PDA

View Full Version : Insurance on Deckboat

FunHome
06-27-2006, 09:00 AM
What is the going price for insurance on a performance deckboat?? Do they classify them as a deckboat or as a catamaran??? I have laways heard that insurance on Cat's is EXPENSIVE!!! And now I know of only one place that writes policies for cat's.....

MR HARLEY
06-27-2006, 09:01 AM
What is the going price for insurance on a performance deckboat?? Do they classify them as a deckboat or as a catamaran??? I have laways heard that insurance on Cat's is EXPENSIVE!!! And now I know of only one place that writes policies for cat's.....
Hi , Welcome aboard!
What size boat and what HP?

Phat Matt
06-27-2006, 09:22 AM
What he said.

Mike67rs
06-27-2006, 09:23 AM
If you keep it under 500hp, insurance is reasonable. Through Progressive, I pay about $750 a year for $500K coverage. You can do an online quote via their website.

FunHome
06-27-2006, 09:26 AM
Thanks!! I've been a lurker here for a while, but for some reason my computer use to have problems with this site. All seems fine now!! Some may reconize me from the other boards, but there aren't many performance deck boats anywhere but on here!!
Right now I'm still looking. I like the Conquest, Magic, Howards, Hallett's, etc. the motor I'd love to have is a 496HO with all the smartcraft goodies. I would like to find a used one, but I know the good ones go fast!!
Thanks in advance for everyones help!!
Brad
aka FunHome

bohica
06-27-2006, 10:16 AM
I'm paying $800/yr. thru Progressive on an 05 Conquest w/ 525.

riverracerx
06-27-2006, 10:21 AM
How about twin 496HO's? (Matt?) in a 30' http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/non-cgi/emoticons/ermm.gif

Phat Matt
06-27-2006, 10:41 AM
How about twin 496HO's? (Matt?) in a 30' http://riverracerx.com/images/mb2/non-cgi/emoticons/ermm.gif
I am at about $2400 per year no layup. I did originally have it set up for $970 per year paid in full, but they cancelled me after 3 months. :( They said their cut off was 70mph.

USCFAN
06-27-2006, 10:48 AM
I am at about $2400 per year no layup. I did originally have it set up for $970 per year paid in full, but they cancelled me after 3 months. :( They said their cut off was 70mph.
You should have told them it only went 69.9 miles an hour.. :crossx:

rlj676
06-27-2006, 11:00 AM
What are the companies that you guys are using? I know everyone says Markel for cat insurance, but they were telling me $2500 to $3500 for a 26 ft Daytona with an HO. That seems steep to me for a boat that does around 70, or how fast should I be thinking? They said their mph cutoff for what they considered high performance was 55 and I think for people that are way over it doesn't matter, but they price everything over 55 high. I think a 26 with an HO should be insurable for less than that and that's what I have heard on here.

CornWater
06-27-2006, 11:18 AM
What are the companies that you guys are using? I know everyone says Markel for cat insurance, but they were telling me $2500 to $3500 for a 26 ft Daytona with an HO. That seems steep to me for a boat that does around 70, or how fast should I be thinking? They said their mph cutoff for what they considered high performance was 55 and I think for people that are way over it doesn't matter, but they price everything over 55 high. I think a 26 with an HO should be insurable for less than that and that's what I have heard on here.
Call State Farm in Havasu.. I have a 26 Daytona with an HO and just wrote a check for $700 for the whole year. I did pay $2000 the first year I had it through Markel.

rlj676
06-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Call State Farm in Havasu.. I have a 26 Daytona with an HO and just wrote a check for $700 for the whole year. I did pay $2000 the first year I had it through Markel.
I was hoping someone like State Farm would cover cats that weren't too fast. Markel seems to want to much of a premium for covering the real fast cats and ask alot for normal speeds. Also, what is the max speed of a 26 Daytona with the HO. Thanks.

Bad Puddy Tat
06-27-2006, 03:37 PM
my wife can write cat's up to 26' and slower than 75 mph without going with Markel. If your interested give her a call at 928-505-2394.

rlj676
06-27-2006, 05:32 PM
my wife can write cat's up to 26' and slower than 75 mph without going with Markel. If your interested give her a call at 928-505-2394.
Thanks, but does she do states outside of Ca, or Az? I'd be looking for a quote for Michigan.

Hardly Satisfied
06-28-2006, 01:32 AM
welcome aboard , I pay about 750.00 a year with a 500hp

Jesster
06-29-2006, 09:42 AM
782.00 per year no layup on 28 Deck with HO through Proressisve 500/100/5. It would have been about 90.00 a year cheaper through State Farm but they charge about 100.00 (per year liability) for every extra driver added to the policy (People that drive it regularly the occasional drivers dont need to be added) and I needed to add 2. Progressive has no limit on drivers as long as they have a valid drivers lisence. Its a disapearing deductible and a replacement cost policy as well as roadside assistance for the trailer and the vehicle towing the trailer and 500.00 coverage for on the water towing and labor. They insure CA and AZ. Its through alternative ins in Corona. 951-737-5131

bunny 166
06-29-2006, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the boards! :boxed: We have a '96 Conquest with a 525 and pay about $1200/year. I think most will tell you the magic numbers are no more than 500hp, maximum 75 mph, and over 26' for a cat.... :p
Over 500 hp, 75mph, or shorter than 26', and you'll be paying alot.....Good luck! We love our Conquest and would highly recommend one... :rollside:

havasu5150
06-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Also paying about $700 on my Conquest. 496HO
Over 500 hp and the cost goes up exponentially.
Love our Conquest too!!!

BLOWN BUDGET
07-06-2006, 07:01 AM
You Can Find Reasonalbe Insurance But It Takes Alot Of Talking To Different Companies, Everyone Looks At Different Things. My '98 Conquest With A Blown 540 Runs $780/year Through State Farm

Premix Junky
07-24-2006, 03:54 PM
If you guys think Progressive or State Farm has your cat insured, think again. Deckboats, Cats tunnels, anything Non V hull, they Don't insure. Maybe a Pontoon boat with a 115 Merc is OK.
Ive called and asked......party cats, Magic deckboats, bla bla bla= no no no no no.
Just becasue the agent says sure......you better make sure and have an underwriter or someone see the boat becasue if you have a claim it will be denied.(Of course the agent will sell you a policy without actually telling them its a cat.
A buddy found out the hard way on his twin engine daytona. It was insured as a V-Hull, becasue of the center pod. He specifically told them it was a Tunnel Hull/Cat/had sponsons, etc. Agent said no problem. Agent wrote the policy for 700 bucks(3 grand cheaper than anywhere else=clue number 1 and wrote it up as a Vhull.)
His boat got hit(Not even in the water) Claim Denied

Dave C
07-25-2006, 07:34 AM
if thats true. thats fraud.
If the owner tells them its something its not the owner is liable.
if the agents tells them something its not that fraud. I would hire a lawyer and get the claim paid. Then report the agent to the Dept of Insurance.
Of course proving it is another story altogether :rollside: :rollside: :yuk:
A buddy found out the hard way on his twin engine daytona. It was insured as a V-Hull, becasue of the center pod. He specifically told them it was a Tunnel Hull/Cat/had sponsons, etc. Agent said no problem. Agent wrote the policy for 700 bucks(3 grand cheaper than anywhere else=clue number 1 and wrote it up as a Vhull.)
His boat got hit(Not even in the water) Claim Denied

bohica
07-25-2006, 08:43 AM
Just got my renewal from Progressive. My agent is Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine. In big bold letters right on the top of the renewal is printed:
2005 Conquest Top Cat 525 EFI.
500hp is the magic number for progressive, good thing their looking at propshaft hp, :rollside:

CornWater
07-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Just got my renewal from Progressive. My agent is Bob Luellen at Worldwide Marine. In big bold letters right on the top of the renewal is printed:
2005 Conquest Top Cat 525 EFI.
500hp is the magic number for progressive, good thing their looking at propshaft hp, :rollside:
How you like that Premix??? And I am through State Farm and they know exactly what kind of boat it is... It has gone through the underwriters, no problem.

Cat & Mice
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
I had Progressive and when my drives got stollen they tried everything to deny claim. They found Magizine articles and even tried to use post on this site to prove the boat was faster then I said on my contract.
Anyway I had to fight them for months before they paid the claim. :argue:
I will never go with prograssive ever again, they where complete a$$ munchers.
The only thing that saved me is that I had twins so they would allow 500hp each. When I bought the boat and got insurance that is all I had. After I blew one and upgraded I never called them to change the HP.
Anyway, You need to read everyline of the contract and don't believe your agent. If they can get out of paying a claim they will!!!!
MP

Mrs Bad Puddy Tat
07-30-2006, 04:37 PM
I have several areas that I can write deckboats. It all depends on length/horsepower. If you would like me to give you a quote. Please send a PM or call 928-505-2394 Kim

Wmc
07-31-2006, 01:57 PM
I pay $679/per year with Progressive, 496 HO, 2005 Magic Deckboat.

Insurance God
07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Markel is not the only player anymore. I have a new market that is making almost everyone happy. (I say almost everyone because some people have an old Markel policy that has been grandfathered in at a great rate.) My new market writes Cat's & V-hulls 26' and longer up to 120mph.
Yes, Deck Boats can be written into Progressive. I can help anyone with that also. As stated earlier, 500HP max for Progressive. Also, I recommend using an agent (even if it is not me) to get better service in the event of a claim. If you have a claim and you have an agent who writes policies for Progressive, they will want to keep you happy (in turn your agent) so more policies will be written with them. I have never had an issue with Progressive's claims going bad. Things do happen though with every company. (For those of you who go direct, you will & should get good service but it is nice having someone else call on your behalf etc.)