PDA

View Full Version : Shaft mount rockers....is there any other way

Lavey Huffer
06-28-2006, 05:42 AM
I set the proper rocker geometry on my AFR head SBC and the rocker is way to close to the retainer,and if I change the pushrod legnth to make it fit,the rocker is not centered.There is maybe .002 clearance the recomended min. is .030. The rockers are the comp cams hi-tech 1.5 ratio (was recomended by comp and afr) will ratio effect the geometry?If the rocker is any longer it will make it worse.
The rocker specs show that they will clear a 1.550 springs,mine are 1.555
So I really dont see a way around shaft mount rockers

Jim W
06-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Mill the rocker at the point where things are too close??? Not a big deal.
Be good, Jim

steelcomp
06-29-2006, 05:28 PM
What are you using to determine what is "correct" geometry? You have correct geometry when at exactly mid lift, the imaginary line that passes through the center of the trunion and the center of the roller tip is at 90* to the valve stem. Anything else is wrong. What Comp Cams calls "proper geometry" is purely BS.
I might add that very seldom is the roller going to be centered on the valve tip if geometry is correct. I set the proper rocker geometry on my AFR head SBC and the rocker is way to close to the retainer,and if I change the pushrod legnth to make it fit,the rocker is not centered.There is maybe .002 clearance the recomended min. is .030. The rockers are the comp cams hi-tech 1.5 ratio (was recomended by comp and afr) will ratio effect the geometry?If the rocker is any longer it will make it worse.
The rocker specs show that they will clear a 1.550 springs,mine are 1.555
So I really dont see a way around shaft mount rockers

steelcomp
06-29-2006, 05:52 PM
Here's a quick sketch that might help.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1729rocker_geometry.jpg

Lavey Huffer
06-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Very nice sketch...tech. illustrator?
Well here is the deal,I marked thr valve tip with a sharpie marker,set rocker on stud,used adjustable pushrod to line the rocker tip up with approx. center. set pre-load, rotate ,disasemble and inspect.
I did this about 3 times and came up with very good allignment (exactlly like your drawing) and the rocker is too close to the retainer .003,recommended is .030 .

steelcomp
06-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Very nice sketch...tech. illustrator?
Well here is the deal,I marked thr valve tip with a sharpie marker,set rocker on stud,used adjustable pushrod to line the rocker tip up with approx. center. set pre-load, rotate ,disasemble and inspect.
I did this about 3 times and came up with very good allignment (exactlly like your drawing) and the rocker is too close to the retainer .003,recommended is .030 .I'm not sure you're getting what I'm trying to say...alignment dosen't mean anything if you didn't put a dial indicator on your retainer, set your lash, go to exactly half your net lift, and visually look to see if the rocker is at 90* to the valve stem. Unless you do this, you're not going to know if you have the right geometry or not. Not by alignment, not by sweep, not by any other means. If you have light checking springs on the heads, you can just adjust the pushrod while you're at mid-lift to get the right geometry, but you can't start at zero lift, and expect to have anything close, without checking at mid lift. If you mean by alignment, that you did this, and you're confident that things are close enough, then it sounds like the tip length on the valve is too short, or you have retainers with added installed height. In either case, a fix can be to run lash caps, and a slightly longer pushrod. This will effectively move the rocker up higher on the stud. I would seriously recommend getting the right valves, though, if this is the problem.

blowngas
06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
the rocker is too close to the retainer
sounds like someone put +50 retainers on----go back and and do what steelcomp suggests, and set it up right.