PDA

View Full Version : Sportmaster lower......HELP

MONEYFURNOTHIN
06-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Just drained the oil in my lower. Oil look good, except a litte ( a few swirls ) of milk. I already blew the lower once. Have lakelands vent kit in it now. The oil being drained might have 20 hrs or so on it. Should i panic? Like i said there is just a small amount of milky crap. Thanks in advance

sleekcraft137
06-29-2006, 08:25 PM
sounds pretty normal, i get a few drops of water when i change my gear oil. .....you might want to replace the shift shaft seal.

MONEYFURNOTHIN
06-29-2006, 10:15 PM
sounds pretty normal, i get a few drops of water when i change my gear oil. .....you might want to replace the shift shaft seal.
I just had it rebuilt last april, but i suppose a shift shaft seal and some labor could be some cheap ins. im gonna check it again tommorow when i get off the water.

Greg_Moss
07-05-2006, 06:02 AM
Have lakelands vent kit in it now.
What kind of a vent kit do they have? Never heard of it or seen it. I have seen vents for helping purge air while filling but never one to be left in while the unit is under operation. Not that I would use such a thing I was just curious what it was.

Towndrunk
07-05-2006, 07:06 AM
My vent kit is a 150lb body bag and an endless supply of anger. :mad:

MONEYFURNOTHIN
07-05-2006, 07:34 AM
What kind of a vent kit do they have? Never heard of it or seen it. I have seen vents for helping purge air while filling but never one to be left in while the unit is under operation. Not that I would use such a thing I was just curious what it was.
Its a kit they created to help relieve pressure from building up in your lower, causing you to blow your shift shaft seal and ingest water. There is a line that runs out of the top of your lower up into your cowling.

Greg_Moss
07-05-2006, 07:40 AM
If they shim them and set them up right you shouldn't have to do that. I build a ton of lower units every year and NEVER had to have something like that for any of them. It's funny I was just wondering what it was and what they thought it should be for. :)

STV_Keith
07-05-2006, 08:40 AM
I have heard of these vent kits from Lakeland in Havasu for the 3 liters. Is your motor a 2.5 or 3.0?

MONEYFURNOTHIN
07-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I have heard of these vent kits from Lakeland in Havasu for the 3 liters. Is your motor a 2.5 or 3.0?
3.0 here

STV_Keith
07-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Greg, I have heard of quite a few of the 3ltr guys getting this. I know Jordy on here has a pair of 300x's with Sportmasters on a Spectre 30 that had the propshaft seals fail several times before doing the vent kits. I guess it has something to do with running them hard for a time in the cold water? Got me. Never seen it on a 2.5, but have heard about it with the 3.0's

Greg_Moss
07-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Keith I have never heard of anybody doing this. No one around here does it. Never had a call for it either. ussually if the seals are installed correctly and the unit pressure tests and the gear lash is set right you don't need any venting of the gear case. I would imagine that the milk comes from condensation being pulled back into the lower unit as the lube cools it will contract and draw air which is moist from the condensation of the air around the cooling powerhead. Just a guess we don't do things like that around here though. once they are pressure tested and filled with lube we don't have problems with seals popping out unless there is a bad bearing or a bent shaft. i'd like to see a picture of the kit if anybody has one.

Kilrtoy
07-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Keith I have never heard of anybody doing this. No one around here does it. Never had a call for it either. ussually if the seals are installed correctly and the unit pressure tests and the gear lash is set right you don't need any venting of the gear case. I would imagine that the milk comes from condensation being pulled back into the lower unit as the lube cools it will contract and draw air which is moist from the condensation of the air around the cooling powerhead. Just a guess we don't do things like that around here though. once they are pressure tested and filled with lube we don't have problems with seals popping out unless there is a bad bearing or a bent shaft. i'd like to see a picture of the kit if anybody has one.
It was explained to me that it is a problem on Havasu due to the long lenghts of the lake and the heat...., it seems it is a west coast thing, from what i have been told

Boatmaster
07-06-2006, 04:59 PM
If this is the first lube change since the rebuild, they may have used mercury special 101 grease on the seals. This is a mint green grease that can cause the swirls in the lube you are talking about. Just a thought, ask your builder this question.

