PDA

View Full Version : Glass over treated plywood?

maxwedge
06-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Somebody told me a while back that the glass won't stick to the treated wood...true or false?
I'm helping a friend out with replacing a floor in his boat, he was told to use treated plywood, I know I have been told to either use regular or marine plywood coated with resin on both sides? Does it even matter?

Jbb
06-26-2006, 11:57 AM
You can use treated wood.....you have to buy it a few weeks prior to priming it and let it sit in the sun for a week or 2.....I have a buddie in Middle Florida that replaces rotted transoms and floors all the time...and that is all he uses...and he coats all sides with resin reduced 25% with acetone or styrene..

maxwedge
06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
so I would assume you could use treated 2x6's for stringers then too?

YeLLowBoaT
06-26-2006, 05:27 PM
I personally would not. Alot of coatings don't stick very well too it. Besides its really only "treated" about a 1/4 inch deep all the way around. Then there is the wood they use its crap. Just look for ether kiln dried or let it dry out for a long time.

maxwedge
06-26-2006, 06:57 PM
If you're covering it with glass and resin, there's no point to use treated.
That was kinda my thought too. I used birch plywood and #1 clear grade douglas fir 2x6 when I did mine and I just covered them with resin and mat and cloth. All the treated plywood looks terrible to me, warped and seperating all over the place right off the shelf with tons of voids in it, but it does have the advantage of being cheaper I guess. I suppose since it's not my boat and it's just a little 16' runabout that will probably never see 40MPH, I should probably just let him use whatever he wants and not argue about the proper method lol. :rolleyes: