PDA

View Full Version : Question for military people here.

Tremor Girl
06-27-2006, 06:59 AM
My Nephew has been given a medical discharge from the Marine Corps and is coming home tomorrow after being in boot camp since January 3. :yuk:
He was 5 days away from graduating when they discovered a stress fracture in his foot and made him rest for 6 weeks on base. After re evaluating him, they put him in another platoon and within a week he wound up with 3 stress fractures in the other foot and leg. They sent him for a bone scan but couldn't find anything wrong with his bones. Just the fractures. After 8 more weeks of rest and another evaluation, they decided to send him home.
Does anybody know if he is considered a veteran and if he's eligable for benefits of for disability?
We feel so bad for him. He is devastated and so embarrassed. The only way he wanted to leave there was as a Marine. Hopefully spending the next week in Havasu with us will help. He hasn't been off base in almost 7 months. :2purples: :2purples:
My husband is going down to pick him up. Any reccommmendations on things he should ask about his discharge?
Thanks guys for any help.

v-drive
06-27-2006, 07:04 AM
This goes back to the Vietnam era . I was in basic with a guy that had a fractured hip and he was given full benifits. I am certain things have changed but I don't know about these benifits....v-drive

emonstermp@hotmail.com
06-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I don't think he is eligible for benefits but I think he may be able to rejoin in 2 years. I didn't get in until 25 and still had an outstanding 6 years

DILLIGAF
06-27-2006, 07:09 AM
Happened to a younger brother of mineand he got screwed big time. They got him basically in a corner and had him sign some papers giving up his rights without any kind of advice or anything. He was very young and did what he was told.
Did he sign anything and if so exactly what did he sign?

Tremor Girl
06-27-2006, 07:12 AM
I have no idea if he's signed anything. He's only been allowed to call home 4 times for 5 min. each time. Knowing him, I'm sure if they told him "sign here", he did. He's so non confrontational. Oh well, I'm sure it'll all work out either way.

Tremor Girl
06-27-2006, 05:03 PM
We made one phone call, a week before we graduated. ;) I don't think he's eligible for benefits because before you graduate you are not considered an active duty Marine, you're a recruit. I think there's certain circumstances where they will provide medical benefit, if the injury was caused by the Marine Corps incompetence or negligence, but I really don't know.
I would call a VA dept and ask somebody that really knows.
Thanks for the advise Shockwave Bob. I guess we'll find out more tomorrow when he comes home. My Father in law has a case worker at the Long Beach VA. He'll be there Thurs. for his dialysis. I'll have him see what he can find out. Thanks again

Windy
06-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Good luck to him....I went through Navy boot camp a couple years ago and we lost several recruits due to injuries.
The Long Beach VA should be able to give you some answers.

Panic Button
06-28-2006, 06:31 AM
In the AF, no boot camp graduation, no veteran status...

Boatcop
06-28-2006, 08:31 AM
In order to be considered a Veteran, as far as the VA and benefits are concerned, you must have served 180 days on Active Duty.

Dave C
06-28-2006, 09:00 AM
hhhhhmmmmm do I detect another "double standard"
private employer = employee injured at "any time" gets workers comp benefits.
goverment employer = employee ONLY covered by workers comp AFTER reaching some sort of "status."
the government sucks...... :yuk:

Boatcop
06-28-2006, 09:10 AM
hhhhhmmmmm do I detect another "double standard"
private employer = employee injured at "any time" gets workers comp benefits.
goverment employer = employee ONLY covered by workers comp AFTER reaching some sort of "status."
the government sucks...... :yuk:
The Government will provide continuing medical care for the specific condition that resulted in the Medical Discharge. However, unless the 180 day threshold is met, there are no addditional benefits, or care for an unrelated medical issue.

Dave C
06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
got it... thats good!
The Government will provide continuing medical care for the specific condition that resulted in the Medical Discharge. However, unless the 180 day threshold is met, there are no addditional benefits, or care for an unrelated medical issue.