PDA

View Full Version : Lakers News. :)

dmontzsta
06-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Banks' agent, Mike Higgins, said the 24-year-old wants the full mid-level exception for five years, for a total of $29 million.
Higgins, aware that the Lakers were unable to sign Antonio Daniels for the mid-level last year because they offered just two years, said Banks will have Minnesota and several other teams vying for him this summer.
"If somebody offers the mid-level for five years to Marcus and the Lakers offer two, it's going to be tough for the Lakers no matter how much Marcus likes the Lakers," Higgins said by phone.
[Bobby]Jackson has told friends he'd love to play for the Lakers. But the Lakers question the 33-year-old's durability: He has often been injured in his nine-year career, and he's only once played as many as 81 games in a regular season.
"I would think that they would want a veteran guard who has playoff experience, and Bobby has that," Jackson's agent, Andy Miller, said by phone.
Cassell has said he wants to return to the Clippers and is willing to accept a one-year deal for $7.5 million with incentives. He would take a two-year deal for $10 million from the Lakers. But they are hesitant to sign Cassell because he'll be 37 next season.
The Lakers also have their biannual exception of about $1.65 million; they could break up the mid-level and use it on several players.
"A mid-level, at five years earning 10 percent (more) a year, is a good number," Kupchak said. "And there are a lot of players out there that would be enticed by that type of number. We have the ability to do that.
"Are there players out there that deserve the mid-level? Yeah, there's a couple of guys. But I don't know if we'll end up using it."

dmontzsta
06-30-2006, 06:58 AM
Why does Cassell want more to play for the clippers? but he will take less to play for the Lakers...hmmm... :)

Jyruiz
06-30-2006, 07:11 AM
Why does Cassell want more to play for the clippers? but he will take less to play for the Lakers...hmmm... :)
Because he would be guaranteed 10 mil instead of 7.5, even if he had to play two years to get it.
And Banks is a good defensive point guard, but he has a horrible jump shot, and the Lakers have enough players with bad jump shots, why add another. I would not spend the full MLE on him, I don't know if any other team will either.

dmontzsta
06-30-2006, 07:18 AM
Because he would be guaranteed 10 mil instead of 7.5, even if he had to play two years to get it.
And Banks is a good defensive point guard, but he has a horrible jump shot, and the Lakers have enough players with bad jump shots, why add another. I would not spend the full MLE on him, I don't know if any other team will either.
I really do not think the Lakers will make a move. If they can hold out this year, they should have enough salary room in 2008 to sign someone that matters. Hell, if they would just play a little more consistant with the current line up, they can make it in to the second round.

ChumpChange
06-30-2006, 07:21 AM
Thank goodness football season is almost here. Basketball SUCKS!!!

funkybunchjr
06-30-2006, 07:25 AM
I second that!

Jyruiz
06-30-2006, 07:29 AM
I really do not think the Lakers will make a move. If they can hold out this year, they should have enough salary room in 2008 to sign someone that matters. Hell, if they would just play a little more consistant with the current line up, they can make it in to the second round.
They will be more consistent next year, remember, that was there first year together running a new system, one of the most difficult ones too.

Gilligan
06-30-2006, 08:17 AM
Agreed!! I am looking forward to Peyton Manning Choking in the off season!! :rollside: