PDA

View Full Version : gold mine in Havasu?

TCN
06-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Anybody know of a gold mine or abandoned gold mine in Havasu that you can go exploring at? Our friends are leaving in a few minutes and need quick info. Thanks. Nick

Not So Fast
06-30-2006, 04:30 PM
BE CAREFUL, there are a lot of abandoned mines with little or no warning or safety devices around them. More like holes in the ground :crossx: NSF

BajaMike
06-30-2006, 04:32 PM
There's a couple under the lake.....got scuba??:confused:
:rollside:

duffster
06-30-2006, 04:52 PM
I know of one by Steamboat. :rollside:

TCN
06-30-2006, 05:00 PM
I know of one by Steamboat. :rollside:
Do you know how to get there? Our friends want to go exploring while they are there this next 7-10 days. Thanks.

2Driver
06-30-2006, 07:25 PM
There are several mines (shafts going out standard wash about 3 miles out on the left). Huge shafts. They show on topo. THere is also a big mine on the CA side across from Steamboat. YOu have to park on the CA side in a cove and hike about 15 minutes up. Used to have old ore cart tracks still in it. It may have been started up again I am not sure. We hiked a bunch of shafts and there was a tons of stuff there.
Swansea is fun too although on the beaten trail now, but still cool. Hot ride this time of year.
Be carefull of Snakes, Bat $hit, and poison gas in the mines. Watch your step!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ion
06-30-2006, 08:37 PM
Anybody know of a gold mine or abandoned gold mine in Havasu that you can go exploring at? Our friends are leaving in a few minutes and need quick info. Thanks. Nick
There are numerous up in the hills, ie. beyond the falls at Bison, Juniper (or is it Jupiter?) Wash, Challenger Wash, and many others, but...waaaay too hot, dangerously hot, to do any exploring this time of year. I wouldn't suggest anyone hike around up there in this heat! All the ones I mentioned are many miles up in the mountains, requiring quads, 4 wheelers, etc, then a good hike to get to the mines after the trails end.
One more thing...if you do decide to go, ALWAYS bring flashlights, you never know when you'll come across a shaft that drops several stories, without any warning!!!

Not So Fast
07-01-2006, 12:13 AM
OK then, go fall in a hole.... NSF

TCN
07-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks, I found a website that has maps and quad trails to get there. Nick

NOTALENT
07-01-2006, 08:33 AM
what website??
There is an abandoned town under havasu...that would be sweet to dive and check it out.

Big Kahunaa
07-01-2006, 08:53 AM
yes what website

SDLifesaver
07-01-2006, 04:27 PM
yes what website
atvtrailsriding.com. I found it using google and clicking on the maps link and typing in Standard Wash, Lake Havasu City, Az. There is all kinds of links that tell about other hiking and abandoned mines and what kind of rules and permits that are needed to be and stay there. Check it out. TCN

SHAKEN Not Stirred
07-01-2006, 05:32 PM
Waaaay too hot, dangerously hot, to do any exploring this time of year. I wouldn't suggest anyone hike around up there in this heat!
Man....I agree with Don!!!.. :skull:
Way to friggen hot to be exploring the desert this time of year... :220v:
I'm thinking December would be better... :cool:
Later,
CJG
:idea:

TCN
07-01-2006, 07:30 PM
Man....I agree with Don!!!.. :skull:
Way to friggen hot to be exploring the desert this time of year... :220v:
I'm thinking December would be better... :cool:
Later,
CJG
:idea:
I am going to tell him this when I talk to them on Monday.

ThongMagnet
07-02-2006, 07:51 AM
My pick would be the town of "Oatman" about 45 minutes north of Havasu. That is a real mining town. You don't want to go down any shafts this time of year. Lots of rattle snakes looking for a cool place in the shade.