HavasuBarney
07-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Lakeland does use green grease and it will cause some swirls.
The vent kit is used on the big cats with twins spinning big wheels and putting a large load on the lowers. Add the heat and they were popping way too many seals and needed a way to release the pressure.
Completely unnecessary for most single engine applications.

Jordy
07-07-2006, 05:31 PM
The vent kit is used on the big cats with twins spinning big wheels and putting a large load on the lowers.
Like a 30' Spectre with a pair of 300X's spinning 15x32" wheels??? ;)
Apparently before it was done, according to the previous owners, about every other trip out, the shaft seals had to be replaced. Haven't had any problems with mine since the kits were done, again, before I bought it.
Jordy <---- knocking on wood right now. :D
p.s. Hey Barn, hope all is well with you bud. ;)

HavasuBarney
07-08-2006, 07:53 AM
All is well Jordy, thanks for asking bud. :)
Back in the day, I remember seeing your boat (prior to you) being towed in EVERY trip out. It may have been the cause of the vent research to begin with.

Greg_Moss
07-08-2006, 01:19 PM
Man we have boats here with all different size motors and none of them have vents on the gear cases. I'm talking about Scarrabs and skaters with 3.0L that run miles and miles at a time across the bay and gulf and none of them hyave seals that pop out. I am sure that is as hard on the lower unit as Havasu but for longer periods of time. I sure would like to tear into one them lowers that has to have the vents and see if it's set up right. Got to be something wrong or it would of had a vent from Mercury.

HavasuBarney
07-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Greg,
Don't pretend even for a moment that you know how we roll.
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15328&stc=1

Greg_Moss
07-09-2006, 06:39 AM
BArney I don't even try to under stand how y'all roll out there. It's just real funny that the only place inthe world that I have heard of lower units needing vents is there. Believe me though you are not the only people to run the hell out of a boat. I do know that around here they get run across the bay in some very rough conditions that are very hard on things for miles and miles and nobody has to vent thier lower units. It's about 25 miles from Morgans point to the Galveston Yacht club and I know several that have done it at WOT many times and NEVER had to install a vent in their gear cases. So why is it that the only place in the world that has to do that is Havasu? It's just as hot here as it is there and the water is just as wet. :2purples:

Towndrunk
07-09-2006, 10:00 AM
BArney I don't even try to under stand how y'all roll out there. It's just real funny that the only place inthe world that I have heard of lower units needing vents is there. Believe me though you are not the only people to run the hell out of a boat. I do know that around here they get run across the bay in some very rough conditions that are very hard on things for miles and miles and nobody has to vent thier lower units. It's about 25 miles from Morgans point to the Galveston Yacht club and I know several that have done it at WOT many times and NEVER had to install a vent in their gear cases. So why is it that the only place in the world that has to do that is Havasu? It's just as hot here as it is there and the water is just as wet. :2purples:
Greg, It's called my lake is on the Ca and AZ border and we have more money than brains so by god we need something to spend it on and if LAKELAND marine says it's so then goddamit, it's true. Now let me spend gobs of money on stupid shit and leave me the h-ell alone.
Now, me talking. My shit's too small for the big wash bowl so I don't bother going over there. F-uck, I dont go anywhere anymore. I'm waiting to die here so .......................My step daughter hates me and my wife likes the dog and I just may ride off into the sunset on my murder sycle BUT not before I destroy every f-ucking thing I have wasting away in my garage. I may flip out like UT and take a bulldozer to all my f-uckin boat and motors but first let me check my stash of valium and ludes. The final tally will be the time indicator on how long any of this s-hit has left. I shoulda married a nigger then it would all make sense. Watermelon on the counter. What the f-ucks that all about anyway?? Now should I trade my GMC for an Escalade? F-uckit.
I gotta go now cause I ave an appointment at Lakeland for a new trickle cycle injection setup. I hear they are the shnizzle!!

Greg_Moss
07-09-2006, 06:13 PM
Ron you been talking to T-rex to much :220v: