PDA

View Full Version : Home Electrical Question (Outdoor).

probablecause
07-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Here is the scenario: We park our toyhauler along the curb of our house (to get it prepped and ready to go) and the only way to plug it in is to run a long extension cord from the garage to the trailer. This is a pain in the a$$ and I am a lawsuit just waiting to happen as it runs across our sidewalk (yes, even with the orange cones, carpet covering it, and road flares).
We are doing all new grass and now have the time to run electrical to the grass area (between the sidewalk and the street) where we are going to put some palm trees in also. My question is do they make an in ground electrical box that I can sink into the ground that sits flush with my grass that has one of those greet covers on it OR do I have to go with one of the outdoor/weatherproof ones that has that ugly cover that I have to pole mount about a foot above the ground?

beyondhelpin
07-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Do you mean, do they have a floor plugin for the grass? Not an expert but my guess is no. If they do it would seem like a bad idea anyway. :220v: :220v: :220v:

Rexone
07-03-2006, 09:01 PM
If it were me I'd put it in a small sprinkler valve box and use a sealed electrical box inside for your plug in. Then switch it from the garage and only turn it on when you know it ain't fulla water (like rainin) and you're gonna use it. Obviously if you got a bunch of water don't turn it on.

cola
07-03-2006, 09:06 PM
You could dig a hole & fill it with gravel to about 1' from the top. Use a in-ground vault (about 9" round with cover) installed flush to grade. Install a 20 amp outlet with weather proof cover on a stake in vault close to top. Use a GFCI circuit breaker or mount a GFCI outlet @ the house and load wire the outlet at the street. Single circuit 30 amp residential circuit in schedule 40 pvc conduit min. 12" coverage.
Late, Mike

Rexone
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
You could dig a hole & fill it with gravel to about 1' from the top. Use a in-ground vault (about 9" round with cover) installed flush to grade. Install a 20 amp outlet with weather proof cover on a stake in vault close to top. Use a GFCI circuit breaker or mount a GFCI outlet @ the house and load wire the outlet at the street. Single circuit 20 amp residential circuit in schedule 40 pvc coundit min. 12" coverage.
Late, Mike
Now there the difference between and electrical expert and a marine parts salesman. :D

beyondhelpin
07-03-2006, 09:10 PM
Still seems like a bad idea to me. :idea: :220v: :)

YeLLowBoaT
07-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Its almost always illegal to run a box in the ground. I would say go for it, but the last thing you want is to have inspector come by and see it.
Normally you run a box about a foot off of grade. Almost all of them that I have put it where on some type of mail box.(almost always brick/rock) I have also see the "faux" rock that hides a box.

cola
07-03-2006, 09:43 PM
Its almost always illegal to run a box in the ground. I would say go for it, but the last thing you want is to have inspector come by and see it.
Normally you run a box about a foot off of grade. Almost all of them that I have put it where on some type of mail box.(almost always brick/rock) I have also see the "faux" rock that hides a box.
I'am not a electrician, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :cool:

YeLLowBoaT
07-03-2006, 09:47 PM
I'am not a electrician, I just stayed at a Holiday Inn last night. :cool:
I didn't even do that last night :)

Outnumbered
07-03-2006, 09:48 PM
These rocks look like they would work (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.stacksandstacks.com/image/109610_th.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.stacksandstacks.com/html/product558_0.htm&h=73&w=108&sz=6&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=wkLZDsLlJ5P9OM:&tbnh=54&tbnw=80&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhollow%2Bfaux%2Brock%26svnum%3D10%26h l%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLR,GGLR:2005-39,GGLR:en%26sa%3DN)
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/image/109610.jpg

beyondhelpin
07-03-2006, 10:24 PM
I didnt get to stay at a Holiday Inn last night. You guys know what I think? Bad Idea! :crossx: :crossx: :crossx:

rrrr
07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Now there the difference between and electrical expert and a marine parts salesman. :D
And a catalog printer...... :crossx: :crossx:

CBadDad
07-04-2006, 01:21 PM
If you're gonna put some trees in that area, how about some type of landscaping lights with an oulet box connectted? Just an idea.

ThongMagnet
07-04-2006, 05:14 PM
I like the extension cord with the carpet Idea. Be sure its plugged into a GFI outlet and typical Home owners insurance.
You also could pull the batteries and charge them in the garage.

Riomouse911
07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
The setback rules for your area will almost certainly disallow any electrical boxes near the street.. you could run 1.5" conduit under the grass and sidewalk, run a heavy-duty extension cord through it, and hide the plug end under a fake rock.. that way if you get asked to remove it, you can pull the cord from the conduit and all's OK.. (then if you want you can run fish-tape back thru, re-pull the cord and start again after the city/county inspector leaves.. this same conduit can run Malibu light cord, a phone extension cord etc as well...