PDA

View Full Version : The problem with Tunnels!

Rocket2003
09-08-2003, 07:02 AM
Yikes!
http://live.lakeshootout.com/uploads/boat_flip_saturday.jpg

Infomaniac
09-08-2003, 07:16 AM
I was there. Not the boat's fault.

TOBTEK
09-08-2003, 07:22 AM
what in the he-- happend? how did he do this? and I hope he was alright!

Cole
09-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Apparently, there were quite a few people from the boards who saw the flip, had to have been a SIGHT, to say the least!!
Not to change the subject but it is interesting to see the bottom view of the htm....it looks like the center sponson starts mid way through the boat Vs up front where a lot of boat sponsons start...

dorC
09-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Yea, those htm's do have a funny shaped center sponson. I ran on Sunday, and the water was absolutly perfect. Perhaps a bit too smooth, but certainly not the rollers that were present on Saturday. Apparently the boat his a roller at 120 and hooked to the right nose high. The boat then kited and came down. There is a pic of the driver being ejected. He was fortinatly OK. The boat was a total loss and the last I heard the engine was in 120' of water.

dorC
09-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Here are some more pics to satisfy your curiosity...
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?EventFrame?event=05NA0007

Cole
09-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Those are just nasty....how could anyone walk away??

FastTimmy
09-08-2003, 11:21 AM
No brains, No headaches. wink
That could be anyone of us doing the JOEY pass. At least he had a vest on.

mbrown2
09-08-2003, 11:25 AM
I feel safer at 100 in a tunnel then I do at 70 in semi-v boat...

XTRM22
09-08-2003, 11:48 AM
mbrown2:
I feel safer at 100 in a tunnel then I do at 70 in semi-v boat... I am a lifetime Vee owner, and I gotta agree with Brown on this one! I quit doing the poker runs partially cause nobody wanted to ride with me in my 64mph vee in poker run water. I rode with Charley last spring in the Heatwave Poker run and was in the back seat at 119mph and never had the ragged edge of disaster feeling I had in my 22' vee at 64mph. You run that hard, any boat can hurt cha, blowing over is just how the Cats do it. It's a serious rush running a vee at chinewalking speeds, but spin one out one time and you'll think twice about that rush.
Just my .02
Chuck
damn now I admitted to agreeing with Mbrown2, what's next? :p

LevoeDCB22
09-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Anything with a motors dangerous with a loose nut behind the wheel

jackpunx
09-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Infomaniac:
I was there. Not the boat's fault. When you say not the boats fault. Is that because he shouldn’t have been going that fast in those conditions?
Trim to high?
???
What was the issue.. not at all meant to knock the driver.. I just want to know what to avoid
Thanks

Reaper1
09-08-2003, 02:18 PM
T. Slick. Why don't you post that video here. wink

XTRM22
09-08-2003, 02:34 PM
LevoeDCB22:
Anything with a motors dangerous with a loose nut behind the wheel I resemble that remark! :D
Chuck

mbrown2
09-08-2003, 02:37 PM
XTRM22:
mbrown2:
I feel safer at 100 in a tunnel then I do at 70 in semi-v boat... I am a lifetime Vee owner, and I gotta agree with Brown on this one! Just my .02
Chuck
Just wanted to get that on record...might need it someday.. :D

Infomaniac
09-08-2003, 03:03 PM
jackpunx:
Infomaniac:
I was there. Not the boat's fault. When you say not the boats fault. Is that because he shouldn’t have been going that fast in those conditions?
Trim to high?
???
What was the issue.. not at all meant to knock the driver.. I just want to know what to avoid
Thanks Too fast for conditions and too much trim.
I was running a boat that was every bit as fast as that one but a bit smaller. After yanking out of the throttle from flying out of the water - went through the lights at 88 MPH.
I had a Kamikaze run planned also. Sorry he had to learn that lesson for me just before I ran.

