PDA

View Full Version : Wind deflector installation?

Robbie Racer
01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
Are the wind deflectors supposed to be installed so that:
1)In the raised position, they will be leaning slightly towards the bow of the boat. (Not as aerodynamically pleasing but are locked in the raised position by the air flow at high speed).
OR
2)In the raised position, they will be leaning towards the cockpit slightly. (More aerodynamic but at high speed the wind will try to push them back down if the clamp bolts aren't tight enough.
I have mine installed in the #1 method and they seem to work pretty well, but I have always wondered if they were supposed to be installed the other way around. Thanks in advance for any feedback. R/R

Skaterfast
01-03-2003, 09:16 AM
All the ones I've seen are tilted toward the cockpit.If it works better the other way then run it.

Craig
01-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Mine are tilted back towards the cockpit. They are still adjustable without tools but will remain in position, even at top speed :D
Craig

blown23vee
01-03-2003, 06:28 PM
What he said...

midmagic
01-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Ditto...

Robbie Racer
01-04-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I always suspected that I might have installed them the wrong way. I will switch them around before the next outing. Who knows maybe I can pick up another mile an hour or so due to the better aerodynamics. :)

rude235
01-04-2003, 06:13 PM
are there any daytona guys here that use wind deflectors that can tell if they work on the 25? i've talked to several people and i've got several different answers on whether they work or not (some are on v-hulls and others on cats).

midmagic
01-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Keith, which manufacturer did you use for the wind deflectors? :rolleyes:

Robbie Racer
01-06-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi Bill, I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. I looked through my marine catalogs but couldn't find them. GSM installed them when they originally rigged the boat. I can tell you that they are white, made out of some sort of plastic or plexiglas and are slightly curved at the top edge. What kind of wind deflectors do you use?

midmagic
01-07-2003, 09:04 AM
Keith, a friend of mine works at DCB and he had a custom pair made for my Carrera. I haven't even installed them yet! eek!

Craig
01-07-2003, 09:35 AM
You actually take the boat out to the lake and we'll put them on :D

Robbie Racer
01-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Bill, I think you will like them once you install them. They sure help keep the wind from beating you up so bad at intermeadiate to high speeds. I'm very curious to see if there will be any difference (positive or negative) now that I have turned them around the correct way.

boat030
01-07-2003, 09:45 AM
keith, if you had canopies you wouldn't have to worry about all this :p

midmagic
01-07-2003, 12:44 PM
All righty Craig. You drill the holes and we'll put them in. (I see you are working hard today)

Craig
01-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Still trying to burn up my vaction hours I just got. Can't shake this bs coush crap that keeps me up all night :( Wanna go to Larry's Saturday?

midmagic
01-07-2003, 11:59 PM
Can't. Andy's in town. We are going Saturday to check out his finished new Shadow. It's a pretty thing! Nino's friday night?

Robbie Racer
01-08-2003, 12:16 AM
Hey Mike. When we next get together you might want to keep an eye on your canopies. I'm bringing my jig saw because I think they would look really cool on my boat too. :)
Are you coming up to Lake Berryessa on the 18th if this boat race bash goes together that Tony is working on? I think I will go, if the weather looks like it's going to be fairly decent.

boat030
01-08-2003, 07:52 AM
no i don't think i'm gonna make that trip although it sounds like fun. i definately plan on making at least one trip to berryessa this summer. are you comming down to the njba banquet this weekend?

Robbie Racer
01-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Yes, I will be there. I want to see Bob pick up his big trophy and jacket for winning the 10 sec. bracket championship.
Let me know when you go to Berryessa and I will try to meet up with you there at that time. I think you will like that lake. There is plenty of room to "stretch your legs" in a big cat.
See you in Anaheim tomorrow night.