PDA

View Full Version : 496ho trouble

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 07:16 PM
I had a problem with my boat on sat. the boat has a stock 496ho. And at about 4500 rpms just when u try to plain out it looses all power and the buzzers go off. I think it goes into guardian mode. All the gauges look fine and it has plenty of oil. Any ideas. i had to drive it back from topock to the marina on sat at 3000 rps no plaining and pushing water it sucked. so sorry if i got in anyones way i was making a pretty good size wake, but at least i made it back under my own power any ideas and might i add its still under factory warr. who in havasu in mercury authorized any help thanks. :cry:

Primetime
06-25-2006, 07:19 PM
When was the last time you changed the impeller on the water pump?

Havasu_Dreamin
06-25-2006, 07:19 PM
who in havasu in mercury authorized any help thanks. :cry:
Absolute Speed and Marine (http://www.absolutespeedandmarine.com/) 928-855-2252
Alco Marine is Merc certified I believe.
Lakeland is Merc certified.

shadow
06-25-2006, 07:20 PM
J,just tried to call.Got your voice mail.Did you check your drive oil level?Let me know if you need help getting it over to a shop.

shadow
06-25-2006, 07:32 PM
:) :)

voodoomedman
06-25-2006, 07:45 PM
I'll third Absolute. Aaron and Brian will take care of you. Bring them some Red Stripe.

INSman
06-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Another vote for Absolute Speed & Marine. :cool:
They will put a Scan Tool on her and have it figured out in NO time. Usually the drive lube buzzer is very intermittant, so I am thinking it is something else. How did your oil pressure and water temp gauges look ?

AZJD
06-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Check your engine oil level....mine was doing the same thing when plaining, if your low it will trip the smartcraft and pull power from the engine! I noticed on my 496 I have to pull the dip like 5 or 6 times to get an accurate reading!

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 08:30 PM
When was the last time you changed the impeller on the water pump?
never.

Pro Max
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
I second that recomendation !!
Arron is awesome :boxed:

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:31 PM
never.
RUH, ROH !!! How many hours ?? :220v:

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 08:33 PM
Another vote for Absolute Speed & Marine. :cool:
They will put a Scan Tool on her and have it figured out in NO time. Usually the drive lube buzzer is very intermittant, so I am thinking it is something else. How did your oil pressure and water temp gauges look ?
water temp has never gone over 180 and the oil pressure is at about 40 psi at wot. 20 when idling it has never changed in the 80 hrs on the boat. :rollside:

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 08:36 PM
Check your engine oil level....mine was doing the same thing when plaining, if your low it will trip the smartcraft and pull power from the engine! I noticed on my 496 I have to pull the dip like 5 or 6 times to get an accurate reading!
thanks, good lookin out! i will check that also. i checked it out in the water and it read full. but that was in pretty rough water.

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:37 PM
water temp has never gone over 180 and the oil pressure is at about 40 psi at wot. 20 when idling it has never changed in the 80 hrs on the boat. :rollside:
Oil pressure seems low to me, but you definitely need to get the impeller changed along with the 50 hr. service if not already done so.

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 08:40 PM
RUH, ROH !!! How many hours ?? :220v:
80 is that alot. :rollside:

AZJD
06-25-2006, 08:42 PM
thanks, good lookin out! i will check that also. i checked it out in the water and it read full. but that was in pretty rough water.
To get an accurate reading let the enginset for 1/2 hour or so and make sure you re-check the level at least 5 or 6 times....it will fool you. Could save ya a trip to shop....my oil pressure was reading the same and I was low on oil!

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:43 PM
80 is that alot. :rollside:
It is not alot, but it is certainly enough :rollside:
Depends on how hard that 80 hrs. is, but I think you need the 25, 50 and 100 hr. service to be completed if none have yet to be done. :220v:

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Oil pressure seems low to me, but you definitely need to get the impeller changed along with the 50 hr. service if not already done so.
thanks for your info, i have shadow calling absolete marine first thing in the morning and if they can get me in i will have them do the 50 hr service change the impeller and hopefully detail the boat. thanks for the help. next time out i will buy u another drink.. :p