Phat_Kat
09-08-2003, 03:23 PM
XTRM22:
mbrown2:
I feel safer at 100 in a tunnel then I do at 70 in semi-v boat... I am a lifetime Vee owner, and I gotta agree with Brown on this one! I quit doing the poker runs partially cause nobody wanted to ride with me in my 64mph vee in poker run water. I rode with Charley last spring in the Heatwave Poker run and was in the back seat at 119mph and never had the ragged edge of disaster feeling I had in my 22' vee at 64mph. You run that hard, any boat can hurt cha, blowing over is just how the Cats do it. It's a serious rush running a vee at chinewalking speeds, but spin one out one time and you'll think twice about that rush.
Just my .02
Chuck
damn now I admitted to agreeing with Mbrown2, what's next? :p From my experiences it's the height and size of the boat that causes the terror. The taller the boat the less terrifying the ride is. An F-29 sits much higher than a 22 vee. Try taking a ride in a large vee and see what you think then. It probably won't be as cofortable but it will probably prove my point. Another attribute that makes a tunnel feel safer than a vee is that a tunnel is far more graceful on the water. A vee lays over in turns while a tunnel simply drifts sideways and floats on top of the water. This is only my thoughts and experiences so you may disagree with me but I really think this is what makes a comfortable ride in a boat.
Thanks,
PK
[ September 08, 2003, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: Phat_Kat ]

jackpunx
09-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Infomaniac:
jackpunx:
Infomaniac:
Trim to high?
???
Thanks Too fast for conditions and too much trim.
I was running a boat that was every bit as fast as that one but a bit smaller. After yanking out of the throttle from flying out of the water - went through the lights at 88 MPH.
I had a Kamikaze run planned also. Sorry he had to learn that lesson for me just before I ran. thanks for the reply.. Sometimes I feel like everyone knows but me.. I have about 40 hr of seat time in my new boat.. Always had a jet before.. Now its all about the trim... I think I found the sweet spot for it.. I know when I get up a little over 80 if my trim is to high the nose of the boat will start to do little circles, gets really light.. if I bring it down just a click.. I still continue to go faster.. But it calms down a little.. Does that sound right?.. or should I leave the trim up and pray.. My boat will do 93 right now...I’m adding more power/prop this week.. Should give me at least another 15mph.. any info is welcome.. I dont want to end up on my back.
Thanks

Three Days Only
09-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Reaper1:
T. Slick. Why don't you post that video here. wink Here is the video of that crash, but first the callan marine boat runs 205... Open it windows media player.
callan video (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/985BOAT_RACE.wmv)
[ September 08, 2003, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Three Days Only ]

Well Done
09-08-2003, 07:34 PM
Hey Three Days Only.....the HTM Crash happened right in front of me. I would like to replay the video but it would not load. Anyone else have the same problem. 3day,,can you re-post the video? :)

Three Days Only
09-08-2003, 07:36 PM
It works, save to desktop then run in windows media player. Callan Marine Good - HTM BAD
[ September 08, 2003, 08:48 PM: Message edited by: Three Days Only ]

Well Done
09-08-2003, 08:03 PM
Thanks 3days....Video was taken from a different angle from where I was. Looked like trouble started a ways back. Infomaniac was the pilot of my tunnel just 6 boats behind the HTM. You can bet my ass was tight. In fact, you couldn't have driven a railroad spike up my but with a 16 pound sledge hammer!!! Felt a whole lot better when Infomaniac went through the traps. Lake conditions for our class was definately NOT good.

mbrown2
09-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Wow...that was pretty crazy....now that Callan boat was flat haulin...

Jrocket
09-08-2003, 08:33 PM
That video was scarry! Looked like bad water for the HTM.Not too sure about the trim setting,it happened really quick and kind of a bad angle to view it.I would say off set rollers were much of the blame.Sucks for him either way!Good to see he's ok.

syke-o
09-08-2003, 08:36 PM
thanks for the post of the video...

Charley
09-08-2003, 09:00 PM
awesome/scary video...scary crash mixed with awesome run!! damn!

unleashed
09-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Damn, Whats weird is that water doesnt look that bad. I guess that boat was just way to small. Seems like it was having problems from the beggining of that video. Now Callan Marine was the real shit. That thing sounded like a jet. Thanks for the video and glad no one was hurt.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

Kilrtoy
09-08-2003, 10:07 PM
Sometimes you have to back out of the throttle and try again....
I'm with Deano on this one, That boat was in trouble before it totally lost it.....

