PDA

View Full Version : Digital Gauges

Jbb
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
I have always thought digital gauges looked kinda goofy......well I think Im puttin them in my Cobra....found a guy on the Cobra site I frequent who makes them......they come in red......and for a little more...blue.....I like em.....comments?
I think these would look nice in a pearl blue car...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/860VBM-B-Boost-01.jpg

Rexone
01-06-2006, 01:34 PM
comments?
I think these would look nice in a pearl blue car...
They're gay as hell.
So you have a Maxima?

Jbb
01-06-2006, 01:36 PM
They're gay as hell.
So you have a Maxima?
lol...I should have known better.... :p
as a matter of Fact ....I bought one new in 1997......and traded it on an Escalade in 2001....wished I had another one... :rollside:

Wet Dream
01-06-2006, 01:37 PM
If the number readout is matched up with the sweep of the bars lighting up, it makes it much easier to glance at, without have to read a number and think it through. Those are pretty nice looking, and you have to figure in the sunlight being a factor on being able to read them. I know its in a car, but all dashboards get light at some point, especially verts. ;)

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Maximas kick ass. Escalades are for Puerto Ricans.

Jbb
01-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Maximas kick ass. Escalades are for Puerto Ricans.
And your point is.... :p

Jbb
01-06-2006, 01:40 PM
If the number readout is matched up with the sweep of the bars lighting up, it makes it much easier to glance at, without have to read a number and think it through. Those are pretty nice looking, and you have to figure in the sunlight being a factor on being able to read them. I know its in a car, but all dashboards get light at some point, especially verts. ;)
The guy said the blues are very bright and dont have the sunlight problem,as the car has no top at all :)

Froggystyle
01-06-2006, 01:47 PM
I need a good digi volt meter for the boat. Can you get me some info on that?
The blue looks nice. The voltmeter is for the stereo batteries.

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 01:48 PM
The voltmeter is for the stereo batteries.
... so it only needs to read to 6v.

Sleek-Jet
01-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Where's a rim shot when you need one??? :D

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Where's a rim shot when you need one??? :D
Has anyone seen Roman 1 around lately? :idea:

Jbb
01-06-2006, 01:51 PM
In a world without sarcasm....Brown would dry up and blow away... :mad: ................. :p

Old Texan
01-06-2006, 01:52 PM
Just something about digital that doesn't fit the Cobra feel. All I've seen of your car is the pix when doing the hoodscoop. IMO the Cobra image is one of low key, spartan, raw, powerful. Standard needle gauges just fit the image right. Cobras just exude untamed power.
Digital fits more the exotic type sports car.
Hope that makes sense. Love to see some pix, those cars are great.
My son in law builds drag cars and when I move back to TX we're thinking of a Cobra project. His tube frame and buy just the body. Small block with a turbo.
He's got a couple drag racing buddies here in GA that have some awesome 10.5 Outlaw cars.

Jbb
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Just something about digital that doesn't fit the Cobra feel. All I've seen of your car is the pix when doing the hoodscoop. IMO the Cobra image is one of low key, spartan, raw, powerful. Standard needle gauges just fit the image right. Cobras just exude untamed power.
Digital fits more the exotic type sports car.
Hope that makes sense. Love to see some pix, those cars are great.
My son in law builds drag cars and when I move back to TX we're thinking of a Cobra project. His tube frame and buy just the body. Small block with a turbo.
He's got a couple drag racing buddies here in GA that have some awesome 10.5 Outlaw cars.
My Cobra is not in the ...replicar mold of the original looking ones...Its more pro street than pro original.....I was gonna put the autometer Carbon face gauges in it....but the blue digitals caught my eye...

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
In a world without sarcasm....Brown would dry up and blow away... :mad: ................. :p
I dig irony and shit.

Jbb
01-06-2006, 02:02 PM
I dig irony and shit.
This place drips with it.....7 days a week too.....lol... :D

Powerquestboy
01-06-2006, 02:05 PM
[QUOTE=Old Texan]Just something about digital that doesn't fit the Cobra feel. All I've seen of your car is the pix when doing the hoodscoop. IMO the Cobra image is one of low key, spartan, raw, powerful. Standard needle gauges just fit the image right. Cobras just exude untamed power. QUOTE]
Bingo...I agree 100% No Digi. That car is way too classic! That car shouldnt even have a stereo. Nothing but fiberglass and motor.

Jbb
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=Old Texan]Just something about digital that doesn't fit the Cobra feel. All I've seen of your car is the pix when doing the hoodscoop. IMO the Cobra image is one of low key, spartan, raw, powerful. Standard needle gauges just fit the image right. Cobras just exude untamed power. QUOTE]
Bingo...I agree 100% No Digi. That car is way too classic! That car shouldnt even have a stereo. Nothing but fiberglass and motor.
No stereo...If you look at the dash pic.....there is room for an old stlye {din?}
stereo in the dash plate...that section of the plate is gonna get cut off when the new gauges go in... :p
No top...no heater ....no stereo...{you couldn't hear one anyway :p }
If you follow the link in my [and Browns :p ] sig...you can see some of the build up of this car
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0023co.JPG

Sleek-Jet
01-06-2006, 02:12 PM
No stereo...If you look at the dash pic.....there is room for an old stlye {din?}
stereo in ths dash plate...that section of the plate is gonna get cut off when the new gauges go in... :p
Your scoop is backwards... and I can't see it, but I bet the gear shift looks like it came out of Pinto... :D

Jbb
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Your scoop is backwards... and I can't see it, but I bet the gear shift looks like it came out of Pinto... :D
The scoop is no longer backwards... :p http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0044cc.JPG
and the shifter is now a Hurst quarter stick......no more Pinto shifters for me... :p

Powerquestboy
01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
If you follow the link in my [and Browns :p ] sig...you can see some of the build up of this car
I'm not just a car freak, but a professional lurker as well. I have been following your build on the river rats board for a long time. I wish you were closer to AZ I've got bone stock 66 VW bug that needs some attention. I have done a good amount of paint and body work but really dont have the space or the tools.

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Step up to the Krylon rack, PQB. :cool:
If Jbb can talk me through it, anyone can do it. :)

Powerquestboy
01-06-2006, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I love to see a classic car that someone has given the Krylon touch!

Old Texan
01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
stereo in the dash plate...that section of the plate is gonna get cut off when the new gauges go in... :p
Da mn that's fine looking. Are there details and pix somewhere to see engine and such?

Cole Trickle
01-06-2006, 02:42 PM
Digital is nice and easy to read.
I have a standard boost gauge in my car but it's kinda hard to see exact PSI because concentrating on the road is a good thing in a 500+ hp car.
The blue looks nice but from what I have always been told red is the only light that won't blind you at night.I never opted for a shift light other than red because being blinded trying to bang a 6500rpm shift is a bad idea.
Cool Cobra by the way I have been following the build for quite a while. :)

Old Texan
01-06-2006, 02:51 PM
Hey I found the site on RRL. Followed the Link in Brown's post....little scary following something from there, but it worked. :rollside:
Very nice JBB, very nice. :cool:
Just askin' for a Turbo. Plenty of room for piping and intercooler. Brad Brand here in ATL sets em' for the drag racers.

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
Followed the Link in Brown's post....little scary following something from there, but it worked. :rollside:
With all the kindness and support I've served up over the years, you'd think he'd let me post a picture of two chicks shitting on a sidewalk......................... but NOOOOOOOO. :mad:
He took that pic down faster than MMD mowing down a 73 year old female registered democrat in his '76 Country Squire wagon.

