PDA

View Full Version : Sunk the boat

later
07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Well this has been a bad weekend.Was at piru this saturday and making a turn,before I knew it i had just done a 180 degree flip.My cable broke on my jet,imagine that.I allmost when down with the boat due to my leg getting cought between my jet shifter and seat that had been torn off it's mount's.Thank God my two kid's are ok aswell as my friend and myself.My next step is to get the boat out of the lake.Does anybody know about this proceedure? and the cost?.Is it worth it?.My mind is so bent right now and today it just beginning to hit me and man I just can't believe this happen'ed and might I say so quickly.I need some help.Thanks John Case

Biglue
07-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Damn bro. I'm sorry to hear that. Glad everyone is OK.

Rexone
07-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Wow that sucks, glad you are ok that is first and foremost.
Contact Acceptence (http://www.***boat.com/forums/member.php?u=4317) , he's in the recovery biz and either will do it or refer you to someone locally who can more than likely. Good place to start anyway.

olbiezer
07-02-2006, 05:14 PM
thanks mike i was looking all over for his screen name lol the mind is the second thing to go........ :220v:

77charger
07-02-2006, 05:16 PM
sunk a boat but it was left bobbing on top was able to pull out.As far as cost i would say probably at least 1500 bucks to recover.So depends on how much the boat is worth to you.There could be fines for leavin it down too i dont know.Motor will have to be flushed best bet is to take apart and go thru it IMO cause fine sediment will find its way in inside and it wont last long after.Or for a quick fix drain and replace oil pull plugs and crank over to rid water,dry out electrical,fire up run for a minute or two drain oil again til all traces of water are out.
When i sank my boat years ago we had it back in that night to make it to the bar and out the resr of weekend.I was over it a friend who was a mechanic did all the work to get it back in next day we ran into one of the guys who helped out should have seen the look on him when he saw us said wasnt that boat under yesterday!!

77charger
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
acceptance now has another name vessal assist or something like that or contact metropolitan marine just found his card its about 2 years old (928)788-1815 (866)723-3869 (866)safe-tow name is greg

olbiezer
07-02-2006, 05:23 PM
never sunk one but most of my boats ( even the daytona ) had foam filled bows...... hope it all works out for ya.....either way it will suck putting out that kinda cash.......

JetBoatRich
07-02-2006, 06:22 PM
Good to hear the most important news, everybody is OK :cool:
Sucks about the boat :mad:

THEPISTONHEAD
07-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Damn, I was still waiting for more pics. Its the one you where selling?
Glad everyone is O.K.

RitcheyRch
07-02-2006, 07:02 PM
Sorry to hear about the boat but thankfully everyone is okay.

fleetimus
07-02-2006, 07:31 PM
I definitely feel your pain. I used these guys when mine sunk at CFW. They are out of the Sonora area.
A.C.E. Underwater Recovery
Chuck Proctor.
209 532-2431
Absolute straight up people!!!!!!!!!

Keyser
07-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Glad to hear that everyone is ok!!Brooski and I were out there on saturdays and didn't even know that anything had happened until we got back to the dock.

Brooski
07-02-2006, 09:29 PM
Okay, good ole Brooski never knew anything happened....until reading this right now. I dont know if they will do the lake or not, but call Beverly and Paul at Vessel Assist in Ventura, (805) 644-2762. Paul is a certified diver, and handles both Ventura and Channel Islands Harbor areas out to the islands. Tell him youre a fellow boater of mine and got the number from me (Roger, their neighbor a couple blocks away). Good luck. By the way, what kind of boat, and whats your name, in case they ask me?

later
07-02-2006, 10:22 PM
The boat is a 1988 19 ft Eliminator liberty.Bad ass boat and was built.On saturday was the first time that I had open'ed that puppy up and I must say who ever started that project built it fine.I have to say 3 boats later it was the fastest.Bummed out to loose it but I hope to rebuild.The boats name was going to be surrenity because my mother before her death allways said that prayer.Guess she was looking out for us.My name is John Case

later
07-02-2006, 10:25 PM
Damn, I was still waiting for more pics. Its the one you where selling?
Glad everyone is O.K.yes it was

Sherpa
07-03-2006, 07:04 AM
how deep would you estimate where it sunk at-?
you should name the boat: (insert George Costanza voice here; of seinfeld)
SERENITY NOW-!
--Sherpa

RitcheyRch
07-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Are you going to try and get the boat today?

Hardly Satisfied
07-03-2006, 09:36 AM
That SUCKS :cry: glad everyone got of the boat safe :rollside:

'78 gt boat
07-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Glad to hear everyone is ok. You can always replace the boat but you can't replace family. I hope you get the boat back and rebuild :boxed:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
07-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Glad to hear everyone is okay. Must have been pretty frightening for the kids. Good luck in your recovery effort.

later
07-05-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks for the consirn.Happy that there are some good people out there.Don't know whats next on the recovery,still checking around.Sounds like it might just be a complete wash.Still have the trailer.Might just sell that and start over.Thanks again

SHIFTY
07-05-2006, 08:23 AM
So, What Exactly Happened? The Steering Cable Broke? How Fast Were You Going?

Propster
07-05-2006, 10:49 AM
I was involved with white water jetboating for a while and a lot of boats sank. Here is how we did it. Send a diver down and clip a rope to the bow eye. Connect the other end to a boat and pull it slowly. Get it right side up and it should come right to the surface due to the shape of the hull. Pull it to the ramp and either bail it out at the ramp or winch it on the trailer. Shoud not cost any more than the cost of the diver and a case of beer for your buddies. A good fish finder will help you locate the boat on the bottom. Change all fluids and fuel and run it as soon as possible to prevent rust from damaging the engine.
Edit: if it sank in fresh water, the motor is probably fine, if it sank in salt water, it should be torn down.

RitcheyRch
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Might want to pull the drain plugs while the diver down there to help get some of the water out when the other boat is pulling.
I was involved with white water jetboating for a while and a lot of boats sank. Here is how we did it. Send a diver down and clip a rope to the bow eye. Connect the other end to a boat and pull it slowly. Get it right side up and it should come right to the surface due to the shape of the hull. Pull it to the ramp and either bail it out at the ramp or winch it on the trailer. Shoud not cost any more than the cost of the diver and a case of beer for your buddies. A good fish finder will help you locate the boat on the bottom. Change all fluids and fuel and run it as soon as possible to prevent rust from damaging the engine.
Edit: if it sank in fresh water, the motor is probably fine, if it sank in salt water, it should be torn down.

later
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Was going 35mph.I am working a deal to have it pulled out for $4000.Is this a good deal?.

RitcheyRch
07-05-2006, 02:29 PM
Seems high but what do I know. Never have had to have a boat pulled out of the water.
Was going 35mph.I am working a deal to have it pulled out for $4000.Is this a good deal?.

fleetimus
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I paid more than that to get mine out of CFW. How deep is the boat??

H2oracer
07-05-2006, 02:49 PM
If you use this method don,t pull the boat out off the water with too much water in it. You can blow out the bottom. Just let it drain and bring it up slowly a little at a time as it drains. Done it this way with cracker boxes when they have flipped. Good luck , hope you find it easily.

Propster
07-05-2006, 02:59 PM
I would be way too cheap to pay that much to pull up a small boat like that. Not when I could get my boating buddies and a diver friend to help me out for a day. They work for beer. They come up easier than you would think just by towing them off the bottom, not much more difficult than towing a boat on top of the water. You don't have to use all of the expensive lifting and recovery stuff to get a sunken boat back to the ramp.
Hell, If I didn't live so far away, I would be right there helping you get it out.

RitcheyRch
07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
Didnt know was that expensive to retrieve a boat.
I paid more than that to get mine out of CFW. How deep is the boat??

later
07-05-2006, 08:28 PM
I would be way too cheap to pay that much to pull up a small boat like that. Not when I could get my boating buddies and a diver friend to help me out for a day. They work for beer. They come up easier than you would think just by towing them off the bottom, not much more difficult than towing a boat on top of the water. You don't have to use all of the expensive lifting and recovery stuff to get a sunken boat back to the ramp.
Hell, If I didn't live so far away, I would be right there helping you get it out.Don't have that buddie deal going on.Wish I did.Thanks any way.John Case

later
07-05-2006, 08:35 PM
Didnt know was that expensive to retrieve a boat.If at any time this happens to you I will keep posting as this event goes on.I have learned so far in n.Cal There is more help than s.cal.I say this by some people I have talked to so far.That is so cool they as boaters are more willing to help out.No pun intended,Just from what I hear and the people I have talked to.Anybody willing to help this pooor man out? in s.cal?.

warpt71
07-05-2006, 09:38 PM
Don't have that buddie deal going on.Wish I did.
Later, Im local and would work for some beer! If your going to do it yourself and would like an extra pair of hands I would be willing.

RitcheyRch
07-06-2006, 04:02 AM
I would be more willing to help out if wasnt suffering from bronchitis. Also, I dont have any dive gear. When are you considering heading out to the lake to attempt to retrieve the boat?
If at any time this happens to you I will keep posting as this event goes on.I have learned so far in n.Cal There is more help than s.cal.I say this by some people I have talked to so far.That is so cool they as boaters are more willing to help out.No pun intended,Just from what I hear and the people I have talked to.Anybody willing to help this pooor man out? in s.cal?.

slotracer
07-06-2006, 05:27 AM
how deep is it? call around to local dive schools.

Rompn
07-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Later,
I am local (about 25 minutes from Piru) and am willing to lend a hand if you need it. I work for Whiskey though. :crossx:

later
07-06-2006, 11:00 AM
What I need now is somebody who has a fishing boat with a sonar and depth finder.I will pay for gas and what ever else,not made of money but will do the best I can.I am in a pinch right now because piru lake authoritys wants it out asap or fines will start to take action.Please help so.cal.Thanks.John Case

later
07-06-2006, 11:03 AM
So, What Exactly Happened? The Steering Cable Broke? How Fast Were You Going?
I was doing 35 mph on a turn ready to do a staight run.180 degree spin and down she went

later
07-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Does anybody have a fishing boat with sonar and depth finder.If so please call 818-368-1960 I will pay the day out and etc.Not rich but will do my best to make you happy.This will help the fee I have to pay.

RitcheyRch
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Hopefully some on here can help you get it. I am willing to help but cant really do much being am struggling with bronchitis.

SHIFTY
07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
I was doing 35 mph on a turn ready to do a staight run.180 degree spin and down she went
SCARY SH!T. WAS IT AN OLD CABLE, OR JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENS?

later
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Brand new cable.So the prior owner said.Looked new and felt good.

Ralph Brunt
07-06-2006, 02:29 PM
your insurance should cover it
ralph

RitcheyRch
07-06-2006, 02:51 PM
What day are you thinking about trying to get it out?

Badburn
07-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I paid about $800 to have a diver find mine and float it up with air bags at Camp far west. This was a few years ago. $4000 seems steep to me, mine was in 60 ft of water. Good luck, I'd be out helping for free if you were closer to Sacramento. :cool:

CBadDad
07-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Let us know when you're gonna attempt this. If I can break away, I'll grab a couple of buddies to help out where we can. I don't have sonar, but one of my buddy's used to be a rescue diver.

RitcheyRch
07-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Can only imagine there will be others that are willing to help.

later
07-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Can only imagine there will be others that are willing to help.This weekend

RitcheyRch
07-07-2006, 04:08 AM
Will check and see if might be able to get over there and help you.

CBadDad
07-07-2006, 05:52 AM
I will be free on Monday if you need a diver.
I pulled our race boat off the bottom B-4 it really is not all the hard.
Just let me know.
I'm free on Monday as well.

RitcheyRch
07-07-2006, 06:39 AM
I'm free after 3PM during the week.

warpt71
07-07-2006, 04:52 PM
Monday works good for me too. Im good to go any time after 1pm. Let us know when.

coolchange
07-07-2006, 05:20 PM
If the lake is calm you can find it by the oil slick. Some parts of the lake are what the locals used to call blue mud. If it backed into that it could be really stuck on the bottom. If its shallow enough to dive on with SCUBA becareful of ski ropes and lines around the boat. Thsi isn't something to be taken lightly and not worth getting hurt over. You need an experienced dive team with a dive master. If its not deep thats one thing, But if your talkin 80 - 100 ft with zero vis...lets just becareful out there.

later
07-07-2006, 06:14 PM
This Saturday I will be going to Lake Piru i am going to try to rent a pontoon boat and a gps and depth finder.Hopefully I will get lucky and be able to find a place where they rent the depth finder and gps,unless anyone here has one i can use . :idea: Again thank you very very much for the support and the offers for your help.Next time there is somebody in need ill be on of the first people to help.TY very much.
John Case :smile:

kanedog
07-07-2006, 07:00 PM
I have a marine magnetometer, gps and sonar, airbags and dive equipment.
except for the fact I am in lake Havasu everything would work out fine.
How far is it to lake Piru from Lake havasu?
How deep is the boat, approximately?

RitcheyRch
07-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Is atleast a 4-5 hour drive from Havasu.

Mohave Vice
07-07-2006, 08:26 PM
Sorry I can't be there to help. BEST of luck to you and the peeps helping you out!!

later
07-07-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a marine magnetometer, gps and sonar, airbags and dive equipment.
except for the fact I am in lake Havasu everything would work out fine.
How far is it to lake Piru from Lake havasu?
How deep is the boat, approximately?
It is about a 4 or 5 hour drive and the date has changed from saturday to sunday. how much would you charge for your time?

Brooski
07-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Looks like N8dawg, AngryJosh, Keyser and myself will be up there boating and floating on Sunday. We will look for you and lend a hand if needed. We dont dive, but may be able to offer something. What area of the lake is it in? Did you call Vessel Assist? I assume they are the ones with the high estimate.... :mad:

KACHINA KEN
07-08-2006, 08:05 AM
How deep is the water and in where is piru? I may be able to help.

later
07-08-2006, 08:12 AM
Looks like N8dawg, AngryJosh, Keyser and myself will be up there boating and floating on Sunday. We will look for you and lend a hand if needed. We dont dive, but may be able to offer something. What area of the lake is it in? Did you call Vessel Assist? I assume they are the ones with the high estimate.... :mad:
The only help at the moment is that I need to get a GPS,Depth finder so I can locate the boat.If I can get these items and a person with a boat that will save me alot of money.To spend 4000 is alot of money that I don't have at the moment and again if I can get the help would be a bleesing from the man upstairs.So I hope that miracles come true because need one right now.Thanks again and again everybody.Johh Case.The boat is located near the dam area.It is about 300 to 500 ft from the 5 mile an hour booies and about 300 to 500 ft from the cliff area.There is a big boulder sticking out of the side of the mountain,this was my loaction marker when I went down.

later
07-08-2006, 08:16 AM
How deep is the water and in where is piru? I may be able to help.
Piru is located in filmore Ca.It's about 4 to 5 hour drive from Havasue.The area that the boat sunk in is about 80 to 120 ft of water.

KACHINA KEN
07-08-2006, 08:25 AM
Piru is located in filmore Ca.It's about 4 to 5 hour drive from Havasue.The area that the boat sunk in is about 80 to 120 ft of water.
Well thats the bad thing, we have limited, very limited time at 120 ft to work, even with nitrox. Your divers will need to know cleat locations and size so the bags will accomodate them properly. bags are attached to one side first to raise her up to flip over then you add the other side to raise her up.you will also need a med size pump and genny on your recovery pontoon to pump her out then normal tow out.

JetBoatRich
07-08-2006, 12:03 PM
let us know how it goes :rolleyes:

Sherpa
07-09-2006, 07:42 AM
at 120 using 32%, you've got like 10 minutes working time....... and with
zero vis, I breathe pretty fast due to not being able to see........ it's all
by touch at that point...........
Never thought of looking out for ski ropes...... excellent point...
when it sunk, did it stay bow up-?? is the bow sealed-? no missing bow-eye,
any holes in the bow that would allow air to escape-? finding it bow-up might
be hard on sonar unless you're directly over it, but I would think it would make
for an easier recovery that way.... what do I know though.....
If you go scouting for it with a fish finder/sonar, you should have an anchor
with a rope and float ready to deploy as soon as you spot it..........
--Sherpa

Cas
07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
I'm hoping to hear some good news about this real soon!

RitcheyRch
07-09-2006, 12:44 PM
We should hear something soon.

CBadDad
07-10-2006, 08:23 AM
What's the word?

Keyser
07-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I dont know how well they did, the wind kicked up pretty bad at around 2:00. It looked like the ocean out there. We didn't see anyone in the area he talked about so I couldn't tell you if they even tried, but as Brooski put it there were some "boat sinking waves" until about 5:00.

AngryJosh
07-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Definantly not jetboat friendly. Had to keep moving or it would have swamped me. While putting it on the trailer the waves kept slamming the boat on and off the trailer, even hit the side of the dock once and by the time I got it on the trailer it took on about 30 gallons. No damage thank god!! Thanks for the ride Chris, and letting us tube behind your boat.

later
07-10-2006, 10:50 AM
Lake was to choppy to do anything.Next weekend we will try again.I am waiting on ventura search and rescue to call tomorrow.Just may maybe they may help,we will see.Thanks again everybody.I will let you know as progresses.John Case

RitcheyRch
07-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Keep us informed as to which day you might go out.

n8dawg
07-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Lake was to choppy to do anything.Next weekend we will try again.I am waiting on ventura search and rescue to call tomorrow.Just may maybe they may help,we will see.Thanks again everybody.I will let you know as progresses.John Case
If I were you I'd go out at the crack of dawn! Anything after 10 am is to choppy! Good luck!

AngryJosh
07-12-2006, 01:55 PM
I cant dive, dont have a GPS or a depth finder, but I have helped recover a boat from Naci about 14 years ago. I also have Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off from work and live only 20 minutes away. I would be willing to help man power wise. :cool:

later
07-12-2006, 03:13 PM
I cant dive, dont have a GPS or a depth finder, but I have helped recover a boat from Naci about 14 years ago. I also have Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday off from work and live only 20 minutes away. I would be willing to help man power wise. :cool:
Just waiting on the word of ranger about some contacts he may have.To be honest the way things are going I will not be able to come up with the money that is required for this.It just maybe that I have lost a boat.We will see.Just wish I had better luck than this.I just got the dam boat and did'nt even get time to enjoy it.Thanks for the offer sir.Semper fi bro.

Her454
07-13-2006, 08:59 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but is there ANY type of insurance that covers "boat recovery" in this situation? I'm sure it would be considered a total loss for the insured in most cases, IF you were insured.
Good luck with your boat, I hope you find it and get it back up safely.....

LakesOnly
07-13-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www2.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=15018
Guys, Later is a friend of mine. He has owned olds powered boats, Ford powered boats and chevy powered boats. The boat that sank was a very nice Eliminator Liberty. If anyone can possibly assist in this situation, please do. We are all a very supportive group of boaters here and sometimes the assitance of others can be invaluble.
Thanks,
LO
p.s.: John, I will be in town again this Fri-Sat-Sun on business and will give you my GPS while I'm there; you know my number. -P

RitcheyRch
07-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Any news from the ranger?
Just waiting on the word of ranger about some contacts he may have.To be honest the way things are going I will not be able to come up with the money that is required for this.It just maybe that I have lost a boat.We will see.Just wish I had better luck than this.I just got the dam boat and did'nt even get time to enjoy it.Thanks for the offer sir.Semper fi bro.

AZKC
07-13-2006, 10:33 AM
If you locate it. You could go old school and drag the bottom with some grappling hooks. Better than not trying. Fleetimus tried that first I think :idea:

later
07-14-2006, 08:18 AM
I have considered old school style,drag and drop,just have to locate boat.No word from ranger.Next step is still the sonar,fish finder,gps.I almost want to attempt diving myself if I can get my friend to lone me his equipment.I am despret at the moment.

Sherpa
07-14-2006, 08:48 AM
Later,
your last comment, even for a desperate guy isn't smart........ I used-to
think I could "dive"for stuff, using ebay bought equipment....... it's soooo
not the case........ You could literally kill yourself VERY EASILY by not
knowing "how" to dive..........
stupid things like: not letting air out of your mouth when ascending...
not stopping at 15-20 feet for a safety-stop (to help avoid decompression
sickness.) (the bends.) which alone, can permanetely F-you-up BIG TIME.
so, forget about diving yourself....... unless you're trained. even in clear
water, which is easy. diving in a lake, with probably 1-2 foot vis at best,
is scary, and can be lethal........
try and get a fix on the boat with sonar, mark it with GPS, and then coordinate a SAFE RECOVERY...........
--Sherpa

seanv
07-14-2006, 08:50 AM
if you've never dove dont do it!!! scuba is not something thats self taught and at the depths you mentioned you get into trouble real fast. lake diving is nasty to begin with and like another guy said before, you cant see a thing down there. your at a spot where you need to find it and how deep first. that will tell you your next plan. wish you were in phoenix where i could help ya.
ooops1 you caught it before me sherpa.

later
07-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the advice.

AngryJosh
07-14-2006, 11:59 AM
If you get a GPS, and plan on going up there PM me. I know you are not wanting to do this, but maybe take out a loan? The longer the boat sits down there the harder it becomes to recover. Starts settling into the mud
Plus I heard from one diver several years ago that a catfish the size of a volkswagen swam a little to close and scared the shit outta him. It was near the dam, which is where your boat is right?