Infomaniac
09-09-2003, 10:04 AM
Water looked smooth huh Unleashed? That is why we decided to take the boat. Different story when you get out there. The boat would jump out of the water without warning. Seemed to do so for no apparent reason.
Now I can see why I let go of the throttle to hang on with both hands.
Probably a good decision.
Yes sometimes you have to yank out of the throttle. Not good for a winning run.
[ September 09, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

unleashed
09-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Yeah Info, I looked at the video again and it definitly does look smooth. I have a hunch though that there are long rollers out there that are oblivious to the eye but a different story for the boat. If you watch the video again even the shore break doesnt look like much. I guess different bodies of water have different types of conditions. Very tricky. In addition I wonder what the wind conditions were??? Thank goodness the boat ditched him the opposite direction of where it landed. That was a very close call.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) devil

OSUman
09-09-2003, 10:29 AM
WERE CAN YOU SEE THE VIDEO AT

Infomaniac
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
OSUman:
WERE CAN YOU SEE THE VIDEO AT ***VIDEO*** (http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/985BOAT_RACE.wmv)

RiverLife
09-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah, he got lucky geting thrown that way. I would have pulled back when the boat started to have trouble! You can't win (or impress people) if your boat sinks.
Deano, I don't ever want to see that sweet ass ride of yours even get a SCRATCH on it! Tame those 800s boy. :D

OSUman
09-09-2003, 10:57 AM
THANKS INFO
I APPRECIATE THE INFO YOU GAVE ME LAST NIGHT WITH THE MOTOR I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I WILL BE ABLE TO DO

FastTimmy
09-09-2003, 11:58 AM
HollYYYYYYYYY Shit!
I must have watched that video 20 times.
Just the chimming was bad not to mention the hopp he had going.

Freak
09-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Info what is your guess on his speed when all hell broke loose?

dorC
09-09-2003, 12:21 PM
I was told 120.
Fyi guys-It's a freekn' race!

Infomaniac
09-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Freak:
Info what is your guess on his speed when all hell broke loose? I think dorC saw the GPS recall loading the pieces on the trailer.
I never got over 98. I knew it was not going to make a pass that was even close to the boat's capability so it did not happen for us.
I heard the water was better the next day and we could have placed better but we were looking at 1st place or nothing. Chose nothing. Did not even try the second pass.
Interesting that there were several 130 MPH capable boats in our class but half the field ran under 100 MPH.
[ September 09, 2003, 01:30 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

HM
09-09-2003, 12:31 PM
What player do I need to play that video??

PlayTime
09-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Im wondering about the wind and the rollers. At 120 the wind if it hit him on the drivers side, wind has a funny way of pushing at the boat. Anybody think if he would have dropped the trim the boat could have been saved? I've never gone 120 in the boat but I do have own an SR24 and I know its got a very unique ride.
Any of you long timers have any recomendations for keeping myself out of that kind of trouble?
Info - Seen your posts - Any recommendations - Letting down on the trim, what you think?
The boat looks rather small compared to the others out there that day. Was it really windy that day?

jackpunx
09-09-2003, 12:46 PM
PlayTime:
Im wondering about the wind and the rollers. At 120 the wind if it hit him on the drivers side, wind has a funny way of pushing at the boat. Anybody think if he would have dropped the trim the boat could have been saved? I've never gone 120 in the boat but I do have own an SR24 and I know its got a very unique ride.
Any of you long timers have any recomendations for keeping myself out of that kind of trouble?
Info - Seen your posts - Any recommendations - Letting down on the trim, what you think?
The boat looks rather small compared to the others out there that day. Was it really windy that day? INFO.. I have a stoker sst224... that will be going 105+.. We need your advise.. This may be the wrong thread.. But can you give us some of your experience?
Thanks in advance..

