys going to the river put all you meat in a ziploc bag with your favorite marinade and place in freezer before you leave for the river meat with stay preserved and marinade
we do a bag of lemon jerk chicken and monterry steak for every trip
and the frozen meats keep the rest of the foods cold while it deforst

INSman
06-25-2006, 07:59 PM
I just go to Ruth's Chris and it comes out just about perfect every time :cool:

a catered life
06-25-2006, 08:01 PM
lmao

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:01 PM
this is right up my alley
first off every member that approved the ribeye as one of the best steaks are rght on target :p ribeye have a good amount of fat throughout the steak to make it flavorful and juicy....if your watching you fat/calories intake you can go with a filet which is much more lean but it wont be as good as a ribeye..t bones and strips just plain suck :yuk: stick with tri tips or ribeyes
second depending on how much time you have try this marinade it never let me down and its great
all you need is a little lawrys seasoning salt and a beer and some monterry steak seasoning
1. open any beer and pour about half over meat making sure its really wet
2. next on a plate lightly season salt both sides of the steaks
3. next incrust both sides of the steak with the monterry seasoning making sure to impact the seasonings on the steak
4 let the steak sit in the frig for 2-4 hours not turning the steaks
5. perheat grill to a medium to hot temp and carefully place steak on grill trying not to loose much of the incrusted seasoning
7. serve with twice baked potatoes and if you like grilled asapargus or steamed broccoli
8. let me know what time is dinner and i got the koolaid :p
3. Monterey or Montreal ??
5. How much time on first side, med to hot before flipping to "Non-Direct" heat for another 15+ ??

a catered life
06-25-2006, 08:19 PM
3. Monterey or Montreal ??
5. How much time on first side, med to hot before flipping to "Non-Direct" heat for another 15+ ??
:p montreal steak seasonings and yes you want to sear the seasoning on and slower cook...cook long enough to sear only
if you cook the incrusted steak on direct heat the seasoning will burn before the steak get done

lalhc
06-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Very simple -
#1 - Start out w/a good steak such as Porterhouse, Ribeye or NY
#2 - Grill on low-med heat till medium rare
#3 - Spice it up w/Lawry's seasoning salt, pepper, and Mrs. Dash as you grill

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:28 PM
:p montreal steak seasonings and yes you want to sear the seasoning on and slower cook...cook long enough to sear only
if you cook the incrusted steak on direct heat the seasoning will burn before the steak get done
What is the lemon jerk recipe please ?? :rollside:

a catered life
06-25-2006, 08:36 PM
What is the lemon jerk recipe please ?? :rollside:
your not starting a catering business are you? :p i'll send it in a pm somethings need to keep a sercet :cool:

Mrs 2LKHVSU
06-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Make reservations... :yuk:

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:45 PM
your not starting a catering business are you? :p i'll send it in a pm somethings need to keep a sercet :cool:
I am just a dumb insurance guy, no time to be starting ANY type of business :rollside:

a catered life
06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
I am just a dumb insurance guy, no time to be starting ANY type of business :rollside:
lmao check your pm's

a catered life
06-25-2006, 08:53 PM
we can only eat what we are exposed to :p

a catered life
06-25-2006, 08:54 PM
we can only eat what we are exposed to :p besides i like to see the USDA stamp :p

GunninGopher
06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
first off every member that approved the ribeye as one of the best steaks are rght on target ribeye have a good amount of fat throughout the steak to make it flavorful and juicy....if your watching you fat/calories intake you can go with a filet which is much more lean but it wont be as good as a ribeye..t bones and strips just plain suck stick with tri tips or ribeyes
I'm not disagree'ing with any of what Catered Life is saying, but these are the parts I definitely agree with. Rib eye's are the bomb. Costco is good because they deal in USDA choice, which I usually prefer because Prime is too lean for me. If you are on a budget, like me usually, Costco Tri Tip is the best bang for buck. You gotta have the marbling for good flavor. If you want to be spoiled, go to a specialty store and get grain fed USDA choice. I think that Ralph's special cuts are grain fed.
For a while I've used McCormick's & Cajun's Choice, but lately I've been using a Carne Asada & Cajun's Choice rub. I never recommend any kind of sugary maranade prior to cooking.
My steps:
0.5. Pre heat grill and open a beer. Be careful not to burn the grill.
1. Sear the steak over about 600 degree heat, 2 minutes on each side, then move it off of the direct heat. If you have one of those nice super BTU searing jobbies, good for you.
2. Put some zucchini (or other similar) on between the heat and steak. No need for butter or anything, IMHO.
3. Relax and enjoy a beer while cooking at about 450 or so.
4. Open another beer and flip the veggies.
5. Open another beer, flip steak & move veggies to upper rack.
6. Lower heat and enjoy another beer.
Serve all while comfortably buzzed.
Total cooking time 30 - 40 minutes.
I did this tonight and still am still feeling the enjoyment.

