PDA

View Full Version : Porpoising

Tahiti21
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Got the 21' Tahiti 454 Panther set-up in the water today. (Title and Reg still up in the air). NOW-It runs good!!!but having a problem with porpoising. Hit 5000 rpms and wanted more, but the air was blowing my glasses off even with holders, (any ideas on that?), so had to back off. Has 2 22 gal. tanks in back (FULL_cough , gag), along with motor, 2 passengers in back, 2 people up front, and it was dragging. Any ideas on getting the nose down at slower speeds. (Diets don't work too fast). Can't go wide open all the time, or I'll have to take out a Payday Cash loan. Trim tabs? And with the family size, there is probably never less than 4 in the boat!!!!

bigironsteve
07-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Do u have a diverter?

beerjet
07-03-2006, 08:20 PM
Are wedges possible on a panther ?
-beerjet-

jbone
07-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Glasses- try the Gatorz. They are indestructable and hold tight to the face.
As far as the porpoising, do you have a Place Diverter (PD). If not, it is the best investment. Helps to trim out porpoising at mid speeds and helps plane out at wot, plus you get the rooster.
If you do have a PD you could look at getting a ride plate, or adjusting the one you have.
I learned though that to get rid of all mid speed porpoising meant losing some top speed. I just put the PD down and it goes away, or accelerate and it goes away. My boat starts bouncing a little at about 40. When I have a lot of weight, it seems to help to put more up front.
There are a lot of jet experts on here, there are many adjustments that can made to make the jet ride better.
Good luck,
J

Tahiti21
07-03-2006, 08:28 PM
There's a trim plate under the jet, and its adjusted down as far as it will go.
Not sure what a diverter is (new to jets). Doesn't show in Panther manual.

jbone
07-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Look at this site.
I'm not sure if it will hook up to your pump though.
http://www.placediverter.com/
That plate under your pump is called a ride plate. You can try making slight adjustments there a little at a time to see what it does.
J

Tahiti21
07-03-2006, 08:47 PM
Looked at the site, Panther wasn't included in the applications.
I've got a set of trim tabs tho, maybe thats the way to go.

beerjet
07-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Looked at the site, Panther wasn't included in the applications.
I've got a set of trim tabs tho, maybe thats the way to go.
I would work in small incraments with what you have . If you start to add hardware to something that already isn't workin , IMO your just gonna compound the problem.
-beerjet-

YeLLowBoaT
07-03-2006, 11:34 PM
you could relocate your battery(s) up into the bow. That can make a huge diff on how it rides. Just be sure to use some beefy wire.
Not really the "best" thing to do, but it has worked for others.

Cas
07-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Panther Forum (http://p210.ezboard.com/fclassic***boatsfrm21)
we aren't using it anymore but there is a lot of good info for you to read up on. I'm kind of in the process of moving all that info toour new message board host.
a diverter would help you out a ton with the porpoising issue....I had the same boat as you a few years ago.

cave
07-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Cas, wasn't there a someone that made a diverter for a panther jet here from this forum. I remember reading it a while a go.

Cas
07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
yep, wrenchdaddy built that but I'm pretty sure he said it will only go up to toss a big rooster. What Tahiti21 needs to do is bring the bow down a bit to help the porpoising issue.
I had a similar problem with my 21' Tahiti Panther combo. In doing a bunch of measurements I found the pump was installed with a little too much up angle than what is spec'd out by Panther....apparently it's a fairly common issue.

smiggley
07-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Check the link. These guys make a kit for you pump, I believe.
http://www.jetboatperformance.com/index.php?p=jbpconversion

AZKC
07-04-2006, 09:35 AM
In doing a bunch of measurements I found the pump was installed with a little too much up angle than what is spec'd out by Panther....apparently it's a fairly common issue.
Yes it is :yuk: Mine gets it real bad at around 3500 all the way up to 5200. Seems to get better when the gas gets down under 1/2 tank. I'm thinking of trim tabs also to help.

Tahiti21
07-27-2006, 08:58 PM
Was disappointed with boat to the point of getting rid of it. Put the trim tabs on, and OMG! its a different boat!!!! Had 4 adults and 2 kids and she got on a plane as easy as pie. Handled good, love it now!!!! Drives like a Cadillac. :) +

78CoLe
07-28-2006, 12:37 AM
HAD a panther in my boat i made longer support from the bottom 2 bolts of the pump to the ride plat worked bitchen but that was in a 18' 78 COLE now i got a full set back berk pretty easy realy you take 2 buddys a 30 pack of coors lite all day at the river and a 1 in a million good runnin chevy beat me so got to my house got a drill and sawzall and kut that f@#ker out then spent about 4 months and alot of money then walla set back berk not to mention the cost of building a good pump to hold my bbf 472 cause panther wouldnt hold my motor always over reving and cavitating after about 800-1000 worth of work from panther jet pump in oregan picked up 7 mph just with pump swapran 65-67 gps after ran 72-74 gps but now runs 79.1 gps with headers intake carb still messing with harware so long story short get rid of that panther

AZKC
07-28-2006, 12:19 PM
Was disappointed with boat to the point of getting rid of it. Put the trim tabs on, and OMG! its a different boat!!!! Had 4 adults and 2 kids and she got on a plane as easy as pie. Handled good, love it now!!!! Drives like a Cadillac. :) +
Cool :) I've been looking at trim tabs to tame our boat.

atxwrangler
07-28-2006, 12:36 PM
I Would Try Adjusting The Ride Plate Up,little By Little And See How It Affects Performance,before Dropping Coin On Trim Tabs!