PDA

View Full Version : Havasu pool builders

phebus
07-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Going to be putting a pool in the Havasu house. I need reccomendations on good builders, and warnings of builders to stay away from. I have it down to a short list, but I know there are builders to stay away from, and as soon as I think I found a builder I really like, I hear a horror story.

KREGER
07-01-2006, 09:58 AM
If you go north on the 95 and turn left on palo Verde north there is a Saaawwwweeeeeet pool going in on a corner house on the right about two blocks down. You can see it from the street. Mohave County Pools is doing that one. Are place is up Palo verde North, and I drive by there when going to windsor each time. Advantage Pools has a nice looking Ad in the Yellow pages. I have not done a pool yet.

Ivan Dan
07-01-2006, 10:20 AM
We had a good experience with Sand Castle pools. When we were interviewing contractors we narrowed it down to two which were Sandcastle and Mohave County Pools. I would use either of these 2 and would expect them to do a quality job.

Mr. Naudio
07-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Going to be putting a pool in the Havasu house. I need reccomendations on good builders, and warnings of builders to stay away from. I have it down to a short list, but I know there are builders to stay away from, and as soon as I think I found a builder I really like, I hear a horror story.
Designer Pools Yes
Neat Pool NO FRIGGIN WAY

MagicMtnDan
07-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Be the general contractor and save at least $10,000 by working with the subs yourself. You get control and they get their money faster (pool companies are notorious for paying their subs very slowly if at all).
You win, they win, we all win :cool:

phebus
07-01-2006, 12:28 PM
Be the general contractor and save at least $10,000 by working with the subs yourself. You get control and they get their money faster (pool companies are notorious for paying their subs very slowly if at all).
The trouble is knowing what subs to use. One sub can screw up the whole job, and if you use a reputable contractor, he should know the good subs from the bad (since it's his name on the finished product), and the money you pay,might be worth it.

duffster
07-01-2006, 12:54 PM
You are correct owner builder is the only way to go. We are getting one put in at our home right now in Murrieta using Metzgar Construction yes Mike Metzgar's dad Ted a very cool dude.
By the looks of things will save around 10k and get a ton more for the money than using a pool company. Plus for some reason Ted seems to get the subs out faster for the cash.

Not So Fast
07-01-2006, 04:12 PM
We wanted one so out went the bids, I know I'm living in yesteryear but WOW :sqeyes: Yes it had quite a bit of rock work and a beach entrance for the grandkids (me too) and seats in the sides with a couple of tables, but it was only going to be 5' deep. Anyway two bids later and I'm wondering where to get $60,000 + 85' of wall :idea: Someday maybe. NSF

phebus
07-01-2006, 04:30 PM
My lot is 125'x145', so walls are going to put me in the poor house. If I go across the back, and part way up the sides, I'm looking at probably at least 160' of wall. OUCH!!!!!

TCN
07-01-2006, 04:42 PM
My lot is 125'x145', so walls are going to put me in the poor house. If I go across the back, and part way up the sides, I'm looking at probably at least 160' of wall. OUCH!!!!!
Rick, are you going to do gunite or fiberglass? What kind of prices have you got so far? We got a quote for the pool and flat work the other day that was very affordable but the retaining wall across the back is what I'm worried about. We may do it in phases if we do it soon and do all the walls and fence first. I have to figure out how to make my money tree produce more fruit before we do anything. Nick

phebus
07-01-2006, 05:22 PM
We are going with a gunite pool with rock features. I haven't got a bid yet, in fact I haven't talked to any builders yet. I have called and talked to a few pool maintenance people and asked them who they would use if they built a pool, and I've talked to several people that have recently built pools, to try and decide who to call and get bids from. I thought I had decided on a builder, but the last person I talked to is using that builder, and has had nothing but problems, and his build is way , way, behind schedule.
So, I'm still trying to decide who to even call to get bids.........

TCN
07-01-2006, 07:45 PM
If we do the pool we are going to do the fiberglass drop in. If I lived there full time I would love the rock formations and slides but we are just exploring the quick get wet options.

Havasu_Dreamin
07-01-2006, 08:46 PM
Are retaining walls required across the backyard with pools? We've already got walls around our backyard but only the Southern side is a retaining wall, the rest is the Steelite fence wall.

TCN
07-01-2006, 09:12 PM
A 5' fence with a self locking gate is all that is required to my knowledge. Walls, fence, chain link, whatever makes the 5' is good enough.

