PDA

View Full Version : whats a good a/c system

pleasantcat
06-28-2006, 04:53 PM
ok now i've got a good size cabin and can stay the night on the water so, whats the best a/c system for a cat? weight,amp draw etc are all concerns of mine as well as functionality. i've thought of making my own and made a small test unit that worked well for $40 but, will it really work on a boat i dont know.has anyone ran a chiller setup sourcing water from the lake and run it thru an exchanger? did it work well?

Magic34
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
ok now i've got a good size cabin and can stay the night on the water so, whats the best a/c system for a cat? weight,amp draw etc are all concerns of mine as well as functionality. i've thought of making my own and made a small test unit that worked well for $40 but, will it really work on a boat i dont know.has anyone ran a chiller setup sourcing water from the lake and run it thru an exchanger? did it work well?
I know, I know!!!!

Magic34
06-28-2006, 05:09 PM
I know, I know!!!!
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/4368IMG_2996-med.JPG

Magic34
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM
http://www.mmair.com/marine_division/air_conditioning/5_200_btu_cabin_air_conditioner
4.4 amps
Very small unit.
If you are not mechanically semi challenged like me, then you could install this thing in 2 days.
Call John Trotter, he is VP for Mermaid Marine Air and he took great care of me. Tell him I sent you and you are a friend of mine, Michael Yanke (e is silent). He hooked me up pretty good on the cost of the unit and install kit.
John Trotter's # 239-418-0535
You can run this off a Honda EU1000 or plug into the marina.
This was by far the BEST money I have spent on my boat yet. I will never have another boat without A/C. Next boat will have a marine generator for sure.

Magic34
06-28-2006, 05:18 PM
More info that I have written......
I got the 9k BTU unit. It has a programmable thermostat. I do not have a generator built in, but I will be using a Honda EU2000 that I will place on my swim platfrom when in operation (runs 8-9 hours on a single tank of fuel). When at a dock, I just plug it in with an adapter (I dont have shore power) and it is good to go.
You need a pick up hose, which I am running to the transom, and a dump hose which will exit out the side.
So, basically it works like this.
You have a pick up in the rear of the boat with a strainer/filter and pump in the bilge that pushes the water to the unit for cooling. That water goes through the system and dumps out the side.
Then, you have anywhere from 1-4 vents in the cabin, I am doing (1) 8"x4" vent next to the bed that is fully adjustable. Where you place the unit needs to have vents for the return air (hot air) so it can suck it in. I am putting some billet vents in for it. This could be a number of things for it though, depending on your boat. It is an easy task to figure, simply allow air to get back to the unit somehow.
The duct work is only (1) 6" duct for my application, but running others isn't an issue, just depends on your boat again.
I have some friends with cruisers and when tied up to them at Pleasant or Mead, I'll simply plug into them for power and not have to run my genny. When at a marina for the night, I plug in and it will be 72 to whatever I would like for temp. For me, I figure that really the only time I run my personal genny will be at Havasu when in a cove or sandbar.
With the programmable thermo, I can set a time that I want it to go on. So if in a slip, and not staying on the boat, I can program it to turn on to 76 degrees at 7 AM and when I get to the boat at 9 AM, it is nice and cool in there. Most of everything will be hidden in my boat. If you walk into my cabin, you will have no idea that it has A/C unless it is on and 40 degrees cooler than outside.
I went overkill by getting a 9k unit. They make a 5200 BTU unit, that would have done fine, but I went with the 9 instead.
The unit itself weighs about 40 pounds and the genny about another 30. This entire set up is well under 100 pounds.

Jordy
06-28-2006, 10:04 PM
You might also hit up K-whatever Ken. He's a dealer and if you time it right you might get to drill holes in his boat. :D :D :D

Magic34
06-28-2006, 11:16 PM
You might also hit up K-whatever Ken. He's a dealer and if you time it right you might get to drill holes in his boat. :D :D :D
From what I hear, that is going down over the next couple of days.

Jordy
06-29-2006, 12:16 AM
From what I hear, that is going down over the next couple of days.
Yeah, he's supposed to give me a call so there will be pics of me drilling holes in a K-boat. :D :D :D