PDA

View Full Version : looking at a daytona 21 this weekend

stranglehold 21
07-26-2002, 10:00 AM
looking at a 1982 daytona 21 this weekend. ad says it has 454 / 400 setup, and custom trailer for 10,5.
are there specific areas i should look at for signs of stress or repairs on these hulls, and any other things i should keep my eyes peeled for?
hopefully a keeper.

HavasuDreamin'
07-26-2002, 01:20 PM
stranglehold 21:
looking at a 1982 daytona 21 this weekend. ad says it has 454 / 400 setup, and custom trailer for 10,5.
are there specific areas i should look at for signs of stress or repairs on these hulls, and any other things i should keep my eyes peeled for?
hopefully a keeper.I have a 19' Elim. Daytona, powered by an O/B, so not exactly what you are looking for, but I think I can point you in the right direction. On the front of the hull, there will be two places that you will see stress cracks and hopefully no other areas up front or you may want to walk.
First, where the center of the deck (the raised portion) slopes down at the very front of the boat and meshes with the flat portion of the deck....in this area on both sides or the "corners" of the raised portion where it meets the flat portion, there will probably be some stress cracks. As long as they are surface and there are no gaping gashes or gel missing, you are okay. Clear as Mud? wink
Second, on the top of each pickle, on the inside edge....you may see some stress cracks running length wise....no biggy if all the gel is still there and they look surface like........
The transom, I don't know about since you are buying a jet and mine is an O/B. However, some places you do not want stress cracks and areas that will show signs of abuse are on the deck, and side deck areas. Mine is an '81 and I have no stres cracks on any deck areas (okay, one small one right in front of the driver). If you see a lot of stress cracks on the deck or side deck areas, chances are they are from people bouncing around on them.
One other thing to check for on these old Daytonas is wood strength in the stringers, bulk heads, and transom. Look at the bolts going through the stringers closely (at the rear portion of the stringers) to see if the bolts and washers are sinking into the wood. This indicates soft wood and potential replacement down the line. Look for any signs of delamination and/or wood chips in the bilge from both the transom and bulk head areas.
Keep in mind, unless the boat is a real light lay up, you will have SOME, but not a SHIT LOAD of stress cracks.
Good Luck!

stranglehold 21
07-26-2002, 04:35 PM
thanks for the info havasu. i hope this is not a wild goose chase. if i pick it up i'll post some pics and probably have about 8 billion questions for the class.

HavasuDreamin'
07-29-2002, 09:36 AM
Well ? ? ? ?

stranglehold 21
07-29-2002, 10:27 AM
i was flat on my ass with the flu all weekend :mad:
trying to reschedule for some time this week.

HavasuDreamin'
07-29-2002, 11:44 AM
The Flu sucks...........good Luck!

stranglehold 21
08-02-2002, 05:31 AM
ok heres the deal. i spoke with the owner last night. he got the boat from someone who took it in leu of money and it had sat for awhile. he has gone through it and has used it a few times, has 2 boats and needs to lose one. i am scoping it out sat afternoon. i willbe looking at the stringers real hard due to the "downtime" it has had.
it is a v drive eek! i know bubkis about a v drive in these boats. any thoughts on this? how it would affect the ride etc?

HavasuDreamin'
08-02-2002, 06:12 AM
stranglehold 21:
ok heres the deal. i spoke with the owner last night. he got the boat from someone who took it in leu of money and it had sat for awhile. he has gone through it and has used it a few times, has 2 boats and needs to lose one. i am scoping it out sat afternoon. i willbe looking at the stringers real hard due to the "downtime" it has had.
it is a v drive eek! i know bubkis about a v drive in these boats. any thoughts on this? how it would affect the ride etc?I have no clue how this boat will perform. I would scope it out real hard and if it passes the "visual" and you like it, ask the guy for a test ride prior to buying. Make sure he opens it up pretty well so that you can hear the motor run and get a feel for how the boat rides and handles. Good Luck!

nhbuoy
08-02-2002, 06:38 AM
HEY STRANGLEHOLD, I know where there is a 1985 20 ELIMINATOR RT W@ 2oo merc,set back,jack plate,foot throttle etc...in VERY good condition. I'm pretty sure it comes W/a trailer.It can be had for around $15000. It's in your "backyard" on LAKE WINNIPESAUKEE in N.H. (FYI: The RT stands for river tunnel,the boat looks like a V-bottom but is a tunnel W/a center pod (like SCHIADA'S version)....VERY nice colors...(blues and greys)..I looked at this boat last weekend out of curiosity and liked what I saw. FYI: this is a semi rare boat as not too many of them were made. It will also handle the rough water much better than a comparably sized tunnel. If you're interested let me know and I'll get all info and hook you up......./!!!!!!!VELOCITY BOATS RULE!!!!!!

nhbuoy
08-04-2002, 03:18 PM
HEY STRANGLEHOLD,,,, I just got back from the lake and that eliminator is a 1988 not 1985!!!!ON closer inspection it is in excellent shape...Very nice colors...let me know...........VELOCITY BOATS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!

nhbuoy
08-13-2002, 04:19 PM
HEY STRANGLEHOLD>>>>>Where you been???? I hope the flu didn't kill ya!!!! Check in if your still alive.......