PDA

View Full Version : Are you sure you wanna be a cop?

MagicMtnDan
06-29-2006, 07:11 AM
Well, are you really sure? (http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1151580512/Deadly_Nature_of_Being_a_Police_Officer)

Ziggy
06-29-2006, 07:19 AM
I know I appreciate what they do and endure.........

MR HARLEY
06-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Im just gonna keep quiet.

riverracerx
06-29-2006, 07:47 AM
Lotta ouches there!

Dave C
06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
like Ron White says "in Texas if you kill someone we will kill you back".... :mad:

boxscore
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
Sorry MMD....Damn hard to watch.

Hardly Satisfied
06-29-2006, 08:02 AM
ouch , that's crazy

MagicMtnDan
06-29-2006, 08:27 AM
Sorry MMD....Damn hard to watch.
You're right it is. I posted it because I have a lot of respect for cops (and hose draggers) and wish them all healthy long lives while they serve and protect us against the bad guys.

Flyinbowtie
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
It was a great career. I wish I could have finished it on my own terms.
MMD, as an almost retired sergeant with a rural Sheriff's office, I appreciate the words.
That link does speak to something that the Police, and Fire Academies need to be spending more time on, IMHO.
Ya see stuff in these lines of work that the rest of the world doesn't, and couldn't believe if they did.
Ya do stuff in these lines of work that the rest of the world simply cannot imagine, no matter how hard Hollywood tries to scare folks in slasher flicks.
For me, it has all run together. 25 years of car wrecks, dead kids, drownings, o.d.'s, suicides, murders, beatings, rapes and other forms of human interaction leave you feeling somewhat lifeless at times. It definitely leaves you with a jaded opinion about human nature.
All that being said, if I was 21, and knew then what I know now at 48, I'd do it all over again, because I know for a fact, and have proof that there are 3 people out there in the world somewhere who's lives I changed for the better.
So it was worth it.

Kilrtoy
06-29-2006, 10:50 AM
I dont understand why someone would put together a video like that

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 11:03 AM
I see it as someone who sees/hears alot more bashing than praise. His way of informing civilians that it's not about ruining a person's day; it's about surviving and helping others do the same.

Kilrtoy
06-29-2006, 11:10 AM
I see it as someone who sees/hears alot more bashing than praise. His way of informing civilians that it's not about ruining a person's day; it's about surviving and helping others do the same.
Reading his quote, I dont see it that way.the highlighted part is what causes me to think this
I put together this compilation of cops getting beaten, shot, ran over, and even killed to remind myself why I'll never be a police officer. Despite most of them being major pricks, you've gotta have respect for what they go through

bignet
06-29-2006, 11:15 AM
All peace officers have my utmost respect..and it's video like this that just doesn't have any real purpose. That's just my opinion.
:crossx:
bignet

probablecause
06-29-2006, 11:22 AM
Just one more reason to throw a fence around the $hithole areas and let them police themselves.

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Despite most of them being major pricks, you've gotta have respect for what they go through
Everyone gets caught occasionally, and they think the person that caught them is the bad guy. Didn't we all scowl at our mom and/or dad when they beat the crap out of us for doing something wrong?
I just don't see it as anything personal. I have seen all of those clips. For some, although unpleasant, it is just reality and keeps hightened awareness.

Beer-30
06-29-2006, 11:30 AM
Just one more reason to throw a fence around the $hithole areas and let them police themselves.
Amen.

blackcloud75
06-29-2006, 11:37 AM
It was a great career. I wish I could have finished it on my own terms.
MMD, as an almost retired sergeant with a rural Sheriff's office, I appreciate the words.
That link does speak to something that the Police, and Fire Academies need to be spending more time on, IMHO.
Ya see stuff in these lines of work that the rest of the world doesn't, and couldn't believe if they did.
Ya do stuff in these lines of work that the rest of the world simply cannot imagine, no matter how hard Hollywood tries to scare folks in slasher flicks.
For me, it has all run together. 25 years of car wrecks, dead kids, drownings, o.d.'s, suicides, murders, beatings, rapes and other forms of human interaction leave you feeling somewhat lifeless at times. It definitely leaves you with a jaded opinion about human nature.All that being said, if I was 21, and knew then what I know now at 48, I'd do it all over again, because I know for a fact, and have proof that there are 3 people out there in the world somewhere who's lives I changed for the better.
So it was worth it.
Flyin' B..........
You're right..........only a few know those experiences
And I am sure there are more than 3 lives you touched out there....
"Thank You for years of service"

Flyinbowtie
06-29-2006, 11:39 AM
Kilr, my dial up didn't do a good job with the video. What I saw was jumpy, to say the least. I read his quote the same way you did. His caveat stating most are pricks was rather revealing. My comments were about our career in general, not the journalistic quality of this guys video.
The guy who made it is a loser with a big L, obviously. Anytime anybody states "Most" of anything/anybody is anything/anyhow, ya gotta know there objectivity is in the tank.. This guy hasn't met, "Most" cops, anymore than he has met, "Most" astronauts. But he is probably preaching to members of his own choir, so his objectivity isn't really going to be called into question.

Flyinbowtie
06-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Haven't been in Bell Gardens since I was about 9.
I'll differ to the gentlemen who have recent experience in the area.. :)
Thanks, BC75

Kilrtoy
06-29-2006, 01:01 PM
Kilr, my dial up didn't do a good job with the video. What I saw was jumpy, to say the least. I read his quote the same way you did. His caveat stating most are pricks was rather revealing. My comments were about our career in general, not the journalistic quality of this guys video.
The guy who made it is a loser with a big L, obviously. Anytime anybody states "Most" of anything/anybody is anything/anyhow, ya gotta know there objectivity is in the tank.. This guy hasn't met, "Most" cops, anymore than he has met, "Most" astronauts. But he is probably preaching to members of his own choir, so his objectivity isn't really going to be called into question.
I agree the guy is a loser and yes I too have seen all of those videos and alot more in person. Hope all is well with you and your new life, I know it must be tuff, knowing that you dont head down to the station anymore...

probablecause
06-29-2006, 01:29 PM
Haven't been in Bell Gardens since I was about 9.
I'll differ to the gentlemen who have recent experience in the area.. :) Thanks, BC75
Other than a good car-jacking earlier, not much has probably changed... :) However, team Long Beach got him shortly thereafter :hammerhea