PDA

View Full Version : New to the boat game

Diablo54
06-27-2006, 02:16 PM
I have a buddy who is selling his jet boat (he got a new bigger boat for the kids and wife), It is really nice and runs great he asked if I wanted to buy so I went and applied for the loan and was approved. :crossx: I am thinking about buying the 18' boat. I have never owned a boat before but I do have jet ski's. so I just wanted to how everyone likes there jetboats or would they have bought something else instead???

Hardin18454
06-27-2006, 02:27 PM
If you like boating on rivers a jet is the only way to go. Jet boats are not all that great on big lakes where the water gets rough. They can actually be dangerous on rough water if you dont know how to or are not real good at driving them. Have seen quit a few idiots sink there 18' jets on big lakes. If you have common sence you should be just fine and have a great time.

LAFD
06-27-2006, 02:32 PM
few things to look for imo. what lakes or river are you gunna take it. does it get choppy or rough? if so try to buy bigger at least a 20. jet boats are great there safe you dont have to worry about people getting propped or hiting the bottom and screwing up you drive. and you can run if fairly shallow water. does the boat have full stringers as to apposed a single stringer up the middle. i would prefer full stringers much stonger and safer. does it sit low in the water if so you have to watch how you anchor up incase you get a roller and it fills the back of the boat.just depends on your boating but either way have fun and be safe.

Diablo54
06-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks guys I think I am going to buy the boat, I do not live far from Laughlin and I herd the colorado is a great place to go. I will keep the skies just to have some fun at the lake incase we go and the water gets too choppy :yuk:

AngryJosh
06-27-2006, 03:03 PM
My advice would be to take it to a calm little place that doesnt get crazy choppy and feel it out. Have your buddy take you out a couple of times to teach you the ins and outs of jetboating. Like dont just take your foot off the throttle and come to a stop. You have to slowly bring the boat to a stop to keep the tidel wave behind you from swamping your boat. A few little things and your on the water

Sundance
06-27-2006, 03:46 PM
There is nothing better than running on flat water with the roster tail behind you. But as someone said take your time in learning about it. It's taken me the better part of three years to really understand a jet. I still learn everytime I take her out.
I'm going to Laughlin this weekend, July 1, for the first time in the jet. Looking forward to learning more. Have never had her on a river.

Hardin18454
06-27-2006, 04:33 PM
The rive @ loughlin (sp.?) is a great section of river. Perfect for the boat you are buying. Like said before, take your time to learn the boat. Jets can be tricky. For one instance when you let off the gas on a jet the boat wont steer, you have to be on the gas to turn. Can get tricky at times. Good luck with it and above all have a great time!

80Dimarco
06-27-2006, 05:30 PM
When looking for a boat I only look at jets. I am not interested in taking my boats in the ocean so Jets give me the most options for fresh water boating.
I was on lake havasu this weekend, very rough, but that is because there were tons of 30-40FT boats zingin along all over the place, those things belong on the ocean IMO!!

Wicked Performance Boats
06-27-2006, 05:33 PM
If you can drive a jetski, you can drive a jetboat. Just stay away from the lakelice!!!! J/K Wecome to the real world. Budlight

Diablo54
06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Thanks everyone for the intro to Jet-boating, I will post some pictures of it when I finally have it in my possesion(sp). I just have to go to the bank and get it taken care of and get the money to my buddy so I can change all the paper work to my name. I know it is going to take some time to get to know how the boat feels in the water but I will take my time to intune with everything. This forum seems cool like my bansheee forum and I am sure I will get to know some people that can help me out and possible meet them up at the lake to have some good times. Again thanks everyone and I will have some pics up either tomorrow when I buy the boat or after this weekend cause I am going to lake Tahoe for the 4th.