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 08:47 PM
It is not alot, but it is certainly enough :rollside:
Depends on how hard that 80 hrs. is, but I think you need the 25, 50 and 100 hr. service to be completed if none have yet to be done. :220v:
75 of the hours are probley driven W. O. T.! i drive the thing very hard i never let up. i drive it like i stole it....lol.....and i have done the 25 hour at about 34 and now its ready for the 50-100 hr service.. :rollside:

bignet
06-25-2006, 08:53 PM
J,just tried to call.Got your voice mail.Did you check your drive oil level?Let me know if you need help getting it over to a shop.
Drive oil level screwed up my weekend a month back...there's a sensor that prohibits you from putting the boat into drive...you can start it, but you can't take it out of neutral...$80 later, I was told by the Merc mechanics at the Marina by county ramp that the drive fluid can't be low at all. Goodluck.
bignet

INSman
06-25-2006, 08:56 PM
thanks for your info, i have shadow calling absolete marine first thing in the morning and if they can get me in i will have them do the 50 hr service change the impeller and hopefully detail the boat. thanks for the help. next time out i will buy u another drink.. :p
As long as it doesn't pull them off of my project that needs completing by Friday at noon, Absolute will take great care of you and thanks for the first drink and the second :cool:

hallett21
06-25-2006, 08:59 PM
also savage marine its on industrial in havasu

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 09:07 PM
also savage marine its on industrial in havasu
how is savage are they pretty quick on turn arounds and how booked is everone?

Beer-30
06-25-2006, 09:10 PM
Wow. 80hrs on first impellar. Anyone know if that is some kind of record? That would definitely be your problem. Water pressure dropping off, puts ECM into guardian.
Wow.

ultra27jay
06-25-2006, 09:16 PM
Wow. 80hrs on first impellar. Anyone know if that is some kind of record? That would definitely be your problem. Water pressure dropping off, puts ECM into guardian.
Wow.
thanks for your input. i will be keeping a spare on the boat for now on. no one told me when to change it. but now i know. thanks

Jyruiz
06-25-2006, 10:52 PM
I thought I read on the Merc manual that the water impellor needed to be changed every 50 hours if used in salt water, and every 100 if used in fresh water. Maybe I read that on my Merc manual when I had my previous boat with a 4.3 Merc. Where is the impellor and how hard is it to change the water impellor on the 496?

K9Blitz
06-25-2006, 10:53 PM
I'm at work and don't have my 496HO owners manual, but I recall something about that motor having a brass (or metal) impeller that doesn't need changing for at least 100 hours. That was one of the selling points of the 496HO / XR drive set up is that it is heavy duty. And I don't think it needs replacing, only a disasemble and inspect, then replace as needed.
The rule with the old rubber/plastic impellers was to change once a year if you boat the river and every two years if you boat on the lake. Those impellers dried out and were easily damaged by sediment in the water.
Maybe someone has a manual on here and can check the maintenance schedule. The days of $25 - 30K motor/outdrive rigs with a $2 piece of crap plastic impeller that disables the motor if not changed every year should be gone.
Either way, the maintenance schedule in the back of the manual should give you the scoop on the impeller.

caroftheweek
06-26-2006, 06:38 AM
I changed our first impeller at 153 hours. it came out perfect too. we changed it anyway just as a precaution. the boat runs a little hotter with the new impeller which i found weird.

caroftheweek
06-26-2006, 06:40 AM
I'm at work and don't have my 496HO owners manual, but I recall something about that motor having a brass (or metal) impeller that doesn't need changing for at least 100 hours. That was one of the selling points of the 496HO / XR drive set up is that it is heavy duty. And I don't think it needs replacing, only a disasemble and inspect, then replace as needed.
The rule with the old rubber/plastic impellers was to change once a year if you boat the river and every two years if you boat on the lake. Those impellers dried out and were easily damaged by sediment in the water.
Maybe someone has a manual on here and can check the maintenance schedule. The days of $25 - 30K motor/outdrive rigs with a $2 piece of crap plastic impeller that disables the motor if not changed every year should be gone.
Either way, the maintenance schedule in the back of the manual should give you the scoop on the impeller.
496 HO still uses a rubber impeller.

voodoomedman
06-26-2006, 06:42 AM
Everyone freaks about the impeller but if you don't run in low water then 80 hours is fine. I serviced my boat with Aaron at about 30 hours or so and he didn't change the impeller. I serviced again at 70 or so hours and he did change the impeller but I believe it looked fine just time for a change after two seasons. And it wasn't my decision it was his. I drop it off every year and tell him to do what needs to be done to take care of her.

