PDA

View Full Version : Jet Ski`s Worst Enemy

3 daytona`s
06-29-2006, 12:43 PM
This has been building for some time now.I see it and hear it eveywhere I go and sure seeing it alot here.The people riding Jet Ski`s are hurting themselves either out of ignorance or plain disregard for others on the water.I feel the time has arrived to make mandatory training testing and licensing.I live on the water in Bullhead and can`t believe some are not killed every week.People on the water are angry people on the shore are angry,if this continues either make them comply or ban them.They are out of control,maybe the decent riders should start to police themselves?

Jyruiz
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
This goes for boaters as well.

Hardin18454
06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
I agree with training and licencing. They selll PWC's to people who have never been let alone driven on the river. Every and I mean EVERY time i go to the river one of these idiots almost crash's into me. It is starting to get flat out scary on the river and this is not the way it should be for those of us that have been going to the river our whole lives.

schlepy
06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
i agree but how much do you think this would cost???? i know price isnt a question for safety. most jet skiers have absolutley no clue. we almost hit a sit down jet skier in parker when is 4 year son was driving a turned right in front of us and he had the nerve to yell at us.
it is getting pretty bad on busy weekends, they are everywhere in parker.

3 daytona`s
06-29-2006, 12:57 PM
I agree to a point,problem is the sheer numbers of ski`s vs boats on the wateris staggering getting worse.On any day here I can sit on the dock and in an hour`s time during the week may very well be less than 6 boats go by and not exagerating when a minimum of 100 plus.It`s not only the way they operate but the numbers are crazy. :confused:

Hardin18454
06-29-2006, 01:00 PM
jyruiz
I agree. I do have to say that in the past 12 plus years of boating that I have only been in 1 or 2 bad situations with other boaters and countless with PWC drivers. That has to say something.

Jyruiz
06-29-2006, 01:09 PM
I do agree that there are a lot of PWC's out there, but you can't license one with out the other.

3 daytona`s
06-29-2006, 01:21 PM
I do agree that there are a lot of PWC's out there, but you can't license one with out the other.
I would love testing and licence for boats as well.If I could not get over 90% on any written and driving test I would quit boating immediatley.I`ll bet over 50% boaters out there could not pass both.Just because you have a new boat and SUV sure doesn`t mean you know anything.I`ve watched countless boaters at Havasu and Katherines that can`t even back the damn thing down the ramp,let alone operating,docking,loading.Then there`s the cortesy factor after sitting in line for over an hour and getting more and more pissed they wait until they are down the ramp to unload the vehicle into the boat,and hold everyone else up :confused:

schlepy
06-29-2006, 01:37 PM
do you think that having a boating license would drop insurance rates??? that would be great....

3 daytona`s
06-29-2006, 01:41 PM
do you think that having a boating license would drop insurance rates??? that would be great....
I would be suprised if they did not come down.

Old Texan
06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Many Austin, TX area lakes have started banned PWCs on the Hoilday Weekends except for Lake Travis and a couple other larger lakes as I understand it.
We were on Lake Austin Memorial Day and no PWCs were allowed. Sure made it nice.
Travis the day prior on the other hand was overrun with lake lice. Due to water levels there were only 2 public ramps open on the southend. At dusk I estimate 150+ boats trying to leave with 3+ plus hour wait. These boats were all in the ramp area by the dam when here comes 4 rental lake lice at full throttle using the boats as a slalom course. Complete idiots.....
Most "ignorant" PWC drivers I see aren't kids, but middle aged idiots that are on some kinda macho mission "Just showin' Off"

nyeti
06-29-2006, 03:25 PM
I think the main problem is age. I nearly killed a 15 year old kid on a stand up last year when he drove right in front of me and he never saw me (until the U-turn and adjustment). THe parents who let teens loose on these things with no supervision are asking to get their kids killed. Most of the problems I have had with lice are the under 25 crowd. There aren't many teen boat owners out there causing issues. When I had a three seater, I was over thirty, kept as far to the right and out of the way as possible, and never turned the thing without looking back first..........I can't say the same for most of what I see out there now.

RAMROD
06-29-2006, 03:29 PM
I think they should have their own "designated area" and not be allowed to leave it. They are a major nuisance to boaters.

hallett21
06-29-2006, 05:18 PM
I would love testing and licence for boats as well.If I could not get over 90% on any written and driving test I would quit boating immediatley.I`ll bet over 50% boaters out there could not pass both.Just because you have a new boat and SUV sure doesn`t mean you know anything.I`ve watched countless boaters at Havasu and Katherines that can`t even back the damn thing down the ramp,let alone operating,docking,loading.Then there`s the cortesy factor after sitting in line for over an hour and getting more and more pissed they wait until they are down the ramp to unload the vehicle into the boat,and hold everyone else up :confused:
what pissesx me off the most is im 15!!! ok and yeah i passed the california boating test. I did it for the hell of it b/c i thought i could get an underage licence. and worst of all is that there are 40 year old guys who cant dolk their boats!!!! How is it that a KID can drive better and have a better head than all these idiots on skis and some on boats. i totally agree with licencing but it has to go both way (PWC and boats). Another point is that you may lecence thezse jet skiers but people are peoplee and u cant change a persons idiocy!!! if there gonna drive like an idiot they probally still wil licence or not. But licences at least make them aware that they are idiots

HocusPocus
06-29-2006, 05:32 PM
this issue gets brought up all the time.. is there a right answer to the problem?? i havn 't heard on yet. If you think the problem is just the PWC's then your missing the big picture. the worst accident of the year so far involved two custom boats loaded with people, i didn't hear anyone screaming to ban these types of boats? anyone with the cash or credit can buy a big shiny boat with loads of power or a $13k dollar PWC that will run over 70 out of the box, that doesn't mean they know how to operate it. the real problem is the people, not the equipment they are on, so how do we go about fixing them??

cave
06-29-2006, 05:41 PM
what pissesx me off the most is im 15!!! ok and yeah i passed the california boating test. I did it for the hell of it b/c i thought i could get an underage licence. and worst of all is that there are 40 year old guys who cant dolk their boats!!!! How is it that a KID can drive better and have a better head than all these idiots on skis and some on boats. i totally agree with licencing but it has to go both way (PWC and boats). Another point is that you may lecence thezse jet skiers but people are peoplee and u cant change a persons idiocy!!! if there gonna drive like an idiot they probally still wil licence or not. But licences at least make them aware that they are idiots
I thought you had to be over 18 to log into Hot Boat forums?

Fire Angler
06-29-2006, 05:45 PM
I think they should start with the rentals. Anyone who rents a jet ski or a boat should have to complete some sort of training before they can rent.
I know a lot of boat and sea doo owners drive very recklessly too, but it needs to start some where.

3 daytona`s
06-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Or at least have spell check :)

hallett21
06-29-2006, 06:38 PM
nope

Krazy K
06-29-2006, 07:12 PM
In Oregon, it is mandatory that ALL boaters have in their possession, a boater card. It shows that you have taken a written test with a score of , i think, 85% or better. I wouldn't even take my boat out to Havi or Parker unless it was midweek before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.

Pro Max
06-29-2006, 07:20 PM
I completly hate personal watercraft, I know there are some responsible owners out there butt for the most part they are a danger. I gaurente you 99% of the fuc4er5 who piss me off on the water for whatever reason are on PWC. Weather there smoking up the channel or cutting accross your path with blinders on there pissing me off. Maybee they should have a special lake like Perris or something only open to PWC's and not boats. They could hit each other till they all quit. Kinda like my idea of letting all the gangs live in Idaho free of charge so they could kill each other off. :idea:

YeLLowBoaT
06-29-2006, 07:41 PM
I don't think banning a type of water craft is the answer. I do think that if we banned alcohol we would see a big drop in the numbers of wrecks.
licensing would not really help that much IMO. Since every 1 I know that has hit/hit by a PWC, was not the owner of the craft.( myself include in that group...) I also don't think banning rental is the way to go. (I have rented jet skis. I am sure that lots of ppl here have.)
If you report every collision to the proper authorities, It will work itself out. I mean would you let some 1 else drive your boat after you just got sued for letting some 1 else use it that got in a wreck?

Boatcop
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
About 20 States require some sort of training or education to operate a boat. Any boat (PWCs included) Some are outright licenses. Others, like Oregon and Nevada, only require completion of a boating course.
I predict that within 5 years, all States will have some sort of certification program in place. They may be for all boaters, some might require them by age, starting with under 18 and phasing it in for older boaters over several years.
The mechanism for this certification is already in place. Here in the Parker/Havasu area there are at least 18 classes a year. Every month in Havasu, and every other month in Parker. So far this year we have cancelled 2 classes in Parker because no one signed up, and those who did didn't show up. We held one last Saturday with 12 students. The most we've had in one of our classes in years. 3 of those were court ordered. 2 were family of one of our Officers, and another was one of our officers.
That left 6 people who attended because they wanted to educate themselves on boating rules, regulations, and safe practices. Our classes are free. Havasu's are $5 per family. They last approx 8 hours, and certifies the student for boat operation in every state in the nation. Many insurance companies offer up to a 25% discount for attending the class.
I've been teaching these classes for 30 years. It hasn't changed since my first class. Everyone is interested and thinks it's a good idea, but when it comes right down to it, it isn't that important to them.
There hasn't been one person who attended one of my classes who hasn't walked out with more knowledge that when they walked in. One student a couple of years ago happens to own his own boat shop, writes a column for Hot Boat Magazine (Yes, they really do have a magazine) and is one of their test boat drivers. He was amazed at how much he didn't know, even after over 40 years in the business.
My question to all of you reading this is, what's your excuse for not taking a boating class?

No Name
06-29-2006, 07:48 PM
My question to all of you reading this is, what's your excuse for not taking a boating class?
I can’t seem to stay sober long enough to take the class. :D :D

YeLLowBoaT
06-29-2006, 07:51 PM
I have take it 2x...
1st was when I was 12( was requried by my parents/grandparents b4 I was allowed to drive the boat) 2nd was 4 years ago.

shueman
06-29-2006, 08:05 PM
Well said, as usual.... :cool:

MAINEVENT
06-29-2006, 10:38 PM
This is subject that often gets brought up... and yes i do agree... but how would boaters in general (boats and PWC) be able to start something like this??? I owned a Sea Doo when i was a teenager up untill i was about 20 then i bought my first boat although i was raised going to the river i see some sort of advantage to that IMO if you were taught well and know the courtesy and boating rules nobody should have a problem but seriously does a 10,11,12 year old etc... have the right common sense and reaction knowledge to avoid a serious accident??? I dont think so... i bought my sea doo @ the age of 15 and for 2+ years my dad would NOT let me go out to open water by myself unless i was following him and stayed behind his boat... Good Idea IMO, And not to mention that some of these PWC go 60 to 70+mph... thats just crazy... Another thing i think that had a huge impact on this is the financing makes it way too easy for some people to go from non boating to buying a 27+ Boat with big HP when they have never driven a boat period... So My Question again how could this get started???? Cause we have all had people close to us injured or unfortunately killed by this...

cave
06-30-2006, 06:35 AM
back in the day buying a quad meant going though a off road riding course. You had hands on training and if you didn't show control you had to take it again. This is no longer the case. Today anyone can buy one and kill them selves.
I hope it happens in the boat and jet ski world. I now have a painted boat since a uninsured jet ski turned into me. Bout killed him and scared the Fock outa me. Not much you can do if the family of the kid doesn't have squat. Thats when my insurance said by by to me because of OT headers too. :crossx:

Jyruiz
06-30-2006, 08:04 AM
I would like to take one, anybody know any going on around the LA area?

RAMROD
06-30-2006, 08:15 AM
I think a ***boat Online Boating Safety Course would be cool, and you get a star in your avatar when you've successfully completed it. :)

CBadDad
06-30-2006, 08:57 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57686

CBadDad
06-30-2006, 08:58 AM
I took the online course, does that count? I bet I spent a total of 8 hours doing it.

hotlavey
06-30-2006, 09:04 AM
I can’t seem to stay sober long enough to take the class. :D :D
Then stay the hell off the water.

schlepy
06-30-2006, 09:24 AM
I took the online course, does that count? I bet I spent a total of 8 hours doing it.
i took the online course too and got an A+. dropped my insurance rate a bit when i showed them the certificate. :) :)

Froggystyle
06-30-2006, 09:54 AM
nope
Wrong. You do have to be 18....

AZJD
06-30-2006, 10:11 AM
This is one of those topics that is very frustrating. I am all for people having fun, but come on! I will just say this....when I am driving I am always on the look out for the suicide bombers. If I don't think they see me I definately slow down, however even when I see them look over their shoulder and see me they still cut right in front of me.
This may ruffle some feathers but too bad. If it comes down to my saftey or theirs.....guess who wins. I will be a moter boatin' sun of a bitch right the hell over a jet skiier. I am not jeopardizing my saftey or anyone elses' on my boat for someone elses ignorance......the boat can be fixed....myself or my passengers may not be able to.
Be safe this weekend!

Jyruiz
06-30-2006, 10:15 AM
Here a fact, all jets suck. :)

voodoomedman
06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
I have taken an online one and studied very hard to really learn everything. I must admit I never did it with my jet ski but I did it before I ever took the boat out. I have always used common sense and been safe though and knew the basics. One thing I always used and still use and to me is the most important rule and supersedes all is to maintain the furthest safest distance possible. 50 ft is a minimum not something you do all the time. Also keep your eyes and ears open and aware. I do need to do the course again just as a refresher for some of the more minute details though.
Here's a little something to help everyone. If everyone follows these tips it will be much safer out there.
Aim High in Steering
Get the Big Picture
Keep Your Eyes Moving
Leave Yourself an Out
Make Sure They See You

CBadDad
06-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Here's a little something to help everyone. If everyone follows these tips it will be much safer out there.
Aim High in Steering
Get the Big Picture
Keep Your Eyes Moving
Leave Yourself an Out
Make Sure They See You
Good stuff there, I thought I'd copy it so everyone can read it again...
But the bottom line is that requiring a license to operate a PWC and/or a boat won't change a thing. Look how many idiots are driving cars and motorcyles on the streets and most of them have drivers licenses. Just 'cuz some idiot can past a test in arabic doesn't mean he should be allowed to drive a car (or boat) any more than a 13 year old should have a baby because she had her period, but I digress...
Attitudes are what need changing and until they do stupid and dangerous $#!t is gonna keep on happening. No two ways about it, and I don't know how to get peeps to change their 'tude. Guess I'll just keep on watching my six. :crossx:

hallett21
06-30-2006, 09:19 PM
you can do it at home if you want

hallett21
06-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Wrong. You do have to be 18....
then y is my age set at march 6, 1991 ???? :D