PDA

View Full Version : first time out checklist?

eek-a-RAT
06-28-2006, 11:45 AM
hello all,im new to the forum & a great one at that.
i just recently purchased a 80 sanger super jet w/ harmann 454.it has wet stacks with a bunch of basset goodies. it was sold from a storage company on a lien, so i dont know much on the history on this boat except for the 250hours on the meter.i have been on the water with jet skis but not on a boat. what are my procedures to make sure all is running correctly? do i just drop it in the water & go, or do i need to adjust water valves? i tried the search engine w/ no luck. any help is greatly appreciated. pics will be up soon.

echo
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
Change the oil,put the plug in it. Run it on the trailer at the ramp

El Prosecutor
06-28-2006, 12:10 PM
Change the oil,put the plug in it. Run it on the trailer at the ramp
IN the water! Debris accumulated in and around the impeller during storage and trailering is a major source of wear, especially when spinning dry.
I would also check the jet bowl for oil, and grease the thrust bearing before firing up as well. When you take it out watch for excessive dripping around the shaft, and be prepared to tighten the packing nuts a little.

eek-a-RAT
06-28-2006, 12:27 PM
when she fires up, where is the shifter to be at. in drive or reverse in between? whats the deal on headers (bassett wet stacks) they have baffles/mufflers in them. will i get harassed?

castone001
06-28-2006, 12:33 PM
Definately DO NOT start it after sitting this long without putting it in the water. It should just at the floating point when you back it in. Keep the front hooked up tot he trailer. Fire it up and yes check for water leaks around the pump shaft and all you water hoses.
Put your shifter in neutral position, it will still try to go forward (direct drive ya know :) )
Headers, check to make sure you have baffles. if it has been sitting it would also be a good idea to check the t-valve for the headers. Take it off the hoses noting which hose goes where. You can dissamble the t-valve and inspect the spring/bearing inside. Make sure it moves freely and there is no rust. Put it back together.
If you have baffles you should be OK. try not to rev it up too much close to shore/dock.
If you have a buddy with a boat ask him to go out with you so you dont get caught waiting for some nice soul to tow you in int he event of breakage.
Post pics and let us know how it goes.

bergen
06-28-2006, 12:48 PM
# 1 make sure plug is in
# 2 make sure ice chest is full and secure in boat

eek-a-RAT
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
i have replaced the oil (10qt) fatty moroso pan. i have flushed out the jet intake with a preasure hose. motor has been fired up @ the time of purchase. it was run maybe 10-15 seconds. no revs. i just gotta grease up the shaft bearings eh! lol. i see a bunch of on/off valves, how do i know correct settings on them. i see water inlet to thermostat housing.(is that to control inlet preasure to keep from preventing blowing head gaskets?)
how bout the valves on the bottom of the wet stacks? do you run these wide open?
the boat definelty looks like it was built to go fast.

77 Hawaiian
06-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Make sure throttle linkage moves freely before firing the first time, especially while hooked to the trailer.

lilrick
06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
don't forget the trailer. Check the trailer bearings and grease the bearing buddies.

cave
06-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I would replace all the water lines if its been sitting a while. Nothing like being out in the middle of the lake and having a water hose blow out.

eek-a-RAT
06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
i replaced all the water hoses & fuel lines & filter. i still need to know how much water is to come out the stacks. what happens if they run to dry or to wet?

n8dawg
06-28-2006, 05:48 PM
i replaced all the water hoses & fuel lines & filter. i still need to know how much water is to come out the stacks. what happens if they run to dry or to wet?
I think you might want a fine mist coming out. If there headers that come out over your transom. If they are zoomies I think you run them dry. I cant say forsure.
Depending on how long the boat sat for you may want flush the old gas out of the tanks.
I would leave it tied down to the trailor, back it in the water (just enough to get some water flowing) start it up and run it for about 10 min. keeping an eye on all your gauges and checking everything in and aroung the boat. Then take it out, run it, then when you get closer to the launch ramp shut it off and start it back up. Check everything again.
Then get yourself used to being on these forums.
Post up some pics of everything!!!!!!!!
Happy Boating :cool:

bulldawg art
06-28-2006, 05:51 PM
This was the black and blue one on craigslist right?

eek-a-RAT
06-29-2006, 08:22 AM
This was the black and blue one on craigslist right?
it sure was! i think i got a good deal. i sold my streetbike (gsxr-750) injury forced the sale of my bike.i sold the bike for $6000. i scored the boat for 2/3rds of that plus lien sale hassles. time to slow things down a bit. i think this is the fastest way to go without a helmet.
i scored another jet boat as well but it needs an interior restoration. it is for sale as well. its a 1967 tahiti w/350chevy(shuester).

eek-a-RAT
07-06-2006, 04:26 PM
my first time out was a success but the 2nd was a scare.
i burned up 20 gallons of premium in a lil over 2 hours the first day @ camanche. the lady doesnt like it , oh well! the second outing (discovery bay)was a nightmare. the damn truck started to slide into the water!! it is a manual trans truck. (72 k-5 blazer) i set the e-brake & in first gear??? when i tried to pull out the back tires spun! i had to climb back out & lock the front hubs & put it into 4 wheel drive on the way out! scary! the carb started acting up as well on the boat. i tore into yesterday & found all kinds of crap in the float bowls, the primary & secondary pumps were leakin like a kohler faucet. all fresh & rebuilt now. i will be back out on friday. i will let ya know! i have pixs from both days, i need to learn how to resize pics & i will post them up! thanks for all the input!