HM
09-09-2003, 01:19 PM
RiverDave:
HolyMoly:
What player do I need to play that video?? It's playing fine on Windows Media player for me.
RD I get the error: Class not registered
:confused:

CEO
09-09-2003, 02:10 PM
WOW, that was awesome. Shit, it was scary with no sound, I can't imagine what it would be with sound.
Holy Moly, open windows media player, and then go to "tools" and click "options", and then check mark, "connect to the internet" then click "apply" that should solve your problem
CEO
[ September 09, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: CEOinSoCal ]

Three Days Only
09-09-2003, 02:33 PM
CEOinSoCal:
WOW, that was awesome. Shit, it was scary with no sound, I can't imagine what it would be with sound.
Holy Moly, open windows media player, and then go to "tools" and click "options", and then check mark, "connect to the internet" then click "apply" that should solve your problem
CEO CEO, It has sound. In fact the Callan Marine boat sounds sick!!!!!!!!! It gave me wood!!

PlayTime
09-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Not true Dave. We have these cool plastic things that play music. They are call 8-tracks.
So what up now wink :D
Thats some technology for you.

HM
09-09-2003, 04:01 PM
I had to download the latest version.....they had a special version for me V.909 wink

Infomaniac
09-09-2003, 04:21 PM
Guys We were running directly into 10 - 15 MPH sind that day.
My eyewitnesses told me the HTM was aired out but looking at the tape it looks like he may not have been.
Too fast for conditions is the culprit that I see.
I know an HTM likes a lot of trim but looks like he was not standing it up.
I had to run trimmed all the way down and it still would leave the water.
I normally run a fast cruise and trim until it is throwing a 3 - 4' tail. Ease into the throttle to wide open and tap the trim up to a specified point on the trim gage. The specified point conservative (stays at the 3 - 4' tail) until a lot of seat time in the boat is done. After some seat time Increase the specified trim point gradually. RPM's should increase as well as speed. Quit trimming if the boat feels loose or RPM's are going up and speed is not. You will find the sweet spot this way eventually.
[ September 09, 2003, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Infomaniac ]

HM
09-09-2003, 04:39 PM
It looks like both the Callen and HTM hit some rollers at a distance.
The HTM gets out of shape, then settles down, then...bam! hits a roller and never recovers.

Jrocket
09-09-2003, 05:08 PM
I think backing off the throttle would of been his best chance.Less trim would of still let the back kick up on the last roller,just my thoughts though.Either way,the chine walk could of been toned down but the last roller where the transom kicked up had him licked.No getting out of that one going that fast.

jackpunx
09-10-2003, 08:18 AM
Infomaniac:
Guys We were running directly into 10 - 15 MPH sind that day.
My eyewitnesses told me the HTM was aired out but looking at the tape it looks like he may not have been.
Too fast for conditions is the culprit that I see.
I know an HTM likes a lot of trim but looks like he was not standing it up.
I had to run trimmed all the way down and it still would leave the water.
I normally run a fast cruise and trim until it is throwing a 3 - 4' tail. Ease into the throttle to wide open and tap the trim up to a specified point on the trim gage. The specified point conservative (stays at the 3 - 4' tail) until a lot of seat time in the boat is done. After some seat time Increase the specified trim point gradually. RPM's should increase as well as speed. Quit trimming if the boat feels loose or RPM's are going up and speed is not. You will find the sweet spot this way eventually. thanks for the tip's

Tee
09-12-2003, 12:36 PM
Infomaniac:
I normally run a fast cruise and trim until it is throwing a 3 - 4' tail. Ease into the throttle to wide open and tap the trim up to a specified point on the trim gage. The specified point conservative (stays at the 3 - 4' tail) until a lot of seat time in the boat is done. After some seat time Increase the specified trim point gradually. RPM's should increase as well as speed. Quit trimming if the boat feels loose or RPM's are going up and speed is not. You will find the sweet spot this way eventually. Good stuff there Info. Will memorize it for when I get my new motor in my boat. Will have been almost 2 years from last blow up to getting this motor in and ready for the water.

h2oski2fast
09-15-2003, 11:17 AM
That type of accident can happen to anyone at anytime, if you're making a speed run. I see too many poeple running at speeds or 100+ with no saftey equipment on. If your not worried about wearing a life vest to save your life at least wear one so your loved ones don't have to wait 2 weeks for your body to surface.

h2oski2fast
09-15-2003, 03:54 PM
Dug that video of the Callan 6000hp turbine motor rocket. It sounded unreal.