C-2
06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Decent steak has plenty of flavor, no need to get all crazy on them. Salt/pepper and a little garlic powder.
As somebody already mentioned, heat your grill to the point where it starts to melt or you receive phonecalls from concerned neighbors. Then it's time to throw the steaks on; only move them if they are on fire.
On steaks I like the taste of beef - not seasonings.
Plowboys in Westminster - they use a number ticket system if that tells you anything about their meat counter.

DILLIGAF
06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
I am all about the Costco NY or sometimes the Ranchers Reserve NY. Good meat with nothing but salt/pepper and sometimes a little garlic. The rest of the stuff isn't necessary to me as long as you start with a good piece of meat. I do agree on the asparagus and twice baked potato's though :)

GunninGopher
06-25-2006, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah, if you want to try something with a sub-par cut, soak it in minced onions overnight.
It will tenderize it.

a catered life
06-25-2006, 10:02 PM
I am all about the Costco NY or sometimes the Ranchers Reserve NY. Good meat with nothing but salt/pepper and sometimes a little garlic. The rest of the stuff isn't necessary to me as long as you start with a good piece of meat. I do agree on the asparagus and twice baked potato's though :)
what up dill :p did this recipe about a month ago something new for the kids chopped up a crap load of garlic sliced up some carrots, zucc. squash, broccoli tops, and asapurgas tops, onions, and two types of bell peppers, sauted the carrots in a lil olive oil until about half way done added the other veggies and at the last minute added the garlic covered the skillet with a lid for 3-4 minutes added a little salt and pepper yum yum my kids were licking their plates and fighting over the remains :argue: my son (the only boy out of 4)told me next time put more on his plate and his sister wont get on his nerves

MRSDRMCAT
06-25-2006, 10:09 PM
what up dill :p did this recipe about a month ago something new for the kids chopped up a crap load of garlic sliced up some carrots, zucc. squash, broccoli tops, and asapurgas tops, onions, and two types of bell peppers, sauted the carrots in a lil olive oil until about half way done added the other veggies and at the last minute added the garlic covered the skillet with a lid for 3-4 minutes added a little salt and pepper yum yum my kids were licking their plates and fighting over the remains :argue: my son (the only boy out of 4)told me next time put more on his plate and his sister wont get on his nerves
I wish I could just dream up these recipes......sounds yummy I am going to try this sometime this week....sounds YUMMY :220v:

THATJEFFGUY
06-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I prefer the tri-tip steaks from Sam's Club. Massage them with some good Santa Maria tri-tip seasoning rub. Let em sit at room temp for a couple hours, then throw them on the grill for about 8-9 mins per side (med rare). I keep them moist by spraying a special mixture (Liquid Smoke, Water, and garlic powder) on them several times while they cook.

MRSDRMCAT
06-25-2006, 10:16 PM
http://static.flickr.com/12/89455879_456dc27338.jpg?v=0 It is really too bad that most of you don't even know what really good beef is.....living in the foothills of Alberta has its advantages :cool:
Knock its horns off, wipe its ass, walk it by the grill and serve
WHERES THE BEEF

MRSDRMCAT
06-25-2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/488

Old Texan
06-26-2006, 04:53 AM
I keep hearing Ruth's Chris commercials that claim their steaks are cooked on an 1800 degree grill. Seems awful hot and close to metal meltdown temp. Anyone else hear this claim and wonder? :idea:http://www.ruthschris.com/steak/steak.html

DILLIGAF
06-26-2006, 05:47 AM
my son (the only boy out of 4)told me next time put more on his plate and his sister wont get on his nerves
That's funny :)

HM
06-26-2006, 06:57 AM
I have a friend that is an amatuer Chef, but probably one of the top 10 chefs in Orange County, as all his friends are chefs at places like Arches, Ritz, Four Seasons, and etc. Everytime I go to his house, it is an extraordinary food event that feels like we should be paying $200 a head to be at.
He cooks his steaks on a gas smoker - we call it the rocket ship, because that is what is sounds like. He flash cooks/grills the steaks. No bbq bricks or rocks or any of that stuff in the grille, just some big mesquite chunks in the bottom of the smoker. This thing gets hot - it is like 300,000 BTU. It cooks FAST!!!
It takes a little getting used to, as there is not a lot of room for error, but not only do the steaks come out like nothing I have ever done before, but, all meat for that matter. I don't use a regular bbq anymore.