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm 2 weeks away from finishing my pool at my house in Havasu. 3 water features, 10 person raised spa, free formed with about 110 lenyar feet, beach entry, table with 2 stools and a wrap around bench, Pebble tec, nice tile, and about 1800sq" feet of stamped colored concrete. I could not send my crew from SB out there for less money then what I paid. If you live there I would say do the owner builder thing. My pool contractor is great, Jody from Island pool. I would recomend him highly, but after my pool he says he's retiring, seems us Californians have burned him out. :D My lot is 230x130. The retaining walls on my lot were as much as the pool. I got to say all the building projects I've been involved with, getting a house done and all the other crap that goes with it in Havasu was the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I love the finished project, but some of the subs that worked on our house, tried to pull shit on me and my General I could not belive. Who ever you choose, go look at some of his work. Do Jandy or Pentair pool equipment, automatic everything, salt water pool with some type of back up sanitizer system. Use Majestic pool service, and go big.

djunkie
07-01-2006, 10:18 PM
I'm 2 weeks away from finishing my pool at my house in Havasu. 3 water features, 10 person raised spa, free formed with about 110 lenyar feet, beach entry, table with 2 stools and a wrap around bench, Pebble tec, nice tile, and about 1800sq" feet of stamped colored concrete. I could not send my crew from SB out there for less money then what I paid. If you live there I would say do the owner builder thing. My pool contractor is great, Jody from Island pool. I would recomend him highly, but after my pool he says he's retiring, seems us Californians have burned him out. :D My lot is 230x130. The retaining walls on my lot were as much as the pool. I got to say all the building projects I've been involved with, getting a house done and all the other crap that goes with it in Havasu was the most frustrating thing I've ever done. I love the finished project, but some of the subs that worked on our house, tried to pull shit on me and my General I could not belive. Who ever you choose, go look at some of his work. Do Jandy or Pentair pool equipment, automatic everything, salt water pool with some type of back up sanitizer system. Use Majestic pool service, and go big.
Sounds good. Think I can get all that done for around $20k at my house down there? I already have the wall. :crossx: :crossx:

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:24 PM
A 5' fence with a self locking gate is all that is required to my knowledge. Walls, fence, chain link, whatever makes the 5' is good enough.
Were passing with a 3.5 foot iorn fence on top of our pool level retaining wall on the back of our property, with self locking gates. The rest of the walls are 5 plus, but the fence in back is 3.5. We also have a guest house by the pool, and each door handle going out side as well as the screen door handles had to be at least 54"s high. The screens also had to be self closing.

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Sounds good. Think I can get all that done for around $20k at my house down there? I already have the wall. :crossx: :crossx:
I'm suppling the equipment, and it's still costing me 52k. In my book that's cheap for what it is. This pool in SB, 120k. Owner builder, I bet a nice regular pool, 28k in Havasu. But I would for sure live there to do it.

djunkie
07-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I'm suppling the equipment, and it's still costing me 52k. In my book that's cheap for what it is. This pool in SB, 120k. Owner builder, I bet a nice regular pool, 28k in Havasu. But I would for sure live there to do it.
We're gonna do one probably this winter. It won't be anything too crazy but we don't want a plain one either. Gonna have to look into all the options real soon. But its sounding like the saltwater is the way to go.

phebus
07-01-2006, 10:36 PM
I want a saltwater system with pebble-tec, and some rock features. I also need decking and walls. I'm afraid to get bids, but since were living there, we definately want a pool.

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:37 PM
We're gonna do one probably this winter. It won't be anything too crazy but we don't want a plain one either. Gonna have to look into all the options real soon. But its sounding like the saltwater is the way to go.
How it works and bang for the buck, it's the way to go. Just back it up with something as simple as a tab feeder.

ROZ
07-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Give him the list of subs that Jody uses :D

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:39 PM
I want a saltwater system with pebble-tec, and some rock features. I also need decking and walls. I'm afraid to get bids, but since were living there, we definately want a pool.
Do it owner builder then. When you get to the equipment part get a hold of me. Havasu has SCP there now, and I'll get your equipment delivered to your door cheap.

phebus
07-01-2006, 10:41 PM
Thanks Greg. If I do the owner/builder thing, do you have a list of good subs?

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Give him the list of subs that Jody uses :D
I was very surprised to find out Jody and his partner do most all of there own work. Other then Gunite and plaster, they did it all. Tell ya what, if someone went to Havasu and did Guinite and Pebble, they'd make a fortune. I belive there's one guy out there for each, and by there prices they need some comp. :D

Bling Bling
07-01-2006, 10:45 PM
Thanks Greg. If I do the owner/builder thing, do you have a list of good subs?
I should by the winter.

phebus
07-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks, I'll hit you up.

Ivan Dan
07-01-2006, 11:18 PM
One of my good buddies owns a block wall company....his name is Jason Lee and he owns Another Block Company 928-566-9336. He does kick a$$ work for a pretty reasonable price and I highly recommend him.

djunkie
07-02-2006, 02:06 AM
How it works and bang for the buck, it's the way to go. Just back it up with something as simple as a tab feeder.
Thats what I'm hearing. Being that we won't be out there all the time to keep an eye on it I guess the saltwater pool is a little better to have. At least thats what we've heard.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
07-02-2006, 06:58 AM
I am dying to put a pool in my backyard. can you guys help me get an idea of how to gauge the costs? what formula do builders use (materials x sq ft + labor?) ...

rivrbrat
07-02-2006, 07:41 AM
We're going to be doing the same thing. We need to get some block work done. Looking for someone who lays block and does flat work. We are not looking for a contractor. We are looking for someone who actually does the work who is looking for side work. We are going to general it our selfs.
I can't believe what some people will charge just to dig a hole and remove the dirt! So we bought our own backhoe!

