PDA

View Full Version : $35000.00 to make 15 mph ????????

EMCAM
06-30-2006, 07:44 PM
This has got me puzzeled. I ran a guy on jan 4 at the lake with a 21 ft kachina and pulled him pretty good ,didnt blow him away just pulled him.I was running 70 he said he was running right about there also.said he was putting a blower on soon. Well i ran into him today and the boat was done .we sort of ran and he pulled me but not by much. He told me the work that was done ,heads ,cam,crank,blower,chiller, the typical stuff. Said he spentabout $35,000 on the mill. this seems to me a crazy amount of money to pick up 15mph. What are boat shops telling these people they have to spend to pick up a few mph the motor is now worthmore then the boat not that peopledont put more money in there boat then it is worth. This just seemed crazy and a waste.

malcolm
06-30-2006, 07:58 PM
He must not care about the money much. And as a bonus, he beat you. :D
I doubt I'll ever spend that much on my little ride. Well, maybe if you count gas. ;)

Goober
06-30-2006, 08:23 PM
You see a sucker walk into your shop, you are going to rip him off. I have seen it time and time again.
I did not have time to look at my friends boat this week but i told him i was free next week. He took it to a local deal and it cost him $600 to have a head gasket replaced. I would have done it for $200 or $100 and some beer.

EMCAM
06-30-2006, 08:30 PM
i am putting a blower on my boat this week and i am told i will p/u 10mph or so and 1000 rpm the $35,000 motor only spins 6000 rpm with the blower . i spin 5200 rpm now so 6000 or so with the blower i will be right with him or better i spent 3500.00 :rollside:

QuickJet
06-30-2006, 09:12 PM
So the guy spent $35,000 to go an estimated 85 mph?

EMCAM
06-30-2006, 09:23 PM
well no 35,000 to pu about 15mph . but i will say this it looks good :)

502 JET
06-30-2006, 09:28 PM
$411.76 (and change) per mph to get 85 mph=$35000. :rollside:

flat broke
06-30-2006, 09:28 PM
You sure the guy didn't have a couple beers and mean $3500? 35k gets you a lot more than an 800hp blower motor.
Chris

Goober
06-30-2006, 11:09 PM
You sure the guy didn't have a couple beers and mean $3500? 35k gets you a lot more than an 800hp blower motor.
Chris
with 35k i would buy 3 of these.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=28673&parentCategoryId=10763

LakesOnly
07-01-2006, 12:52 AM
with 35k i would buy 3 of these.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10002&catalogIdentifier=Jegs_Direct&categoryId=28673&parentCategoryId=10763You would?

EMCAM
07-01-2006, 07:15 AM
No it was $35,000 . I just think this is a guy who knows nothing about motors and just believed everything he was told. Lets do some math 502 dart block,540 rotating assembly,alum dart pro 1 heads,871 blower shop blower,super chiller,,carbs,cam,roller valve train,msd dist sys,misc crap, he used alot of the guys original stuff, exhaust,oil pan, valve covers,timing cover.Now this motor stuff i listed makes 600/650 hp with no blower. Now add 7lbs of boost. thats 250/350 hp add. I have added it up to just under $20,000 with a buffer of $2000 . My buddy has this motor in his boat.It dyno tested right at 1000hp /8000 rpm. I think this guy got the $35,000 okie doke.

probablecause
07-01-2006, 12:37 PM
As long as he is happy. This topic of budget engine building has been covered in the past here and it can be done for a lot less.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Ive got 4 months of work to hoopefully pick up 10mph:220v: I didnt dish out 35K though:D Just alot of long asssssssssss days:yuk:

steelcomp
07-01-2006, 06:03 PM
I see nothing in here about machining or labor. You guys that think you can bolt a 1K hp blower motor together in your dirty garage in a couple of weekends, while getting drunk, are always the ones posting back up here the week after, wanting to know if water in the oil is OK. :rolleyes: No it was $35,000 . I just think this is a guy who knows nothing about motors and just believed everything he was told. Lets do some math 502 dart block,540 rotating assembly,alum dart pro 1 heads,871 blower shop blower,super chiller,,carbs,cam,roller valve train,msd dist sys,misc crap, he used alot of the guys original stuff, exhaust,oil pan, valve covers,timing cover.Now this motor stuff i listed makes 600/650 hp with no blower. Now add 7lbs of boost. thats 250/350 hp add. I have added it up to just under $20,000 with a buffer of $2000 . My buddy has this motor in his boat.It dyno tested right at 1000hp /8000 rpm. I think this guy got the $35,000 okie doke.

Sleek-Jet
07-01-2006, 06:11 PM
I see nothing in here about machining or labor. You guys that think you can bolt a 1K hp blower motor together in your dirty garage in a couple of weekends, while getting drunk, are always the ones posting back up here the week after, wanting to know if water in the oil is OK. :rolleyes:
mmmmm.... milkshakes... :D :idea: :crossx:

probablecause
07-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I see nothing in here about machining or labor. You guys that think you can bolt a 1K hp blower motor together in your dirty garage in a couple of weekends, while getting drunk, are always the ones posting back up here the week after, wanting to know if water in the oil is OK. :rolleyes:
So you condone 35,000 for an extra 10-15 mph????

QuickJet
07-01-2006, 08:15 PM
No it was $35,000 . I just think this is a guy who knows nothing about motors and just believed everything he was told. Lets do some math 502 dart block,540 rotating assembly,alum dart pro 1 heads,871 blower shop blower,super chiller,,carbs,cam,roller valve train,msd dist sys,misc crap, he used alot of the guys original stuff, exhaust,oil pan, valve covers,timing cover.Now this motor stuff i listed makes 600/650 hp with no blower. Now add 7lbs of boost. thats 250/350 hp add. I have added it up to just under $20,000 with a buffer of $2000 . My buddy has this motor in his boat.It dyno tested right at 1000hp /8000 rpm. I think this guy got the $35,000 okie doke.
So 1,000 HP and only 85 MPH. What's it in, the Queen Mary?

steelcomp
07-01-2006, 09:24 PM
So you condone 35,000 for an extra 10-15 mph????I'm not sure wher I said anything about the results.
A few years back, I was at the lake with my Bahner. It was just after doing the first major re-build on it, and it was running pretty good...I was out early in the morning in real nice air, and it was running somewhere in the high 90's by the speedo. There was also this guy with an Eliminator v-bottom jet. (Not a sprint) This thing had an injected blown alky motor in it, right out of his dragster...zoomies and all. As I came back in from my run, he was just getting ready to go out, and he asked me if I wanted to go for a ride. I was a little apprehensive, as I'm not a very good passanger, and this thing looked scary fast. I wasn't sure of this guy's experience, either, but not to offend, I agreed. I gave it a look over as I was getting in, just to make sure nothing stood out telling me this was a bad idea. Everything was done with some thought, and it all looked pretty sano, so that was a plus. All I had on was a ski vest, so I tied off my boat as got in. He climbed in, gave it a prime, and lit it off. Holy shit...the thing was deafening! It had that blower surge, and smellled of alky as we idled out of the 5 mph zone. I thought to myself, "this is going to be interesting", thinking that this guy was the type to just nail it the second we cleared the buoy. Fortunately, he eased into it and we went right, and started our way out across the lake, to the better water on the other side. He stomped on it a couple times on the way over, and I thought, "well, this aint that bad". The boat rode nice, although I couldn't hardly hear myself think. I figured I could stand about another minute or so of that noise! Well, we finally got to the other side, and he slowed down to a crawl, looked at me, and with this big grin on his face, he gripped the wheel like it was going to be the only thihg he had to hang on to, and nailed it!
At least I think he did. :cry:
Now remember...I had been in my Bahner just a few minutes ago, running in the high 90's, and feeling like I was getting there pretty damn quick, but I figured this thing is going to accelerate like a rocket in comparison, so I was ready.
Not. :notam:
It did a good impression of the space shuttle as far as decibles go, but I could hardly keep myself from laughing it was so slow. Motor turned 6800, ran bitchen, just didn't go anywhere. The hull wasn't even close to having what it needed to take advantage of that kind of power. Basically a stock Eliminator. Don't get me wrong, it was quick to a point, but from what I could tell, it didn't accelerate any where near as hard as my boat, and it went about 85 top end. And he jumped on it a few times, and was grinning ear to ear. :D He thought that thing was a freekin funny car, but I'll tell ya, it sure wasn't what I was expecting. :rollside: I didn't say anything.
Point of the story is, (sorry...I love telling stories :rolleyes: ) ever since then, I realized that you can put all the $$$ you want into a motor, and, as in anything else, but especially a jet boat, it will only go as fast as the set up will allow. The fact that this guy that EMCAM is talking about paid 35K for a blown, 1K hp/8000 rpm motor isn't unreasonable, if it was built right, by someone who knows what they're doing. The fact that it only gained him 15mph is another topic all together. IMO, 15mph isn't chicken feed for an improvement. Guys will spend thoudands for 5mph.
I just built a motor for my boat that I imagine could cost between 25-30K to have built by a reputable builder, and I spent another 5-7K on the boat, and I hope for 15-20 mph, with the right setup. We'll see.

EMCAM
07-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the input steel. Never said the motor wasnt worth 35,000 and nevrer said you could build it in a dirty garage for cheap plus some beer. just think the guy got ripped off could have spent less for the same result but i must say it looks bitchin in his boat. I am putting my blower on my boat next week and we will see what the improvments are. My boat goes a solid 65/70 mph gps and 396 ways to spit was in it to verify. i will post my blower add and demon carb add results next week . I am changing nothing else in my set up we will see how mutch mph and rpm i p/u unless i blow it up. :crossx:

Fast Freddy
07-01-2006, 10:28 PM
$35k for 15 mph.......a fool and his money are soon parted.
for less than $1,000 i can add 15 mph to any boat. its called nitrous oxide. BIG shot of juice will give you 10 mph and taking all the weight out of your boat will give you the rest.

EMCAM
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I agree> like i said we will see what the blower does it will add 200hp or more to my boat

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-02-2006, 06:54 AM
If I speedcoat my botom will it pick up 5mph:D:D
Juss playin witcha scott;) I dont do any work in a garage. Actually, People are amazed how my boat runs after seeing that I build everything in the front yard;) If you see some of the work that rolls out of the yard you would be cracking up. I just built a pump for a board member and he is happy as hell. I built his pump on a trashcan:D He gained 6mph;) I call it the "ghetto" garage;)

probablecause
07-02-2006, 08:58 AM
Some good points brought up here:
All the money in the world stuffed into a motor isn't going to help:
A. A boat that is not designed to handle the HP.
B. A boat that has a pump that has not been built for the extra HP.

Wicky
07-02-2006, 09:29 AM
This has got me puzzeled. I ran a guy on jan 4 at the lake with a 21 ft kachina and pulled him pretty good ,didnt blow him away just pulled him.I was running 70 he said he was running right about there also.said he was putting a blower on soon. Well i ran into him today and the boat was done .we sort of ran and he pulled me but not by much. He told me the work that was done ,heads ,cam,crank,blower,chiller, the typical stuff. Said he spentabout $35,000 on the mill. this seems to me a crazy amount of money to pick up 15mph. What are boat shops telling these people they have to spend to pick up a few mph the motor is now worthmore then the boat not that peopledont put more money in there boat then it is worth. This just seemed crazy and a waste.
That's why I sold my 600hp suck boat and bought an outboard!!
I was up on the lake the other day and there was a CP with a supposedly "built" BB with AZ h.i.d #'s straight out of Havasu. It was yellow.
It was supposedly a 90+ ride and I walked by him like he was idling. That's overexagerating(sp?) a little but.......Now, back to your question "why?"
My answer: I don't know why!!! Doh!!!!!
P.S. My motor is a 225 Mercury that is going on 10 years old. It's never been rebuilt and probably has over 1000 hrs on it with 50% of the time WOT!!

Ken F
07-02-2006, 09:44 AM
for less than $1,000 i can add 15 mph to any boat. its called nitrous oxide. BIG shot of juice will give you 10 mph and taking all the weight out of your boat will give you the rest.
so, let me see.....you are going to take joe-jetboaters stock 454 and add a large shot of nitrous? And how much is he going to spend on a new engine after you do this????
Ken f

probablecause
07-02-2006, 10:21 AM
That's why I sold my 600hp suck boat and bought an outboard!!
I was up on the lake the other day and there was a CP with a supposedly "built" BB with AZ h.i.d #'s straight out of Havasu. It was yellow.
It was supposedly a 90+ ride and I walked by him like he was idling. That's overexagerating(sp?) a little but.......Now, back to your question "why?"
My answer: I don't know why!!! Doh!!!!!
P.S. My motor is a 225 Mercury that is going on 10 years old. It's never been rebuilt and probably has over 1000 hrs on it with 50% of the time WOT!!
Sorry, but you are not allowed to participate here. "This is for all of us Break Out Another Thousand" jet boat owners. I like outboards and they have their purpose but the sound of a Big Block (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) with dry headers starting up in a marina, early in the morning (or any time of the day) is my heroin. I am a junky. Sorry.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Sorry, but you are not allowed to participate here. "This is for all of us Break Out Another Thousand" jet boat owners. I like outboards and they have their purpose but the sound of a BBC with dry headers starting up in a marina, early in the morning (or any time of the day) is my heroin. I am a junky. Sorry.
AMEN Mr Pimp hand;);)

Wet Dream
07-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry, but you are not allowed to participate here. "This is for all of us Break Out Another Thousand" jet boat owners. I like outboards and they have their purpose but the sound of a Big Block (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) with dry headers starting up in a marina, early in the morning (or any time of the day) is my heroin. I am a junky. Sorry.
Buy this man a beer!!! ;)

steelcomp
07-02-2006, 12:00 PM
so, let me see.....you are going to take joe-jetboaters stock 454 and add a large shot of nitrous? And how much is he going to spend on a new engine after you do this????
Ken fLOL...my first thought, exactly. :D

steelcomp
07-02-2006, 12:01 PM
Sorry, but you are not allowed to participate here. "This is for all of us Break Out Another Thousand" jet boat owners. I like outboards and they have their purpose but the sound of a Big Block (Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc.) with dry headers starting up in a marina, early in the morning (or any time of the day) is my heroin. I am a junky. Sorry.Isn't that the truth.

Wicky
07-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I give that one a hell yes!!!....Definitely no replacement for displacement!!!!
OK,,,,,,my name is Wicky and I am a junkie too!!

Wicky
07-02-2006, 03:53 PM
As far as the B.O.A.T. acronym goes, well, I'm in the same club. I define the lower unit woes!!!! In fact, you might as well rename boat to BOATT

Wicky
07-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Break out another Three thousand!!!

YeLLowBoaT
07-02-2006, 03:59 PM
you mean
Break Out Another Ten Thousand.

moneysucker
07-07-2006, 10:57 PM
I know that building a blower motor in a garage is even expensive. Buying a block, heads otating assembly, MSD system, fuel system, $35000 is not really out of line.

SmokinLowriderSS
07-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Dam right!
Another addict here, and no, I'm NOT attending meetings to find a "cure". :p

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
07-08-2006, 02:02 PM
Dam right!
Another addict here, and no, I'm NOT attending meetings to find a "cure". :p
Hi my name is Smokinlowlow and im addicted to jetboats:p

oknozelman
07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
I have had a few boats some jets and my 24' sterndrive tunnel, in my experience it cost $1,000.00 for every mph over 100mph . Now 70mph to 85 shouldn't cost that much????

You Te
07-08-2006, 06:48 PM
You know there is a law about noise on the river.

Squirtcha?
07-10-2006, 04:47 PM
B O A S T
break out another several thousand