JMC
06-26-2006, 07:14 AM
MMMMMMMM......breakfast, lunch, and a snack or two :cool:
Very nice picture. No steroids or growth hormones....100% natural and silicon free!!!!

centerhill condor
06-26-2006, 07:24 AM
place the meat in a plastic bag with whatever you like for marinade and freeze. the freezing opens the pores on the beef/pork/chicken so that the marinade soaks in better. then you can cook it however you like. wear earplugs.
that's everything I learned from NASCAR. :)

INSman
06-26-2006, 07:35 AM
place the meat in a plastic bag with whatever you like for marinade and freeze. the freezing opens the pores on the beef/pork/chicken so that the marinade soaks in better. then you can cook it however you like. wear earplugs.
that's everything I learned from NASCAR. :)
Might work good for chicken, pork and some less expensive cuts of meat, but I am not likely going to take a fresh filet/ribeye or new york and toss it in the freezer :220v:

SoCalSouthpaw
06-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Wow. Lots a good info on grilling. However, now I think its time to graduate steak 101, and move on into Advanced Steak Skillz. Don’t hate either; the following info isn’t anything I made up. Just got it from the pros. I know as soon as you read the part about not even considering a grill, some of ya are gonna call bullshit. But think about this for a minute, do you really think a good steak house actually takes the time to grill every steak order that comes across the counter? The answer is no. Alas….here it is; Heat up an iron skillet that has been seasoned with peanut oil and sea salt as hot as your stove will get it, smoke rising off the oil is a good thing. Because, a non-commercial stove will only get so hot. So put it on high and wait. While that is heating, turn on your oven to around 380. This will vary with the thickness of your steak, and trial and error. Your meat, room temp, lightly rubbed with peanut oil and your favorite seasoning. Forget about any kind of marinade. That was back in steak 101. We’re pros now, remember? I usually use Montreal Steak Seasoning, Dehydrated Orange Peel (just try it before you comment, my friends), and a little cracked pepper. Hand press all this into the meat. Ok, we are ready. Pan sear the steak, a couple minutes on each side, turning once, until a thin layer of crust begins to form. Remove from pan, place on middle rack in oven. It’s a good idea to place a drip pan on the lower rack. For a average sized 1lb steak approx ¼ to ½ thick, 5-8 minutes will give you a medium-rare steak. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. When its done right, your steak will almost melt in your mouth. :D

INSman
06-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Wow. Lots a good info on grilling. However, now I think its time to graduate steak 101, and move on into Advanced Steak Skillz. Don’t hate either; the following info isn’t anything I made up. Just got it from the pros. I know as soon as you read the part about not even considering a grill, some of ya are gonna call bullshit. But think about this for a minute, do you really think a good steak house actually takes the time to grill every steak order that comes across the counter? The answer is no. Alas….here it is; Heat up an iron skillet that has been seasoned with peanut oil and sea salt as hot as your stove will get it, smoke rising off the oil is a good thing. Because, a non-commercial stove will only get so hot. So put it on high and wait. While that is heating, turn on your oven to around 380. This will vary with the thickness of your steak, and trial and error. Your meat, room temp, lightly rubbed with peanut oil and your favorite seasoning. Forget about any kind of marinade. That was back in steak 101. We’re pros now, remember? I usually use Montreal Steak Seasoning, Dehydrated Orange Peel (just try it before you comment, my friends), and a little cracked pepper. Hand press all this into the meat. Ok, we are ready. Pan sear the steak, a couple minutes on each side, turning once, until a thin layer of crust begins to form. Remove from pan, place on middle rack in oven. It’s a good idea to place a drip pan on the lower rack. For a average sized 1lb steak approx ¼ to ½ thick, 5-8 minutes will give you a medium-rare steak. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. When its done right, your steak will almost melt in your mouth. :D
I am sure this works out great and I will have to try it sometime, but half the fun of cooking, is a bice BBQ outside with all of your friends, around the pool and drinking till the cows come home !! :cool:

Wet Pair-A-Dice
06-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Slat & pepper only drizzle with olive oil let sit until reaches room temp. I put my steaks in a 170 deg. smoker with a handful of Apple wood chips and let them smoke for 1 1/2 hrs. I then finish them off on high heat on my gas grill for 2- 3 min. until done. Great flavor and very tender as well.

phebus
06-26-2006, 08:23 AM
You people are way too picky!!!
My recipe is to drink all day without eating. Go home, throw any kind of meat on the grill, have another beer, and pull that thing off and eat it.
I guarntee you, at that space of time, it will be the best steak you have ever had.

SoCalSouthpaw
06-26-2006, 08:24 AM
I am sure this works out great and I will have to try it sometime, but half the fun of cooking, is a bice BBQ outside with all of your friends, around the pool and drinking till the cows come home !! :cool:
Oh no doubt there bro. I miss that too. Believe me. It was a hard switch for me. But the end result is even harder to pass up. Atleast with Ribeye's its a fool proof system to not have your steak ignite from the all the grease drippings they produce. You dont have to fight any flame ups. Thanks!

SoCalSouthpaw
06-26-2006, 08:25 AM
My recipe is to drink all day without eating. Go home, throw any kind of meat on the grill, have another beer, and pull that thing off and eat it.
I guarntee you, at that space of time, it will be the best steak you have ever had.
Thats because your taste buds are most likely numb from all the alcohol!! :rollside:

HM
06-26-2006, 08:31 AM
I prefer to call it sophisticated. But, your way works well too. In fact, I think I have had some of the best meals your way. But, I only drink but once every couple years, so, I had to figure out a way to better tasting steaks.

Havasteve
06-26-2006, 08:53 AM
Visit the Smokering, Champion BBQ & Smoker people. Tons of rubs, marinades and recipies.
www.thesmokering.com
For a beef Marinade I use Worcestershire, Dark Ballsamic Vinegar and Soy sauce.
I don't marinade rib eye steak, tastes great with a little Worcestershire from the spray bottle during grilling.

beyondhelpin
06-26-2006, 09:13 AM
Was actually thinking of trying you advanced grill skilz, then I see your steak is 1/4 to 1/2 thick. WTF. Thats about the thickness of the sole on my shoe. Gonna have to pass. :mad: :mad: :rollside:

SoCalSouthpaw
06-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Was actually thinking of trying you advanced grill skilz, then I see your steak is 1/4 to 1/2 thick. WTF. Thats about the thickness of the sole on my shoe. Gonna have to pass. :mad: :mad: :rollside:
Try reading first. I also commented that the "temp will vary with the thickness of your steak." The 1/4 to 1/2 is to give you an idea....that if your steak is more, like 2"+ thick, then you would probably want to lower the temp a bit as so to cook thoroughly. I assumed common sense would take over at this point in my writings. But, as you displayed, in your case, it didnt. My apologies for 'assuming'. You may go now. :p

Sleek-Jet
06-26-2006, 10:33 AM
I cook steaks outside over flames... like god intended. :D :D
If I'm going to feed alot of people, I get London Broils and marinade them overnight. I'll get several flavors, that way everyone is happy. I'll cut them iinto 1" strips to, so people can just eat with their hands... like god intended. You can also cook them real fast that way, so you don't need a huge grill to feed a good group of people.
Otherwise, it's Ribeye. The local safeway has put in a full service meat counter, and the butchers will hack you off whatever thickness you so desire. I'll rub them down with Montreal Seasoning, and then chuck them on a nice hot grill for about a minute, flip them over, and then turn the grill down or move them off to indirect heat if I'm cooking over coals. After I've finished a beer, I'll flip 'em over and drink another beer. They are medium rare at this point. I like mine cooked, so over the go again and out comes a beer. After three beers (about 30-35 minutes) the meat is ready to eat. Cooked all the way through and not dry or rubbery.
Add some some grilled squash and zuccini, a salad, and 'tato and another beer... :D
Great, now I'm hungry. :rolleyes:

SoCalSouthpaw
06-26-2006, 10:50 AM
Great, now I'm hungry. :rolleyes:
No kiddin!! Thanks alot as Im eating left over spagett here at work.!!!! :220v: :220v: :220v:
FYI: Ive had some good luck w. Albertsons meats.