Jbb
01-06-2006, 03:08 PM
With all the kindness and support I've served up over the years, you'd think he'd let me post a picture of two chicks shitting on a sidewalk......................... but NOOOOOOOO. :mad:
He took that pic down faster than MMD mowing down a 73 year old female registered democrat in his '76 Country Squire wagon.
That pic was taken down because Mr Busch didnt see the humour in it....he said something about it ..."being bad for the product image"...rather than argue with him....[he does sign the paychecks].. :p I elected to remove it.....you may put it back now ...I dont think he is coming back..... :p

Jbb
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Hey I found the site on RRL. Followed the Link in Brown's post....little scary following something from there, but it worked. :rollside:
Very nice JBB, very nice. :cool:
Just askin' for a Turbo. Plenty of room for piping and intercooler. Brad Brand here in ATL sets em' for the drag racers.
Thank you
Turbo....lol......on a 90 in wheelbase car........Its all I can do to keep it in a straight line now... :p

Jbb
01-06-2006, 03:12 PM
Digital is nice and easy to read.
I have a standard boost gauge in my car but it's kinda hard to see exact PSI because concentrating on the road is a good thing in a 500+ hp car.
The blue looks nice but from what I have always been told red is the only light that won't blind you at night.I never opted for a shift light other than red because being blinded trying to bang a 6500rpm shift is a bad idea.
Cool Cobra by the way I have been following the build for quite a while. :)
These gauges have a 9 position dimming feature

Tom Brown
01-06-2006, 03:37 PM
That pic was taken down because ...... I elected to remove it.....you may put it back now ...I dont think he is coming back..... :p
There's no point. Now Tom... and Bikini Girl... are sad.

Jbb
01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
There's no point. Now Tom... and Bikini Girl... are sad.
Again...you...and she.....Jim Carroll band......turn the volume on ....11.....Take a toke....and all your cares........go up in smoke..... :p

superdave013
01-06-2006, 03:44 PM
I think the carbon autometer's will look more racy. But if you are going for the "EMO" look then you're on the right track. :p

Jbb
01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I think the carbon autometer's will look more racy. But if you are going for the "EMO" look then you're on the right track. :p
Nix on the EMO look . :mad: ..guess I'll get the old Jegs catalog back out... :p

rrrr
01-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Hmmmmm, I think you have a real opportunity here. Blue digital gauges? Hell ya. What about TV screens, cool steering wheels, and a bit of interior glass work?
You could really come up with something good.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72acruabot4.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72acruabot5.jpg

Jbb
01-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Hmmmmm, I think you have a real opportunity here. Blue digital gauges? Hell ya. What about TV screens, cool steering wheels, and a bit of interior glass work?
You could really come up with something good.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72acruabot4.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/72acruabot5.jpg
Hmmm...Starship Enterprise look........Brown would really dig that...he has been known to dress up like spock.....and walk around Wal Mart trying to give good lookin chicks the Vulcan nerve pinch....

ROZ
01-06-2006, 04:08 PM
The scoop is no longer backwards... :p http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0044cc.JPG
and the shifter is now a Hurst quarter stick......no more Pinto shifters for me... :p
That's no scoup.. That's a metal wall magazine rack someone stole from my dentist office :D

Jbb
01-06-2006, 04:12 PM
That's no scoup.. That's a metal wall magazine rack someone stole from my dentist office :D
Hand hammered ...no less.... :p

Jbb
01-06-2006, 04:47 PM
I'm not just a car freak, but a professional lurker as well. I have been following your build on the river rats board for a long time. I wish you were closer to AZ I've got bone stock 66 VW bug that needs some attention. I have done a good amount of paint and body work but really dont have the space or the tools.
Done a few Bugs myself..... :p
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181bug.jpg

Rexone
01-06-2006, 07:02 PM
SD I wonder if they make the whole line in this series?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732emoboost.jpg

Jbb
01-06-2006, 07:04 PM
SD I wonder if they make the whole line in this series?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/732emoboost.jpg
Man ...this is a tough crowd we play to....EMO series.....lol...now Im so depressed... :p

PHOTOGLOU
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
BE CAREFUL they are very hard to read in direct sunlight

Rexone
01-06-2006, 07:12 PM
No worrys Jay, these EMO guys never go out of the house unless it's shitty and gray out.

rivrbrat
01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
These would look good in a boat also.
http://www.dakotadigital.com/

rrrr
01-06-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm assuming this is the "before" picture. :crossx: :crossx:
Done a few Bugs myself..... :p
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181bug.jpg

coolchange
01-06-2006, 07:26 PM
Nix the gauges...
Scoops bitchen, you roll that or hammer?
Anyone se the irony of an aluminum scoop on a glass Cobra?

