PDA

View Full Version : Going to Catalina in Spring

GoCiggie31
01-06-2006, 09:33 PM
Our family is planning a couple day mini vacation out in Catalina in April and was wondering were is a good place to launch and keep a truck & a 31' boat trailer safely and secured while at Catalina.
Several years ago we launched at the public Lb harbor but was always concerned about truck and trailer while out on the island
Thank you

Riverkid
01-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Newport Dunes.

GHT
01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I SOOOOOO want to go and spend the night Sat night come back Sun. We have never been and the wife is a little aprehensive about it. She would be much more comfortable if it were a large group going.
My goal is to go at least ONCE this year..

Garrddogg
01-06-2006, 09:59 PM
I SOOOOOO want to go and spend the night Sat night come back Sun. We have never been and the wife is a little aprehensive about it. She would be much more comfortable if it were a large group going.
My goal is to go at least ONCE this year..
once? hell well do it a bunch! its great over there! im flyin to portland tomorrow to check on an old cruiser to run AND stay on over there i cant wait..

GHT
01-06-2006, 10:00 PM
once? hell well do it a bunch! its great over there! im flyin to portland tomorrow to check on an old cruiser to run AND stay on over there i cant wait..
What will you do? Drive it over and slip it then run the Kachina back and forth? or just drive the cruiser back and forth?

Garrddogg
01-06-2006, 10:01 PM
Our family is planning a couple day mini vacation out in Catalina in April and was wondering were is a good place to launch and keep a truck & a 31' boat trailer safely and secured while at Catalina.
Several years ago we launched at the public Lb harbor but was always concerned about truck and trailer while out on the island
Thank you
ive only stayed over night once and left the rig at the ramp in long beach at 2nd st and pch i was worried but all was fine and not even a ticket for the extra day (we decided to stay while already on the island)

Garrddogg
01-06-2006, 10:02 PM
What will you do? Drive it over and slip it then run the Kachina back and forth? or just drive the cruiser back and forth?
the cruiser and maybe tow the kachina for fun while at the island.

GoCiggie31
01-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Thanks Riverkid and Force-good info

GHT
01-06-2006, 10:06 PM
the cruiser and maybe tow the kachina for fun while at the island.
Sounds Awesome.. Let us know when the dates are... We will make every attempt to go...

GoCiggie31
01-07-2006, 09:35 AM
GHT,
For me,
it took
awhile to convince my wife to boat on over to Catalina in our boat.
-1st objection: our Boat is soooo small
Response: Big boats use little boats to save women and children.
-2nd objection: what happens if our boat breaks down.
Response: A VHF handheld and we will follow one of the shuttle boats that routinely go back and forth from the mainland to Avalon; if any problems we will just flag down one of the shuttles :rollside:
So, we paced the shuttle until she(my wife) got a little quezy going sooooo slow so I pointed the boat toward what looked like an island and went for it.
With all the wild life we encountered (dolphins, birds and fresh air) along the way, she was sold.
Just can't wait to make the crossing to Avalon again.

H20 Toie
01-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey Don,
I'll let you know when i go and you guys can either ride with me the first time or follow. If you are running in the ocean you should have a vhf radio and i would also get Vessel Assist. It is a great run out there.

burtandnancy
01-07-2006, 11:04 AM
Only 1 person answered your question, where to leave your truck and trailer while you're at the island. Well, the best security is Newport Dunes as someone said, the only downer is the loooong idle out; prox 45 minutes. If you have no problem with the long idle, the scenery is OK on the way in and out. 2nd Avenue and Long Beach are real quick, but I hate it when you come back and your wheels are gone, or the whole rig for that matter. April is usually a good water month, just a little cool until you get to Catalina...

Quality Time
01-07-2006, 12:08 PM
I third the Dunes for security reasons. The ramps are nice and the docks are long. Bring a hose and quarters for the flush/wash down rack.

Havasu Hangin'
01-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I fourth the Dunes. It's a longer idle to get out, but a little closer and smoother ride over.
PS- Keep in mind that Avalon moorings are first come, first served. I went over there in the Spring last year, and had to turn around because they were full, and I didn't want to risk anchoring with the other bumper-boats.

GHT
01-07-2006, 02:24 PM
GHT,
For me,
it took
awhile to convince my wife to boat on over to Catalina in our boat.
-1st objection: our Boat is soooo small
Response: Big boats use little boats to save women and children.
-2nd objection: what happens if our boat breaks down.
Response: A VHF handheld and we will follow one of the shuttle boats that routinely go back and forth from the mainland to Avalon; if any problems we will just flag down one of the shuttles :rollside:
So, we paced the shuttle until she(my wife) got a little quezy going sooooo slow so I pointed the boat toward what looked like an island and went for it.
With all the wild life we encountered (dolphins, birds and fresh air) along the way, she was sold.
Just can't wait to make the crossing to Avalon again.
Interesting points.. I know she would be sold if she would just go on ONE run.

GHT
01-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Hey Don,
I'll let you know when i go and you guys can either ride with me the first time or follow. If you are running in the ocean you should have a vhf radio and i would also get Vessel Assist. It is a great run out there.
I think we will do it in our boat. It would be nice if you were going too. Because I may need a tow boat.. :rolleyes:

burtandnancy
01-07-2006, 02:36 PM
Thats a trip you don't want to do by yourself the first time, its always best to go with other boats. I think you can call the harbor master and reserve a can but check on that for sure. If you've never tied up to a can overnight, be sure to get someone with experience to show you how...