PDA

View Full Version : Trailer a/c question? On when gone?

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
No Regrets and I just had lunch and he said he leaves his air set at 90 all the time when he is gone. I turn mine off because I thought it would run 24/7 and break or break my bank account. He has a ground unit and I have two roof airs. The front and middle room have a thermostat and the master has it's own. I am confused and need some info on what you guys do. I have a 44 foot Highline park trailer. Brian seems to think it will only run from 9-6ish and my trailer will be damaged if I don't. He sais some other people run their double roof airs like that too. ??????????????????????????????????????????
Should I just leave it at 90 and roll???? Btw I leave three ceiling fans on too.

slink
06-29-2006, 02:36 PM
I've got duals on a Fleetwood 37'. One ducted/controlled by thermostat and the second is non ducted. My problem is the none ducted blows right down onto the thermostat which sometimes shuts off the ducted one. I have never left either of them on when I'm gone, nor do I know anyone in my park that does. I would be afraid of burning out the compressor and having a huge $$$ bill each month.

Jyruiz
06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
I leave mine at 90 in my Havi house. This way, when I get there, the AC does not have to work for hours trying to get the house to 78. Also, the grout can crack and rubber seals can crack (mainly cause I leave the water off) and cause a leak, also the fridge won't have to work as hard. When I first purchased the house, it got to 127 in side, took for ever to cool down and I was afraid the AC unit would break down running for so long. The difference in my electric bill is only $25.00 more a month.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-29-2006, 02:43 PM
That is funny that someone did not think of the thermostat position first LOL
I have had plenty of fleetwoods and they all have little things like that.

MrsSigEpMock
06-29-2006, 03:26 PM
On our old 26' WW we used to leave the a/c at 90 no probs, not a big bill either.
Now we have the Senca, and same thermostat positioning issue. We do not leave this one on.
One ? we have is:
Do they make a thermostat that goes above 90? I'd like to install one that goes to 100 so it isn't running all day, or at least make me feel like it isn't running all day. Can we replace these lever type thermos with digital/programable ones?
I hope this isn't off topic but it the digital ones may work for you guys with park models.

Captain Dan
06-29-2006, 03:35 PM
No Regrets and I just had lunch and he said he leaves his air set at 90 all the time when he is gone. I turn mine off because I thought it would run 24/7 and break or break my bank account. He has a ground unit and I have two roof airs. The front and middle room have a thermostat and the master has it's own. I am confused and need some info on what you guys do. I have a 44 foot Highline park trailer. Brian seems to think it will only run from 9-6ish and my trailer will be damaged if I don't. He sais some other people run their double roof airs like that too. ??????????????????????????????????????????
Should I just leave it at 90 and roll???? Btw I leave three ceiling fans on too.
I have a 37' Sandpiper at the Beachcomber and I set my AC at 90 and leave it on all the time, same as my other friends in the park. Been doing it like that for 5 years or so. My bill is about $80-90 a month. One weekend last summer it got to about 122 outside during the day, and my ac circuit blew from park overload. When I got there from my drive from home, it was 138 inside, melted a candle on the stove and the reefer couldn't keep up. I also put buckets of water in the trailer when it's dry to keep the wallpaper from peeling. About 1.5 gallons evaps from each of those buckets in a week and a half. I'm leaving the ac on to preserve my trailer. Ac unit replacements aren't that expensive, and I haven't lost one yet.

ChumpChange
06-29-2006, 03:42 PM
When we first had our Havasu house, we did not leave the AC on. When we got back, our candles were melted and some of the wood furniture in the house was warped. After that, we just left it at 90 all the time.
Just don't leave candles or anything else that will melt.

Trailer Park Casanova
06-29-2006, 03:47 PM
The trick, if ya can, is to get a little swamp cooler and let it run.
The little swampers run about 3 amps draw, the A/C is about 16 to 26 amps.
A BFD on the elect bill.
If ya run the swamper noon to sundown off an elect outlet timer (available at the grocery store gadget wall), then it's even cheaper to use.
The swamp cooler is enough to keep things not too outta whack when no one is there. Even on humid days,, it still maintains enough for a vacant RV.
Helps prevent dry rot too.

bigkyle
06-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Park model at the Beachcomber, lever type thermostat set all the way to the right (90 degrees) when we're gone. Actually, I tilt the thermostat housing just a bit -- so it's more like 95 degrees.
I'd guess it adds another $20-30 a month to my bill.
I tried the digitial thermostat and it gave me nothing but trouble. Damn thing quit working before the season ended so I went back to the trusty old lever type.

voodoomedman
06-29-2006, 08:24 PM
I leave mine at 90 in my Havi house. This way, when I get there, the AC does not have to work for hours trying to get the house to 78. Also, the grout can crack and rubber seals can crack (mainly cause I leave the water off) and cause a leak, also the fridge won't have to work as hard. When I first purchased the house, it got to 127 in side, took for ever to cool down and I was afraid the AC unit would break down running for so long. The difference in my electric bill is only $25.00 more a month.
I do the same. I also leave a bucket of water in each room and a couple in the garage to evaporate and leave a bit of moisture in the air so things don't dry out.

slowinhavasu
06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I recommend to all of my out of town clients to leave there stats at 90F. I have never had a complaint about the electric bills, and yes it is a lot less work on the a/c to pull it down to your comfort level when most of the heat load is allready pulled out..
Remember ALL the heat in the walls ,couches, wood , beds etc. has to be removed when you let it get real hot...
And yes, I have dig. stats that go over 90F.....

lalhc
06-29-2006, 10:41 PM
We leave ours off at the trailer when we're not there.

FREIND OF AA AND TA
06-30-2006, 05:34 AM
Anybody else?