PDA

View Full Version : Running Problem...NEED HELP

Mr. Crusader 83
01-06-2006, 10:25 AM
Hey Guys Need A Little Help Here.
I Have A 454 With Msd, 6a Ignition, Holley 650cfm, All New,
So Last Weekend I Was Out In Havasu. Launched Now Problem Fired Right Up. Went Out Past The No Wake. Jumped On It, Still No Problem, Then The Fun Began. Kept Dieing, Pump The Gas 2 Times, And It Would Fire Up, No Problems, Go To Give It Gas, To Come Up On Plane. And It Dies.
New Fuel, From Ampm 91 Oct.
Any Help Would Be Great.
Thanks Guys

Sleek-Jet
01-06-2006, 10:43 AM
I'm having the exact same problem... I'm running an HEI, no box... I think mine is because of the fuel pump.
What kind of pump are you running?? Mech, electric??

Tim_T
01-06-2006, 11:16 AM
I had the same problem with mine. It ended up being the pet cock for the fuel tanks. There was a piece of the o-ring stuck in the T. It would start and idle fine but when i hit the gas it just died. Just my .02. Hope this helps.

IMPATIENT 1
01-06-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey Guys Need A Little Help Here.
I Have A 454 With Msd, 6a Ignition, Holley 650cfm, All New,
So Last Weekend I Was Out In Havasu. Launched Now Problem Fired Right Up. Went Out Past The No Wake. Jumped On It, Still No Problem, Then The Fun Began. Kept Dieing, Pump The Gas 2 Times, And It Would Fire Up, No Problems, Go To Give It Gas, To Come Up On Plane. And It Dies.
New Fuel, From Ampm 91 Oct.
Any Help Would Be Great.
Thanks Guys
are your filters ok?do you have a water/fuel sperator? sounds like water but if ya have a seperator it wouldn't be. check the msd for a ground failure. msd 6a's have a problem with the heavy black ground circuit breaking the solder at the board,easy fix,just pop off the back cover and resolder.fill in some blanks so we can help alittle more.

Mr. Crusader 83
01-06-2006, 11:27 AM
See I Ran It On The Trailer Before I Went On The Water And It Ran Fine. Revd Idel You Name It.
Mech. Fuel Pump.
After I Was On The Water Is When It All Started.
Now When Its On The Trailer And I Rev It Up It Dies Also.
And It Idels Like Shit In The Water And On The Trailer.

IMPATIENT 1
01-06-2006, 11:29 AM
See I Ran It On The Trailer Before I Went On The Water And It Ran Fine. Revd Idel You Name It.
Mech. Fuel Pump.
After I Was On The Water Is When It All Started.
Now When Its On The Trailer And I Rev It Up It Dies Also.
And It Idels Like Shit In The Water And On The Trailer.
is it hard to start?do you have to pump the shit outta it to get it to fire up?

Mr. Crusader 83
01-06-2006, 11:33 AM
WHEN I STARTED IT THE FIRST TIME AFTER 3 MONTHS OF SITTING I HAD TO PUMP IT FOR AWHILE.
BUT I ALWAYS DO WHEN IT SITS. BUT THEN IT NORMALLY FIRES RIGHT UP.
NOW ITS A LITTLE HARDER THEN THE NORM TO START.
BUT IT IDELS LIKE SHIT WONT REV, IT POPS AND DIES.
LETS TAKE OLD YELLER OUT BACK AND SHOOT HER.... SHES :cry: DONE

wright27
01-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I had the same problem with my boat. It ran fine then started running just like yours and eventually would not even start. It turned out to be a ground failure in the distributor, it fried my coil. Fixed the ground bought a new coil and all is good again.

BLOWN JOB
01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Check Fuel Presure First It Sounds Like A Fuel Pump

beerjet
01-06-2006, 01:42 PM
sounds like a fuel system problem to me and I've had my share. Now my electrical issue resulted in it not firein at all , but hey thats just me

Mr. Crusader 83
01-06-2006, 03:02 PM
I Have Plenty Of Fire. Zapped The Shit Out Of Me.... Im Thinking Fuel Pump And New Fuel Strainer. From What You Guys Have Told Me...
Thanks For Your Help

Mr. Crusader 83
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
After I Fix It......
Anyone Want To Buy It????

boater012
01-06-2006, 06:40 PM
From what your describing it sounds fuel related. If its been sitting awhile do a compression test just to be on the safe side. 454's are known to have valve springs go weak after a period of time. check to make sure you are getting spark at ALL the cylinders and not just at the coil. my dos pennies

Red Rocket
01-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Does it have a water seperator? Check for a little water in the float bowls.

BrendellaJet
01-06-2006, 07:05 PM
From what your describing it sounds fuel related. If its been sitting awhile do a compression test just to be on the safe side. 454's are known to have valve springs go weak after a period of time. check to make sure you are getting spark at ALL the cylinders and not just at the coil. my dos pennies
Just curious why 454's in particular would have the springs go bad after sitting. Aren't they all made with the same sh!t?

bradbigsley
01-06-2006, 07:18 PM
It sounds like water in the fuel to me.. i had the same problem begining of last season. it ran great with no load.. soon as i got on it bla bla poof. i forgot to replace my water seperator.. do you have one?

Boatcop
01-06-2006, 07:22 PM
Sounds identical to a problem I had, but on a 455.
I ended up replacing all fuel lines, carb inlet filter, dumping the cannister filter for a spin-on separator, and new directional valves.
The boat had been garaged for a number of years, so I figured it would be better safe than sorry, and replaced everything.
Haven't had a problem since.

Mr. Crusader 83
01-07-2006, 09:21 AM
yes i have a water sep. i replaced it the end of last year. the boat sat outside so far this winter. i put it back in garage last weekend
i think im going to check the float bowls and replace the water sep and fuel lines. maybe a new mech fuel pump and i will see where im at from there.
you guys are geat ...
thanks alot

fleetimus
01-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I had a similar problem and it ended up being crap in the tank. It would idle fine but when I went for more it would clog the pick up. I installed 1/2" pick ups and cleaned the tanks. All good now.

atxwrangler
01-07-2006, 09:41 AM
my money is on a plugged fuel filter, probably no need to replace the lines,sounds like its starving for gas!

Tahiti350
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Let's start a little simpler, check to make sure you have an accelerator pump shot...
Look down the throttle bores and wing it to WOT (with the engine OFF, of course!!). If there is no fuel spray, or it just dribbles a little, then your accelerator pump is either plugged with crap, or the piston/diaphram is shot.
Quadrajets are prone to shrinking the pump piston seal and not working. Hit the throttle, and ba-ba-ba-ba-pop, extreme lean out and dies.
god luck, and why sell it once it's fixed???

Tahiti350
01-07-2006, 11:15 AM
Let's start a little simpler, check to make sure you have an accelerator pump shot...
Look down the throttle bores and wing it to WOT (with the engine OFF, of course!!). If there is no fuel spray, or it just dribbles a little, then your accelerator pump is either plugged with crap, or the piston/diaphram is shot.
Quadrajets are prone to shrinking the pump piston seal and not working. Hit the throttle, and ba-ba-ba-ba-pop, extreme lean out and dies.
good luck, and why sell it once it's fixed???

bp
01-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Just curious why 454's in particular would have the springs go bad after sitting. Aren't they all made with the same sh!t?
no.

Mr. Crusader 83
01-07-2006, 02:40 PM
good luck, and why sell it once it's fixed???
I WANT A BIGGER BOAT. I/O OR JET. SOMETHING OVER 20FT

Duane HTP
01-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Check for lack of fuel, check for water in fuel, check Ignition coil & coil wire or loose terminals at coil.