Jbb
01-06-2006, 07:26 PM
I'm assuming this is the "before" picture. :crossx: :crossx:
That was indeed an after shot.....and the color was a replication of her fingernail polish.. :D

Jbb
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
Nix the gauges...
Scoops bitchen, you roll that or hammer?
Anyone se the irony of an aluminum scoop on a glass Cobra?
Rolled....aluminum scoop.....bolted to a glass hood..with polished stainless button head bolts...I just could not find a glass scoop shape that I liked ..... :p

rrrr
01-06-2006, 07:29 PM
That was indeed an after shot.....and the color was a replication of her fingernail polish.. :D
So we can call you needledick the bug f ucker?
:D :D :D

Jbb
01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
So we can call you needledick the bug f ucker?
:D :D :D
Emo's polish their nails...didnt you see the movie... :p

Jbb
01-06-2006, 07:32 PM
I was aware of that problem with Dakota and Cyberdyne...and I emailed this guy with those concerns.....this was his reply....
Few things:
They are very bright -- the Miata guys have been passing around the word on these cause they work well in their convertibles. Our #1 complaint is that they're too bright in vehicles such as Corvettes and other vehicles with a sloping windshield and with the gauges on a pillar pod. But they're dimmable. And if you wish, I can let you evaluate a demo unit first. If you know someone who has other-brand digital gauges, you can compare side-by-side

572Daytona
01-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Few things:
They are very bright -- the Miata guys have been passing around the word on these cause they work well in their convertibles. Our #1 complaint is that they're too bright in vehicles such as Corvettes and other vehicles with a sloping windshield and with the gauges on a pillar pod. But they're dimmable. And if you wish, I can let you evaluate a demo unit first. If you know someone who has other-brand digital gauges, you can compare side-by-side
Never seen any Miata guys in this part of Georgia, sounds like something you would get around the buckhead are. Perhaps this model would get you better results wit them:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/732rainbowboost.jpg

maxwedge
01-06-2006, 11:27 PM
IMO digital gauges are a pain in the ass. I've owned a 300ZX with factory digital and a bug (mine was a nice masculine green color) with cyberdine in it. My bike (R1) has a digital speedo, I hate it! You can't really see the rate you are accelerating at like on an analog gauge, but at least the tach is analog. Also, for lack of a better word, they all seem to have slow "response time". Seems like the gauges are always a few tenths behind catching up to the actual readings. In all cases I would have glady traded them for analog. The analogs are way easier to read, more accurate, cheaper, they very almost never break. Both the bug and the Z had complete blank dash boards on several occasions, like when it's really cold or hot. Drove the Z for a year with no gauges and never did get it fixed because the dealer wanted $1550 for a new dash :220v: Also I have to agree that the Cobra would just look all wrong with digital gauges. Save the idea for your next Maxima ricer project.
Also LMAO at the EMO gauge and related comments. :crossx: :crossx:

Jbb
01-07-2006, 02:52 AM
Never seen any Miata guys in this part of Georgia, sounds like something you would get around the buckhead are. Perhaps this model would get you better results wit them:
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/732rainbowboost.jpg
.......................... :jawdrop: ................

Jbb
01-10-2006, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the input.....most of you....I ordered the CF Autometers this morning..... :p
Old school 1-------EMO 0.......... :p

Nord
01-10-2006, 11:04 AM
your lawn is looking good there Jbb!!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/181DSCF0023co.JPG[/QUOTE]
:rollside: :)

Nord
01-10-2006, 11:05 AM
This comes with a rainbow sticker that is to be put on the rear bumper right???
http://home.alltel.net/jthieme/732rainbowboost.jpg[/QUOTE]

Jbb
01-11-2006, 07:38 AM
your lawn is looking good there Jbb!!!
:rollside: :)[/QUOTE]
Thats how its supposed to look in the winter..... :)

Tom Brown
01-11-2006, 07:47 AM
Thats how its supposed to look in the winter..... :)
I enjoy a good thatch problem as much as anybody. :cool:

Jbb
01-11-2006, 07:57 AM
I enjoy a good thatch problem as much as anybody. :cool:
not thatch dumbass.... :p dormant season..... :)

Tom Brown
01-11-2006, 08:34 AM
Perhaps it's not so much dormant as pinned down by all that thatch? :idea:
That's some high end fescue oppression you've got going on there, Brian.

