PDA

View Full Version : 176 tooth flywheel

dead_onion
07-01-2006, 10:35 AM
hey guys,
what is the deal with my 176 tooth flywheel?
why can't I find one?
why does the Ford dealership and every parts store I have looked at claim to have never made one?
I spoke to someone at glenwood marine and they sent me out a 176 tooth ring gear but the inner diameter was a quater inch to big for my flywheel.
so what do I do now?
I talked to Jet Boat performance and they said they never heard of one either?
the motor is a 460, the bellhousing is a Nicson and it is stamped into the bellhousing "use 176 tooth flywheel"
The O.D. on the ring gear is 15.5 inches, anybody know what the O.D. is on the standard flexplate for the 164 tooth?
I think it is smaller, which means I need a new bellhousing to relocate my starter...right?
also, how do I know if my motor is internal or external balance? I don't see any weights on the flywheel, and it does have a balancer on the front. the boat is a 75 Wriedt Spoiler, I talked to Jerry Wriedt and he says he never used Nicson on his boats.
I have put a shitload of money into restoring this boat, and now I am held up by this stupid flywheel...I can' f'n believe it!
Help!

FASTRAT
07-01-2006, 11:31 AM
hey guys,
what is the deal with my 176 tooth flywheel?
why can't I find one?
why does the Ford dealership and every parts store I have looked at claim to have never made one?
I spoke to someone at glenwood marine and they sent me out a 176 tooth ring gear but the inner diameter was a quater inch to big for my flywheel.
so what do I do now?
I talked to Jet Boat performance and they said they never heard of one either?
the motor is a 460, the bellhousing is a Nicson and it is stamped into the bellhousing "use 176 tooth flywheel"
The O.D. on the ring gear is 15.5 inches, anybody know what the O.D. is on the standard flexplate for the 164 tooth?
I think it is smaller, which means I need a new bellhousing to relocate my starter...right?
also, how do I know if my motor is internal or external balance? I don't see any weights on the flywheel, and it does have a balancer on the front. the boat is a 75 Wriedt Spoiler, I talked to Jerry Wriedt and he says he never used Nicson on his boats.
I have put a shitload of money into restoring this boat, and now I am held up by this stupid flywheel...I can' f'n believe it!
Help!
i would personally suggest putting a flex plate from a 460 in there & getting rid of the flywheel...u dont need it...the starter should work fine...just my .02 cents
fastrat

dead_onion
07-01-2006, 11:45 AM
thats what I am proably going to do,
will the flexplate be the same outer diameter though? If it's not it won't make contact with the starter.

FASTRAT
07-01-2006, 11:55 AM
thats what I am proably going to do,
will the flexplate be the same outer diameter though? If it's not it won't make contact with the starter.
my suggestion would be to take ur flywheel & go to a wrecking yard & find a flex plate from a 460 & match them up...that way u will know for sure before u buy a SFI flexplate
fastrat

sanger rat
07-01-2006, 08:24 PM
Bust out the check book! http://www.performanceparts.ford.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=2485 http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400070+300628+115+4294862402&autoview=sku