PDA

View Full Version : Save Speed Alley!!!

DUCKY
06-25-2006, 09:56 PM
My trip north of Havasu today exposed the fact that the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (whom oversees the Havasu National Wildlife Refuge) has made all areas of the river from the north end of Lake Havasu to I-40, except the main channel, a no wake zone. This includes our beloved speed alley, which was the only place in Havasu where you could run a small boat at high speed safely. They have also added new areas that are "no PWC". A conversation with a USFWS officer revealed that "they feel the boat wakes are negatively affecting the ecosystem, and the shoreline, and disrupting the wildlife" Although I agree with some of the "no PWC" areas (since their operators often end up in places where they don't belong), the truth of the matter is that the small boats we all own don't make enough of a wake to do damage, especially at high speed, and these areas are far too shallow for the large boats that will do damage. When are we going to stand up and tell these tree hugging morons that WE COME FIRST! We are Humans, the only cognitive, intelligent life on the planet, these are OUR recreational areas, and we need to stop allowing our government to punish the masses of responsible people for the actions of a few idiots. The governments at every level are taking small bites out of our freedom on a daily basis and it needs to end now. I think a few phone calls and letters from we Hot Boaters to the local USFWS office (and maybe even a petition) should do the trick.
Here is the info...
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
Havasu National Wildlife Refuge
317 Mesquite Ave.
Needles, CA 92363-2649
(760) 326-3853

You Te
06-26-2006, 06:25 AM
Fuuck the eco system, fuuck the animals, fuuck the tree huggers.
I guess when the river runs real high it effects the eco system.
I guess building a dam does not effect the eco system.
I wonder how the ice age melted without global warming?
I doubt writting letters will help but I will.

Towndrunk
06-26-2006, 07:07 AM
Writing all the letters in the world won't help. It's them f uckin cops getting their way again. More tickets more money for the city-county and gives them pricks job security.
Blame the assholes that run them fast 80' cats. Blame the wetbacks. Hell blame anybody but you'll never change the system. The hippies of the 60's and 70's had more balls to get things changed than all the so called baby boomers children. Sad but true. Kinda wish I had died in Nam. This country is pitiful and nothing like the one I fought for.

DUCKY
06-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Writing all the letters in the world won't help. It's them f uckin cops getting their way again. More tickets more money for the city-county and gives them pricks job security.
Blame the assholes that run them fast 80' cats. Blame the wetbacks. Hell blame anybody but you'll never change the system. The hippies of the 60's and 70's had more balls to get things changed than all the so called baby boomers children. Sad but true. Kinda wish I had died in Nam. This country is pitiful and nothing like the one I fought for.
Ron, As much as I understand how you feel, it's commonly the attitude that "we can't change anything" that allows them to continue taking our freedoms. I beleive a wise man one said that "all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing".
Unfortunately, the same man also said that when you put a rooster in the freezer you pull out a stiff cock, which killed his credability :idea: Just kidding!!!

Towndrunk
06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Yeah. The same thing with illegal immagrants. I am a member of the minuteman org and I tell you our government fights us like we are the criminals because we patrol the border doing what the f_uckin government should have been doing for the last 20 years. The border patrol even goes so far as to tell the mex government where we are patrolling so they can avoid us! Now isn't that the s_hits?? Who the f_uck does this country belong to anyway? Hasta la taco, I guess. :yuk:

whiteworks
06-27-2006, 09:42 PM
so if your flying through there and you dont throw a wake does that count as a no no?

MAXIMUS
06-30-2006, 01:54 PM
Fuuck the eco system, fuuck the animals, fuuck the tree huggers.
I guess when the river runs real high it effects the eco system.
I guess building a dam does not effect the eco system.
I wonder how the ice age melted without global warming?
I doubt writting letters will help but I will.
So angry??? Need one of hansons pills??? You need to take some time off & go on a weekend retreat!

Second "PLACE"
06-30-2006, 02:35 PM
True-Sitting and complaining will accomplish nothing, nor will the negative attitude. We must stand up and make our voices heard through various means to fight this. But one MUST get involved !
I have spent considerable time fighting land closure issues for my love of off-road racing/riding thru CORVA. (Califirnia Off Road Vehicle Assn.) If it is a worthy cause to you it is your best interest to get involved.
Example: There are over 1 million registered "green sticker" vehicles in the state that use public land to ride, yet only about 1,000 activists make up various groups opposing public land closures...ie CORVA, Blue Ribbon coalition etc.
Unless we get involved, our kids will have nowhere to play.

You Te
06-30-2006, 02:46 PM
So angry??? Need one of hansons pills??? You need to take some time off & go on a weekend retreat!
Anger is the best motivator, you slap jaw faggot.

DUCKY
07-03-2006, 04:39 PM
Sorry I haven't been around, my PC was broken. Anyways, I spoke with the Refuge Manager, John Earle a few days ago. He said he appreciated the way I was going about this and If I sent him a letter and/or petition the he would give it proper attention. However, he also made it clear to me that recreation is not one of the priorities of the USFWS or the Refuge. I am confident that if we go about this right, we may be able to regain some restricted wake speed use of the area. In the next couple of days I will be working on a petition and letter to send him. I will drop copies off at Conquest Boats (just because Keith is a fellow v-driver), Lakeland Marine, and Cellular Warehouse, as well as having them available at my shop. I feel the key here is to start sending this guy letters, but not to be overbearing with the wording (in other words, let's not bitch him out). Lets just state the facts and attempt to work out a reasonable solution that works for everyone. A few of the key points in my presentation will be as follows;
> The "speed alley" area is not "backwater" due to the fact that you can drive straight there from the lake along the Arizona side when the water level is up.
> The shoreline along the channel on the Arizona side is not negatively affected by wake speeds, due to the fact that this area is virtually inaccessable to boats greater that 21' in length, and the shoreline is mainly rocky in that area anyways.
> We support the no wake zone ruling in the real "back water" areas where the water does not circulate (like the lagoon to the west of speed alley, and the "toolie tracks" made by the PWC crowd)
> We support most of the "no PWC" ruling because often their operators find themselves in the "backwaters", but the channel along the AZ side should be open to all to about 500 yds past speed alley, where the area was already N no PWC. I will provide basic maps and even offer to ride with the officer to show him the specific areas we would like reopened, and which ones we agree should be closed off.
If you guys have any more points you feel should be added, please post them, or call me with them.
Thanks,
Scott

You Te
07-03-2006, 05:44 PM
I talked to one of the local die-hard Havasu Speed Alley Boaters today.
I guess there is a comittee to save Speed Alley. He tells me there is some bird that is nesting there and that is one of the reasons. :confused: :confused:
My friend told me the guy has wanted to close Speed Alley for a long time and he is a little guy with a chip on his shoulder. I'll write a letter.

Towndrunk
07-03-2006, 06:34 PM
I'm a little guy witha chip on my shoulder too, if you call 196 lbs of MMF little. :crossx:

DUCKY
07-03-2006, 10:18 PM
I talked to one of the local die-hard Havasu Speed Alley Boaters today.
I guess there is a comittee to save Speed Alley. He tells me there is some bird that is nesting there and that is one of the reasons. :confused: :confused:
My friend told me the guy has wanted to close Speed Alley for a long time and he is a little guy with a chip on his shoulder. I'll write a letter.
Please PM and let me know who you talked to, or who is heading up the commitee, so we can try to join forces...
Thanks!

HavasuBarney
07-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Nice.
Good to see you on the cause Ducky.
:)

Pro Max
07-10-2006, 08:44 PM
There out to destroy the fun of the River just like Glamis,,,,