PDA

View Full Version : Red Rocker's '22 Schiada Update

Schiada Time
06-29-2006, 11:33 AM
As many of you know I bought a '22 Schiada V-drive less motor back in February. After a few months of work hell and personal obligations I have finally had time over the last month to work on it. Unfortunately I discovered dry rot in the transom. The rest of the boat is solid-stringers,floor etc. The boat is at OC boat Repair now getting the transom replaced and glassed all back up. I spent all last Sunday stripping parts off the transom and expect it back in a few weeks to re-polish hardware, drop in a new rudder, hoist my brand new ZZ502 in place, and re-wire the entire boat. I figure another month and a half to two months and I should catch the tail end of the season. Just giving those of you who know me a quick update. Its a Schiada so i cant go wrong.
Red Rocker-formerly Hot Rod Hallett

mondorally
06-29-2006, 11:55 AM
As many of you know I bought a '22 Schiada V-drive less motor back in February. After a few months of work hell and personal obligations I have finally had time over the last month to work on it. Unfortunately I discovered dry rot in the transom. The rest of the boat is solid-stringers,floor etc. The boat is at OC boat Repair now getting the transom replaced and glassed all back up. I spent all last Sunday stripping parts off the transom and expect it back in a few weeks to re-polish hardware, drop in a new rudder, hoist my brand new ZZ502 in place, and re-wire the entire boat. I figure another month and a half to two months and I should catch the tail end of the season. Just giving those of you who know me a quick update. Its a Schiada so i cant go wrong.
Red Rocker-formerly Hot Rod Hallett
Keep on keepin' on! Can't wait to hear that its running.
-Justin

dmontzsta
06-29-2006, 12:05 PM
Nice update Travis, I am sure that boat is going to be awesome when it is finished.

Schiada Time
06-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Trying to stay motivated and positive. I spent last Sunday knee deep in 30-year old rusted hardware, grease, oil, and rotted 32-year old wood but the project is moving along and the engine should be at my friend's shop Friday and after the transom is replaced I have to cut new holes for the exhaust tips, cavitation plate mounts, D-rings clips, cav plate motor arm, re-drill the cav plate holes through bottom, have everything polished and mount it all back up. After that I am plannning to get a wiring harness made, re-plumb the fuel and water, install a rudder, drop the motor in, put the interior back in, give it one hell of a detail, re-do the bearings on the trailer and head for Elsinore for a test day. If anyone is interested in going out that day I'll keep you posted on the date as progress occurs. it would be nice to have another boat on the water as I take her on her maiden voyage.

dmontzsta
06-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Trying to stay motivated and positive. I spent last Sunday knee deep in 30-year old rusted hardware, grease, oil, and rotted 32-year old wood but the project is moving along and the engine should be at my friend's shop Friday and after the transom is replaced I have to cut new holes for the exhaust tips, cavitation plate mounts, D-rings clips, cav plate motor arm, re-drill the cav plate holes through bottom, have everything polished and mount it all back up. After that I am plannning to get a wiring harness made, re-plumb the fuel and water, install a rudder, drop the motor in, put the interior back in, give it one hell of a detail, re-do the bearings on the trailer and head for Elsinore for a test day. If anyone is interested in going out that day I'll keep you posted on the date as progress occurs. it would be nice to have another boat on the water as I take her on her maiden voyage.
Post up when you are ready for the maiden voyage, who knows...my boat may be ready for a maiden voyage of its own by then. If not, I can always bring the cruiser.

v-drive
06-30-2006, 05:59 AM
The guys at oc boat repair do nice work. My daughter just had them redo the stringers and floor in her Lavey. Now she is waiting to have it painted by the guy that I bought my Eliminator from.....v-drive

dmontzsta
06-30-2006, 06:47 AM
The guys at oc boat repair do nice work. My daughter just had them redo the stringers and floor in her Lavey. Now she is waiting to have it painted by the guy that I bought my Eliminator from.....v-drive
That Lavey had to cost a mint to redo huh? how bad were the floors?

