PDA

View Full Version : What deck is on this cruiser?

sintax
06-27-2006, 07:40 AM
I went and looked at a unknown 21 ft vdrive cruiser yesterday after work. The owner was trying to sell it as a spectra, but was not too sure exactly what it was. He said the hull was a 77, with the trailer dating 88 (not that it matters). When I got there I could not track down a HIN anywhere. It sure did not look like anything I've ever seen before.
I'm thinking its maybe a Howard w/ the whaler deck?
The odd parts are noted in the pics I took (sorry it was my camera phone :( )
http://virtualpimp.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/album21/Image047.jpg
The very rounded nose is interesting too.
http://virtualpimp.org/ipw-web/gallery/albums/album21/Image052.jpg

sintax
06-27-2006, 08:50 AM
I also appeared to visually have a higher deck (not the right word, i'm talking about where the portion that rises up off the deck to form the dash)
Maybe 1/3 bigger then any spectra i've seen before. The bottom also did not look like a standard spectra bottom. While I remember reading that the howards did use spectra bottom, this did not look like one of them.
The dead rise ( i think thats what its called ) that looked pretty close to what i've see spectras at. I'd assume 12-13*.

flat broke
06-27-2006, 10:08 AM
Post a pic of the whole boat and you might get some more help. It's hard to judge those pics without scale to the rest of the boat. Also do you have any pics of the rear of the deck?
Chris

sintax
06-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Post a pic of the whole boat and you might get some more help. It's hard to judge those pics without scale to the rest of the boat. Also do you have any pics of the rear of the deck?
Chris
I only took those two pics. I could swing by and take some more since it is on my way home from work. I'm not overly interested in the boat since i more or less have my heart set on a standard style spectra / howard or if I managed to find one, a redesigned 80's vintage howard.
The boat is pretty complete, its got a 454 w/ tunnel ram but is missing carbs behind a turbo 400. It has a casale 500, and I did not check the gearing. PM me if anyone wants the contact info on this boat. Its located in Yorba Linda.

Marty Gras
06-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Tahiti built a 21' like that. It did have a larger rise to the upper deck and had smaller strakes than a Spectra/Howard. Don't recognize the 'flair' at the dashboard.