Deano
06-26-2006, 11:26 AM
the best I have cooked;
1)Get a good ribeye.
2 )rub some oil on,
3) rub montreal seasoning and pepper in,
4) wrap in cellophane (sp) and put in the fridge for a couple hours. (at least 30 minutes)
sear on both sides and cook indirect to your liking...usually three beers.
Kickass steak
grill some corn on the cob on the grill at the same time.
good thing its lunch time :)

Burn Out
06-26-2006, 04:03 PM
Montreal seasoning.
Or Salt and pepper and Worchestshire sauce!
:cool:

castone001
06-26-2006, 04:41 PM
Blackened Steak!
lotsa melted butter
1 - 4, or more, ribeyes depending on how many folks your feeding
1 - 2 bottles of chef pauls blackened steak magic
1 big CAST IRON skillet
1) dredge steaks one at a time in the melted butter
2) enjoy your fav beverage
3) coat, completely cover, each steak, boith sides with steak magic
4) enjoy your fav beverage
5) sit on platter on the counter
6) enjoy your fav beverage
7) heat cast iron skillet (preseasoned) for about 10 mins on HIGH heat
8) enjoy your fav beverage
9) place steaks in skillet and turn after 3 minutes, the skillet or grill must be hot!
** CAUTION: this creates tons of smoke so well ventilation is key or discon your smoke alarm :) I like to do this on my bbq outside.
10) enjoy your fav beverage
12) after 3 - 6 minutes on second side remove to platter and let sit for 5 mins.
13) enjoy by itslef or with enjoy your fav beverage
You will have the best steak you have ever had!!
Enjoy!

INSman
06-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Oh no doubt there bro. I miss that too. Believe me. It was a hard switch for me. But the end result is even harder to pass up. Atleast with Ribeye's its a fool proof system to not have your steak ignite from the all the grease drippings they produce. You dont have to fight any flame ups. Thanks!
My new BBQ in Havasu will have this ProSear deal, that I can likely accomplish the same results by searing first and then indirect cooking for the remainder. :cool:

Boy Named Sue
06-26-2006, 10:02 PM
Read about half the thread and can say there is very good advice here. I BBQ almost every day and twice on Sunday and there is very good advice here, and I listen to every thing acl has to say. My own piece of advice is never turn your back on the grill, for it will surely flare up on you. Only if you are indirect q'ing do you have time to run in the house to take care of business, and then just as fast as you can.
As an x Central Coaster, BBQ, especially tri-tip, is what I want to do on any day the weather will permit!
Grill On! Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey!

jbone
06-26-2006, 11:08 PM
Thats a pretty thin steak. Sounds like carne asada.
I'll stick to the hot grill though. You are right about the Montreal, that is some good stuff.
J

jbone
06-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Blackened Steak!
lotsa melted butter
1 - 4, or more, ribeyes depending on how many folks your feeding
1 - 2 bottles of chef pauls blackened steak magic
1 big CAST IRON skillet
1) dredge steaks one at a time in the melted butter
2) enjoy your fav beverage
3) coat, completely cover, each steak, boith sides with steak magic
4) enjoy your fav beverage
5) sit on platter on the counter
6) enjoy your fav beverage
7) heat cast iron skillet (preseasoned) for about 10 mins on HIGH heat
8) enjoy your fav beverage
9) place steaks in skillet and turn after 3 minutes, the skillet or grill must be hot!
** CAUTION: this creates tons of smoke so well ventilation is key or discon your smoke alarm :) I like to do this on my bbq outside.
10) enjoy your fav beverage
12) after 3 - 6 minutes on second side remove to platter and let sit for 5 mins.
13) enjoy by itslef or with enjoy your fav beverage
You will have the best steak you have ever had!!
Enjoy!
It'll either be really good, or you'll be too drunk to know otherwise. That's a lot of beverage enjoying there before a big steak dinner. :messedup:
J

Tom Brown
06-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Canadian grain fed beef (although I like the corn fed stuff you Americans like too), some Montreal steak spice, and a small dollup of garlic butter.
... and, of course, cooked on a really hot grill, set as hot as it will go for 4 minutes on the first side, 2:45 the second side. Unless you're cooking a shoe, that's all that's necessary.
Let the orgasms begin. :cool:

jbone
06-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Since we're talking about steaks, has anyone tried a Kobe steak.
I hear that is the highest quality aged beef from Japan.
Any details on where to buy, how much, and is it worth it?
J

kanedog
06-26-2006, 11:51 PM
Spice and marinate to your liking. to get the perfect tenderness, i do the following:
preheat bbq to just a bit above medium heat and throw on steaks.
close lid
open lid every min or two or when the heat starts moving up the temp guage(like boating kinda). this is to let the heat out so it doesnt harden up the meat by cooking too fast.
When the blood starts to come up to the surface of the steak and it looks like large beads of sweat(except it is blood, flip the steaks)
repeat process for this side.