Beautiful Noise
06-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Travis,Thanks for the update................I was wondering how you were coming along the other day.Just remember in the end the wait and time spent doing it Right is going to be well worth it :)

Schiada Time
06-30-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks guys. I have some pics but don't know how to post them up. This is a boat I will never sell so it is worth all the time, effort and cash. Eventually I would like to re-do the interior and change the layout to two buckets and a bench and put a nice stereo system in it. Other goal down the line are to purchase a new dual axle Ellis trailer-the old Competitive it has under it is ok but beat up. I re-did the trailer under my old Hallett and it is definitely more cost and time effective to buy a new one. Other than those items I feel like I will be happy with this boat for a few years until there is more FINANCIAL HORSEPOWER to do the interior and get a new trailer. Some new gauges next year would be cool too but the old SW's will have to do for now.
Red Rocker

InKahntrol
06-30-2006, 02:06 PM
Hey Travis... check your PMs.
Dan

v-drive
06-30-2006, 03:39 PM
That Lavey had to cost a mint to redo huh? how bad were the floors?
When I sold her the boat Don the deal was that I would tear it apart and help (teach) her friend how to put it back together. The floors were excellent but the stringers were starting to break loose at the floor. Was not cheap but alot less than we thought. The paint will be started the second week in July. BA kurtis on the boards is doing it and giving her a very fair price. I stripped it all the way down to the bear hull so it could be done right.
The colors and style will be the same except no metalflake and no blue on the back. we hope to have it back together by September. If she had more money I would tell her to dump the olds but she said she is broke after this.
The jet is cool but it is no v-drive....later Ben

Schiada Time
07-06-2006, 12:22 PM
Ok everyone. I got a call from sal at OC Boat Repair today and the trasom is finished. Yesterday I got a call from my buddy's shop where I had the engine shipped and he got a crate from Summitt. Its starting to come together. I am going to have the cavitation plate and hardware re-polished, re-cut all my holes in transom, re-wire her, install new rudder, clean up propeller, and drop the motor in. We are getting closer. Hoping to hit the water middle to late August. WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!

flat broke
07-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Good to hear everything is falling into place Trav. Sal turned that transom repair quick. Sounds like another satisfied OC Boat Repair customer.
Chris

full throttle
07-06-2006, 08:26 PM
We need Pics!!!!!!

MudPumper
07-08-2006, 07:13 PM
Hey Trav, Ran the boat down at BR over the 4th. Thing runs bitchen and reliable. We had a great time cruisin and floating. I get a ton of compliments on the Gel. Ran into a guy in Valencia who said he owned it before the guy you got it from. He couldn't believe how good of shape it was in. He was really happy to see somebody brought it back to life and wanted to buy it off me. Told him it wasn't for sale. I'll be keepin this one for a long time. It ran 75 up river with me, Gina, Cyclone, Jessa and all our coolers and gear.
Got the trailer parts and the papers on the build up. Thanks for sending that stuff. Glad to hear you're making progress on the Cruiser. Talk to you later.

bordsmnj
07-08-2006, 08:02 PM
this is a good thread.
<---has brilliant perception of obvious

Schiada Time
07-10-2006, 09:34 AM
Thanks everyone. She is coming along. Mudpumper-That is cool you ran into a previous owner. Was it a younger guy? The guy Eddie Burch that I bought it from said that he got it from a kid who didn't take the best care of it. Glad to hear she is running awesome for you. 75 with four people and a bunch of gear is impressive. I miss that thing but I am stoked on the Schiada. It was definitely time for a bigger boat with my new family situation and all and the fact that we want to boat Mead 90% of the time. Keep her looking good and running good. Got any pics from the weekend?
Trav

dmontzsta
07-10-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey Travis, are you going to be ready for this weekend? :)
I might be hitting Elsinore with my pops, repo man should have his 19.5 Schiada done, it has a nice 18psi 496, he might bring out his brother and Dad who own a 21' RC and a 18' Hondo...probably going to Paradise Park.

Schiada Time
07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Dmonzsta- Not even close. I still have a fair amount of work to do. anticipating the latter part of August for first test run. i'll keep you posted.
trav