Havasu1986
06-26-2006, 06:51 AM
I change mine once a year. If you go thru the trouble to take it apart, you might as well change it. Not much $.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-26-2006, 07:21 AM
I had this same problem one time and it turned out to be all the shiat it suck up. Tons of weeds in the heat exchange. Some how the motor knew it before it over heated and just shut down!! Tripy! Do you have sea strainers on that thing? I would bet not.

phebus
06-26-2006, 07:26 AM
A new impeller costs $38.00 and about a half hour to replace if you do it yourself. Cheaper then an oil change.
I change mine every year. Cheap insurance if you ask me.

Dave C
06-26-2006, 07:41 AM
I let the impellar run for a while also but I also carry a spare at all times. I agree after a two years and 80 hrs its about time to change it, but just as a precaution.
anyone else have a engine oil level warning???... my buddy is having the same problem as this guy?

INSman
06-26-2006, 07:44 AM
A new impeller costs $38.00 and about a half hour to replace if you do it yourself. Cheaper then an oil change.
I change mine every year. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
What do you charge for 1 hour of labor Rick ??!!?? :cool:
I would like to learn from a trained professional, on my boat of course :rollside:

AZJD
06-26-2006, 07:55 AM
Ok, so we have 3 diagnosis' out there!
1) Impellar
2) Drive Oil
3) Engine Oil
Let's place bets.............
Be sure to let us know what is Ultra27Jay

Cruzzze
06-26-2006, 07:56 AM
If I could ask a question here, will an impellar limit a mph on a boat?

phebus
06-26-2006, 07:56 AM
What do you charge for 1 hour of labor Rick ??!!?? :cool:
I would like to learn from a trained professional, on my boat of course :rollside:
Just let me know when, and I will be there. The only hard part of the job, is getting down in the bilge, and twisting your body around to get to the pump. It's only three bolts, and two hose clamps to remove the whole pump, and then you replace the impeller on the bench.

phebus
06-26-2006, 07:58 AM
1) Impellar
2) Drive Oil
3) Engine Oil
There are so many sensors on the 496HO, that the only proper thing to do would be to take it to a shop with a scan tool, and get it scanned to pinpoint the exact problem.

phebus
06-26-2006, 08:01 AM
If I could ask a question here, will an impellar limit a mph on a boat?
The impeller itself would in no way limit rpm, but if one of the sensors recognized low water pressure, or high temp, it could throw the engine into guardian mode, and limit the engine to around 2900 rpm.

Dave C
06-26-2006, 08:02 AM
sssshhhh.. you not supposed to tell them that.... Its a rough and difficult job requiring extensive training and effort ;) ..... so you should be compensated accordingly. ;) ;)
LOL
Just let me know when, and I will be there. The only hard part of the job, is getting down in the bilge, and twisting your body around to get to the pump. It's only three bolts, and two hose clamps to remove the whole pump, and then you replace the impeller on the bench.

AZJD
06-26-2006, 08:10 AM
There are so many sensors on the 496HO, that the only proper thing to do would be to take it to a shop with a scan tool, and get it scanned to pinpoint the exact problem.
I agree, just trying to make some money for gas! :)

INSman
06-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Gracious offer, but you might want to reconsider... Have you seen my bilge ??!!?? :220v: There ain't no gettin' down in there unless you are a small squirrell :rollside:

Kachina26
06-26-2006, 08:23 AM
Gracious offer, but you might want to reconsider... Have you seen my bilge ??!!?? :220v: There ain't no gettin' down in there unless you are a small squirrell :rollside:
Did you just call Aaron a squirrel?

Kilrtoy
06-26-2006, 08:25 AM
1) Impellar
2) Drive Oil
3) Engine Oil
I'll bet you 20 it is NOT the impeller

AZJD
06-26-2006, 08:26 AM
I'll bet you 20 it is NOT the impeller
I won't take that bet!
I will go $40 on the engine oil?

ultra27jay
06-26-2006, 08:30 AM
1) Impellar
2) Drive Oil
3) Engine Oil
shadow is my hero, he went over to absolute at 730 am and allready talked to brian, got me in as soon as tomorro. im fed ex ing my door opener so they can go annd pick up my boat tomorro morning WHAT A GREAT COUPLE OF GUYS!!!! and as far as the impeller brian said if the boat never got hot that the chances are its not the impeller. so lets hope it just the computer glitch...i will be keeping u guys posted....off to fed ex....

voodoomedman
06-26-2006, 08:43 AM
shadow is my hero, he went over to absolute at 730 am and allready talked to brian, got me in as soon as tomorro. im fed ex ing my door opener so they can go annd pick up my boat tomorro morning WHAT A GREAT COUPLE OF GUYS!!!! and as far as the impeller brian said if the boat never got hot that the chances are its not the impeller. so lets hope it just the computer glitch...i will be keeping u guys posted....off to fed ex....
Support ***boat Members! Take that opener to UPS! :) :rollside: :)

ultra27jay
06-26-2006, 08:49 AM
Support ***boat Members! Take that opener to UPS! :) :rollside: :)
oops!!! sorry i will do so!! did not know.....my bad :crossx:

phebus
06-26-2006, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty sure that there is a one case mandatory gratuity of Red Stripe for such expedious service. :rollside:

voodoomedman
06-26-2006, 08:55 AM
oops!!! sorry i will do so!! did not know.....my bad :crossx:
Thanks!

ultra27jay
06-26-2006, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty sure that there is a one case mandatory gratuity of Red Stripe for such expedious service. :rollside:
NO WORRIES I WILL BRING 2 CASES, NOT A PROBLEM. any one else need any. :crossx:

voodoomedman
06-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Sam's club has cases right now for about 20 bucks. When I took one to Aaron he was surprised to see a case and asked me where I got it. Make sure he knows where you found out where to get him a case. Maybe I'll get taken care of better when I'm there. J/K it's not possible to get better service when it's already that good.

Jyruiz
06-26-2006, 09:12 AM
No gaskets to replace?

Second "PLACE"
06-26-2006, 10:55 AM
Had this same issue last year with my 496HO. I would spend a few hours at mid day in the Moabi channel or the Sandbar.(These locations are very sandy). Apparently I had a perfect impeller but SAND was clogging up my heat exchanger, thus not alllowing adequate cooling-- My temp gauge never went above 180 degrees either.
EASY FIX. Remove the covers on both sides of the heat exchanger and flush. 10-15 minutes at best.
Now obviously I'm very careful of sucking sand, and clean this exchanger regularly. Incidently, the 496HO book I have recommends an impeller every 100 hours of fresh water use.

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Incidently, the 496HO book I have recommends an impeller every 100 hours of fresh water use.
....OR every 3 years. Sitting hurts them too, as one side is always fully compressed. The vanes will tend to get a memory of their compressed locations and/or become brittle and start breaking off. Been there, seen that.

Second "PLACE"
06-26-2006, 11:09 AM
....OR every 3 years. Sitting hurts them too, as one side is always fully compressed. The vanes will tend to get a memory of their compressed locations and/or become brittle and start breaking off. Been there, seen that.
Very True beer 30. I've seen this as well.
I'm anxious to see if "27" has the same problem with sand in the exchanger I expirienced.........

Beer-30
06-26-2006, 11:14 AM
I believe all of us "west coast"-ers boat in more and more sandy conditions. Nature of the beast; Nothing's free; whatever you want to call it.

ultra27jay
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Very True beer 30. I've seen this as well.
I'm anxious to see if "27" has the same problem with sand in the exchanger I expirienced.........
im very curios also i will let u know tomorro as soon as i find out. thanks for the help.

riverroyal
06-26-2006, 05:01 PM
my impellor at 30 hrs,I will do it again at 100,im at 75 now

Midlife Advantage
06-26-2006, 05:26 PM
the nice thing about having the Smartcraft display on the dash is that you can page to the impellar water pressure and make sure it is correct. At idle it runs about 5-10 pounds I think and at speed its up around 30. I check it 2 or 3 times a day while on the lake, especially after pushing off of the channel! :idea:

Focker
06-26-2006, 06:17 PM
As long as it doesn't pull them off of my project that needs completing by Friday at noon, Absolute will take great care of you and thanks for the first drink and the second :cool:
they told me this weekend your boat is at least 6 weeks down :cry:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-26-2006, 06:19 PM
Had this same issue last year with my 496HO. I would spend a few hours at mid day in the Moabi channel or the Sandbar.(These locations are very sandy). Apparently I had a perfect impeller but SAND was clogging up my heat exchanger, thus not alllowing adequate cooling-- My temp gauge never went above 180 degrees either.
EASY FIX. Remove the covers on both sides of the heat exchanger and flush. 10-15 minutes at best.
Now obviously I'm very careful of sucking sand, and clean this exchanger regularly. Incidently, the 496HO book I have recommends an impeller every 100 hours of fresh water use.
I will still bet it is sand or weeds in the exchange. I don't get why all the others did not agree with my previous post. Now I can't wait to hear!!

