PDA

View Full Version : Another driveline angle to look at.

YumaBiesemeyer
06-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Just finished with my railkit. I had some issues. The closest I can get is about 5 degrees on the driveline. My stringers have been cut down in front of the motor so the seats will sit lower. Made the rail kit a pain to install. I could not run the rails even with the stringers. I had to shim the back of the motor up 1/2 inch to get the driveline at this angle. I could shim more in the rear of the motor but then the crank and pump with not be on a even plane. They are very close now. What do you guys think? Not as clean as your's 396. Your's looks real nice.

YumaBiesemeyer
06-29-2006, 02:48 PM
Duh. forgot pic.

XClutchboy725
06-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Lots of others here will probably say that looks excessive, but you about where I'm at with mine. My motor and pump turn just over 6k with no issues. Been that way for years now....

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-29-2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the compliment;) Thats alot of angle.Raise the rear 1/4 inch at a time. Just leave the front for now. Raise the rear a 1/4inch and the front 1/2 and post a pic. That will be a stepping stone. My motor ended up having a little more angle in it that the old "plate&feet" set up. Also make sure the driveshaft is atleast 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch from the thrust bearring. One last thing, use lock nuts and antisieze. I just got done drilling a bolt because it siezed up on me. Blow each bolt off with air to remove any drilling dust etc. That will lock a nut up on there and you will be drilling.

YumaBiesemeyer
06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the responses. I have actually driven the boat with much worse than this. I am very anal when it comes to this stuff so I will probably keep shimming. Thanks for the tip about the antisieze. I learned a vailuable lesson sevearl years ago on a Hallet I had. All four motor mount bolts were stripped. :mad: The neighborhood got to know the real me that day. Still looken for that 9/16 wrench. :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
that 9/16 wrench is going to be your best friend:)

Devilman
06-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Just finished with my railkit. I had some issues. The closest I can get is about 5 degrees on the driveline. My stringers have been cut down in front of the motor so the seats will sit lower. Made the rail kit a pain to install. I could not run the rails even with the stringers. I had to shim the back of the motor up 1/2 inch to get the driveline at this angle. I could shim more in the rear of the motor but then the crank and pump with not be on a even plane. They are very close now. What do you guys think? Not as clean as your's 396. Your's looks real nice.
Looks about like mine other than the direction of the angle. My driveline runs at a downward angle to the pump. Been like that since I got it. No problems with mine & I couldn't change it if I wanted to so there it be...... :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812driveline.jpg

460 jus getn it
06-30-2006, 10:44 AM
Looks about like mine other than the direction of the angle. My driveline runs at a downward angle to the pump. Been like that since I got it. No problems with mine & I couldn't change it if I wanted to so there it be...... :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2812driveline.jpg
Thats about the angle of mine. Havent had a problem yet.

76elimspecial
06-30-2006, 05:31 PM
I Just Got Done With Mine. After Consulting With A Very Knowledgeable Jet Builder The Problem You Run Into With Too Much Of An Angle Is Internal Pump Problems. Clearances, Etc. Because The Driveline Is So Short On Jets They Should Be As Straight As Possible. Soooooo....... If You Can Still Adjust You Probably Should. Im No Expert, But I Do Have Good Resources.

YumaBiesemeyer
06-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the replies. I did some more shimming today. 3/8 front and rear. It is 3 degrees now and I can live with it. I am sure it would have been fine. I never had any problems running it at more angle than this, just wanted it as close as I could with the rail kit installed. Thanks again.

Bottle Fed
07-03-2006, 09:23 PM
If you want a local professionals opinion, take it over to Vic at Desert Yacht Performance marine there in yuma. He is the local guru with 30 years of boating and racing expierence. He's who we call Yoda. Very honest and he will take care of you with anything you need. Look him up or If you want his # I will send it to ya.
Jeff

YumaBiesemeyer
07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have known Vic for awhile. Great guy. He is the jetboat god around here. I did pic his brain some. I try not to bother him to much this time of year if I can help it. He is very busy. He has never refused to help know matter how busy he is though.

Bottle Fed
07-08-2006, 10:50 PM
thats the absolute truth. I would have been surprised if you said you hadn't heard of him. good luck on your boat and maybe we will see ya out at the sandbar.