PDA

View Full Version : Testing A Home For Health Hazards?

HocusPocus
06-25-2006, 07:40 PM
Is there someone on the boards or does anyone know of a company in So Cal, that can test a home to see what sort of health hazards may be present? lead, radon, mold, etc..etc.
i would prefer a personal referral from someone rather then just going thru a phone book or internet search. My oldest daughter (16) has some health issues and we are just trying to eliminate things as possible problems.
thanks for any help.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-25-2006, 08:33 PM
If it's Alergies, ya start with indoor house plants and their potting soil, the number one culprit.
Is the A/C evaporator drain pan and line clean and draining properly and it's airway clean both supply ducts air in and return to the house unit. All kinds of stuff can grow in there.
Any exposed spun fiberglass in the airways?? That's our next Asbestos.
Are you using a swamp cooler anyplace? They can get ya sick,, I get real sick around them no matter how clean they are.
Are you cleaning lots of sticky residue from Natural Gas (not cooking grease) on the walls and appliances & vent hood in the kitchen?
It's Methane and Ethane that's in the homes air and that'll get a kid real sick real quick.
These are the biggest contributers to bad indoor air quality, and what usually gets people sick.
Lead paint is a long shot.
Beware, Radon is a huge scam.
Seen lots of people ripped off deluxe on this dealio.
I'm licensed Haz Mat Supervisor with just about every advanced license you can imagine from Asbestos to Molds to lead, radon ect.
I testify for fraud with several agencies, and work with it in the Air Conditioning biz.
Most people in this detection biz are crooked. Radon the worst.
Very few honest companies out there.

HocusPocus
06-25-2006, 09:20 PM
thanks for the info.. its the rip off part that i am trying to avoid.. i don't want someone trying to scare me into costly repairs or fixes. the problem is more serious then allergies but i wont go into all the details here. i am just hoping to get an "honest" test done, if possible. :)
our house was built in the late 70's and we have owned it for the last 9 years.

YeLLowBoaT
06-25-2006, 09:50 PM
Somthing else to check out is agracultrual products( IE farm, guy accross the street using 10x to much) My mother lives with me, she has a very bad breathing prob.( had to retire from the state. She got sick from somthing in the A/C units) Those by far are what makes her condtion worse. For example if we get out of sacramento and get away from farms. She can go off of many Rx that she needs to breath in sacramento. Even something 20 miles away can drasticly effect her.
as far as Asbestos.. I use to work as a formen for a removel company. I kid you not the readings for on the street of down town Sac where several times higher then what osha said was "safe". So if you live in a area with alot of stuff built 30+ years agom no matter what you do too your house you will still be exposed.

HocusPocus
06-26-2006, 07:44 AM
thanks again for the replies i really appreciate it.