PDA

View Full Version : Dolphining at 90 m.p.h.

warlock25
01-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Just before christmas i read one of these boards that mentioned someone had a 25 foot warlock that would dolphin around 80-90 mph. I wanted to reply but couldn't find the link, might be off the boards already. Anyway, I also have a 25' warlock with a blown 502 that has had this problem at around 90 mph. I'm taking the motor apart now and re-building it to a blown 560. I'm hoping the extra h.p. will power me through the dolphining stage. It didn't seem to do it as sever when the motor was fresh, but as the motor has gotten tired(9 years old) it has gotten impossible to drive through. I'm also considering a stand off box. Has anyone had any experience with this fix? I don't want to spend the extra dollars if it's not going to make a sugnificant difference. I'm really hoping the extra horse power will work. Any feed back will be appreciated. Hope to have this project completed before havasu warms back up. see you all out there! John(warlock 25)

waterbum
01-02-2002, 08:48 AM
I think you may be talking about me.I mounted a set of fixed tunnel tab's on my sxt and it was a deffinent improvment although it didn't completley cure the problem. I still have some experimenting to do concerning verticle adjustments of the plates.Right now their set a quarter inch above the bottom of the tunnel's.Made the boat ride flatter and resulted in more stern lift also picked up a little speed.I built these myself and can give you more insight if you wish.I have two strings on this subject,hull blueprinting for cat's and tunnel tab's,niether resulted in much info.The Bum

warlock25
01-02-2002, 06:01 PM
waterbum, I also had tabs installed a couple of years ago however the results were so minor that I removed them. They were hydraulic tabs and no matter what position they were in it still porposed. very little difference. I've been told to power through the porpose but couldn't. I'll let you know if the engine upgrade to a blown 560 does the trick. I should gain approx. 300 H.P., so I should be able to drive through it.
Thanks for your reply- What does your sxt look like and where do you boat? Ours is teal and purple and cranberry with a white base. Most of our boating is at Havasu. Take care-John

waterbum
01-02-2002, 06:48 PM
Mine is blue fades that go into a sunburst pattern over the deck and down the sides,back half of the boat is white.So far all my boating has been at Raystown Lake here in Pa..My intentions are to bolt on a procharger as soon as I can talk the cruiser queen into it,she seems to think the boat is fast enough.Would love to hear all the particular's on your boat.Seems the porpoise thing is a common problem with our cats.Would love to show up in your neck of the woods someday. The Bum

shiznit
01-03-2002, 09:55 AM
I too have a blown 25' Warlock Cat. My boat is mainly white with red stripes on the top that run over the lid in the rear. As far as the porposing in the 80-90 range. It has a lot too do with the conditions you are driving in. Of course with any tunnel cat if you are in perfectly flat conditions, no chop and no wind, you will have a higher tendency to bounce because no air is being trapped under the boat causing it to lift for more air.
My 25' Warlock has 775HP dynoed with a 28 pitch prop that has very little porpoise if driven properly and in the ideal conditions. Don't think that more HP will eliminate it completely. All that is gonna do is get you to porpoise sooner.
John, I have seen you in Havasu quite a few times. Next time you are out there look for me and we can shoot the shit about our similar boats. Good luck with the power upgrade. Don't forget to beef up the drive if you already haven't done so. I've blew a drive 2 seasons ago doing exactly what you are doing as far as the power up goes.
Anyways good luck and hope to meet you this season and maybe have a cold one or two.
Peace out,
Shiznit "Rob"

warlock25
01-03-2002, 06:30 PM
shiznit, thanks for the reply- I'm looking into the new b-max for an outdrive- thanks for the advise- will definitly be looking for you this summer to share war stories and cold ones with. Lets hope this winter goes by fast. warlock25 (john)

shiznit
01-03-2002, 07:25 PM
John,
Good to here you are going with the B-max. Haven't heard to many complaints with it as of yet. When do you think you will be done with everything? That way I can keep an eye out for that big dog. Lookin forward to this season. Can't come soon enough for me. What year is your hull? 93? I have a 91. Are you running a AV-92 mix? Always into meeting someone with pretty much the same set up. Cold ones for sure.
Peace out,
Rob

warlock25
01-03-2002, 07:59 PM
Shiznit(rob) the engine is almost back together. It's a blown 560cu.in. running 8 lbs of boost with a rev limiter at 6700 r.p.m's. Av gas only from hear on out. The blower is getting new teflon strips and being polished. I've been talking to mr.pumps about acquiring a b-max from him. right now I'm not sure if I'll be running a 28 or 30 pitch bravo1 - lab finished. At this point the motor is in Whittier, Ca. the Out drive is at a friends house in Havasu, the apolstery is in a shop in havasu- my poor gutted hull is in my garage, and my wife is threating divorce if I don't get this whole thing done by march 1 (of this year) But for sure we will be out there at the first signs of 90+ degrees even if she has to paddle. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gifSee you there. John
[This message has been edited by warlock25 (edited January 03, 2002).]

WILDMAN
01-03-2002, 08:35 PM
I've got a 21ft :iberator tunnel with twin 260's. It used to porpoise from 65-85, but if I stayed in it, it would quit and run fine up to 120. Alot of shorter boats with alot of weight in the rear, like a big motor or rear seat passengers, will cause it to porpoise bad. I moved my twin batterys up to the nose, and presto! no more porpoising at any speed! Try putting some weight in the nose. I tested with 50 lb bags of fertilizer till I figuered it out. It did'nt slow me down at all. good luck WILDMAN

warlock25
01-06-2002, 08:13 AM
waterbum, I saw a 28 warlock on the cover of the January 2000 Hot Boat Mag. which had the sunburst pattern like yours in red over a white base. I'll be looking for your's at Havasu this summer. You need to take the "Cruiser Queen" on a western boating vacation and hook up with Shiznit and Myself. She might not ever want to go back!

warlock25
01-06-2002, 08:22 AM
Shiznit, Sorry I forgot to answere your question regarding year. Your right, I do have a 93, You must really know your boats! Or maybe the gel design gives it away. We almost always lunch out of Windsor Beach. (They have the annual pass for a very reasonable price)then head for the sand bar or topac if the sand bar is closed or under water. Absolutly will be looking for your Red and white warlock this summer. John http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif I'd like to see a picture of your boat. I'd post one of mine but I can't figure out how on this forum. I If you post your e-mail address I'll send you a picture. or write to warlock25@msn.com
[This message has been edited by warlock25 (edited January 06, 2002).]

shiznit
01-06-2002, 09:46 AM
John,
I too launch at Windsor every time. It's by far the easiest and cheapest to get in and out of with out the huge hassles of the island. On weekends we usually chill in the channel for an hour then head north as well towards the holy land (sandbar). I always beach it on the north side of the sandbar right when you pull up to it. Last night I ran into a few friends of mine at Supercross that said they are fiending to go out to Havasu pretty soon. Lets pray for some damn heat soon. I can't wait much longer. I'm pretty good at guessing the year on boats like ours. I've seen yours out there many times. This year I'll say whats up for sure and we can put down a few. Looking forward to the season. My liver is doing some push ups right now getting it ready.
Peace out,
Shiznit