ThongMagnet
07-14-2006, 01:18 PM
I would think the Ranger would have sonar on their boat. I know on a clear lake, at 60ft the visibility is zero.
***boat forum is mostly a boating site.
I would be calling all the dive schools, and fine an instructor trained in deep water. But then you need the equipment to get it too the surface, and that is what is not cheap. Airbags would be good, but not cheap, pumps are not cheap.
$4000 for a locate, dive, and recovery equals one days worth of work. I think $4000 for this job is not to high. Make a deal with them, $2500 minimum 4 hours, and if it takes more than that, go hourly at a set price.
Figure the time to get the equipment to the site, setup, locate, recovery, pack-up, travel home. I would think that would be easy 4 hours at $500 an hour. More like 8 hours.

Screemy1
07-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Hope all goes well.... try calling sheriff dive teams... amybe they can make a training dive out of it? just an idea... try all avenues.... I remeber seeing the pics of old sunk boats at Powell... it is eary to here the story behind a sunk boat... make me kinda want to stuff foam up in my bow... my boat would sink like a brick too......

ThongMagnet
07-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Hope all goes well.... try calling sheriff dive teams... amybe they can make a training dive out of it? just an idea... try all avenues.... I remeber seeing the pics of old sunk boats at Powell... it is eary to here the story behind a sunk boat... make me kinda want to stuff foam up in my bow... my boat would sink like a brick too......
it might be a good Idea to have an anchor line attached to the boat and keep a ski bouy attached to it. It would be easy to locate the boat. (hine sight)

later
07-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Looks like 80 to 180ft.Not sure yet.Monday I should hear something from a freind of mine about a diver.Looks like in 3 weeks we will see the boat again,just trying to play this right so it does not cost me a arm and a leg.Trying my best for now and I do appreciate all the advice.You guys are great and thank you so much.John Case

Screemy1
07-17-2006, 09:25 AM
it might be a good Idea to have an anchor line attached to the boat and keep a ski bouy attached to it. It would be easy to locate the boat. (hine sight)
thats not a bad idea..... maybe put 200ft of line in one of those "river" throw bags.... with the bouy attatched.... around the engine since my engine is not covered... boat sinks.....bouy floats and pays out from the throw bag.... then the sunk boat would be marked at the surface..... this sounds like a marketing idea.... something designed to fit the size of a small tackle box.... maybe even a water activated or pressure activated self inflating bouy..... I am going to look into this some more....

later
07-17-2006, 03:10 PM
Well looks like I have found a diver for $200 bucks that will attach aline to the boat.The diver suggested to tie the line to the pump because tying it to the ski rack would break.All I need now is somebody with a fish finder and gps,depth finder.I would like to know if it is a good idea for me to rent a pontoon for the day and aswell as a wentch to pull the boat.Will this work if I pull and drag pull and drag untill I get it to shalow water,then I can dive in and pull the plug.Will this Idea work?.This is starting come to a head now I got the diver.This is where I need as much help as possiable.Any Ideas out there would be great.Thank you.John

Cas
07-17-2006, 03:17 PM
The bottom of the boat is designed to lift the hull when going foward. The line needs to be tied off to the front and slowly pulled up to allow the lifting strakes help bring it up. It will also have a whole lot less drag doing it that way. Tying off to the pump and trying to drag it up that way will get you nowhere fast.

JETEATER
07-17-2006, 04:17 PM
Let us know what day and i will try to be there to help
Brian

JetBoatRich
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM
I am interested when you plan on doing this, don't know if we can help :rolleyes: depends on the Calendar

kanedog
07-17-2006, 07:41 PM
locate boat first, then bring out diver

JETEATER
07-17-2006, 07:47 PM
I have a Handheld GPS if that will work

RitcheyRch
07-18-2006, 04:05 AM
I'll 3rd that. :)
Cas is ABSOLUTELY correct. DO NOT TIE TO THE PUMP!!!! You need to tie the rope to the hook on the front of the boat. If you get the chance you need to pull the plug also. As you slowly drag the boat around the water will drain out.

ThongMagnet
07-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Bring two ropes. tie one to the pump and one to the eye bow. If the eye hook fails you'll have the pump still tied.
Have pumps and/or buckets ready to bail. I'd leave the plug in so you don't lose it during the dive. It's not going to make a difference until the boat is on the water surface, and you won't want to stop until your in the shallow protion of the lake
Good luck

later
07-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Does anybody know of a Jim Drake or Jim Drennon located in Sunland Tajunga CA.If so let me know.May have a contact for lift.Thank you.John Case

LAFD
07-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Does anybody know of a Jim Drake or Jim Drennon located in Sunland Tajunga CA.If so let me know.May have a contact for lift.Thank you.John Case
does he have a shop i live in sunland.

PBR
07-18-2006, 11:14 AM
The first thing that needs to be done is to find out the depth of the water in the area that the boat went down in.
Knowing the depth will determine if a dive operation is feasible.

scarabrick2
07-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Have the diver bring down two ropes. Use a steel carabiner to snap in on the BOW eye. use the other rope and snap onto the stern eye or tow eye. On the stern eye rope, tie a large BUMPER/fender something that floats so in case the bow eye breaks from the load you won't lose location of the boat. Never tie you sunk boat off to the tow boat. You have to keep the towing boat in motion at all times.just go ahead slow under 3 mph and take your time. Remember that is a big load on your towing boat and the LINE. Don't have anyone stand near teh tow line in case it breaks.
My buddy has a Dive shop in Thousand OAKS
Channel island scuba 805 230 9995 MIKE Dahan
He's the owner and might be able to help you out.
Tell him Rick Borba sent you his way

coolchange
07-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Here's my .02 Tie 2 lines to the bow. Can't tell you how many boats I've seen come up then right back down cause a line snaps. Remeber when the boat is under water it weighs what it weighs, as soon as it starts above the water line it gets REALLY heavy until the water comes to lake level. Just because the bow is starting out doesn't mean its empty.
I would not put lift bags on the boat but rather on the lines at about 50 ft. This is an easier working depth and still has the same lift. I've heard of boats completely leaving the water because of to much air in the bow to get it off the bottom and by the time it gets near the surface its a lot of air and hauling ass. Also boats do come up on their back, so be prepared to deal with that. Try West Coast Divers onn Sherman way at Balboa. there used to be some hard livin divers hangin out there back in the day, maybe they can hook you up.

later
07-19-2006, 10:17 AM
Anybody willing to help me locate my boat.My friend has to go out of town and that put me on hold.Back to sqares.I have a diver and a person to get the boat up.Just need to find it.

RitcheyRch
07-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Did the ranger ever call you back?
Anybody willing to help me locate my boat.My friend has to go out of town and that put me on hold.Back to sqares.I have a diver and a person to get the boat up.Just need to find it.

