PDA

View Full Version : Save Speed Alley!!!

DUCKY
06-25-2006, 09:55 PM
My trip north of Havasu today exposed the fact that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (whom oversees the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge) has made all areas of the river from the north end of Lake Havasu to I-40, except the main channel, a no wake zone. This includes our beloved speed alley, which was the only place in Havasu where you could run a small boat at high speed safely. They have also added new areas that are "no PWC". A conversation with a USFWS officer revealed that "they feel the boat wakes are negatively affecting the ecosystem, and the shoreline, and disrupting the wildlife" Although I agree with some of the "no PWC" areas (since their operators often end up in places where they don't belong), the truth of the matter is that the small boats we all own don't make enough of a wake to do damage, especially at high speed, and these areas are far too shallow for the large boats that will do damage. When are we going to stand up and tell these tree hugging morons that WE COME FIRST! We are Humans, the only cognitive, intelligent life on the planet, these are OUR recreational areas, and we need to stop allowing our government to punish the masses of responsible people for the actions of a few idiots. The governments at every level are taking small bites out of our freedom on a daily basis and it needs to end now. I think a few phone calls and letters from we Hot Boaters to the local USFWS office (and maybe even a petition) should do the trick.
Here is the info...
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Havasu National Wildlife Refuge
317 Mesquite Ave.
Needles, CA 92363-2649
(760) 326-3853

Wicked Performance Boats
06-26-2006, 04:12 AM
What he said!!!! BL

STV_Keith
06-26-2006, 08:44 AM
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Havasu National Wildlife Refuge
317 Mesquite Ave.
Needles, CA 92363-2649
(760) 326-3853
Extension 22 is the Wildlife Manager
Extension 26 is the Wildlife Officer
I was instruction to contact one of those two. I will try to get to both. The Manager is in a meeting currently, and the Officer is on the phone. I will keep trying though.

DUCKY
06-26-2006, 04:27 PM
I was told the same, lets keep trying....

DUCKY
07-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Sorry I haven't been around, my PC was broken. Anyways, I spoke with the Refuge Manager, John Earle a few days ago. He said he appreciated the way I was going about this and If I sent him a letter and/or petition the he would give it proper attention. However, he also made it clear to me that recreation is not one of the priorities of the USFWS or the Refuge. I am confident that if we go about this right, we may be able to regain some restricted wake speed use of the area. In the next couple of days I will be working on a petition and letter to send him. I will drop copies off at Conquest Boats (just because Keith is a fellow v-driver), Lakeland Marine, and Cellular Warehouse, as well as having them available at my shop. I feel the key here is to start sending this guy letters, but not to be overbearing with the wording (in other words, let's not bitch him out). Lets just state the facts and attempt to work out a reasonable solution that works for everyone. A few of the key points in my presentation will be as follows;
> The "speed alley" area is not "backwater" due to the fact that you can drive straight there from the lake along the Arizona side when the water level is up.
> The shoreline along the channel on the Arizona side is not negatively affected by wake speeds, due to the fact that this area is virtually inaccessable to boats greater that 21' in length, and the shoreline is mainly rocky in that area anyways.
> We support the no wake zone ruling in the real "back water" areas where the water does not circulate (like the lagoon to the west of speed alley, and the "toolie tracks" made by the PWC crowd)
> We support most of the "no PWC" ruling because often their operators find themselves in the "backwaters", but the channel along the AZ side should be open to all to about 500 yds past speed alley, where the area was already N no PWC. I will provide basic maps and even offer to ride with the officer to show him the specific areas we would like reopened, and which ones we agree should be closed off.
If you guys have any more points you feel should be added, please post them, or call me with them.
Thanks,
Scott