Boy Named Sue
06-27-2006, 12:47 AM
There's alot of good ways to cook a steak, and a few bad ways. All good ways are good, excellent ways will be enjoyed by most. There will always be some one that wants to pour Masterpiece on one of your handcrafted ribeyes, while a good bbq sauce kick ass on chicken or ribs I didn't cook the mouthwatering ribeye so you could smother it in bbq sauce. I brown pieces of cardboard for your types if you request in advance. There is no point to this ramble, just don't over cook, and if you do, freeze, reheat, and smother in Masterpiece for the cardboard eaters and smile like you did them a favor, because you did, you gave them what they want.
~ Suey

Boy Named Sue
06-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Canadian grain fed beef (although I like the corn fed stuff you Americans like too), some Montreal steak spice, and a small dollup of garlic butter.
... and, of course, cooked on a really hot grill, set as hot as it will go for 4 minutes on the first side, 2:45 the second side. Unless you're cooking a shoe, that's all that's necessary.
Let the orgasms begin. :cool:
Y'all sold me on the Montreal seasoning. Everyone talks about cooking time but thickness and grill temps vary so much I've always cooked on a meat firmness approach. After poking enough meat with my tongs I can tell its doneness. Does anyone else do this?
Hooli no one asked you. :rollside:

Spotondl
06-27-2006, 01:53 AM
It seems that God has a sense of humor and made we humans with an opposing thumb that allows us to gauge the doneness of our BBQ'd meat...
Take your thumb and just touch the tip of your index finger forming an OK sign, don't squeeze your thumb and index fingers... the flesh at the web of your thumb and palm will be soft just like a "rare" steak when you push on it with your other hand...
Now, move your thumb to your middle finger and that web of flesh will firm up just a bit just like a medium rare steak...
Thumb to ring finger, the web firms up a bit more like a medium steak,
And thumb to pinky and you have wrecked a perfectly good piece of meat...
It really does work, now go play with your meat damn it... Where is the drama in this thread... no ass kicking, threats, nothing... grrrr...

Spotondl
06-27-2006, 01:56 AM
Commander Beef in Charge humor... I laughed my a$$ off...
WHITE HOUSE BREAKFAST
Dick Cheney and George W. Bush were having breakfast at the White
House.
The attractive waitress asks Cheney what he would like, and he replies, "I'd like a bowl of oatmeal and some fruit."
"And what can I get for you, Mr. President?"
George W. replies with his trademark wink and slight grin, "How about a quickie this morning?"
"Why, Mr. President!" the waitress exclaims "How rude! You're starting to act like Mr. Clinton, and you've only been in your second term of office for a year! ''
As the waitress storms away, Cheney leans over to Bush and whispers ..."It's pronounced 'quiche.'".
Guess he really is a beef eaten Texan....

Boy Named Sue
08-01-2006, 06:50 PM
First start out with ribeye about 1 1/4" thick. Nice marbling but with as little large areas of fat as possible.
Let steak sit at room temperature soaking in pickle juice for 4 hours. Pickle juice has vinegar in it which help with an accelerated aging. YOU DONT TASTE THE PICKLE JUICE! Rub Lawry's Seasoning on steak up to 1 hour before grilling. Dont be afraid of the seasoning (do not lightly sprinkle, this is not pixiy dust).
Preheat grill to approx. 400 degrees. Open beverage of choice! Apply beef to grill! Keep a eye on the steak. Roll up edge of steak. If it looks like you like you steak to look, flip steak! Repeat last step. Do not over cook!!!! Remove!
Now eat like a rock star!!!!!! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:
As much as I like a good pickle, I don't like it when the meat in my mouth reminds me of one.
I just did this recipe and the steak does TASTE LIKE PICKLES!
The rest of the recipe is pretty good. Suggest changing the pickle juice to beer, vinegar, and your favorite rub. At least it won't taste like pickles. :yuk: