PDA

View Full Version : 6.0 Liter Oil Leak??

laveydayz
06-27-2006, 07:52 PM
My new Chevy Hd has an Oil leak at 2500mi. Dealer advised they have had several 6.0 liter's with leaks in the casting of the oil pan? Its leaking a very small amount at the back of the pan where it meets the bell housing. They say the trans will have to come out to verify if its the pan or main seal? Have any of you had this issue? Not to stoked on having the trans dropped on a brand new truck?

wsuwrhr
06-27-2006, 08:12 PM
My new Chevy Hd has an Oil leak at 2500mi. Dealer advised they have had several 6.0 liter's with leaks in the casting of the oil pan? Its leaking a very small amount at the back of the pan where it meets the bell housing. They say the trans will have to come out to verify if its the pan or main seal? Have any of you had this issue? Not to stoked on having the trans dropped on a brand new truck?
Had the same problem last year with an Chevy LS1 I installed in a Funco sandrail. Two main seals, and two pan gaskets later, I found the same thing, ended up taking the pan off and put on a new one. Fixed the problem. I became an expert in R&R'ing the motor.
It sucked.
All good now.
Brian

laveydayz
06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
hopefully they get it right....bet you were gettin frustrated. My first guess was gasket/seals. Never thought the casting would leak.

wsuwrhr
06-27-2006, 09:35 PM
hopefully they get it right....bet you were gettin frustrated. My first guess was gasket/seals. Never thought the casting would leak.
After spending countless hours fuking with it, I had heard the same thing you did, and just bought a new pan.
To be honest, I never found out if it was the casting or not. I know that replacing the pan fixed the problem though. Good enough for me.
After the new pan fixed the leak, I was so mad about the time I wasted on it, I took a sledgehammer to the old pan and put what was left of it in my aluminum scrap bin. Best deal I ever got.
Brian