INSman
06-26-2006, 06:59 PM
they told me this weekend your boat is at least 6 weeks down :cry:
Nice try jokester, simple fix that will be done by Thursday :cool:

ultra27jay
06-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I shipped the remote U.P.S today red label so at 1030 am he can go and retrive my boat from my house and get started on it. so keep the bets coming and lets just wait and see. thanks everone for your support :)

INSman
06-26-2006, 08:55 PM
I shipped the remote U.P.S today red label so at 1030 am he can go and retrive my boat from my house and get started on it. so keep the bets coming and lets just wait and see. thanks everone for your support :)
We are a BIG family Jason, you are more than welcome :cool:

ultra27jay
06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
:) :) :) :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :) :) :cool: :cool:

INSman
06-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Better just to leave them a key :cool:

AZJD
06-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I will still bet it is sand or weeds in the exchange. I don't get why all the others did not agree with my previous post. Now I can't wait to hear!!
Because we all want to be right too!!! :yuk: :) :) :) :) :) :)
I am trying to get $40 out of Kilr.

Kilrtoy
06-26-2006, 10:47 PM
I won't take that bet!
I will go $40 on the engine oil?
No, because he still got up to 3,000 rpms

purrfecttremor
06-27-2006, 03:30 AM
My 1st impeller went out at 32 hours.The book says 100 hours! WTF !!!!!!!

INSman
06-27-2006, 03:41 AM
Gotta' keep the boat off the sandbars at WOT !!! :idea: :D

purrfecttremor
06-27-2006, 05:13 AM
No shiat!! :cry:

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-27-2006, 05:21 AM
Because we all want to be right too!!! :yuk: :) :) :) :) :) :)
I am trying to get $40 out of Kilr.
OH YA, Sorry, I forget I am an ASS sometimes. LOL!

voodoomedman
06-27-2006, 06:01 AM
Thank You! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
It was a good idea anyway as our published air rates are significantly lower. Next time if you want to save some money though and can wait another day ground is only two days from So Cal to Havasu. So Cal to So Cal is next day ground just end of day and not 10:30 am.

ultra27jay
06-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Thank You! :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:
It was a good idea anyway as our published air rates are significantly lower. Next time if you want to save some money though and can wait another day ground is only two days from So Cal to Havasu. So Cal to So Cal is next day ground just end of day and not 10:30 am.
thanks for your input.... :rollside:

AZJD
06-27-2006, 01:01 PM
Show me the money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :220v:

phebus
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
So, what was the verdict?

INSman
06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
So, what was the verdict?
The verdict is that Aaron and Brian are hard at work on my boat and cannot be disturbed :cool:
A bit of wishful thinking, but hey, ya' gotta' dream !!

shadow
06-27-2006, 02:06 PM
The verdict is that Aaron and Brian are hard at work on my boat and cannot be disturbed :cool:
A bit of wishful thinking, but hey, ya' gotta' dream !!
The verdict is, We just met at the Turtle for lunch.Me Aaron & Brian.
Pretty sure there aint gonna be much getting done this afternoon! :crossx: :rollside:

INSman
06-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Pretty sure there aint gonna be much getting done this afternoon! :crossx: :rollside:
You are nothin' but trouble my friend :boxingguy :D

phebus
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
That leaves Matt, hard at work :rollside:

Second "PLACE"
06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Neither can I. Is the jury still out on this?

AZJD
06-27-2006, 05:30 PM
The suspense is killing me....I won't be able to sleep 2nite! :)

Havasu1986
06-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Does a 502 motor have this exchange thinggy you guys are talking about. What would I look for to avoid frying my impellor. A couple years ago we were coming back from Moabi and all of a sudden my buddy who is one of O.C.F.A. finest smelled smoke and we had to be towed in from the sandbar. Small part cost me over $500 to replace hoses etc.

Beer-30
06-27-2006, 05:39 PM
Were they driving the piss out of a Lifesaver colored Shockwave with twins?

Kilrtoy
06-27-2006, 05:45 PM
The suspense is killing me....I won't be able to sleep 2nite! :)
why is the wallet feeling light

INSman
06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Were they driving the piss out of a Lifesaver colored Shockwave with twins?
Tough job but someone has to do it !! :cool:

shadow
06-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Tough job but someone has to do it !! :cool:
Tough job cause it would take oars right now. :crossx: ouch!sorry Blaine couldn't resist. Hope the repairs are going well.

INSman
06-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Tough job cause it would take oars right now. :crossx: ouch!sorry Blaine couldn't resist. Hope the repairs are going well.
Should have never happened and we will be BETTER than new in a day or so. Want to try and keep up with me again ??!!?? :2purples: :D

AZJD
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
why is the wallet feeling light
Yep, it's a 4 day weekend..........and I am sure gas will spike on thursday!

AZJD
06-27-2006, 06:40 PM
Does a 502 motor have this exchange thinggy you guys are talking about. What would I look for to avoid frying my impellor. A couple years ago we were coming back from Moabi and all of a sudden my buddy who is one of O.C.F.A. finest smelled smoke and we had to be towed in from the sandbar. Small part cost me over $500 to replace hoses etc.
It's a heat exchanger. It's basically a closed cooling system. Water is brought in from the lake or ocean to cool the closed system fluid through baffles and such. I keeps the dirty water from entering your engine and keeps it from causing corosion, and or from bringing all the crap from our lakes into the engine, like sand, weeds, sticks, and stones... It's a big can looking thing usually on the front of your engine above the belt....
Not sure on your engine...Is it Merc power?
Can anyone else fill in for my inadequacies?

shadow
06-27-2006, 06:44 PM
Want to try and keep up with me again ??!!?? :2purples: :D
Today = Yes :crossx:
Tomorrow = NO :)

Havasu1986
06-27-2006, 06:49 PM
It's a heat exchanger. It's basically a closed cooling system. Water is brought in from the lake or ocean to cool the closed system fluid through baffles and such. I keeps the dirty water from entering your engine and keeps it from causing corosion, and or from bringing all the crap from our lakes into the engine, like sand, weeds, sticks, and stones... It's a big can looking thing usually on the front of your engine above the belt....
Not sure on your engine...Is it Merc power?
Can anyone else fill in for my inadequacies?It is a Merc, no inadequacies, Know more than me and I've had it new since 98

AZJD
06-27-2006, 06:57 PM
It is a Merc, no inadequacies, Know more than me and I've had it new since 98
I haven't researched it so don't hold me to the fire....but I don not think it has a heat exchanger on it...too old! I could totally be wrong though.
Somebody help the un-knowing here if I am wrong!

INSman
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
Today = Yes :crossx:
Tomorrow = NO :)
Good answer grasshopper ;)

dicudmore
06-27-2006, 06:59 PM
I haven't researched it so don't hold me to the fire....but I don not think it has a heat exchanger on it...too old! I could totally be wrong though.
correct, its raw water cooled not closed-cooling

Havasu1986
06-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Where's Jordy I hear he knows everything :boxed: :boxed:

dicudmore
06-27-2006, 07:01 PM
Should have never happened and we will be BETTER than new in a day or so. Want to try and keep up with me again ??!!?? :2purples: :D
BRING IT ON...ANYTIME :cool:
your boat has a built in MPH governor on it named Robin

Beer-30
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
As far as I know, none of the 502s were closed cooling. 496s, 525HP, on up are all closed, I do believe. I have not seen a factory closed cooling 454 or 502 from Merc.
The "sea" water is ran AROUND some tubes inside the exchanger. INSIDE of the tubes is anti-freeze/coolant. All the engine ever sees is the coolant. The seapump, exchanger housing, and exhaust see the "raw" water. It's just a water/water radiator instead of air/water in a normal car/truck.

Beer-30
06-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Oh DAMMIT!

INSman
06-27-2006, 07:05 PM
BRING IT ON...ANYTIME :cool:
Open the wallet, Robin says "Hit It" !!!! :)

dicudmore
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Oh DAMMIT!
what I can't figure out is that was supposed to be very small text size yet it made it bold instead :220v: damn boards...
besides, its common knowledge that his 1200HP (give or take) will run away from my 500 :p

dicudmore
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
refer to post 103, we know its all in good fun...
I am up for a liesurely run to the springs or just about anywhere else next time you guys are in town??

dicudmore
06-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I just did...its empty :mad:

INSman
06-27-2006, 07:13 PM
what I can't figure out is that was supposed to be very small text size yet it made it bold instead :220v: damn boards...
besides, its common knowledge that his 1200HP (give or take) will run away from my 500 :p
1200 dyno, NOT 1200 prop shaft, so I would say maybe walk away but in no way RUN away :cool:

Beer-30
06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Well, you would both RUN away from me by about 20+ mph, so nyaaaa.

purrfecttremor
06-28-2006, 10:43 AM
WTF What was the verdict? Now im not going to be able to sleep tonight! I still vote for impeller.

sigepmock
06-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah what's the deal????

AZJD
06-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Didn't anyone call Absolute Speed and let them know there was a laundry list of people waiting eagerly........ Maybe someone should so they get this boat fixed and look like heros. :)

Just Tool'n
06-28-2006, 08:14 PM
Come on guy's after reading now for 20 minutes, & no closure! WTF.
We need to know, tommorrow is Marine World in Vallejo with the kids, dont make me drive 3 hours thinking about this problem!

HavasuSelect
06-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I must say, I'm pretty freakin curious too. I just want to see who wins the bet.

ultra27jay
06-28-2006, 09:31 PM
u guys are killing me so funny.......i talked to brian and he said he did not have room till thursday mid morning to get it in the shop.so hopefully shadow can do me a favor and go and get my boat at some point and get this resloved.....thanks for all the concern and trust me its killing me 2... :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :cry: i just want my boat fixed for this weekend....

Phat Matt
06-28-2006, 10:17 PM
u guys are killing me so funny.......i talked to brian and he said he did not have room till thursday mid morning to get it in the shop.so hopefully shadow can do me a favor and go and get my boat at some point and get this resloved.....thanks for all the concern and trust me its killing me 2... :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :220v: :cry: i just want my boat fixed for this weekend....
If it doesn't get fixed you can just idle to the channel and park it. Just make sure you have gas for the genny. :)

ultra27jay
06-28-2006, 10:22 PM
If it doesn't get fixed you can just idle to the channel and park it. Just make sure you have gas for the genny. :)
THATS A GOOD IDEa....but if i get there on friday night im going to flush the heat exchanger and put in a new impeller and go from there. so lets keep the fingers crossed :crossx:

INSman
06-28-2006, 10:37 PM
THATS A GOOD IDEa....but if i get there on friday night im going to flush the heat exchanger and put in a new impeller and go from there. so lets keep the fingers crossed :crossx:
Brian will get you all finished and back on the water for this weekend, but all kidding aside, he is in the middle of finishing my boat but should be done sometime tomorrow.

Kilrtoy
06-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Brian will get you all finished and back on the water for this weekend, but all kidding aside, he is in the middle of finishing my boat but should be done sometime tomorrow.
This is the main reason everyone is in line at this shop :boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed:

INSman
06-29-2006, 10:24 AM
This is the main reason everyone is in line at this shop :boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed: :boxed:
I don't know about the MAIN reason, but certainly A reason :cool:

Cole Trickle
06-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Are you upgrading again or resolving a rocker issue?
Would it have been cheaper to go with the 625 Ilmors when all is said and done?

Kilrtoy
06-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Blaine you know im teasing you, I really wish your boat was out on the water every weekend

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Hey if you guys had a shop (and me included), and there was a nice guy spending $200,000 on a Shockwave, you'd be moving him to the front also!

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Are you saying he should rename the boat to "I COULD'A HAD ILMORS!!!" ?

Cole Trickle
06-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Are you saying he should rename the boat to "I COULD'A HAD ILMORS!!!" ?
Blaines boat is down right awesome. I think the purple mosters look great and have that heavy boat running pretty close to mid 90's. I was just wondering if the cost justified the work to get where he is?(Pretty sure he is still under the Illmor price by a bit since he started with standard 496's)

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Blaines boat is down right awesome. I think the purple mosters look great and have that heavy boat running pretty close to mid 90's. I was just wondering if the cost justified the work to get where he is?(Pretty sure he is still under the Illmor price by a bit since he started with standard 496's)
I was joking to lighten things up for him.

Cole Trickle
06-29-2006, 11:21 AM
I was joking to lighten things up for him.
If I had Blaines money I would burn mine;) :crossx:
I know my boat is slow and I am OK with it:D :rollside:
I would like that new 30' Magic cat with twin 525's!!! Open bow please;)

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 11:23 AM
If I had Blaines money I would burn mine;) :crossx:
I know my boat is slow and I am OK with it:D :rollside:
I would like that new 30' Magic cat with twin 525's!!! Open bow please;)
Then you might as well join Baller and order up a 30' Magic Deck with the 525s. More place for the ladies to dance :wink:

INSman
06-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Blaine you know im teasing you, I really wish your boat was out on the water every weekend
Oh I know, I don't take anything here on ***boat very seriously.
Brian just called and said she is all done, so we will be back on the water manana !! :cool:

INSman
06-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Rocker issue, will the the first and last with how we are addressing the repair.
Believe it or not, NO.. I got a great deal on the motors and if I had to price out what I paid and had to add drives back to package the Ilmors properly, I would have been in to deep to ever recover on a resale position.

