PDA

View Full Version : Changing a 496 HO Impeller

partytime
06-29-2006, 04:09 AM
With all of the talk about Ultra27Jay's 496 trouble I was wondering just how do you change the impeller on the sea water pump on a 2005 496HO? I read in that thread to remove 3 bolts and two hoses but I see at least 5 bolts holding the pump in place. :confused:
I was also told by the parts dealer that there are two types of sea water pump housings for the 2005 HO, plastic and brass.

SHAKEN Not Stirred
06-29-2006, 05:35 AM
1-800-Call-Aaron........ :idea:
Take the water pump off, split the housing, pull the inpeller out with a set of pliars, inspect the inside of the housing ans sacrificial plate for excessive wear, lube-up the new impeller with a bit of dish soap, force it in, re-assemble and install tighten the belt....
If you suspect any debris in the heat exchanger, you can remove the unit and flush it out too.....
Later,
CJG
:)

phebus
06-29-2006, 05:54 AM
I have found that it is easier to remove the bracket that the water pump attaches to. It is only three bolts (actually, a combination of nuts and bolts). The bolts are far more accesible, and then you can take the pump assembly apart on the bench, making the process much easier.
Just loosen the belt, remove the hoses and sensor plug, and you are ready to go.

partytime
06-29-2006, 06:13 AM
That makes much more sense. I guess I like to do things the hard way... :hammerhea

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 07:36 AM
.....and if you see any vanes missing off of the impeller, it's a good idea to try to collect all the pieces. Check the heat exchanger and try to match up all the bits to complete the puzzle.

Dave C
06-29-2006, 07:37 AM
thanks
I have found that it is easier to remove the bracket that the water pump attaches to. It is only three bolts (actually, a combination of nuts and bolts). The bolts are far more accesible, and then you can take the pump assembly apart on the bench, making the process much easier.
Just loosen the belt, remove the hoses and sensor plug, and you are ready to go.