Sherpa
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Here's my .02 Tie 2 lines to the bow. Can't tell you how many boats I've seen come up then right back down cause a line snaps. Remeber when the boat is under water it weighs what it weighs, as soon as it starts above the water line it gets REALLY heavy until the water comes to lake level. Just because the bow is starting out doesn't mean its empty.
I would not put lift bags on the boat but rather on the lines at about 50 ft. This is an easier working depth and still has the same lift. I've heard of boats completely leaving the water because of to much air in the bow to get it off the bottom and by the time it gets near the surface its a lot of air and hauling ass. Also boats do come up on their back, so be prepared to deal with that. Try West Coast Divers onn Sherman way at Balboa. there used to be some hard livin divers hangin out there back in the day, maybe they can hook you up.
here's the scoop on the lift bags..... since air underwater doubles in cubic
measurement every 33 feet, that is equal to 1 fathom.
so, say your boat is at 100 feet. a diver goes down with a lift bag that will
hold 10 cubic feet of air.... he fills it up. the boat lifts, and at 66 feet up,
that 10 cubic feeet of air is now 20 cubic feet of air... but the bag didn't get
any bigger, so the presure doubled, or the bag ripped, sending the boat down
again...... and at 33 feet the air doubled again, so now there's 40 cu feet of
air in the bag... did it expand yet-? and at the surface, you now have 80
cubic feet or air in the bag......... I hopei t didn't pop yet.......
most lift bags have air pop-off valves in them similar to an air valve in a diver's BC jacket...... preset to open at the certain pressure.
I'd tie at least 2 ropes to the bow, and if possible one on the stern. if the
diver can take down a small safety sausage dive marker, and inflate it
with a rope attached to mark the boat if anything happens again...
--Sherpa
good luck, and hope the diver-dude is capable of doing this, and not some
guy with tanks at home...
--Sherpa

77charger
07-19-2006, 04:33 PM
do you mean 1 atmosphere.I thought 1 fathom was 15ft?

PBR
07-19-2006, 05:41 PM
do you mean 1 atmosphere.I thought 1 fathom was 15ft?
Since you brought it up, I, too, think he meant atmosphere. (And a fathom is 6 feet.)

77charger
07-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Since you brought it up, I, too, think he meant atmosphere. (And a fathom is 6 feet.)
yup you are right on the fathom part i was trying to remember 15 fathoms equal 90 ft.i dont know how i got 15.

AirtimeLavey
07-19-2006, 08:33 PM
Man, this thread is like Discovery Channel ***boat (I guess that would be something like D.C.hB.). Very cool stuff (not to make light of your loss). It sounds a bit tricky, and even potentially very dangerous. Think it through. Not worth injury or worse.... Best of luck to you in the recovery. :cool:

later
07-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Next weekend this will happen,sat or sun maybe both.So here we go and it looks like this may just cost about $1500.00.I pray it will.I will keep everybody informed and thanks again guys.John case

RitcheyRch
07-20-2006, 09:10 AM
Good luck. Do you mean this coming weekend?
QUOTE=later]Next weekend this will happen,sat or sun maybe both.So here we go and it looks like this may just cost about $1500.00.I pray it will.I will keep everybody informed and thanks again guys.John case[/QUOTE]

DUNDUN
07-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Next weekend this will happen,sat or sun maybe both.So here we go and it looks like this may just cost about $1500.00.I pray it will.I will keep everybody informed and thanks again guys.John case
good to hear.
good luck. and i hope it works out and we can be seeing pictures of your boat floating again in a couple days. =]

later
07-20-2006, 09:51 AM
Not this week end next.I am going to video this process and post pics as well.

JetBoatRich
07-20-2006, 01:44 PM
The last weekend of July, 29 & 30th. :rolleyes:

DUNDUN
07-20-2006, 03:50 PM
sorry, next couple weeks i guess.
nontheless, i cant wait to see it floating again. :)

n8dawg
07-20-2006, 04:20 PM
good luck bro! :crossx:

coolchange
07-20-2006, 05:46 PM
so, say your boat is at 100 feet. a diver goes down with a lift bag that will
hold 10 cubic feet of air.... he fills it up. the boat lifts, and at 66 feet up,
that 10 cubic feeet of air is now 20 cubic feet of air... but the bag didn't get
any bigger, so the presure doubled, or the bag ripped, sending the boat down
again...... and at 33 feet the air doubled again, so now there's 40 cu feet of
air in the bag... did it expand yet-? and at the surface, you now have 80
cubic feet or air in the bag......... I hopei t didn't pop yet.......
--Sherpa
A 10 ft bag is 10ft at any depth. The point I was trying to make was if you are trying to lift the boat by bagging in the bow, (which I've seen done many times) that 10 ft will be 30+ from 100ft depth. Your gonna need at least 35cf of air and maybe 40 to float that boat. And you may need much more to unstick from the bottom if its in the mud( lets hope not!) If you have 50 ft. hooked to it and it comes loose its gonna be haulin. Thats why I said if you bag it at 50 ft depth and maybe pull on it a little to un stick it you have a managable situation. Do the math, your boat weighs AT LEAST 2000 #.

Rompn
07-21-2006, 02:03 PM
I'm still willing to do what I can. I have a 550 jet ski that may be helpful bringing items to and from the boat. Or the diver himself. Or maybe I just need an excuse to go to the lake.
:crossx:

Brooski
07-22-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm still willing to do what I can. I have a 550 jet ski that may be helpful bringing items to and from the boat. Or the diver himself. Or maybe I just need an excuse to go to the lake.
:crossx:
Great idea, but jet skis are not allowed at Piru.

rrrr
07-22-2006, 06:48 PM
A 10 ft bag is 10ft at any depth. The point I was trying to make was if you are trying to lift the boat by bagging in the bow, (which I've seen done many times) that 10 ft will be 30+ from 100ft depth. Your gonna need at least 35cf of air and maybe 40 to float that boat. And you may need much more to unstick from the bottom if its in the mud( lets hope not!) If you have 50 ft. hooked to it and it comes loose its gonna be haulin. Thats why I said if you bag it at 50 ft depth and maybe pull on it a little to un stick it you have a managable situation. Do the math, your boat weighs AT LEAST 2000 #.
In 1985 I found and recovered a friend's jet boat in 60' of water, it wasn't easy. Locating and raising a boat at 120' is gonna be tough, and it's a job for experts IMO.
The boat broke loose and came up with 30 cu ft of air at that depth. We had a relief vent in the bags to handle the pressure change.
I seem to remember I calculated the amount of lift needed by estimating the weight of the water displaced by the boat as it floated normally, and that figure was close to the amount required. Luck? Prolly. :rollside:
I wish you luck, just remember that the boat isn't worth injury or death.

Sherpa
07-23-2006, 06:30 AM
you guys are right.... atmosphere, not fathom........ my bad. I've been stuck
in the fab for four 12 hr days in a row. sucks.
good luck with the recovery.
-Sherpa
-

Rompn
07-23-2006, 02:26 PM
Great idea, but jet skis are not allowed at Piru.
Really. Didn't know that. Good thing someone said something. :boxed:

later
07-23-2006, 03:07 PM
OK thats it.I'm giving up on the damn thing!!Whomever is interested IT IS YOURS [SIZE=2]I am selling it for 3,500 or anyother offer you can pull it out i got connections it will cost you below 2,000 I will help.That is all!I will help call me @ home (818)368-1960 or at work (818)842-8346 ext.120 ask for John case :mad:

PBR
07-23-2006, 07:56 PM
OK thats it.I'm giving up on the damn thing!!Whomever is interested IT IS YOURS [SIZE=2]I am selling it for 3,500 or anyother offer you can pull it out i got connections it will cost you below 2,000 I will help.That is all!I will help call me @ home (818)368-1960 or at work (818)842-8346 ext.120 ask for John case :mad:
A change of heart, John?

