PDA

View Full Version : Do all Mechanics lie??

Gilligan
06-28-2006, 03:17 AM
Why do they tell you they can get to your boat right away when they really have no intensions of touching it for the next 2 to 3 weeks? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

JetBoatRich
06-28-2006, 03:44 AM
Depends on your arrangements :rolleyes: I made an appointment with Concept Marine a couple months ago :cool: he said it would be a couple days to complete. I was surprised by a call the next day saying it was complete :cool:
I also took the jet boat in there a couple weeks before that, he had the problems resolved before I could get to my office :cool: nothing like same day service :cool:

Run_em_Hard
06-28-2006, 04:03 AM
I agree with what Rich is sayin...it all depends on where you go.

ThongMagnet
06-28-2006, 05:15 AM
This is not another Eliminator great customer service thread :) :) :)

Go Ciggie
06-28-2006, 05:25 AM
For some kinky shops it loads up the shop with biz {unsold labor time} so they can pick and choose the jobs they want to finish and keep cash flow going at customers expense- good shops use this down time to order parts{but that is rare}
selfish and unethical at best-industry needs more {good} competition-
there are good shops out there, keep the faith :)

OGShocker
06-28-2006, 05:39 AM
Why do they tell you they can get to your boat right away when they really have no intensions of touching it for the next 2 to 3 weeks? :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
To answer your question, no, not all.
Sorry to hear about your problems. If you are in So. Cal, I recommend B&D Marine of El Monte. Family run business for over 15 years. Brian and his family are simply the best!!! Call 626.443.3721.

91nordic29
06-28-2006, 05:46 AM
what kind of boat is it, again? :wink:

lucky
06-28-2006, 05:54 AM
they are just as honest as exwives .....

NOTALENT
06-28-2006, 06:12 AM
That would be called a Shade Tree Mechanic.... :rollside: Lots of them do....and it is bull shit...unless there is good reason....

Drift
06-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Yes, all mechanics lie. I know where you can get a great deal on a DCB though... :rolleyes:

ratso
06-28-2006, 06:49 AM
We work in the simple jobs ahead of the not so simple jobs. If a guy comes in and wants a water pump, a depth finder mounted, a switch replaced... we normally get them out the same day or next. I am not putting them behind a customer with say major fiberglass work or an engine rebuild when we are running a month behind. This time of year we may put in 12 to 16 hour days and typically set aside about 2 to 4 hours to get the easy jobs out. One thing about the boat business people don't understand is that a 2 hour job can easily snowball into an all day job or longer. That's why I give a "window". If I believe we are going to get a job in 2 weeks, I'll tell them 2 weeks to 4 weeks... and don't call us, we'll call you. Phone calls were one of the major distractions here in the past. I will bill the customer for every call that they ask "Is my boat ready yet?"... especially when we are nowhere near the time I told them it would be ready. If your carbs are gummed, your pump is out, or your boat sat all winter and has problems and you bring it in now and want it for the 4th... that's too bad. It ain't hapnin'... We also do things this time of year... wants and needs. If someone has a mechanical problem, they are going to be put ahead of someone who wants an "accent stripe" painted on their boat. We address the needs. The ones with the wants are normally scheduled in the off-season.

Jbb
06-28-2006, 06:51 AM
We work in the simple jobs ahead of the not so simple jobs. If a guy comes in and wants a water pump, a depth finder mounted, a switch replaced... we normally get them out the same day or next. I am not putting them behind a customer with say major fiberglass work or an engine rebuild when we are running a month behind. This time of year we may put in 12 to 16 hour days and typically set aside about 2 to 4 hours to get the easy jobs out. One thing about the boat business people don't understand is that a 2 hour job can easily snowball into an all day job or longer. That's why I give a "window". If I believe we are going to get a job in 2 weeks, I'll tell them 2 weeks to 4 weeks... and don't call us, we'll call you. Phone calls were one of the major distractions here in the past. I will bill the customer for every call that they ask "Is my boat ready yet?"... especially when we are nowhere near the time I told them it would be ready. If your carbs are gummed, your pump is out, or your boat sat all winter and has problems and you bring it in now and want it for the 4th... that's too bad. It ain't hapnin'... We also do things this time of year... wants and needs. If someone has a mechanical problem, they are going to be put ahead of someone who wants an "accent stripe" painted on their boat. We address the needs. The ones with the wants are normally scheduled in the off-season.
I have an opening..... to paint an accent stripe.....around Thanksgiving.... :p

ratso
06-28-2006, 06:53 AM
I have an opening..... to paint an accent stripe.....around Thanksgiving.... :p
...do it yourself. :D

BadKachina
06-28-2006, 07:05 AM
This sounds about right. Don't forget we have to order parts alot of times. This time of year alot of stuff is back ordered.
Customers lie too, they never tell the truth about what happened the last time they were out. I'll never understand why someone will bring their boat in for service and not tell you that the last time they had their boat out it quit running, or they over heated it or what ever. It's not until I we figure out it has problems and we call them back before anything is ever mentioned. Now a small job has turned into an all day job. I had a guy the other day tell me his starter was out. So I tested it, ordered a new one, installed it and the motor still wouldn't turn over. It turned out the drive was locked up solid, that's how he burnt up the last starter. It wasn't until he came in to see the drive that he admited the last time he ran it he lost power, the motor shut down on him and he couldn't get it started. Now this job just turned into a huge job, and I could have started on the drive while I was waiting for a starter.

Gilligan
06-28-2006, 07:13 AM
I just wanted my bottom washed and a drive service... I ask him if he could get to it soon or if he was swamped with work. He told me he was not swamped and could get to it on monday weather pending of last week. It only rained once last week and the boat is still untouched!! :mad: I would rather hear the truth. Not some BS just to get my business. Another shop down the street told me they were 3 weeks out. I guess they are more honest. :220v: Live and learn!!!!

Gilligan
06-28-2006, 07:20 AM
I had a guy the other day tell me his starter was out. So I tested it, ordered a new one, installed it and the motor still wouldn't turn over. It turned out the drive was locked up solid, that's how he burnt up the last starter. It wasn't until he came in to see the drive that he admited the last time he ran it he lost power, the motor shut down on him and he couldn't get it started. Now this job just turned into a huge job, and I could have started on the drive while I was waiting for a starter.
He has no reason to be mad if he cannot tell you the truth. :)

BadKachina
06-28-2006, 07:26 AM
I just wanted my bottom washed and a drive service... I ask him if he could get to it soon or if he was swamped with work. He told me he was not swamped and could get to it on monday weather pending of last week. It only rained once last week and the boat is still untouched!! :mad: I would rather hear the truth. Not some BS just to get my business. Another shop down the street told me they were 3 weeks out. I guess they are more honest. :220v: Live and learn!!!!
I agree, you should be able to make an appointment and have a shop look at your boat without having to park it somewhere for three weeks. We work by appointments and try our best to stick to them.