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Rocker issue, will the the first and last with how we are addressing the repair.
Poly locks------there is no substitute.

Cole Trickle
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM
Believe it or not, NO.. I got a great deal on the motors and if I had to price out what I paid and had to add drives back to package the Ilmors properly, I would have been in to deep to ever recover on a resale position.
Thats what I was thinking. i know you got hooked up because the family boating article. :)
What would you do today if you had to pay retail for the Raylar/Header combo?

BajaMike
06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
I had a problem with my boat on sat. the boat has a stock 496ho. And at about 4500 rpms just when u try to plain out it looses all power and the buzzers go off. I think it goes into guardian mode. All the gauges look fine and it has plenty of oil. Any ideas. i had to drive it back from topock to the marina on sat at 3000 rps no plaining and pushing water it sucked. so sorry if i got in anyones way i was making a pretty good size wake, but at least i made it back under my own power any ideas and might i add its still under factory warr. who in havasu in mercury authorized any help thanks. :cry:
I don't want to read the whole thing...can u summarize?
What was the problem?
Was it fixed?
Who fixed it?
How much did it cost?
How long were you down?
Thanks!
:rollside:

INSman
06-29-2006, 12:57 PM
Poly locks------there is no substitute.
DING DING, we have a winner !!! :rollside:

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 01:07 PM
What was the problem?
Was it fixed?
Who fixed it?
How much did it cost?
How long were you down?
Thanks!
A broken rocker stud or two.
Yes. Poly-locks machined and installed, replacing faulty pieces.
Absolute Speed & Marine. The best money can hire.
A shit load.
As long as it took.
:)

BajaMike
06-29-2006, 01:10 PM
A broken rocker stud or two.
Yes. Poly-locks machined and installed, replacing faulty pieces.
Absolute Speed & Marine. The best money can hire.
A shit load.
As long as it took.
:)
Ouch....sorry to hear that!!
Anyone else have that happen on a 496HO??? Anyone know the cause?
:confused:

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Ouch....sorry to hear that!!
Anyone else have that happen on a 496HO??? Anyone know the cause?
:confused:
WEll, this was on a Raylar 600 motor. He has two of them in his Magnatude. This is a common problem, Raylar had a good idea and good intentions, but physics, pressures, and amounts of motion fought back.
Yes, HOs have been known to lose a rocker or two. Rare, though, in stock form.

INSman
06-29-2006, 02:33 PM
WEll, this was on a Raylar 600 motor. He has two of them in his Magnatude. This is a common problem, Raylar had a good idea and good intentions, but physics, pressures, and amounts of motion fought back.
Yes, HOs have been known to lose a rocker or two. Rare, though, in stock form.
Not costing me anything to get fixed, other than the cost of the upgraded parts.
For the record, I had a bone stock Merc 496 lose a rod within the first 30 hours of use, so it can happen to pretty much anyone on just about any motor. Just the nature of boating or the definition as I understand it
B ring
O ut
A nother
T housand :yuk:

AZJD
06-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Not costing me anything to get fixed, other than the cost of the upgraded parts.
For the record, I had a bone stock Merc 496 lose a rod within the first 30 hours of use, so it can happen to pretty much anyone on just about any motor. Just the nature of boating or the definition as I understand it
B ring
O ut
A nother
T housand :yuk:
I prefer Bust Out Another Thousand!!!!! It gets the point of your frustration across a little better! :)

Jesster
08-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I was going thru old subed threads and this one was never finished. What was the problem ultra27jay?

ultra27jay
08-28-2006, 09:53 AM
Well lets put this to rest! it was the impeller. ablolute marine did a great job. he did not pick up my boat till the friday befour july 4th, so 250.00 bucks later i was back on the water sat morning. A BIG THANKS goes out to SHADOW for hooking me up with absolute marine thoes guys are the BEST.... :) :) :) :)

ultra27jay
08-28-2006, 09:58 AM
What was the problem?
Was it fixed?
Who fixed it?
How much did it cost?
How long were you down?
Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well lets put this to rest! it was the impeller. ablolute marine did a great job. he did not pick up my boat till the friday befour july 4th, so 250.00 bucks later i was back on the water sat morning. A BIG THANKS goes out to SHADOW for hooking me up with absolute marine thoes guys are the BEST....