PDA

View Full Version : Ford 460.. Timing Chain Broke??

dm2bfree
06-27-2006, 01:07 PM
I have pretty much stock ford 460.. I had a problem with poking a hole in the oil pan because of Sh*tty motor mounts.. I pull the motor and put a 4 point mount in the boat, fix the oil pan and get the engine back in.. so i finally get it all hooked up, I go to start it up and it's not getting spark.. after troubleshooting for a few minutes, I take the distributor cap off and the rotor isn't spinning when I crank the engine.. I checked if the rotor was spinning freely hoping i didn't break the cam gear or strip the gear on the distributor.. it was fine (didn't turn).. so i yank the distributor and I checked the cam gear and it isn't spinning either when the engine is cranking.. I do know crank is turning as the harmonic balance spins and I can feel compression coming out of the cylinders.. Does this sound like the timing chain broke?? The boat ran fine when I had it out last (besides the oil pan deal).. I just don't see how it can break trying to start it up.. maybe that puts the most stress on it?? I'm hating my boat right now! :mad:

IMPATIENT 1
06-27-2006, 01:38 PM
I have pretty much stock ford 460.. I had a problem with poking a hole in the oil pan because of Sh*tty motor mounts.. I pull the motor and put a 4 point mount in the boat, fix the oil pan and get the engine back in.. so i finally get it all hooked up, I go to start it up and it's not getting spark.. after troubleshooting for a few minutes, I take the distributor cap off and the rotor isn't spinning when I crank the engine.. I checked if the rotor was spinning freely hoping i didn't break the cam gear or strip the gear on the distributor.. it was fine (didn't turn).. so i yank the distributor and I checked the cam gear and it isn't spinning either when the engine is cranking.. I do know crank is turning as the harmonic balance spins and I can feel compression coming out of the cylinders.. Does this sound like the timing chain broke?? The boat ran fine when I had it out last (besides the oil pan deal).. I just don't see how it can break trying to start it up.. maybe that puts the most stress on it?? I'm hating my boat right now! :mad:
IT HAPPENS! JUST STICK IN A 1970 MODEL TRUE ROLLER CHAIN, IT'LL GIVE YA MORE HP, THE 460 HAD RETARDED CAM TIMING FOR AWHILE TO BEAT EMMISSION LAWS AND THE 1970 CHAIN WILL RUN BETTER.

460 jus getn it
06-27-2006, 01:51 PM
I have pretty much stock ford 460.. I had a problem with poking a hole in the oil pan because of Sh*tty motor mounts.. I pull the motor and put a 4 point mount in the boat, fix the oil pan and get the engine back in.. so i finally get it all hooked up, I go to start it up and it's not getting spark.. after troubleshooting for a few minutes, I take the distributor cap off and the rotor isn't spinning when I crank the engine.. I checked if the rotor was spinning freely hoping i didn't break the cam gear or strip the gear on the distributor.. it was fine (didn't turn).. so i yank the distributor and I checked the cam gear and it isn't spinning either when the engine is cranking.. I do know crank is turning as the harmonic balance spins and I can feel compression coming out of the cylinders.. Does this sound like the timing chain broke?? The boat ran fine when I had it out last (besides the oil pan deal).. I just don't see how it can break trying to start it up.. maybe that puts the most stress on it?? I'm hating my boat right now! :mad:Thats sounds about right. If the crank is turning and the rotor isnt, then yes the chain is broken.

Ken F
06-27-2006, 03:09 PM
or the dowel pin broke, and the cam gear is spinning on the end of the cam.

LakesOnly
06-27-2006, 05:57 PM
I have pretty much stock ford 460... I go to start it up and it's not getting spark., I take the distributor cap off and the rotor isn't spinning when I crank the engine.. I checked if the rotor was spinning freely hoping i didn't break the cam gear or strip the gear on the distributor.. it was fine (didn't turn).. so i yank the distributor and I checked the cam gear and it isn't spinning either when the engine is cranking..Does this sound like the timing chain broke?? I'm hating my boat right now! :mad:Just that and you hate your boat??? For cryin' out loud, you already know where the problem is! Either you have a broken cheapo oem timing chain, or the dowel pin came out of your camshaft, or the cam gear bolt loosened up on ya, etc.
If you need a timing chain, I just happen to have an brand new extra that I want to unload for less than retail. A new-in-the-box, never used or mounted, steel geared CompCams #2122:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350TChain1.jpg
http://www.fordforums.com/images/smilies/updated.gif(Timing chain set is sold. LO) http://www.fordforums.com/images/smilies/updated.gif
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/350TChain2.jpg
This is not a top of the line chain but is way more than adequate for your bone stock 460. Summit's retail + shipped to your door (with their "handling fee") is about $75. I'll sell you this one for $50 shipped if you discover that your really need it. (Frankly, since you need to go into the front cover anyway, I'd strongly recommend swapping out that oem chain while your in there, regardless of whether it's broken or not.)
This is listed elsewhere too, so it's first come first served...but I thought I'd put it out there for you under the circumstances.
LO

dmontzsta
06-27-2006, 06:05 PM
Just that and you hate your boat??? For cryin' out loud, you already know where the problem is! Either you have a broken cheapo oem timing chain, or the dowel pin came out of your camshaft, or the cam gear bolt loosened up on ya, etc.
If you need a timing chain, I just happen to have an brand new extra that I want to unload for less than retail. A new-in-the-box, never used or mounted, steel geared CompCams #2122:
This is not a top of the line chain but is way more than adequate for your bone stock 460. Summit's retail + shipped to your door (with their "handling fee") is about $75. I'll sell you this one for $50 shipped if you discover that your really need it. (Frankly, since you need to go into the front cover anyway, I'd strongly recommend swapping out that oem chain while your in there, regardless of whether it's broken or not.)
This is listed elsewhere too, so it's first come first served...but I thought I'd put it out there for you under the circumstances.
LO
I would also HIGHLY RECOMMEND a High Flow Dynamics front cover. :D

76charger
06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Just put a timing gear set in and not worry about breaking a chain again I put a Pete Jackson gears set in no worries in three years.

dm2bfree
06-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks guys! Of course I don't REALLY hate my boat... I've just had to pull motor out 3 times (thinking it was good to go) since the last time I've had it out last month.. I'll know for sure tonight was the problem is since I'll get a chance to work on it..

nitro557
06-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Just put a timing gear set in and not worry about breaking a chain again I put a Pete Jackson gears set in no worries in three years.
a what? jesse jackson?not the way to go ,if you want the gear drive sound pay the money and get a milidon,for your motor a good chain will do just fine

dm2bfree
07-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Here's a pic I took right after I took off the intake manifold.. the lifter got kicked out after the push rod bent, its wedged between the cam & block as you can see. when I went to start the motor it broke the cam pin that sticks into the timing gear.. One of the other cam lopes (not on the one with the bent rod) was almost round and it had a couple mushroomed lifters.. I was thinking the boat ran kind of ran slow.. now i know why the owner got rid of it.. :mad: this was the 1st time I really had the boat out... guess one never knows what they're really getting unless the motor is torn down first.. I wish I would have!
Now I'm debating if i should rebuild the the motor and have it down for a month (and spend a small fortune) or just throw in a cam and lifters and baby it until the end of the season? then rebuild and spend a small fortune :) decisions, decisions..
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/dm2bfree/DSCF2234.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c18/dm2bfree/DSCF2233.jpg

LakesOnly
07-03-2006, 09:11 AM
...the lifter got kicked out after the push rod bent, its wedged between the cam & block...it broke the cam pin...One of the other cam lopes (not on the one with the bent rod) was almost round and it had a couple mushroomed lifters...the boat ran kind of ran slow...now i know why the owner got rid of it.. :mad: this was the 1st time I really had the boat out... guess one never knows what they're really getting unless the motor is torn down first.. I wish I would have!
Now I'm debating if i should rebuild the the motor and have it down for a month (and spend a small fortune) or just throw in a cam and lifters and baby it until the end of the season?
It's gotta come apart, 2bFree. If the motor has been run like this and wiped the lobes flat in the process, then you can bet you have metal shavings throughout your oiling system, no matter what brand oil filter you have. Installing a new cam and lifters and going on your way will very likely result in further engine damage and cost you lots more in the long run...or possibly leave you stranded in the middle of a lake somewhere.
If it makes you feel any better, it's not at all unusual to buy a jet boat and have to go through the motor. And once you've been through it (and whatever else) then you'll have smooth sailing, relatively speaking, for seasons to come. Of course, if the seller knowingly passed on a bad motor w/o mentioning its condition, then that's BS.
Don't know where you are, but we are in SoCal...it is peak summer and so at this point we have maybe a 60-day turnaround for most specialized builds, but certainly less for a basic mild marine longblock rebuild...PM if interested. Also, feel free to call with any questions regardless of where you are and/or where you go with the engine.
LO