JetBoatRich
07-23-2006, 08:05 PM
hate to see you quit now, you lined up a lot of help :mad: at the same time, I would be concerned with the safety of the rescue. I talked to a couple others and we were going to try and go out Saturday to Piru

W.O.T
07-23-2006, 09:59 PM
im sorry about your boat that is very scary. made me think alot about my boat and the saftey of any passengers. it seems like hiring the professional dive team would be the way to go just let them deal with it all and get your boat back. goodluck either way only give up if you really have no other options. im glad you and your family are safe

SoCal_fun
07-24-2006, 12:05 AM
I'm sorry you are giving up, but won't you have to pay a fine for just leaving it there?
What about the environmental impact?
How long can it stay down before it's ruined??
Sorry bout your luck dude.

LUVNLIFE
07-24-2006, 04:04 AM
Maybe a stupid question, but is there ANY type of insurance that covers "boat recovery" in this situation? I'm sure it would be considered a total loss for the insured in most cases, IF you were insured.
Good luck with your boat, I hope you find it and get it back up safely.....
Insurance helped me recover my 19' Daytona. Rates didn't increase either because the police report stated it was not my fault.

RitcheyRch
07-24-2006, 06:42 AM
Sorry to hear you are giving up on it. Would sure be nice to see you recover it and rebuild it.

later
07-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the support guys.Just that this is getting the best of me and I am very flustered about this.I will shoot for this weeend to locate the boat and then proceed from there.Looks like a saturday thing early in the morning

RitcheyRch
07-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Dont let it get the best of you. You will feel much better once you get it out of the water and start rebuilding it.
Thanks for the support guys.Just that this is getting the best of me and I am very flustered about this.I will shoot for this weeend to locate the boat and then proceed from there.Looks like a saturday thing early in the morning

marty722
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
you wll be sorry to see some other person driving your boat. The pics look good and well worth the time and money to get it out..... Hell refinance the house if you have to. :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

Cas
07-24-2006, 05:30 PM
Just that this is getting the best of me and I am very flustered about this.
you need to give Fleet another call. None of us know that feeling moreso than you and him.

Sherpa
07-25-2006, 06:22 AM
does Piru lake level fluctuate much at all-? If it's at a deep depth, maybe
waiting till early fall could be a help..... temps not as hot to work in, and
shallower depth......... As of yet, it doesn't sound like it's even been located
yet.
--Sherpa

Screemy1
07-25-2006, 09:01 AM
what kind of fines are there for leaving it??? if you do leave it... does the lake athority go and recover it??? so it is not left on the bottom..... what are the costs adding up to.... what are the costs going to be to get it running again? Would you be able to do the work yourself in tearing down the engine??? I know not everyone has the time or skills/ tools to do the job... if you have to pay out to get her fixed... the costs might out way the recovery..... when the cable broke on the steering... did the boat hit the water hard... is there any possible damage to the boat from the sinking itself??? hate to see all this work to get her up and it be badly damaged.... I just wish I was an experianced diver.... I would go for free... nothing more exciting then diving for an actual cause. Dive a lake you would never dive normally because there is actual tresure at the bottom... get a picture with the recoverd boat in dive gear... that pic and story should be payment enough. Just my ramblings.... if this was two years into the future... I would have the experiance and dive for it..... Good luck, and remeber that in the years ahead... you will look back at this as one of those things that is crazy in your life.... GOOD LUCK< HOPE EVERYTHING WORKS OUT

RitcheyRch
07-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Been trying to get my sheriff friend that is an experienced diver but looks like he on vacation in La Paz. He actually part of the sheriff search and rescue team.

Rompn
07-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Been trying to get my sheriff friend that is an experienced diver but looks like he on vacation in La Paz. He actually part of the sheriff search and rescue team.
Oh ya, my uncle is too. He works full time on the big ass "Air 5" helicopter.

Screemy1
07-25-2006, 09:19 AM
that would be perfect.... a training dive deep water recovery... if it was a body.... they would just wait for them to float up.... but a plane crash or something elese like that in a lake.... excellent training experiance.... good luck

RitcheyRch
07-25-2006, 09:34 AM
I tried to get in contact with him. He always seemed to look for an excuse to go diving.
Oh ya, my uncle is too. He works full time on the big ass "Air 5" helicopter.

later
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys.The part that has to be done this weekend,is to locate and find the boat.Trying to get a fish finder and GPS plus a pontoon or something that floats to get me out there.I will keep everybody informed as I go.Doubt theres alot of damage just being underwater for a month.I will rebuild if it is not alot of damage.When the cable broke,it just fish tailed in a circle.I just keep thinking of the kid's and what could of happened.Never again will I go over 35mph with the kids in the boat.If that cable had of broke when I was doing a straight run I would have killed us all.So in that being said,for all of you guys that have kids.Keep it down untill your alone.

CHEETER-JOE
07-25-2006, 02:27 PM
DONT GIVE UP!!!!! I have been watching this topic since it started. If I could help, I would, but I dont have a finder or diving experience. Looks like a nice boat from the pic posted.

later
07-27-2006, 02:30 PM
Well people here it is.A person by name of Gene Carlson came to my rescue to help me locate the boat.He said that he is not in it for the money but it will be worth every pennie to me,so to his surprice he will be paid in full.This guy came out of the blue,a friend of a friend herd from a friend.So god has blessed me again.August 3rd we will be charting the area and with some luck and a good day we will send a line down there with an anchor and prepair for the diver.So untill next time.Over and out.And thanks again guys.Your great.John Case

RitcheyRch
07-27-2006, 03:38 PM
Good luck. Glad to hear someone is willing to help. Please keep us posted.

Classic Daycruiser
07-28-2006, 02:15 PM
Well people here it is.A person by name of Gene Carlson came to my rescue to help me locate the boat.He said that he is not in it for the money but it will be worth every pennie to me,so to his surprice he will be paid in full.This guy came out of the blue,a friend of a friend herd from a friend.So god has blessed me again.August 3rd we will be charting the area and with some luck and a good day we will send a line down there with an anchor and prepair for the diver.So untill next time.Over and out.And thanks again guys.Your great.John Case
Dam....And I was going to make him an offer for the trailer :) :) :)
Good lock with the boat!!!
and a special thanks Gene Calson for helping! We want pictures :idea:

SHIFTY
07-28-2006, 02:32 PM
I SURE HOPE Brooski DOESN't GO OUT THERE WITH A SIX PACK AND FLOAT NEXT TO YOU GUYS SO HE CAN HECKLE YA LIKE HE SAID HE WAS...

JetBoatRich
07-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Good luck John :cool: keep us posted, we will headed out of town that weekend but check this thread for updates :cool:

Fired Up
07-28-2006, 09:25 PM
And yes. The lake level will drop since it is used for irrigation down through the valley. It will drop considerably by the end of the year. Not saying you have to wait this long, just that you have options down the road. Good luck.

Sherpa
07-30-2006, 11:33 AM
I hope you're bringing a GPS to lock the spot where it sits.........
and definetely take depth measurements.......... I'm really curious to
know how deep it is.....
--Sherpa
and good luck......

later
07-31-2006, 09:27 AM
How much damage can be done by the boat sitting in the water this long?.

YeLLowBoaT
07-31-2006, 09:31 AM
The fiber glass and the wood should be fine. just make sure you dry it out completly.

later
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Great idea using a magnet to stick on engine.Today they started draining the lake.They told me 120 cfm.What does this mean in regards to level.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
Hopefully they dont drain too much of the lake where you wont be able to get out and recover it.

later
07-31-2006, 02:19 PM
Well today was the first time I measured 150 ft and man I did not know the boat fell from that distance.At the rate it was falling down I could only imagine the damage that has been done.I would also think it landed face down.Any reaction to this?.

Her454
07-31-2006, 02:53 PM
Later, back in the 70's there was a boat that sank in Havasu after being swamped by a larger boat. I think they broke a fuel line and were just sitting there trying to fix it and the other boat sank them. The boat was a beauty for back in its day and was a complete loss. The boat was found some 20+ years later, accidentally while some divers were searching for another lost vessel. They found it sticking transom down, straight up in not too deep of water actually. The boat was in incredibly good shape for being under so many years. There is a feature in ***boat about it in the early 90's I believe titled "Sunken Treasure" or something like that. Always been one of my favorite articles and has fantastic pics. You'd be surprised of the condition they stay in.

haysonj
07-31-2006, 03:08 PM
The boat would fall slowly because the water acts as a ballast we did some camera work at 160 ft in whale rock resvoir and the visibilty at that depth with an infred camera was only about 3 feet the bottom of the lake had about 2 feet of soft silt so I doubt the boat is hurt. If any air is trapped in the bow it will be sitting bow up. with a camera and pvc pipe you could hook a line in the bow eye and tow it to shallow water. We set bulkheads on an intake structure that weighed 800 pounds but in the water two men could pull them up

later
07-31-2006, 03:13 PM
It,s not so much how long it sit's but the drop and weight and how far it went.Guess I am so close to this thing comin up and I am just prepairing myself for the worst.Just say 150 foot drop at 1200 pounds what kind of scenarios are there?.

PBR
07-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Great idea using a magnet to stick on engine.Today they started draining the lake.They told me 120 cfm.What does this mean in regards to level.
The only thing that tells you is the rate that the water is being let out. 120 cubic feet a minute.

Cas
07-31-2006, 03:22 PM
the weight is mostly in the back so it's probably stuck in the bottom like a dart. As far as damage goes, Fleet's boat came up with nary a problem caused by the sinking. What made it sink is another story.
As far as using a magnet, good luck if you have aluminum valve covers and scoop, the magnet will probably just slip right on by....we tried it with Fleet's.

RitcheyRch
07-31-2006, 03:42 PM
As others have stated. With any air trapped in the bow the boat went down slowly and shouldnt have much damage if any. Hopefully it is bow up.
When are you going to get it?

coolchange
07-31-2006, 04:28 PM
It,s not so much how long it sit's but the drop and weight and how far it went.Guess I am so close to this thing comin up and I am just prepairing myself for the worst.Just say 150 foot drop at 1200 pounds what kind of scenarios are there?.
Was this a potato chip race boat? IF not you might want to recalculate your weight.

LUVNLIFE
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
Later, back in the 70's there was a boat that sank in Havasu after being swamped by a larger boat. I think they broke a fuel line and were just sitting there trying to fix it and the other boat sank them. The boat was a beauty for back in its day and was a complete loss. The boat was found some 20+ years later, accidentally while some divers were searching for another lost vessel. They found it sticking transom down, straight up in not too deep of water actually. The boat was in incredibly good shape for being under so many years. There is a feature in ***boat about it in the early 90's I believe titled "Sunken Treasure" or something like that. Always been one of my favorite articles and has fantastic pics. You'd be surprised of the condition they stay in.
I remember that story. I think it was a hydro that went down and now it looks sweet :cool:

PBR
07-31-2006, 04:57 PM
What you can count on; the boat sunk stern first, and the nozzle was the first thing to strike the bottom.
After that it's anybodys guess. It may be bow up, sitting upright, upside down, or something in between.
Damage to the boat from striking the bottom? If any, probably not that bad.
But you won't know 'till it's recovered.
Will your diver make a 150', high altitude, fresh water jump?

Cas
07-31-2006, 07:47 PM
when Fleet's boat went down, I had a long conversation with the person that owns this company
http://www.laidbackboaters.com/7e6493f0.gif
http://www.metropolitanmarine.com/images/home_emergency.gif
I don't recall his name but he's done numerous recoveries and has a wealth of knowledge that he's willing to share. If you haven't already, you really should give him a call. Speculation isn't a good thing for your mindset.

Acommanderguy
08-01-2006, 05:23 PM
I still want to know how this cable broke? Being a jet owner myself, I have never seen a cbale like that break. The only cable I have ever broken was the gate cable. But I knew it was going bad bc it was very very tight! then I broke the gate itself. Ws the steering cable tight or lose? There has to be another explanation for what happened to that steering cable. Also did you let the throttle off slowly or what?

RitcheyRch
08-01-2006, 07:06 PM
What day are you going to attempt the recovery??

H20 Toie
08-01-2006, 08:41 PM
Maybe we should go for a package deal. I have a 18' Rayson Craft at the bottom of Pyramid lake, but it's been there for 20 yrs

pixrthis
08-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Maybe we should go for a package deal. I have a 18' Rayson Craft at the bottom of Pyramid lake, but it's been there for 20 yrs
do tell

RitcheyRch
08-02-2006, 07:12 AM
You think its still there? If is still there most likely is now a fish sanctuary.

JetBoatRich
08-02-2006, 07:40 AM
be interesting to see :rolleyes:

later
08-02-2006, 07:43 AM
Tomorrow morning at 7am I will be at lake piru.I am going to meet up with a guy who has said he will help to loacate the boat.At that point I drop an anchor with a floater ball tape'd with chrome tape and drop the floater about 10 feet.The next step after that is going to be the divers come out and attach a couple of ropes to the front and the back of the boat,then I rent a pontoon over at the lake and begin to slowly pull and tug untill the boat is worked out of the mud.I will need help at that point to pull the boat up.The plan will be that 1 guy drives the pontoon and myself and somebody else will pull the rope as we are going.At that time the boat should come up slowly as we are driving.When I see the boat I will atempt to jump out and hold on to the back of my boat and pull the plug.If everything goes as plan'ed,I will solve this on going issue for about $600.00.Not bad.I hope that the boat will come up that easy.We will see.I will bring the video camera and take some shots as well.This should be a sight to see for everyone.Thanks again guys and no,my boat is not a fish sancuary,at least I hope not

Her454
08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
and no,my boat is not a fish sancuary,at least I hope not
Good luck, and I do believe he was referring to the Rayson Craft of 20 years..................

OutCole'd
08-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Best of luck! I hope all goes well with this.

HavasuSelect
08-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Good luck and be safe!

