PDA

View Full Version : Pump blow out?

FLEA DIDDY
06-26-2006, 04:43 PM
How much hp/pressure do you think it would take to cause a suction housing to over pressure and crack? Is that even possible? I've heard of peeps blowing out the inspection hole covers thats why I ask. Also so there is no confusion I'm not talking about 1200hp and an aluminum impellor coming apart. I'm just wondering if pressure alone can cause a pump to fell. From what I can gather their should be no positive pressure on the intake side of the impellor correct?

78CoLe
06-26-2006, 06:16 PM
I got a presure gauge on my suction and on a v hull duane from htp said no more than 40 psi thats all the .02 I got

Rampager
06-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Suction housing can definatly go positive pressure at speed and in fact usually does in a high speed boat. Its the balance you have to fine tune so that the pump is not 'overloaded' and starts to revert. Reversion is when the water spills back out of the intake, makes the boat handle funny.
My guess is you won't get too many racers talking about this stuff on here. Thats just the impression Ive gotten when trying to discuss the high end pump "black magic". Unfortunatly from what Ive seen water starts doing funny things that may not necessarily be logical to your intuition especially at high speed and pump loading etc Ive seen some intake grates that look ultra inefficient that seem to work very well at high speed, weird
Cheers