KoolPop
07-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Mohave County Pools, We we're swimming in less than 7 weeks from start to finish. I very highly recommend them, we've had 2 other friends that used them and they were also extremely happy!!

KoolPop
07-02-2006, 01:49 PM
My next door neighbor tried that. It turned in to a total disaster. It ended up costing him many thousands of dollars more than if he hired a pool contractor to do the job. Not such a good idea in Havasu, maybe in the big city, but not here.

imbndvs
07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Asking if there is a good pool builder in Havasu is kind of like asking if there really is a Santa Claus. No such thing in Havasu!!!
Do it your self but especially stay away from Eddie Vidovich / Eddies Backhoe/ Creative exterior designs. He has several different names he does jobs under, bottom line, he is a crook!!!

BoatPI
07-03-2006, 06:11 AM
When it comes the plaster I believe that Big Blasters is the main game in town. Just remember Pebble Tech is NOT very smooth. I play volley ball in out pool, usually 5x5. Plaster sucked so I had them replaster with 3M Quartz. Incredibily smooth, and looks killer, light reflects, etc. They were a bit high on price, I got a compeating bid and got price down 1K. They did a good job and on time.

Vitus
07-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Hey Bling,
Post some pics already!!!!

BoatFloating
07-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Hey Bling,
Post some pics already!!!!
Are you kidding that guy barely figured out a computer. When I'm there this next weekend I'll take some... :rollside:

RNEW15
07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Owner/builders take note!
A word of caution from the
Contractors State License Board
Hiring an unlicensed
“consultant” to manage
the project does not
save you money
in the long run.
----------------------------------
By hiring a licensed experienced contractor
for your project to hire
licensed knowledgeable
tradespersons, the
contractor becomes
responsible for all
phases of construction.
----------------------------------
Anyone who talks you into being your own general contractor, or
“owner/builder,” may be doing you no favor.
“Owner/builder” describes a situation in which the homeowner becomes the general contractor. As an owner/builder, you (not the person you hire) assume responsibility for the overall job.
Your responsibilities may include such things as state and federal taxes, workers’ compensation insurance, and other legal liabilities. You may be required to hire various subcontractors for your project, scheduling their work and supervising the job. If a worker is injured while working on your property, you could be asked to pay for injuries and rehabilitation through your homeowner’s insurance policy.
By signing a building permit application as an owner/builder, you assume full responsibility for all phases of your project and its integrity.
Hiring an unlicensed “consultant” to manage the project does not save
you money in the long run. By hiring a licensed experienced contractor for your project to hire licensed knowledgeable tradespersons, the contractor becomes responsible for all phases of construction.
Unless you are very experienced in construction, it is best to leave these matters to your licensed contractor.
6/04
CONTRACTORS STATE LICENSE BOARD P.O. BOX 26000, SACRAMENTO, CA 95826 (800) 321-CSLB FAX (916) 255-1395

ROZ
07-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Anyone who talks you into being your own general contractor, or
“owner/builder,” may be doing you no favor.
It's all about competance on all(inspectors included) sides of the coin, and a research goes a long way....I've seen just as many builders make a mess of building a pool as owner builders...
If a person has the time to manage the project and has a good list of subs to work with, the homeowner can save a lot of coin...

Bling Bling
07-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Are you kidding that guy barely figured out a computer. When I'm there this next weekend I'll take some... :rollside:
You can download pictures on Hot Boat? :D :D

ZSARGO
07-03-2006, 01:49 PM
CALL BOBBY WITH ADVANTAGE POOLS. HE BUILT MY POOL AND TWO FRIENDS POOLS IN HAVASU. HE LET ME BE THE OWNER \ BUILDER AND SAVED ME A FEW BUCKS. ALL I REALLY DID WAS PULL THE PERMITS AND HE DID THE REST. PAY HIM CASH AND HE WILL SAVE YOU SOME BUCKS. EVERYTHING WAS DONE AS HE SAID AND HE DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING ON ANY OF US. HE IS A REAL STAND UP GUY. CALL ME AT 760-880-8833 IF YOU CAN'T FIND HIS NUMBER OR YOU WANT TO COME BY AND TAKE A LOOK AT THE POOL IN HAVASU. I'M UP ABOUT THREE BLOCKS FROM CARLS JR ON PALO VERDE. HOPE THIS HELP.
LES