Jbb
01-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Perhaps it's not so much dormant as pinned down by all that thatch? :idea:
That's some high end fescue oppression you've got going on there, Brian.
Thats it Brown.. :mad: .Im coming up there to [threat deleted by HB auto threat detection/deletion system]
and its not fescue...It's Bermuda

rrrr
01-11-2006, 09:02 AM
Few things:
They are very bright -- the Miata guys have been passing around the word on these cause they work well in their convertibles.
Hmmmmm......
I'm thinking that the Cobra is just wrong for you, Jbb. Think of the lifestyle possibilities with a Miata. Driving through the neighborhood, digital gauges glowing like a bright sunshiny day, you're waving to the other Miata guys.
Next thing ya know, you are there, baby. Late night discussions about that big four cylinder engine. How to care for the leather seating surfaces on the form fitting bucket seats. Spending time on MiataMessageBoards.com.
Think of all the compliments. When the pimply faced grocery sacker rolls your cart out into the parking lot, he'll see your ride and exclaim "Wow, is that a MIATA?" Girls will squeal with delight. "What a cute little car!"
Take my advice, bro. This is a seriously cool opportunity to be a real player. Run with it.
:crossx: :rollside:

sorry dog
01-11-2006, 09:13 AM
not thatch dumbass.... :p dormant season..... :)
Whatever...you've just been letting RD get lazy with the fertilizing and shit.
Besides, I thought Bermuda was too blue collar for your neighborhood? Isn't Zoysha part of local uniform lawn convenants?

Dave C
01-11-2006, 09:37 AM
we don't need no stinking gauges....
gauges are for sissys... just pin in and don't worry about what is going to happen next...... if she blows=destiny... :) :rollside:

Jbb
01-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Hmmmmm......
I'm thinking that the Cobra is just wrong for you, Jbb. Think of the lifestyle possibilities with a Miata. Driving through the neighborhood, digital gauges glowing like a bright sunshiny day, you're waving to the other Miata guys.
Next thing ya know, you are there, baby. Late night discussions about that big four cylinder engine. How to care for the leather seating surfaces on the form fitting bucket seats. Spending time on MiataMessageBoards.com.
Think of all the compliments. When the pimply faced grocery sacker rolls your cart out into the parking lot, he'll see your ride and exclaim "Wow, is that a MIATA?" Girls will squeal with delight. "What a cute little car!"
Take my advice, bro. This is a seriously cool opportunity to be a real player. Run with it.
:crossx: :rollside:
Nice>>>>>Jbb....Real Player..... :p

Jbb
01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Whatever...you've just been letting RD get lazy with the fertilizing and shit.
Besides, I thought Bermuda was too blue collar for your neighborhood? Isn't Zoysha part of local uniform lawn convenants?
Im a neighborhood rogue.....

Jbb
01-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Got a large box today from Rex Marine..... full of non EMO carbon fiber autometers ...along with a Rex Marine dash sticker....thanks again Mike!...EMO,....lol

Dave C
01-31-2006, 04:55 PM
succumbed to the peer pressure again huh.... I thought your were a rebel....
sell out!

Jbb
01-31-2006, 04:56 PM
succumbed to the peer pressure again huh.... I thought your were a rebel....
sell out!
Rex can be very high presure.... :p
I also got my brand new Rex Catalog!

SmokinLowriderSS
01-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Summit digitals are loading the dash of Lowrider this winter, and a Cendyne Tach & fuel gauge (they all look just alike), red display tho. The oil press gauge was done last year as a test to replace bad one midsummer. Full daylight is no trouble, and they DIM when you activate the lighting circuitry.

Dave C
01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
bologna... rex catalog... Ha....thats like saying you received a unicorn in the mail.
I ain't buying it.. ;)
I also got my brand new Rex Catalog!