NautiTwins
08-02-2006, 12:26 PM
Tomorrow morning at 7am I will be at lake piru.I am going to meet up with a guy who has said he will help to loacate the boat.At that point I drop an anchor with a floater ball tape'd with chrome tape and drop the floater about 10 feet.The next step after that is going to be the divers come out and attach a couple of ropes to the front and the back of the boat,then I rent a pontoon over at the lake and begin to slowly pull and tug untill the boat is worked out of the mud.I will need help at that point to pull the boat up.The plan will be that 1 guy drives the pontoon and myself and somebody else will pull the rope as we are going.At that time the boat should come up slowly as we are driving.When I see the boat I will atempt to jump out and hold on to the back of my boat and pull the plug.If everything goes as plan'ed,I will solve this on going issue for about $600.00.Not bad.I hope that the boat will come up that easy.We will see.I will bring the video camera and take some shots as well.This should be a sight to see for everyone.Thanks again guys and no,my boat is not a fish sancuary,at least I hope not
Good luck and be safe. Also, does the rental company know what you are going to be using the pontoon for? Another thing that sounds scary is you getting out of the pontoon to release the plug. Why not have the diver do it while the boat is still underwater? It seems safer then you getting out while the pontoon is underway. Just my .02

Devilman
08-02-2006, 12:36 PM
I've been following your thread Later & wish you & all parties involved good luck. A sunken jetboat was retrieved from the bottom of Lake Mathis here in Texas a few years ago, using pretty much the same method to get her back on top. Once the boat broke the surface & were pulling it along, one of the guys jumped in & bailed water with a 5 gallon bucket. Why they didn't just pull the plug, I do not know. :rollside: Regardless, the boat was saved & they all lived happily ever after. There are a few pics of the procedure in the HB Image Gallery. I know if you do a search for "Jetfest", they can be found that way if anybody is interested.... Be careful & good luck! Looking forward to seeing pics of your boat floating again. :)

Sherpa
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
there is a strong possiblity that the boat might come up upside down......
there are no knows for doing this......... safety is key obviously. you're saying
you're going to locate it, then rent a boat to pull it-? and mark it inbetween
the two episodes........... I'd mark that with a very visble bouy for sure, unless you're not going to do the boat-pull/recovery the same day... if that's
the case, you should mark the spot using gps, and do like you mentioned with
an underwater marker...............
I wish I was closer and could come assist....... it sounds like fun, and rewarding for you. hope it all works out.........
I certainly wouldn't tow it into deeper water trying to raise it, but pulling it
into shallowed water might damage more since it could hit more stuff under-
water before it begins to rise.......
I'd still bag it to lift it............
--Sherpa

RitcheyRch
08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Good luck. Definitely looking forward to some pictures and/or video. Wish could help.
I was referring to the boat that has been in Pyramid for 20 years as a fish sanctuary.

olbiezer
08-02-2006, 01:04 PM
how did it go?

CBadDad
08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
I really wish that I could be there to assist, just for the experience.
Good luck to you and remember - "Safety First!"

Devilman
08-02-2006, 01:35 PM
there is a strong possiblity that the boat might come up upside down......
there are no knows for doing this......... safety is key obviously. you're saying
you're going to locate it, then rent a boat to pull it-? and mark it inbetween
the two episodes........... I'd mark that with a very visble bouy for sure, unless you're not going to do the boat-pull/recovery the same day... if that's
the case, you should mark the spot using gps, and do like you mentioned with
an underwater marker...............
Very good idea. The boat I mentioned in Lake Mathis was marked with a ski-vest tied to the boat(it went down slow) & somebody else came along that same afternoon & took the ski-vest, so they had to start over if I remember correctly.
I certainly wouldn't tow it into deeper water trying to raise it, but pulling it
into shallowed water might damage more since it could hit more stuff under-
water before it begins to rise.......
I'd still bag it to lift it............
--Sherpa
Also, very true. There was a thread in Just Jets not too long ago, Apollo77 I think was his username. His boat sank in relatively shallow waters & the people recovering his boat did some pretty serious damage to it from dragging it across stuff underwater. He had pics of the after-math, wasn't pretty.....

gfinch
08-02-2006, 09:40 PM
Make sure you wear a good life jacket, so if you get seperated from the pontoon it can keep going in a wide circle and back to you.
A thought. If you clip floatation to the rope, as you go forward the rope will pull thru the clip and the float should lift the boat to the surface. Once on/close to the surface clip more floatation to the transom.
Once the boat is leval get it to the launch ramp sink the trailer and set the boat over the trailer. Once the trailer and boat are close , ever so SLOWLY bring the boat out. Boats are made to float on water, NOT hold water.

RitcheyRch
08-03-2006, 04:11 AM
We should be getting a report sometime this morning.

RitcheyRch
08-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Anyone hear anything?? Inquiring minds wanna know.

seanv
08-03-2006, 02:32 PM
i really hope he got that thing up on the trailer!

RitcheyRch
08-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Me too.
i really hope he got that thing up on the trailer!

Acommanderguy
08-03-2006, 10:52 PM
i am curious also

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 03:59 AM
Surprised we havent heard anything.

seanv
08-04-2006, 11:05 AM
maybe it went so well, he's cleaning it up and to busy to post. we could hope that's the reason.

later
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
Well folks.We have to go back out thursday of next week and verify that the boat is where it should be.So hang in there and looks good.After that will be diving and lifting.That hopefully will be next weekend.When it happens I would hope you local boaters will be there for support.You guys are great and I thank you so much for the intrest.Hang in there it's coming soon.John Case

seanv
08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Well folks.We have to go back out thursday of next week and verify that the boat is where it should be.So hang in there and looks good.After that will be diving and lifting.That hopefully will be next weekend.When it happens I would hope you local boaters will be there for support.You guys are great and I thank you so much for the intrest.Hang in there it's coming soon.John Case
we're all rootn' for ya john! im really lookin forward to seein pix of you drivin that thing.

RitcheyRch
08-04-2006, 02:01 PM
One more week. :(

eek-a-RAT
08-07-2006, 08:29 AM
im gettin anxious over here, hope its goin well! good luck !

Acommanderguy
08-07-2006, 12:28 PM
well maybe some of us can make it out there this weekend and either help or cheer you on

RitcheyRch
08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
Wish I could help.
well maybe some of us can make it out there this weekend and either help or cheer you on

Searcher
08-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, John, Are we gonna find this thing or not?
Gene

RitcheyRch
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Is tomorrow the big day?

later
08-09-2006, 08:01 PM
Well, John, Are we gonna find this thing or not?
Gene
this thursday i have to work and next thursday is my day off @ 7 AM I will meet you at lake Piru thank you for your paitence if u need to call me call me at 818 368 1960.Again thank you so much looking forward to meeting you.I sure hope we do find it
-John Case

later
08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
looks like next weekend the boats up i will inform all as we proceed. thank you
John Case

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 03:58 AM
Wow, not sure gonna be able to wait another week.

JetBoatRich
08-10-2006, 04:01 AM
You are going out August 17th?

later
08-10-2006, 08:03 AM
Wow, not sure gonna be able to wait another week.
How do you think I feel.Wish this can move faster but the timing and money is the factor as well as my work.Hate to see it take so long.I am trapped.

RitcheyRch
08-10-2006, 09:05 AM
Definitely can relate to the timing, money and work factor. We all just as anxious to see you retrieve the boat and get it back together.
QUOTE=later]How do you think I feel.Wish this can move faster but the timing and money is the factor as well as my work.Hate to see it take so long.I am trapped.[/QUOTE]

boater72
08-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Good luck, and I do believe he was referring to the Rayson Craft of 20 years..................
You are corect Tracy. It also had a nice blower engine in it and it was found down by black meadows. It was one of my favort stories also.
Jeff

Jesster
08-10-2006, 03:42 PM
This thread has been restarted in the sandbar section with great results. Here (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124244)
Props to Froggystyle, he is the man. Everybody should go buy a Revolution (http://www.tridentboats.com/) now. :rollside: :idea: